Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the name of the forum be changed to "Football"...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

smilerf wrote: »
    I realise there lots of different nationalitys here but I as an Irishman never heard anyone call soccer "football"

Really??? all over Dublin in the local pubs you''ll hear it known as Football

Not really a huge deal either way.

Irish call it soccer and English and West Brits call it football.

*tis a joke. I find myself calling it either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

This is definitely a first world problem...

Soccer or football...

Hmm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I really, really cringe at the way gah fans say the word "footballer"

It's like "footbler".

Weird.

It's like "footbler".

Weird.

Wtf???

:D

Is this not better suited to after hours?? Lol

It's like "footbler".

Weird.

You need sound for this post I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It's like "footbler".

Weird.

It's more like fuppler.
    Colm O'Rourke is the worst offender.

It's more like fuppler.
    Colm O'Rourke is the worst offender.

yes, YES!

Although I don't often watch gah, when I'm in me folks house it does be on and yeah, that muldoon is the main culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Country folk eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Gah is gash atm, the Football is unwatchable
    The hurling is as competitive as women's tennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

There's only 2 of those that would be called football in this country and the other forum is called GAA already. I would understand if that one got the preference but if it's not then this one should be called football.

I agree to an extent but you just backed up my point . Why should the GAA forum be called GAA . GAA isnt even a game. Its an organisation that oversees several different sports. Football , hurling , handball , rounders and maybe more.
    By that reckoning the soccer forum should be called fifa or EPL forum , or association football (soccer) to give it its proper name

Rounders? How does a child's road game need a governing body?

OR are they claiming it as an "Irish" Sport? It's bleedin cricket with a tennis racket ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ, why are some people doing so much cringing?! People say different things, in different accents - let's not be so precious about such pointless differences. The world would be a much more boring place without them.

If you find yourself cringing at something like this, ask yourself whether it's really an issue with the person speaking, or just some arbitrarily ingrained "truth", that should really just be let go of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Rounders? How does a child's road game need a governing body?

OR are they claiming it as an "Irish" Sport? It's bleedin cricket with a tennis racket ffs.

It's not actually.

They use a baseball bat and a sliothar.

It's pretty much the sport that baseball is derived from and it's actually a pity it isn't promoted more as it looks like a good sport to play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

We only have one type of football in Kilkenny. :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cricket and baseball don't have the one handed catch gets the whole team out rule though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

shur the other lads hardly use their feet at all, with all the hopping and hand passing...
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/naming-the-beautiful-game-it-s-called-soccer-a-420024.html
    "Football was an essentially popular game, writes Murray, and the name originally referred to any ball game played on foot rather than on horseback. "

https://www.languageoffootball.com/2014/11/27/terminology-soccer/
    "the aristocratic classes preferred to play their sports on horseback, while the lowly peasants played on foot, hence football a game played on foot."

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/04/02/no-england-did-not-invent-football-soccer-as-we-know-it/
    "not because the ball is played with the feet, but because the game is played on foot rather than horseback."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

676006851.jpg?1350916570&Expires=1469611964&Signature=c4Aq0Qcgdh4Kx5zF3FZu2qVMyeMtMue~avcFvSu-FiSgm~QevCfgkjZoZQcjyLTPpyScRcFh74~M3GMzkErikPAXwzgqNqkaynJDMi~O9YT-qjOOiko~h4hKWudj2BOfwcdxFOYLA0j58W-tCmr0M8qUq~Mg0EZrwUDq9HciMzo_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA

Speaks for itself to be honest. Now, there is a counter gif made up of a bunch of other, mostly small or not very good countries which call it soccer which includes us....but the point stands.

When nearly the entire world calls it one thing, if you call it something else you are being contrary. Arguments about calling it soccer based on Association Soccer are missing the point. The world calls it football. Even if its supposed to be called soccer.....hardly anyone does outside the states. The only people here who refer to it as soccer are GAA heads. If you go to a LOI game or even down your local park to watch an underage game......you wont hear the word "soccer" mentioned once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Kirby wrote: »
    676006851.jpg?1350916570&Expires=1469611964&Signature=c4Aq0Qcgdh4Kx5zF3FZu2qVMyeMtMue~avcFvSu-FiSgm~QevCfgkjZoZQcjyLTPpyScRcFh74~M3GMzkErikPAXwzgqNqkaynJDMi~O9YT-qjOOiko~h4hKWudj2BOfwcdxFOYLA0j58W-tCmr0M8qUq~Mg0EZrwUDq9HciMzo_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA

Speaks for itself to be honest. Now, there is a counter gif made up of a bunch of other, mostly small or not very good countries which call it soccer which includes us....but the point stands.

When nearly the entire world calls it one thing, if you call it something else you are being contrary. Arguments about calling it soccer based on Association Soccer are missing the point. The world calls it football. Even if its supposed to be called soccer.....hardly anyone does outside the states. The only people here who refer to it as soccer are GAA heads. If you go to a LOI game or even down your local park to watch an underage game......you wont hear the word "soccer" mentioned once.
    Calcio is used in Italy. It's funny how most of those countries are non-Germanic and yet they're using a respelling of a Germanic word. To them "football" would be a lot more arbitrary than soccer is to English speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes but the people who play and watch the sport call it football. Even the governing bodies dont have soccer anywhere in their title.

UEFA is the Union of European Football Associations.
    FIFA is Fédération Internationale de Football Association. The English FA. The list goes on.

Even our guys dont call it the Soccer Association.....The irish FA up north and FA of Ireland here. they call it by its used name. Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

The sport is football. The name "soccer" is the preserve of Americana and people in Ireland who don't like the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So what

Who cares what people call it.

In Australia the people in New South Wales and Queensland call rugby league football.
    In South Australia and Victoria they call AFL football.

I've heard rugby people in this country refer to rugby union as football, "so and so is a good football player".

So what, why do people cringe at the word soccer.

Are they afraid that if they use it too much the Americans will take over and we will have time outs etc ?

I've never heard an American refer to " American" football as American football ball or "gridiron", its always football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The sport is football. The name "soccer" is the preserve of Americana and people in Ireland who don't like the sport.

I like soccer, when I say football I mean GAA football.

I'm Irish and I like soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Soccer is not an American term. It started in England, where at the time there was a trend to shorten terms, hence Association Football became SOCcer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I like the sport. I still often call it soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

In Ireland this forum is about Soccer.

Call it what you like if you want to make a point but I'll only call it football with English people or when it's already been defined in a conversation.

Football can be AFL, NFL, RU and RL also depending who I'm talking to and where. There's limited humour to be had from arguing which sport should be called football and you'll look like an idiot pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You eat the term that originated in 1860s England? http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

I prefer 'football' but the chip some have on their shoulder over the word 'soccer' is mystifying, especially as it is what the sport was originally referred to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

A thread is "attention seeking"?

Strange. That may be your reason for threads, but I think it would be odd to seek attention on an anonymous forum.

Either way, is that your 3rd or 4th post? Got your attention anyway...

Just saw this now, I meant the thread was attention seeking on your parrt. You're either being intentionally obtuse or I was giving you more credit than I should have, and I wasn't giving much.

Just saw this now, I meant the thread was attention seeking on your parrt. You're either being intentionally obtuse or I was giving you more credit than I should have, and I wasn't giving much.

Yet another post about me?

You could set up a thread about me and leave this for those who actually accept that the name of the sport is a valid topic. Granted, not profound, but again, we are on a football...or soccer...forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Yet another post about me?

You could set up a thread about me and leave this for those who actually accept that the name of the sport is a valid topic. Granted, not profound, but again, we are on a football...or soccer...forum.

You dont want a reply, dont quote me, simple. Either that or put me on ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I suspect that anyone who has strong feelings on this either way is likely the sort of person who doesn't really like another form of football and thinks theirs is superior.

Among my group of friends who would mostly be lads who used to play rugby and quite a few played GAA (hurling and football) we would use the term football quite loosely possibly depending on the time of year. Soccer would be referred to as both soccer and football, Gaelic football as both Gah and football and often call rugby both Rugby and footy.

It generally has to do with what we are talking about or if big games clash in different codes.

This football > soccer stuff is just dickish constructed-elitism.

You say "only GAA heads", but the All Ireland Football final was the most watched event on Irish television last year.

Honestly, I think this is a silly argument regardless, as if there's something dirty or fake about saying soccer. But even in logical terms - we have a national sport that, whether you like it or not, is very popular, and is also called Football. it only makes sense to use Soccer at times to differentiate - especially on a widely used Forum which caters to both sports.

Feel free to keep calling it football yourself, as I will, but there's no need to be actively annoyed by people saying something else. As you said, maybe it is contrary to the norm, but so what? There's nought wrong with a bit of contrariness. We'd all be in a little backslapping bubble without it.

Really, people need to start getting over these cultural differences as if there's something inherently 'wrong' with another way or saying or doing things. The last thing we need these days is another stupid, arbitrary reason to divide people into "us" and "them".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'll call it what I grew up calling it and that's football.

I never went to ''Soccer'' Training. I went to Football training etc

People can go back and claim it was called X Y Z years ago but I'll always call it what I was thought

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Should be football because that's what's in general use. Not a big deal of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

They should change the Forum Name to Football. Nobody but nobody will ever use the line "Did u watch the Soccer Euros Final? " :eek::confused:

Its Football...Footie... Fussball etc only Americans ( becuase they want to protect 'American Football /NFL' from a " foreign" game) and Gah heads (becuase they want to protect 'Gaelic Football' from THE "foreign" game).

