Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs that invoke an emotional resp

Options
  • 18-07-2016 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

"Positively 4th Street" by Bob Dylan personally invokes an emotional response from me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

On the up side- Tom Petty

On the down side- Radiohead (surprisingly enough)

Tbh, there's loads but that will do to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Asleep - The Smiths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Does all music in general not invoke emotional responses? Even listening to music you hate invokes negative emotional responses from you.

The following is a common 2-D chart of emotions:

Circumplex.jpg

Every song in some way will invoke at least one of the above emotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Does all music in general not invoke emotional responses? Even listening to music you hate invokes negative emotional responses from you.

The following is a common 2-D chart of emotions:

Circumplex.jpg

Every song in some way will invoke at least one of the above emotions.

Yes and you could also say that about nearly everything you do in general like looking out your window or going for walk, thinking about work. Some things are more emotionally provoking than others.

I don't know, I guess I meant a song that stands out to you. When I hear Positively 4th Street, I get a bit annoyed by listening to it. Sometimes it will remind me of someone or other times I'm just annoyed at the fictional person in the story. I love that song but i still get a bit annoyed when I listen to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I remember years ago when we had radios all over the house and one was playing in the kitchen while my mother was making dinner. A gentle song came on and after it was over my dad left the room. Mom sensed something was going on and followed him. She came back in a few minutes later and said "your father had to go lie down". Many years later she told me he was so affected by the song that he had to go have a cry... and my father was normally a very stoic man. This was the song, and it chokes me up too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c

See, my grandfather had been, for years, a political prisoner in a Russian camp, and missed out on a lot of my father's young childhood, and when he got back, he was a changed man--withdrawn and hypercritical, no good father for a sensitive, anxious boy who these days would have been diagnosed as high-functioning autistic.

Advertisement