Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Way to upstage your new movie, Disney. Announcing all this new stuff. A day after releasing a trailer??

It’s almost like you have no faith in it.
    Or you just want to settle shareholders nerves on a rather turbulent day at the stock market.

Either way, yikes.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 hero77

can't wait for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could they not have got an actor who looked even a little bit like Harrison Ford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I still don't get how the Falcon can be so pristine. Didn't we see it in the prequels?

I still don't get how the Falcon can be so pristine. Didn't we see it in the prequels?

Best answer to that is what car looks the same ten years later? And the line of work?

My guess is han totally distresses it to make it not flashy so as to avoid imperial attention. Makes sense if you’re a smuggler. You’d get pulled all the time in a hot rod.

Some plot info under each of the pics in that article.

Looks so cool. Love the falcon in any form

9234790347-54730-57430495.jpg?w=669

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I knew there was something off in those pictures. Alden is only 5ft 8' where as Harrison is 6ft 1'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

david75 wrote: »
    Best answer to that is what car looks the same ten years later? And the line of work?

My guess is han totally distresses it to make it not flashy so as to avoid imperial attention. Makes sense if you’re a smuggler. You’d get pulled all the time in a hot rod.
    I suppose it may have been owned by a little old lady who kept it well valeted between the prequels and Solo. Then Han gets his hands on it and uses it for the equivalent of drawing turf from the bog. It's just I didn't peg Han for that kind of guy. I thought he would have been "ship proud" and kept the Falcon looking as well as he could.

I suppose it may have been owned by a little old lady who kept it well valeted between the prequels and Solo. Then Han gets his hands on it and uses it for the equivalent of drawing turf from the bog. It's just I didn't peg Han for that kind of guy. I thought he would have been "ship proud" and kept the Falcon looking as well as he could.

Lando owns it at this stage though. He looks like a player in the trailer so makes sense he’d have it all pimped out.

The toy of it is called ‘kessel run millennium falcon’ so maybe it’s just all dolled up for the race.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Could they not have got an actor who looked even a little bit like Harrison Ford?

Anthony Ingruber recently portrayed a young Harrison Ford in a film called 'The Age of Adaline'. He's relatively unknown and that may have had an impact on his chances, but when you consider the concerns over Alden's performance, I think (for looks alone) Anthony would have been the better choice so far. We will have to wait to see how Alden's performance turns out though.

440988.JPG

This is a little older, but still relevant. Ingruber doing his Solo impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Falthyron wrote: »
    I knew there was something off in those pictures. Alden is only 5ft 8' where as Harrison is 6ft 1'.

I know they are only screen shots but the guy also looks rigid as fook, doesn't have that loose relaxed look Ford was so good at. Lounging in the cantina style

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    I know they are only screen shots but the guy also looks rigid as fook, doesn't have that loose relaxed look Ford was so good at. Lounging in the cantina style

The picture of him sitting in the seat makes him look...small. Or the seat too big for him. He looks like a kid in it or something. I don't know. Maybe its the angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

The picture of him sitting in the seat makes him look...small. Or the seat too big for him. He looks like a kid in it or something. I don't know. Maybe its the angle.

Yeah, your right, I can even see it too in that one up there with Chewy and Woody sitting down and him standing! Maybe he grows a few inches with the stress of doing the Kessel run later or something!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Yeah, your right, I can even see it too in that one up there with Chewy and Woody sitting down and him standing! Maybe he grows a few inches with the stress of doing the Kessel run later or something!

Nah, the reasons for Han's sudden growth spurt will be explained in the Han Solo five volume graphic novel series that will come out after the film. Pre-order now from the Disney store for a bargain $79.99 :pac:

Anthony Ingruber recently portrayed a young Harrison Ford in a film called 'The Age of Adaline'. He's relatively unknown and that may have had an impact on his chances, but when you consider the concerns over Alden's performance, I think (for looks alone) Anthony would have been the better choice so far. We will have to wait to see how Alden's performance turns out though.

440988.JPG

Oh god :)
    Are you messing?
    Doing an impression is not the same thing as acting.
    This guy did audition for Han and was told he does a great Harrison Ford impression, that’s all.
    He doesn’t have one single piece of what’s needed of Hans character, charisma, arrogance etc.

Also has no nuance or cop on either. On YouTube campaigning to get himself hired *even after filming on Solo had begun* and doing Ford impressions.

Yeah I really want this guy playing han (no i don’t)
    You’d be screaming at the screen if this guy got hired and the world would be screaming with you.

Oh god :)
    Are you messing?
    Doing an impression is not the same thing as acting.
    This guy did audition for Han and was told he does a great Harrison Ford impression, that’s all.
    He doesn’t have one single piece of what’s needed of Hans character, charisma, arrogance etc.

Also has no nuance or cop on either. On YouTube campaigning to get himself hired *even after filming on Solo had begun* and doing Ford impressions.

Yeah I really want this guy playing han (no i don’t)
    You’d be screaming at the screen if this guy got hired and the world would be screaming with you.

*sigh*

Take a look at my post again, David. I said Anthony would have been a better choice in terms of the 'looks' department. In fact, I also said that Anthony's relative unknown status probably had an impact on his chances.

To be clear: Anthony looks more like a young Harrison Ford than Alden does, imo.

As for the acting aspect, I don't know if Anthony is a good actor. Nor do I know much about Alden. If Alden needed lessons and a teacher during production it suggests he wasn't giving the best performance or the performance Disney were hoping for. Perhaps Anthony could have done a better job? Or a worse one, I don't know. All I do know is, and as I said in my previous post, in terms of looks, Anthony is more on the money than Alden. As for your dramatic 'screaming at the screen' comment. No, I wouldn't. I could, at the very least, say: "Well, at least they picked someone who looks like Harrison Ford." That's about all I could say. As for the story and performance? We won't know until May 2018. With Alden, I can't even say he looks like Harrison because he doesn't.

P.S. That Ford impression video is from 2008... In fact, the last time he did an impression of Harrison Ford on his YouTube channel was five years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

In fairness, that is a pretty amazing impression.

First big EW article on Solo. Some cool character info

“I think the main thing that’s different is that the Han we meet in this film is more of an idealist,” Ehrenreich tells EW. “He has certain dreams that he follows, and we watch how it affects him as those dreams meet new realities — realities that are harder and more challenging than he’d expected.”

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/07/solo-a-star-wars-story-pictures-deep-dive/

• Advertisement

This ones packed with good stuff from Ford. He loves Han a lot more than he’s ever let on it seems.

“Tell them I told you everything you needed to know, and that you can’t tell anyone.”
    That was Harrison Ford’s advice to Alden Ehrenreich, the man who would be Han, when they sat down for lunch in January of last year shortly before production began on Solo: A Star Wars Story.

“Han has survived and proven that he can survive, but he’s never sure he’s as quite as smart as he needs to be,” Howard said, recalling their conversation. “Change that. He’s not really ‘smart.’ That’s not the word he used. Han’s not as on top of it as he needs to be. So he wants to give the appearance of [control], but in fact, he’s often scrambling. I think Harrison played that beautifully, and Alden and I talked about both of those ideas a lot.”
    Even though he’s not technically involved in Solo, all of this is a window into Harrison Ford, too.
    He’ll roll his eyes over Star Wars, call Han “dumb as a stump,” and tell you he hasn’t given the character or this galaxy much thought.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/07/harrison-ford-solo-star-wars-story/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The issue with the lookalike would've been a bit too much like "uncanny valley". It would've been like, "this is a young Harrison Ford" but also "... this is not a young Harrison Ford". While initially I thought that guy was a shoe-in for Solo, now I know it would've taken the audience too much out the movie. It needed a different actor.

I have no problem if Solo in this movie isn't cool as a cucumber, lounging around with his feet up. In fact, I think it'd be better if he wasn't. I see him being still optimistic about life, what lies ahead... and maybe the movie will show him how he develops his cynicism. Hopefully that means there'll be darker / tragic element to it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Mediocre impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The issue with the lookalike would've been a bit too much like "uncanny valley". It would've been like, "this is a young Harrison Ford" but also "... this is not a young Harrison Ford". While initially I thought that guy was a shoe-in for Solo, now I know it would've taken the audience too much out the movie. It needed a different actor.

I have no problem if Solo in this movie isn't cool as a cucumber, lounging around with his feet up. In fact, I think it'd be better if he wasn't. I see him being still optimistic about life, what lies ahead... and maybe the movie will show him how he develops his cynicism. Hopefully that means there'll be darker / tragic element to it too.

Agreed.

In the same way I felt it was silly to expect Luke to be the exact same like we remember from the OT. People wanted a perfect Jedi comic book like and instead we got a tired disgruntled Jedi that’s more relatable!

Life changes people. I mean look at the Jedi order getting destroyed because of its hubris and blindness. Yoda was no mug and yet even he was deceived by Palps. He also knew arrogance was crept by into the Jedi because everything changes over time.