Same thinking that the coaches refuse to let kids train in any Premier League" kit ...its has to be O'Neills or Gaa County produced gear ...or no training given. Kid was sent home cause he was a Barca shirt. :| :mad:
    Rugby, Hurling, Gaelic Football etc.
    Football is Football, Fifa, Uefa, played at the World Cup & Euros, only sport played in South America.
    Perfected by the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Cryff, Zidane, Pele Etc. :)

Its time to change the Forum to FOOTBALL.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

smilerf wrote: »
    I realise there lots of different nationalitys here but I as an Irishman never heard anyone call soccer "football"

And as an Irishman let me list the following for you;

Football Association of Ireland
    Republic of Ireland National Football Team

Bohemian Football Club
    Bray Wanderers Association Football Club
    Cork City Football Club
    Derry City Football Club
    Dundalk Football Club
    Finn Harps Football Club
    Galway United Football Club
    Longford Town Football Club
    Shamrock Rovers Football Club
    Sligo Rovers Football Club
    St. Patrick's Athletic Football Club
    Wexford Youths Football Club

Athlone Town Football Club
    Cabinteely Football Club
    Cobh Ramblers Football Club
    Drogheda United Football Club
    Limerick Football Club
    Shelbourne Football Club
    UCD Association Football Club
    Waterford United Football Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

They should change the Forum Name to Football. Nobody but nobody will ever use the line "Did u watch the Soccer Euros Final? " :eek::confused:

Its Football...Footie... Fussball etc only Americans ( becuase they want to protect 'American Football /NFL' from a " foreign" game) and Gah heads (becuase they want to protect 'Gaelic Football' from THE "foreign" game).

Same thinking that the coaches refuse to let kids train in any Premier League" kit ...its has to be O'Neills or Gaa County produced gear ...or no training given. Kid was sent home cause he was a Barca shirt. :| :mad:
    Football is Football, Fifa, Uefa, played at the World Cup & Euros, only sport played in South America.

Thank you.

I've played GAA since i was 6 never came across anything like this . In fact we sometimes play soccer after trainings before a big game to unwind . I think you are still stuck in the 80/90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

salmocab wrote: »
    I suspect that anyone who has strong feelings on this either way is likely the sort of person who doesn't really like another form of football and thinks theirs is superior.

Among my group of friends who would mostly be lads who used to play rugby and quite a few played GAA (hurling and football) we would use the term football quite loosely possibly depending on the time of year. Soccer would be referred to as both soccer and football, Gaelic football as both Gah and football and often call rugby both Rugby and footy.

It generally has to do with what we are talking about or if big games clash in different codes.

Nail on the head there .

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    UCD Association Football Club

I knew it! :pac:

You forgot the Aussies. And the Kiwis. And South Africans. Also the Canadians. Japanese, too. Also Korea, and large chunks of Oceania on top of that - that's probably around 700mn, or 10% of the world's population.

Then you've got places like Italy, where I believe 'calcio' literally translates to 'heel', and the term seems to predate 'football' or 'soccer' by hundreds of years - really interesting 'taking a dump' read here: https://www.languageoffootball.com/2015/01/21/terminology-calcio/

In Slovenia/Croatia/Bosnia they call it nogomet, and in parts of Southeast Asia, anything from bola sepak ('kick ball'), Ball-pwe (couldn't get the translation) or bong da (which together google translate calls 'soccer', but separately translates as 'skin ball' :eek: ).

I'm not trying to sound like a dick by the way, I just things like that really interesting. :o

Here's a map of what they call in in different places... unfamiliar ones in shades of red/pink (like jalkapallo in Finland) appear to all literally translate to 'football'.

original.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Of course, football, change it to its proper name

Max Powers wrote: »
    Of course, football, change it to its proper name
    On that basis, we should also change rugby to just 'football' as it's proper name too. Then we can have two sports both called football! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A lot of Dubs who've never left the Pale in this thread by the looks of things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Can we change it to Calcio please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

TheNap wrote: »
    I've played GAA since i was 6 never came across anything like this . In fact we sometimes play soccer after trainings before a big game to unwind . I think you are still stuck in the 80/90s

I once had the same two coaches for both my soccer and gaelic teams. Both also loved watching. But if you believe what you read on boards, all GAA coaches are bitter individuals who want to destroy foreign games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

keane2097 wrote: »
    A lot of Dubs who've never left the Pale in this thread by the looks of things.

What does this even mean?

SantryRed wrote: »
    It means someone hasn't been keeping track of who the current All Ireland champions, and holders of 3 of the last 5, are. :p

SantryRed wrote: »

I'm guessing just that what was taken as the norm in Dublin (or indeed, cities in general) may not have been the case in more rural areas. (though obviously there's a bit of a barb to it too)

To be honest, I grew up in a rural Cork village calling it soccer (as did everyone around me) until I was probably 12 or so, and went to secondary school in the city. From then onwards it mostly switched over to being called football.

imo for clarification purposes alone, on this forum calling it soccer makes much more sense. Everyone knows at a glance exactly what this overall forum (tickets & travel, coaching, general chat) relates to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thank you.

Nobody calls it the football euros final either
    Americans aren't calling it soccer to protect anything they do it for clarity because to them football is american football.
    Same with a lot of GAA supporters
    Far from the only sport played in South America.
    Soccer makes this clear on the forum and makes sense here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement