Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

“That’s just like, your opinion, man”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

“That’s just like, your opinion, man”

Actually laughed :) well played :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Big Lebowski' is great. But, that humour...in a Star Wars film?

:confused:

Plus if it's hinged on Han Solo, that's going to make Ehrenreich's Solo even more at odds with Ford's.

The more I hear and see about this picture, the more I think that it's going be one of the greatest looking Star Wars films ever made...

...with the worst possible Han Solo ever.

Tony EH wrote: »

Plus if it's hinged on Han Solo, that's going to make Ehrenreich's Solo even more at odds with Ford's.

The more I hear and see about this picture, the more I think that it's going be one of the greatest looking Star Wars films ever made...

The version of each of us in our teens or 20s is the worst possible version of us :)

Looks like it’s a very different Han. Eager to ingratiate himself into this gang and suffering a major loss that changes him forever by the end. (I think the GOT lady is his long time unrequited love and she gets killed).

Read the book thing I posted above. Sounds deadly! You could read that and it be ‘your’ Han. Win win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

david75 wrote: »

The version of each of us in our teens or 20s is the worst possible version of us :)

This I don't get, there's only 6 years in the difference between the actors, why have they decided this Solo should be so drasticly different in tone?

This I don't get, there's only 6 years in the difference between the actors, why have they decided this Solo should be so drasticly different in tone?

Is it only 6? That’s cool. Have seen the powers that be refuse to answer where it’s set that but 6 would be good! We don’t know it’s drasitcially different. All they have said is he’s idealistic and almost eager to please at this point, street urchin/orphan that’s found somewhere he wants to belong at last kinda trying to work his way in. Lot can happen to change you in one year though. Never mind 6. Especially in the environment he’s in?
    He’s a cocky gruff prick when we meet him in a new hope. Maybe he is the best pilot in the galaxy and this is the birth of that arrogance?

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Ron describes Solo as a film noir/western. Han is a hardscrabble kid trying to make a name for himself in the underworld, but his decency holds him back. That sound about right?
    ALDEN EHRENREICH: Something like that, yes.

Tell me your perspective on it. How would you characterize the journey this character is on?
    I think it tells the story of a young man pursuing a dream to get out of his pretty rough upbringing, and a lot of the story is him trying to make this dream come true and finding out that it’s a lot harder than he had imagined.

He seems like someone who didn’t have a lot of people who cared about him at a young age. So he goes through life with shields up.
    Yeah, that’s all basically right. One of the fun things about this movie but also one of the things that really shapes him is that it takes place in a real dark underworld of the Star Wars universe.

The rest here
    http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/07/solo-star-wars-alden-ehrenreich-interview/

I'm fucked if I know. :confused:

And I really think it's going to be so grating, it'll wreck the picture. If you can't just ignore it, it's going to set the hairs on the back of your neck straight.

Im predicting the outcry will be ‘a really fun heist Star Wars caper. Just couldn’t get past your man as Han’.

With any luck it’ll hit a balance.

It’s unfair to expect Harrison Ford as Han when it’s an actor playing him at a much earlier point in his life and story.

• Advertisement

It's stupid to make it in the first place.

Make new characters.

Even if it was 'Kyle Katarn: A Star Wars Story' or whatever, I think more people would be better disposed to this.

But Han Solo?

Fuck sake. What the hell did they think was going to happen?

We don’t know what’s happened. None of us have seen it yet.

There’s two new trilogies and at least three new tv series coming with all new characters. Your wishes are granted.

We don’t know what’s happened. None of us have seen it yet.

It's not Han Solo.

We actually DO know this.

Its not Harrison Ford. It is Han Solo. (I suggest you never watch doctor who)

‘Women always figure out the truth. Always’.

‘I’m the only one who knows what you are’.

Are we seeing a through line here under Kasdans hand? Wouldn’t that be delicious?

Just looks wrong. #notmyfalcon
    apparently they’re just plates like a second skin and it’ll lose them all by the end. But still.

FAAiYut.jpg

Its not Harrison Ford. It is Han Solo. (I suggest you never watch doctor who)

‘Women always figure out the truth. Always’.

‘I’m the only one who knows what you are’.

Are we seeing a through line here under Kasdans hand? Wouldn’t that be delicious?

Dr. Who has it written into the character that he's an immortal timelord that changes his appearance.

That's not a valid comparison in even the slightest way.

Ehrenreich looks, sounds and acts nothing like Ford, therefore he'll be nothing like Solo.

• Advertisement

Dr. Who has it written into the character that he's an immortal timelord that changes his appearance.

That's not a valid comparison in even the slightest way.

Ehrenreich looks, sounds and acts nothing like Ford, therefore he'll be nothing like Solo.

It’ll be grand. He’ll be great don’t worry. If he’s not it’s no big deal. But it is all kinda resting on his shoulders no doubts.
    Mad the way everyone’s in love with Glovers Lando. He didn’t even speak in the trailers and everyone’s mad for him. People even asking for a Lando standalone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I can't get past the Hugh Grant haircut.

It’ll be grand. He’ll be great don’t worry. If he’s not it’s no big deal. But it is all kinda resting on his shoulders no doubts.
    Mad the way everyone’s in love with Glovers Lando. He didn’t even speak in the trailers and everyone’s mad for him. People even asking for a Lando standalone.