On a personal level , just imagine what you were like 10 or 20 years ago. As you say, like will make cynics of us all. You come out of college or school, have a stary eyes view of the world and eventually it grinds you down. Life experiences mould us for the better or the worst.

Take a look at my post again, David. I said Anthony would have been a better choice in terms of the 'looks' department.

What's the point in looking like Ford if you can't act well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'd be inclined to agree. It's almost better to have young Solo as a separate entity.

In a side note, it's one of the reasons I didn't have any difficulty with Luke in TLJ; people change (sometimes drastically so) over time.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 11 fdun555

Really looking forward to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's one of my pet hates about films, the actor switcheroo. It never really sits right with me. Sometimes it's essential. In this case, it's not. Because I'm still, very firmly, in the This Shouldn't Have Been Made camp.

The timeline is just way too close and this guy will never be Han Solo. It'll end up being a cos play and the viewer has to work to make the film work and I don't like that.
    Where’s Tony?
    Curious to know what he thinks of this trailer

The trailer looks ok(ish). They seem to have the style of the Empire period down. I'm interested in knowing who the masked guys are. And there's Woody, who can do no wrong lately.

Everything else looks off though. Giant tenticles in space? Maybe it's Cthulhu. Yeh, I know about space worms...but still. That scene just looks sorta bad. I want an explanation for that thing on the front of the MF too. Ehrenreich, in RL and in the trailer, doesn't look or sound remotely like Ford. Therefore he won't look or sound remotely like Solo and there's going to be no getting around that. Glover's time in the trailer is very limited (maybe for a good reason), so it's difficult to know if he's capable of doing a riff on Billy Dee Williams, who is another charismatic actor who brought a lot of himself to the role of Lando.

But, it's just a trailer. This finished film is where it counts. The trailer for 'The Last Jedi' promised a very different film to the nonsense that we actually got. So, it's difficult to count on them being truly indicative.

But the main issues with this film aren't going to go away.

• Nobody asked for this - in fact, most greeted the news with a sigh.
    • Ehrenreich is a square peg battered into a round hole and no amount of somebody saying "see, it's grand" will alter that.
    • It'll feature too much of Han's life...joining up, meeting Chewie, meeting Lando, getting the Falcon, doing the Kessel Run. No doubt, a shit CGI Jabba will be crushed into this as well and Bobby will show up at some point as well.
    • We didn't need to know any of this stuff and knowing it may make Han Solo a poorer character. Too much info wrecked Fett. It could do the same here.

In any case, I'm meh about the trailer and still meh about the film TBH. Depending on reviews, if they're good, I might go and see it. But, at present, I'll still probably give this a miss.

Well there she is. The section filled in between the mandibles is a cargo container that is part of the story, according to Howard. It’s actually not at all as different from the falcon as we know it. Paint job and satellite and not as many greeblies.

https://twitter.com/theswu/status/961405413353754627

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's one of my pet hates about films, the actor switcheroo. It never really sits right with me. Sometimes it's essential. In this case, it's not. Because I'm still, very firmly, in the This Shouldn't Have Been Made camp.

The timeline is just way too close and this guy will never be Han Solo. It'll end up being a cos play and the viewer has to work to make the film work and I don't like that.

The trailer looks ok(ish). They seem to have the style of the Empire period down. I'm interested in knowing who the masked guys are. And there's Woody, who can do no wrong lately.

Everything else looks off though. Giant tenticles in space? Maybe it's Cthulhu. Yeh, I know about space worms...but still. That scene just looks sorta bad. I want an explanation for that thing on the front of the MF too. Ehrenreich, in RL and in the trailer, doesn't look or sound remotely like Ford. Therefore he won't look or sound remotely like Solo and there's going to be no getting around that. Glover's time in the trailer is very limited (maybe for a good reason), so it's difficult to know if he's capable of doing a riff on Billy Dee Williams, who is another charismatic actor who brought a lot of himself to the role of Lando.

But, it's just a trailer. This finished film is where it counts. The trailer for 'The Last Jedi' promised a very different film to the nonsense that we actually got. So, it's difficult to count on them being truly indicative.

But the main issues with this film aren't going to go away.

• Nobody asked for this - in fact, most greeted the news with a sigh.
    • Ehrenreich is a square peg battered into a round hole and no amount of somebody saying "see, it's grand" will alter that.
    • It'll feature too much of Han's life...joining up, meeting Chewie, meeting Lando, getting the Falcon, doing the Kessel Run. No doubt, a shit CGI Jabba will be crushed into this as well and Bobby will show up at some point as well.
    • We didn't need to know any of this stuff and knowing it may make Han Solo a poorer character. Too much info wrecked Fett. It could do the same here.

In any case, I'm meh about the trailer and still meh about the film TBH. Depending on reviews, if they're good, I might go and see it. But, at present, I'll still probably give this a miss.

In fairness It was Rogue ones trailers that showed a totally different film. Last jedi’s Trailers were pretty much exactly what we got. There was only one shot in all TLJs trailers that wasn’t in the film. (Rey running with the lightsaber). Everything else was in the film.
    Rogue one had trailers for a totally different film.
    Leads you to wonder how much of these Solo trailers will be in the film and if any of it is Lord and Millers work (doubtful)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's no fixing the issues around changing actors.

I think it's a mistake to have done this film in the first place but once you decide you're doing it you have to make concessions about continuity and recasting.

In storytelling, leaving things only partially explained is a very good way to build backstory and the depth of the world you're trying to create.

It's a tricky business going backwards and trying to explain future actions or characters in a way that will satisfy.

Even if you look at Rogue 1, there was very little in the way of character involvement between it and the OT, with familiar characters being used mostly as props. Only Vader's action sequence had any character impact but it was deftly handled and didn't deviate at all from what we expected from him - it was an underlining of his character rather than expanding it in any way.

Other than that, it was quite insulated from the films either side of it, using all new characters, locations and everything being wrapped up for a simple dropoff point to New Hope. The Tantive IV is the only thread between the two.

Solo won't have that luxury. Most of the major characters will carry forward and will impact on how those that appear later are perceived.

• Advertisement

In fairness It was Rogue ones trailers that showed a totally different film. Last jedi’s Trailers were pretty much exactly what we got. There was only one shot in all TLJs trailers that wasn’t in the film. (Rey running with the lightsaber). Everything else was in the film.
    Rogue one had trailers for a totally different film.
    Leads you to wonder how much of these Solo trailers will be in the film and if any of it is Lord and Millers work (doubtful)

The trailer for 'Rogue One' had stuff that wasn't in the final film, but the tone came across exactly. The trailer for 'The Last Jedi' gave the impression that it was going to be a very serious affair. Instead, we got goofball antics, awful characters, complete abandonment of anything in 'The Force Awakens' and a plot that made little sense.

The trailer for 'Rogue One' had stuff that wasn't in the final film, but the tone came across exactly. The trailer for 'The Last Jedi' gave the impression that it was going to be a very serious affair. Instead, we got goofball antics, awful characters, complete abandonment of anything in 'The Force Awakens' and a plot that made little sense.

You never Watched the last Jedi trailers though? ;)

No Star Wars trailer is going to tell you anything about the films narrative, but tonally I think the last Jedi’s were spot on? As to the rest, were in the wrong thread but I don’t agree with awful characters and goofball antics.

You never Watched the last Jedi trailers though? ;)

I watched the first one. That's all I needed to do. I'm not a fan of multiple trailers, TV spots, web spots and what have you. You end up seeing half the film before you get to the cinema.

Effects wrote: »
    What's the point in looking like Ford if you can't act well?

We have little evidence that Alden can act well. In fact, concerns were raised about his performance and he had to receive acting lessons during production. Alden doesn't look anything like Harrison, where as Anthony does. If both of them can't act, then I would prefer at least one of them look like Harrison at the very least.

All of this of course makes little difference when I dispute the need for a film on Han's life in the first place.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He was good in Hail Caesar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Based purely from the trailer, the screen presence and charisma of Harrison Ford is glaringly absent, I'll wait for reviews but it's hard to believe Disney have not woefully miscast such an iconic role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

No Star Wars trailer is going to tell you anything about the films narrative, but tonally I think the last Jedi’s were spot on? As to the rest, were in the wrong thread but I don’t agree with awful characters and goofball antics.

I agree with Tony 100%. Specific shots aside, Rogue One trailer was an accurate representation of the film we got.

The Last Jedi was a complete misdirection - trailer made it seem all serious like Empire Strikes Back but instead it was like Spaceballs :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Based purely from the trailer, the screen presence and charisma of Harrison Ford is glaringly absent, I'll wait for reviews but it's hard to believe Disney have woefully miscast such an iconic role

That's the problem - it's like trying to remake Indiana Jones, with Ford so recent in our minds.

The whole Concept of a Han Solo movie is flawed and is destined for failure IMO.

They should have made a Firefly version of Star Wars without the Han Solo character and introduced new ones, like the Rebels cartoon did.

Based purely from the trailer, the screen presence and charisma of Harrison Ford is glaringly absent, I'll wait for reviews but it's hard to believe Disney have woefully miscast such an iconic role

There is always more at play than the desire to fill a key role/best choice in a film when choosing an actor. For example: Shia LeBeouf was picked to play Indy's son in The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull because he was considered 'an up and coming star', popular with the kids because of Transformers, and Spielberg liked him. There is always a marketing element to the choice of an actor. I'm not saying Alden doesn't have the talent (yet), but from the scenes we have been shown so far, and his physicality (doesn't look like Harrison and he is a lot shorter), and the concerns over his performance, it doesn't bode well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

We have little evidence that Alden can act well. In fact, concerns were raised about his performance and he had to receive acting lessons during production. Alden doesn't look anything like Harrison, where as Anthony does. If both of them can't act, then I would prefer at least one of them look like Harrison at the very least.

All of this of course makes little difference when I dispute the need for a film on Han's life in the first place.

Ehrenreich has been in other films, so we know he can act. And he didn't receive acting lessons. That's not what an acting coach does.

Given that Lord & Miller were complaining about not having enough time to shoot scenes and having to deal with Kasdan etc, I'd imagine the coach was mostly there to rehearse scenes with him and provide the guidance that the director would normally provide.

Some actors need more guidance than others. See the prequels where lots of excellent actors gave terrible performances because Lucas didn't know how to talk to them.

• Advertisement

I agree with Tony 100%. Specific shots aside, Rogue One trailer was an accurate representation of the film we got.

The Last Jedi was a complete misdirection - trailer made it seem all serious like Empire Strikes Back but instead it was like Spaceballs :mad:

Indeed. I keep coming back to the trailers and how there is a glaring absence of humour in them. Yet, the film opens up with a joke.

Disney need a return on investment. What greater need is there in Hollywood?

Effects wrote: »
    Disney need a return on investment. What greater need is there in Hollywood?

To a large extent, they're guaranteed that for any single film that doesn't have appalling word of mouth.

Even TLJ did over $1.3b despite all the gnashing of teeth and frothing of mouths.

What they seem to be doing here is taking a really shortsighted decision in using the Han Solo hook, but ignoring the possibility of poisoning the well.

It's not that they can't successfully do a film like this (particularly if you ignore any artistic merit).
    The issue is that it's a lot riskier than a separate trilogy would be, a small self-contained expansion story, like Rogue 1 or Kenobi would be (because they have narrow, easily accessible endings)), or a real stand alone, like Boba Fett, set post-ROTJ or something completely new.

I'm not sure what effect if any bad press had on TLJ or will have going forward, but if they've bungled this one as much as it sounds, with directors getting sacked mid-development, that's a different scale of failure to a difference of vision and that could surely hurt the brand.

Well with at least 80% or it having been reshot by a very capable director it’s hardly going to be a shambles. Some People seem to be hoping it to fail simply cos they’re so angry about TLJ not being the film they wanted.
    The ‘we don’t need it’ camp, I’d be closer to that but this is what story tellers do in established universes as gateways into expanding The universe and the brand.

Article on collider just now saying they’re moving away from established characters and is it too soon or a good thing?
    We’re gonna be swamped by completely new characters and stories really soon.

http://collider.com/future-star-wars-movies-lucasfilm-disney/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

Gbear wrote: »
    To a large extent, they're guaranteed that for any single film that doesn't have appalling word of mouth.

Even TLJ did over $1.3b despite all the gnashing of teeth and frothing of mouths.

What they seem to be doing here is taking a really shortsighted decision in using the Han Solo hook, but ignoring the possibility of poisoning the well.

It's not that they can't successfully do a film like this (particularly if you ignore any artistic merit).
    The issue is that it's a lot riskier than a separate trilogy would be, a small self-contained expansion story, like Rogue 1 or Kenobi would be (because they have narrow, easily accessible endings)), or a real stand alone, like Boba Fett, set post-ROTJ or something completely new.

I'm not sure what effect if any bad press had on TLJ or will have going forward, but if they've bungled this one as much as it sounds, with directors getting sacked mid-development, that's a different scale of failure to a difference of vision and that could surely hurt the brand.

Star Wars is guaranteed money. There are enough fans that will make enough excuses for every aspect of a given film. So, unless they produce something so inept, it would begger belief, the mouse will get a good return. It won't always be the return of 'The Force Awakens' - which enjoyed very special circumstances, it has to be said - but it'll be good.

This will make money, I've no doubt, despite its issues being front and centre. But, I do think Disney rushed into this Solo thing way too fast, with a monster being born to parents who are trying to love it, no matter what. It was probably on the drawing board before 'Rogue One' hit the cinema and these A Star Wars Story films were an unknown quantity. The hope was being that if 'Rogue One' flopped, this was Han Solo, what's not to like? Surely, the fans will love that, no? The answer to that is glaringly obvious to teh vast majority of fans, but Disney have been missing points like that since they bought the franchise.

I also think there is a deeper play here by Disney. They want to be able to use the draw of the original characters for their ka-ching value. That means recasts and if the recast of the most beloved character in the history of Star Wars goes down relatively well, then get ready for Luke 2.0, leia 2.0 and so on and so forth. Characters will become as interchangable and as worthless as the MCU ones, where there's a different actor playing Peter Parker every couple of years. It dilutes everything to the point where there is no recognisable character at all.

Thing is, as it stands, I actually can't see Alden Ehrenreich even returning for another go at Solo. I get the impression that it's been a real trial making this film and one he'd rather not repeat.

Well with at least 80% or it having been reshot by a very capable director it’s hardly going to be a shambles. Some People seem to be hoping it to fail simply cos they’re so angry about TLJ not being the film they wanted.
    The ‘we don’t need it’ camp, I’d be closer to that but this is what story tellers do in established universes as gateways into expanding The universe and the brand.

Article on collider just now saying they’re moving away from established characters and is it too soon or a good thing?
    We’re gonna be swamped by completely new characters and stories really soon.

http://collider.com/future-star-wars-movies-lucasfilm-disney/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

Then this week Lucasfilm announced that Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have been enlisted to write and produce a new series of Star Wars films

71e8854a181750d5535b2ccd96a96ffd11bc55d5?url=http%3A%2F%2F25.media.tumblr.com%2Ftumblr_m7dmgjjw1M1qhjbxeo1_400.gif

71e8854a181750d5535b2ccd96a96ffd11bc55d5?url=http%3A%2F%2F25.media.tumblr.com%2Ftumblr_m7dmgjjw1M1qhjbxeo1_400.gif

Given what a dogs dinner they've made of GOT when left to their own devices and without GRRM to hold their hand I'd be mightily worried.

Although, maybe because it doesn't have to be a coherent and intricate political drama they'll do ok.

It's certainly nothing to do with TLJ. I thought it was great.

Well there might be an element of wanting it to be **** on my part, but that's so everyone can pretend it doesn't exist. Like, there's a Star Wars Christmas Special, but I don't let that get me down.

I'm certainly not enthused by Ron Howard getting the cleanup job, but even if it was someone who I thought would nail it, the fact that it had to be reshot makes me question it for reasons of time, budget, enthusiasm and not just how it'll be cut in with whatever was left.

Given what a dogs dinner they've made of GOT when left to their own devices and without GRRM to hold their hand I'd be mightily worried.

Although, maybe because it doesn't have to be a coherent and intricate political drama they'll do ok.

Well, I STILL haven't seen the last series of 'Game of Thrones', so Stimpy's excitement may turn to...

giphy.gif

Well, I STILL haven't seen the last series of 'Game of Thrones', so Stimpy's excitement may turn to...

giphy.gif

Some great moments and with how the story has built up (using the books) it is hard for them to mess things up. Expect a shortened timeline, truncated plot, and dialogue which doesn't match the previous seasons in terms of quality. It has become clear (to me anyway) that the show runners are in a hurry to get this finished now.

• Advertisement

It's certainly nothing to do with TLJ. I thought it was great.

Well there might be an element of wanting it to be **** on my part, but that's so everyone can pretend it doesn't exist. Like, there's a Star Wars Christmas Special, but I don't let that get me down.

I'm certainly not enthused by Ron Howard getting the cleanup job, but even if it was someone who I thought would nail it, the fact that it had to be reshot makes me question it for reasons of time, budget, enthusiasm and not just how it'll be cut in with whatever was left.

When filming L&M all but abandoned Kasdans script and were doing improvisational setups and direction to the actors. They were the problem, nothing else, Erinreich blew the whistle on them to producers. Game over. They were making a slapstick improv comedy and the script was out the window and that’s not what the cast they hired were there to do.
    ‘More ace Ventura than han solo’

You’ll see not one fan anywhere asking to see there footage. Not even the morbidly curious.

Advertisement