Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

david75 wrote: »
    R2?

solo-trailer-05.jpg?w=669

Probably just an Imperial astromech.

star-wars-r2q5-sixth-scale-sideshow-silo-100382.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

He’s a beauty. Was in a deleted scene with Vader in ROTJ I think.

Full trailer in a few hours. Hopefully a little more give in it in tone and story.

Lucasfilm makes the films. Disney releases them. They don’t get involved with the production at all, they write the cheques, they do the marketing and collect the box office. .

You keep saying this Dave, but you know it's not true.

Disney OWNS LFL, they paid BILLIONS for it. Damn right they will have a say in how production goes.

You should see my car. And she only had to contend with the M50 for the past 10 years - not quite the Kessel Run, but close.

Does it do the M50 in 12 parsecs?

Tony EH wrote: »
    You keep saying this Dave, but you know it's not true.

Disney OWNS LFL, they paid BILLIONS for it. Damn right they will have a say in how production goes.

You don’t buy the best in the business and then start telling them how to do their business. Doesn’t make any sense. :)
    They had TFA Rogue one and TLJ all in various stages of production consecutively and overlapping. No mean feat. Plus you don’t stand over Kathleen Kennedy’s shoulder either, remembering she’s head of LFL now and not Disney. It’s all the one though. Disney only answers to its shareholders on quaterly calls. That’s close enough :)

• Advertisement

You don’t buy the best in the business and then start telling them how to do their business. Doesn’t make any sense. :)
    They had TFA Rogue one and TLJ all in various stages of production consecutively and overlapping. No mean feat. Plus you don’t stand over Kathleen Kennedy’s shoulder either, remembering she’s head of LFL now and not Disney. It’s all the one though. Disney only answers to its shareholders on quaterly calls. That’s close enough :)

You mean like Roman Abramovich? ;)

When you pay millions/billions for something, you'll have your say, whether it's right or wrong.

And Kennedy's getting her orders too. You bet your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

I am going to VERY cautiously say that this looks promising.

It looks and feels about right so hopefully it will be pretty good.

Maybe it's just possible that Disney think it'll flop because it isn't as generically mainstream as they would want. It could actually be a good movie.

Saruhashi wrote: »
    I am going to VERY cautiously say that this looks promising.

It looks and feels about right so hopefully it will be pretty good.

Maybe it's just possible that Disney think it'll flop because it isn't as generically mainstream as they would want. It could actually be a good movie.

It's just a pity it's Solo and not somebody else. :(

If it were new characters entirely, I'd be totally on board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Disney definitely has input into the production. It's crazy to suggest otherwise. Day-to-day production they wouldn't be that involved in, of course not. LFL is a production company and that's what production companies do: make movies. All the creative choices would originate within LFL. But Disney approve everything, including the script, director, crew, reshoots, locations, etc. They are kept in the loop throughout and if they don't like something it doesn't happen, period.

That said, it is definitely overstated how involved Disney are. Some people seem to think they basically write the movie, do up the storyboards and give them to the director to shoot. I remember an interview with TFA's DP Dan Mindel in which the interviewer asked him this. The guy actually thought Disney gave Abrams a shot list. Sure if that was true they wouldn't need a director.

Get in the sea fake Han Solo film nobody wants

solo-trailer-01.jpg?w=669

• Advertisement

It's just a pity it's Solo and not somebody else. :(

If it were new characters entirely, I'd be totally on board.

Yeah, I think that's probably my biggest objection here.

I think a story about a bad-ass pilot in the Star Wars universe who might be a good guy or a bad guy or a bit of both is difficult to screw up.

One of the ways it could potentially be screwed up is by ruining an established and beloved character.

From a fan perspective it's too risky.

From Disney's perspective, who cares? They just want the money. The "Solo" label is worth maybe half a billion? Quarter of a billion? Plus merchandise sales?

He looks and sounds like a good Han Solo but it's a very short clip. I am feeling optimistic.

Get in the sea fake Han Solo film nobody wants

solo-trailer-01.jpg?w=669

The real Han Solo didn't have curly hair.

Chewie knows a fake when he sees one.