I don't buy happy clappy. I'm able to form my own opinions based on what I observe and what I've observed so far is that he's going to stick out like a sore thumb. A VERY sore thumb.

I can only agree with ye insofar as thatsnotmyfvckinfalcon and it’s driving me mental to even look at it. That’s going to annoy me all the way through this film so we’re on the same page just about different things :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

apparently they’re just plates like a second skin and it’ll lose them all by the end. But still.

That makes more sense. I'm OK with that.

Relikk wrote: »
    That makes more sense. I'm OK with that.

I built it once. The Bandai 9”. Insane detail on it. And yes I painted the bb8 and went blind doing it. The new one just looks crap. This is my falcon :)

I have the DeAgostini Build The Millennium Falcon kit beside me waiting to be built. All 100 issues and all the parts. To be honest, it'll probably never be built as it's huge and I have no room for it. :(

I have the DeAgostini Build The Millennium Falcon kit beside me waiting to be built. All 100 issues and all the parts. To be honest, it'll probably never be built as it's huge and I have no room for it. :(

No way?? It’s really huge. I’ve seen people starting it then Stopping midway cos they realised where they’re building it isn’t where they wanted it but moving it post build would be really effing difficult.

I’d buy it off you in a heartbeat if I had the cash but if you’re selling you’d have no trouble at all. It’s well sought after.

I would definitely sell it, but only locally. There's no way I'd ship something of that value overseas, and the Adverts wasters would offer you a bag of Tayto or a swap for hubcaps.

I would definitely sell it, but only locally. There's no way I'd ship something of that value overseas, and the Adverts wasters would offer you a bag of Tayto or a swap for hubcaps.

There’s a load of SW collector and modeller groups on Facebook you could try?
    Agreed about adverts. It’s completely hit n miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Is it just me or is Chewie not as tall?

Hes shrinking with age :) Or He’s only in his teens maybe? Think he’s 200 and that’s young for a Wookiee. Don’t think he’s even beside notHan in that shot tbh

Looks like they're edited/merged photos. Or Ehrenreich is standing on a box.

Tony was saying He’s only 5’8 I think? That actually works to make chewie look taller on camera maybe?

• Advertisement

Yeah. IMDb lists him as 5' 8", but the guy that plays Chewie is listed as 6' 10". Put that into perspective with Mayhew and Ford. Mayhew was 7' 3", Ford was 6' 1".

Works to fit the story I guess :) they’re both still growing and different gravity in space would affect them or some sh!t :)

Mayhew was that tall?? Knew he was tall but that’s something else. That’s mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Does Han have
    a Correllian Blood Stripe on his trousers there?

Does Han have
    a Correllian Blood Stripe on his trousers there?

Dunno what that is but if it’s backstory I hope so!! Sounds cool!

Close your eyes and listen to him. He’s got this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Dunno what that is but if it’s backstory I hope so!! Sounds cool!

Close your eyes and listen to him. He’s got this :)

What's the story with the guy in the balaclava in the background of that interview?

What's the story with the guy in the balaclava in the background of that interview?

I was wondering the same thing haha

Nothings weird in Hollywood I guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

He's in the RA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS!

How on Earth did Disney cut the trailer so crap compared to that!

• Advertisement

That was deadly :) thanks for sharing :)

That was deadly :) thanks for sharing :)

Watched it like 6 times now.

So much more hyped for the film after this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Slydice wrote: »
    OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS!

Because 'Solo' is for the kids. Disney aren't interested in the older fans of the franchise any more. "Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to." This is Disney's mantra towards the Star Wars franchise now. Better trailer, but not edited towards their key demographic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS!

TBH, while its snappy with the cuts made to the music, the music itself is just completely wrong for Star Wars. It reminds me of that JJ Abrams trailer for Star Trek Beyond, trying to appeal to the younger audiences with a blaring rock tune screaming "I'm cool!".

EDIT: Checked the trailer. Yup, exact same tune.

Bacchus wrote: »
    TBH, while its snappy with the cuts made to the music, the music itself is just completely wrong for Star Wars. It reminds me of that JJ Abrams trailer for Star Trek Beyond, trying to appeal to the younger audiences with a blaring rock tune screaming "I'm cool!".

EDIT: Checked the trailer. Yup, exact same tune.

Just rewatched it with the sound muted. Still way better cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just rewatched it with the sound muted. Still way better cut.

The cut is better, I did say it was much snappier. The music though is just wrong for me and I'm glad Disney didn't use anything like it.

• Advertisement

it’s all footage from the film (well, hopefully ;) )

But yeah way more exciting edit.

This will be a great Star Wars film if we’re lucky.

Bacchus wrote: »
    The cut is better, I did say it was much snappier. The music though is just wrong for me and I'm glad Disney didn't use anything like it.

Muted and with this in the background also seems to work:

Disney let themselves down. They could've star wars'd something like this up.

Brings up an interesting question. With the two new trilogies will they step away from using orchestras for the scores and do something modern?

Risky. Music dates quite quickly.

Star Wars could have easily had a 70s version of futuristic music. How awful would that have sounded now? Williams score is literally the magic ingredient in all the films for me.

In fairness, you could probably put anything to Sabotage and it would look good. :D

Star Wars could have easily had a 70s version of futuristic music. How awful would that have sounded now?

This awful...

Or great, depending on your POV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement