Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Tony EH wrote: »
    In fairness, you could probably put anything to Sabotage and it would look good. :D

Tony if this totally blindsides you and you really enjoy it, as with rogue one. Will you be honest about it?

I have no feelings or expectations at all. I just hope it’s good. You seem more devoted to it being wrong to begin with. But if it’s deadly will you say so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm always honest, sometimes not to my benefit.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm always honest, sometimes not to my benefit.

I know :)

So you’re open to the fact that this film might just be great fun and a great Star Wars film. (I’ve heard the rant so spare your fingertips).

Yes or no will suffice haha!

I realised recently I don’t care about it at all. I hope it’s great fun. Skywalker saga is all I really care about. Star Wars will have to do something serious to keep me interested after 9

K E N O B I

You'll get an honest appraisal of the film.

If I get around to watching it that is. So far, I'm not that pushed.

But, my review notwithstanding, it's still always going to be a #notmysolo job, where Ehrenreich is concerned.

If it's a good film, it's a good film. But, I'll probably always feel that it should have been a good film...

...about somebody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

david75 wrote: »
    I hope it’s great fun.

Same here. I'm optimistic, anyway. And more Chewie is always welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Rogue One really enhanced ANH for me. There's a chance this could do something similar and add to the original trilogy.

I laughed out loud.

Then I remembered.

Then I ugly cried.

Now I need ice cream and someone to hold me

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/7zwtue/instead_of_an_opening_crawl/?utm_source=reddit-android

Deadly. Also the synopsis for the book is in here. Sounds great

https://twitter.com/collider/status/968516392050929664

Solo international trailer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Solo international trailer!!

Fixed link! Trailer feels better than the first. Not sure if it's the sabotage effect

Looks the same? Which is weird. But international trailer dropped by means the marketing campaign is about to hit. Endless blizzard of tv spots incoming :)

They cut the lines about running scams as a kid and being kicked outta the flight academy.

Maybe there was too much running down of his character or establishing him as a down-and-out in the first trailer.

Just remembering the rogue one fiasco. It’s the same trailer cos they are probably still editing and don’t want to misrepresent the film so the ones involved are all locked shots whereas any new ones might potentially be cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have no idea who Donald Glover is... but from this interview he is a very likable chap....
    cool as hell, too...

Very very talented chap both as an actor on series like Atlanta and an established music career in hip hop as childish gambino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I have no idea who Donald Glover is... but from this interview he is a very likable chap....
    cool as hell, too...

I liked him in Community but so far he makes it feel like Han Solo is going to be a secondary character in a film named after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

psinno wrote: »
    I liked him in Community but so far he makes it feel like Han Solo is going to be a secondary character in a film named after him.
    tumblr_mzx5ulIs6Y1s5e5bko1_500.gif

• Advertisement

THey just changed the release date of avengers infinity war to get out of the way of Solo.

Joke.

More like to give Solo a chance. But AIF has been bumped up a week.

Seems someone in disney is plagiarising an artists work and he’s dead right to take them up on it. They’d sue you into oblivion if you did it on them. See attached pic

Left the official posters of the next Star Wars (Disney), right the compiles for which I made the creation in 2015 for Sony Music France / Legacy Recordings France following the brief of the project leader Romain 'Rpiz' Pizon.
    I am flattered that the quality of my work is recognized, but it is still pure and simple forgery, I have not been asked for my permission, I wish to be credited and paid for this work I have done for Sony!
    A thought for everyone who worked hard on this very beautiful project: Dj Reverend P (Patrice Larrar), Richard Lecocq, Aurélien Orel, David Hachour, Yazid Manou and Yazid Manou So Romain 'Rpiz' Pizon.
    #LegacyOfStarWars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Is the artist suing, or is Sony? I'd say Sony would have some legal clout.

Is the artist suing, or is Sony? I'd say Sony would have some legal clout.

Not sure tbh? That kind of work Is usually contracted out so they’d commission him effectively. Who owns the copyright either himself or Sony, both probably have grounds to sue. It’s a blatant rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Not sure tbh? That kind of work Is usually contracted out so they’d commission him effectively. Who owns the copyright either himself or Sony, both probably have grounds to sue. It’s a blatant rip off.

Agreed. They even used the same colours.

Now you’re talking. That’s a great poster

https://twitter.com/david75donovan/status/970767134015049730?s=21

• Advertisement

So they made new posters to cover up the plagiarism of the last ones

https://twitter.com/sw_holocron/status/974016383225917441?s=21

Don't really see how Disney are to blame for the poster thing. They farmed out the work to a design firm who f*cket it up.

Posters looked amazing all the same.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Don't really see how Disney are to blame for the poster thing. They farmed out the work to a design firm who f*cket it up.

Posters looked amazing all the same.

Ah yeah. We know that but joe public wouldn’t probably.
    Easy work around anyway. Pay the guy off and make new posters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I'm a little surprised by this photo:

https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/980219440267608064

I thought the whole 'A long time ago...' and the Star Wars intro sequence was removed from the anthology films, as was shown in Rogue One? Have Disney gone back on that? A little consistency would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Falthyron wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised by this photo:

https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/980219440267608064

I thought the whole 'A long time ago...' and the Star Wars intro sequence was removed from the anthology films, as was shown in Rogue One? Have Disney gone back on that? A little consistency would be nice.

Maybe removing the long time ago is the last thing they are doing in post production.

• Advertisement

psinno wrote: »
    Maybe removing the long time ago is the last thing they are doing in post production.

It could be left in until the very last minute as a means of reminding people of the gravity of what they're working on.

I doubt it'll be in the final cut, especially if it's not in Rogue One (?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"A long time ago..." is in Rogue One. They only ditched the opening crawl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,692 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seems to ave been a bit of a problem child

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I saw the trailer for the first time yesterday. It looks awful, although trailers can be misleading in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Another new character, Therm Scissorpunch...

therm-scissorpunch-topps-trading-card-dennys-solo-a-star-wars-story.jpg?w=474&h=665"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Another new character, Therm Scissorpunch...

therm-scissorpunch-topps-trading-card-dennys-solo-a-star-wars-story.jpg?w=474&h=665"

Ah thats "Pizza the hut" before Han and Chewie fight him above the oven in the dough factory, must happen in this movie :pac:

(Really though, he looks teeeeeeerible :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

A lobster-like creature called Therm? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

• Advertisement

Youtube link:

Now that is a decent trailer!

Hrrrmmmm

After a few watches.. there might be a spoiler in it.
    It looks like Chewie has a love interest. It looks like it'll be all the feels. Then there's a potential death scene... and earlier on Chewie grabs a someone and smashed them head first into the ground. So that could be one of the plots.. with the post love-interest death rampage of Chewie shown out of order

It's probably his missus.

Dunno, Ehrenreich just is not doing it for me. I see a Star Wars film in there. But no Solo.

Nice to see some proper aliens though.
    And now we know what those crazy ass boots are for on those new Stormtroopers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I didn’t realize Queen of Dragons was in this.

Pity she can’t act for sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,692 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

#notmyhan :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Digging that trailer! Can't wait to see it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Starting to like the look of this.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

That trailer is an improvement alright... not sure it's going to draw me to the cinema though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun, looking forward to it a lot more now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, it looks fine. Given all that's happened behind the scenes it'll be a minor triumph if the final product is competent, structured and enjoyable - so that's the metric I'm going by at this stage. I'm not expecting miracles here, and no better man to get a job professionally done than Ron Howard.

Definitely don't feel any more enthused about Ehrenreich's performance - based on those small snippets it feels terribly flat, and it's arguably worrying that the bulk of the trailers have featured everyone else EXCEPT the titular character. Donald Glover looks & sounds the business though; his casting always felt like a stroke of genius.

Advertisement