Gonna take a gamble here Tony and say you’re going to love this and I’m going to hate it. There’s humble pie hats being eaten either way :)

I think a story about a bad-ass pilot in the Star Wars universe who might be a good guy or a bad guy or a bit of both is difficult to screw up.

One of the ways it could potentially be screwed up is by ruining an established and beloved character.

From Disney's perspective, who cares? They just want the money. The "Solo" label is worth maybe half a billion? Quarter of a billion? Plus merchandise sales?

He looks and sounds like a good Han Solo but it's a very short clip. I am feeling optimistic.

Yeh, cautious optimisim, very cautious optimisim. But that mini trailer has my attention piqued, I'll admit.

But yeh, if it had been Jek Malok, or Reige Callistan* - Imperial hotshot pilot who defects when he sees just what they stand for - I'd be getting out the bunting now, because that would be "A Star Wars story" I'd be behind fully.

But, it's not...

...so I won't. :(

*Star Wars names are easy!!! :pac:

Gonna take a gamble here Tony and say you’re going to love this and I’m going to hate it. There’s humble pie hats being eaten either way :)

LOL, probably.

Well definitely know more in a few hours after the main trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don’t completely disagree with you but I don’t agree with the “it could ruin an established character” narrative. If the prequels didn’t ruin the franchise and whiny, annoying Anakin didn’t ruin Darth Vader then it would stand to reason that pretty much anything from a prequel movie can’t taint the original characters we love!

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don’t completely disagree with you but I don’t agree with the “it could ruin an established character” narrative. If the prequels didn’t ruin the franchise and whiny, annoying Anakin didn’t ruin Darth Vader then it would stand to reason that pretty much anything from a prequel movie can’t taint the original characters we love!

But Drum, it's possible (in fact, it's imperative) to divorce pissing and moaning Anakin from Badass Darth, because there's a considerable time difference occuring between 'Revenge of the Sith' and 'Star Wars'. In the same way that McGregor's Kenobi doesn't jar (jar) that badly with Guinness's Kenobi.

But Ehrenreich's Han Solo is appearing in the same decade as Ford's Han Solo. There's just no way that that isn't going to have an impact on how we view the character now, expecially if all the unnecessary explanations that we're going to get in this film are twee and unsatisfying. Solo is going to exit teh screen as Ehrenreich and reenter as Ford all in the space of a few years.

Sure, we can eliminate it from our viewing, but the story goes into canon.

Actually that's a good point.

Maybe this will actually be good!

I can see this one being a big hit with joe public and a new source of outrage for Star Wars fans for th reasons cited above.

However, it’s being really well received on twitter almost all positive. That’s unusual.
    It definitely feels like Star Wars but new somehow. That’s some trick to pull off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

**** Disney.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What about all those childhoods the prequels ruined though? Isn't that the same thing as ruining the stories/characters from the OT? I think you underestimating how much pain and suffering these films can cause fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

**** Disney.

Bit early to be giving it 4 Stars

The real Han Solo didn't have curly hair.

Chewie knows a fake when he sees one.

I dunno. I think they’ve kinda nailed his hair

solo.jpg

star-wars-adult-han-solo-wig.jpg

Seriously though. It’s kinda curly haha!
    I’m not too bothered about looks. If he can sound /move like him that’ll be the clincher. He definitely sounds like him in that trailer

WeeklyMessyCapeghostfrog-max-1mb.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

**** Disney.

Their business practises can be pretty ruthless and cynical when they want to be, but they didn't get where they are today without knowing how to craft a decent film or two. Love them or loath them, by all accounts they've married the artistic with the creative pretty successfully.

I can see this one being a big hit with joe public and a new source of outrage for Star Wars fans for th reasons cited above.

However, it’s being really well received on twitter almost all positive. That’s unusual.
    It definitely feels like Star Wars but new somehow. That’s some trick to pull off.

I am predicting that the fans will love it but the critics will hate it.

Then we'll have a series of articles about how online trolls are mass up-voting the Han Solo movie on RT.

Let's see what the full trailer is like.

Oh cool.
    I’d forgotten the DP on this also did Arrival.
    This is definitely a serious feather in its cap.
    It’ll be gorgeous cinematography at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

He’s a beauty. Was in a deleted scene with Vader in ROTJ I think.

Full trailer in a few hours. Hopefully a little more give in it in tone and story.

Any idea what time it's due?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jabba and I agree about the trailer.

Any idea what time it's due?

It started about an hour ago and is on for about three hours I think so it’ll be in the Last ad break if the follow previous.

It’ll be on the Star Wars YouTube channel immediately so couple of hours I’d say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's utterly bizarre how, in a sport I have neither interest nor even a modicum of respect for, the ad-breaks during its broadcast have become a promotional mecca for every upcoming Blockbuster we might have an interest for.

Reading today that the average American football game has only 11 minutes actual play time.
    It goes on for three hours sometimes. Wtf do they be doing???

Such a boring sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It started about an hour ago and is on for about three hours I think so it’ll be in the Last ad break if the follow previous.

It’ll be on the Star Wars YouTube channel immediately so couple of hours I’d say.

Looking forward to it. My interest has been seriously piqued by that teaser.

There's no doubt it will feel odd knowing that it's only a few years between this and A New Hope but with different actors. But there are moments when I look at Ehrenreich and I think they may have got this spot on in terms of his likeness to Ford at least. Particularly the cheeky grin...I'm hoping we get a shot of that in the trailer.

Been watching a couple of clips him being interviewed and I could even hear something like that famous Ford drawl. Time will tell.

If its even halfway decent as a story we won’t even notice. We know it’s gonna be visually stunning.

• Advertisement

Reading today that the average American football game has only 11 minutes actual play time.
    It goes on for three hours sometimes. Wtf do they be doing???

Such a boring sport.

Dan marino was still playing for the Miami Dolphins the last American football game I watched, so I haven't watched a game in quite a while. But, yeh it's tedious and I'll never understand its draw. It's all yardage and "plays". There's no flow whatsoever. So that 11 minutes sounds about right.

Give me real football any day of the week.

Dan marino was still playing for the Miami Dolphins the last American football game I watched, so I haven't watched a game in quite a while. But, yeh it's tedious and I'll never understand its draw. It's all yardage and "plays". There's no flow whatsoever. So that 11 minutes sounds about right.

Give me real football any day of the week.

You’d imagine rugby would be huge in the states. It’s non stop by comparison and brutally physical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I wanted to see the trailer, just jumped on youtube and had to wade through the "reaction" vids. Holy crap, this sub industry is horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

This looks far better than I expected it to. Pessimism waning slightly!

• Advertisement

Pretty much this :)

You're quoting your own Tweets now David? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Those 2 girls are far too attractive for that to work - TLJ girl would be a 600 pound, bald and hairy, pig ugly 60 year old :o

pixelburp wrote: »
    You're quoting your own Tweets now David? :)

I couldn’t find the pic online to link it :)

‘GMA preview for upcoming #Solo trailer featured several new shots, including Thandie Newton, more Woody, more Lando, and Emilia on the Falcon with Han & Chewie! Trailer Within the hour’

I couldn’t find the pic online to link it :)

Yeah but if you started replying to your own posts / tweets, then perhaps it's time to step back ;)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah but if you started replying to your own posts / tweets, then perhaps it's time to step back ;)

Didn’t reply to my own post?

Didn’t reply to my own post?

IF you start. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

But Drum, it's possible (in fact, it's imperative) to divorce pissing and moaning Anakin from Badass Darth, because there's a considerable time difference occuring between 'Revenge of the Sith' and 'Star Wars'. In the same way that McGregor's Kenobi doesn't jar (jar) that badly with Guinness's Kenobi.

But Ehrenreich's Han Solo is appearing in the same decade as Ford's Han Solo. There's just no way that that isn't going to have an impact on how we view the character now, expecially if all the unnecessary explanations that we're going to get in this film are twee and unsatisfying. Solo is going to exit teh screen as Ehrenreich and reenter as Ford all in the space of a few years.

Sure, we can eliminate it from our viewing, but the story goes into canon.

I know what you are saying but I feel it’s the same as how people are reacting differently to the new movies.

I love the originals and the universe but I am not rigid on the parameters to new movies that dabble into them or could effect how I feel about the old Ones. If you are fearful that a movie could ruin your SW Universe then you are already on the path to negativity or some might say the path to the dark side. Remember Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement