Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple send-in repair

Options
  • 18-07-2016 8:38am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone done this recently? How does it work? Do they actually send you an empty box for you to send back to them? Will I have to sign for it?

The last time I used it was years ago and the courier took and packaged the iPod in front of me.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

They send you an empty box with a pre paid shipping label. You ring the number to arrange for a collection. Pack the package up and get the drier to sign the booklet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the empty box flat packed? Will it fit in the letter box or will I need to be home for it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its not flat packed but it doenst have a very deep profile. I dont think you will have a problem. let me see if I can find the return package (same box)

That's a 10c coin in front

Case is for a 6 plus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks, godtabh.

Jeez, that's tiny. That was for an iPhone, yeah? Were you waiting long to get it back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Has anyone done this recently? How does it work? Do they actually send you an empty box for you to send back to them? Will I have to sign for it?

The last time I used it was years ago and the courier took and packaged the iPod in front of me.

They send an empty box, yes you sign for it. Depends on the courier if he/she is no rush they will take it there and then

yeah for the 6 plus. Comes with inserts to protect it.

Actually it comes with a bigger box to surround it but it isnt that deeper.

Turn around was about 5 days

I was experiencing random shutdowns when battery life fell below 30%, like the battery was failing. But now the problem seems to have stopped. Coconutbattery is reporting normal enough battery heath. Now I'm not sure whether to send it in if it's only going to get sent back to me.

Am I correct in saying that the Express Replacement Service is now only available to AppleCare+ customers? When did this happen? The page on the website is very confusing and includes an out-of-warranty fee despite starting that the service is a benefit of AppleCare+.

Am I correct in saying that the Express Replacement Service is now only available to AppleCare+ customers? When did this happen? The page on the website is very confusing and includes an out-of-warranty fee despite starting that the service is a benefit of AppleCare+.

Hey, ERS is only available to AC+ customers so yes your correct. The OOW cost is the max repair cost and will cover a replacement if required

• Advertisement

It's silly that users under warranty can't avail of it for a fee, especially when there's no Apple Store in Ireland.

I need to get this problem fixed soon as my warranty is up in under a month. Seriously considering going up to Belfast.

It's silly that users under warranty can't avail of it for a fee, especially when there's no Apple Store in Ireland.

I need to get this problem fixed soon as my warranty is up in under a month. Seriously considering going up to Belfast.

Yeah they have a store in Victoria Square, they also have a mail in option you can avail of without AC+. They send you a box to collect your phone and you send it back, they cover courier costs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yep! But i took a spin up to the Belfast store and they replaced mine there and then. Personally i think Apple are shysters in reality. If you pay a lot of money for a phone and it goes wrong they should make sure you're not out of pocket and downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This changed back in January 2016. Had a long argument with some chap called "WhiteRebel" on here who tried to convince everyone otherwise.

The out of warranty fee would apply if you don't have incidents remaining on your AC+ agreement to cover the cost of accidental damage. Unlikely but the prices have to be there in case it happens.

Well I sent my phone off on Wednesday. Problem was getting worse and my warranty is up soon.

Not impressed by UPS. The box was delayed and rescheduled getting to me and delayed and rescheduled again going back to Apple. Looks like it will be sitting in a depot in the UK for the weekend only miles from its destination.

Next iPhone I'll be getting AppleCare+ with ERS. This sending away business is too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Had ups pick up my phone on Monday reached apple Wednesday morning, got notification that a replacement had been ship Thursday night and received new phone Friday afternoon after coming from UK via Germany!

This is now my second replacement iPhone6. Wonder will I get over a years use of this one.

Had ups pick up my phone on Monday reached apple Wednesday morning, got notification that a replacement had been ship Thursday night and received new phone Friday afternoon after coming from UK via Germany!

This is now my second replacement iPhone6. Wonder will I get over a years use of this one.

That's pretty good turnaround, I guess. What went wrong with the previous two phones?

Oh and to answer my earlier question, UPS will put the empty box through your letter box without a signature, so you don't have to be home for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

That's pretty good turnaround, I guess. What went wrong with the previous two phones?

First one would randomly crash, would get a blue or red screen on start up. Was happening for a while but was still usable until it started happening more often and got unusable so send it for repair while still under warranty, that was around November last year, no problems with replacement phone until recently when I'd plug in the charger and nothing would happen, would have to fiddle with it to get it to charge. That was fine until last week when the battery drained and couldn't get it to charge anymore.

Rang Apple on Friday and girl I spoke to said as I had it less than a year I should have no problem getting it repaired/replaced. Dunno if that was because I have AppleCare or would they have replaced it anyway.

Had the option of going to Compu b but figured sending it away would be best

I've been quite lucky in comparison. This is the first iPhone I've have had to get replaced.

For anyone who went the CompuB route, was it any faster/better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I've been quite lucky in comparison. This is the first iPhone I've have had to get replaced.

For anyone who went the CompuB route, was it any faster/better?
    id avoid compub at all costs.they just end up doing the same thing and shipping the phone to apple.

Apple received it this morning, diagnosed it and has already shipped a replacement. Pretty fast once it finally gets to them!

My replacement iPhone (which arrived yesterday) just restarted itself for no reason. I wasn't even using it at the time. I hope I didn't get another lemon.

Anyone ever have this problem? I'm hoping it might be an iOS 10 issue.

My replacement iPhone (which arrived yesterday) just restarted itself for no reason. I wasn't even using it at the time. I hope I didn't get another lemon.

Anyone ever have this problem? I'm hoping it might be an iOS 10 issue.

You sure its not the same phone?

godtabh wrote: »
    You sure its not the same phone?

Yeah different serial number. Different issue as well (if this is an issue). What was happening before was random shutdowns at low battery percentages. It was most likely a bad battery. This was a random restart. If it keeps happening I'd be thinking a memory problem. But it could just be a software glitch/crash as well.

Advertisement