Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone suffering from Fibroids?

Options
  • 18-07-2016 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else is having some trouble with fibroids in their pregnancy. I had no idea that I even had them until a scan showed up some tissue. It's not currently problematic in current pregnancy, but they're keeping an eye on it. It's just that it's grown to apple-size and is starting to feel uncomfortable as the belly grows. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?
    I was told it's common, but seeing as I've seen so little about it here, I wonder if it actually is...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

I'm very early in my pregnancy (9 weeks) but apparently I have fibroids too. I was due to go for an MRI to find out the extent of them when I found out I was pregnant so that never happened. Had an early scan 2 weeks ago and my consultant could see them. At that stage (and still) I was mainly worried about them causing a miscarriage or something like that however my doctor said they usually don't cause issues in pregnancy but sometimes can cause abdominal pain in later stages.

I'm sure that's stuff you already know so I'm sorry I don't have anything new to add. Lots of things I've read about them indicate that they're very very common. I'd be keen to hear others' stories too as it's quite possibly something I'll be dealing with later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

on the upside, I can say mine stopped growing after week 19, or at least it's not been noticeably bigger. It started grape size at early stages.
    I've another smaller one lower down, and if it has stopped growing, it shouldn't be an issue. If it did grow it could be in the way for the baby. It's just annoying now cos the top one is running out of space and sometimes ends up under my ribs so I can't fold forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They found my small one for the first time at our early scan at 9 weeks, it had doubled by the 20 week scan but was still small so I was able to stay on the midwife-led service. The only thing that they did strongly recommend was a managed 3rd stage as apparently fibroids can cause a bit more bleeding afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Same here in that they found 3 small ones at my 20 week scan on my first. They measured them and said they were very small. Thankfully they never grew. I mentioned them again at scan time during my second pregnancy. This time they just noted the amount and didn't measure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

They found my small one for the first time at our early scan at 9 weeks, it had doubled by the 20 week scan but was still small so I was able to stay on the midwife-led service. The only thing that they did strongly recommend was a managed 3rd stage as apparently fibroids can cause a bit more bleeding afterwards.

I'll have to ask about that then next time as I was hoping to go through a physiological third stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement