Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

That was a very bland trailer. The teaser was better.

Granted we definitely can’t judge films by the trailers anymore but I’d expect more from Lucasfilm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I didn’t realize Queen of Dragons was in this.

Pity she can’t act for sh1t.

Speaking of G O T links, the voice of the droid sounds a lot like Captain Phasma.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speaking of G O T links, the voice of the droid sounds a lot like Captain Phasma.

It's not: it's Phoebe Waller-Bridge, whose probably most known as writer / star of BBC sitcom 'Fleabag'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not nearly as good as first trailer which had a real swagger about it. hopefully the finished film is more reflective of the teaser's tone and atmosphere, but I'm still feeling good about this.

I was sceptical about Ehrenreich, mainly because he doesn't look or act like Ford, but based on the last two trailers I think he's captured the essence of the character, at least at this point in his life. Kasdan always said his favourite Han scene was the "everything is fine here now" moment in the first SW. if that's the basis for this film's take on young Han, then I think Ehrenreich will nail it. Ditto Glover who is bringing his own thing to Lando, still charming but in a different way than Williams.

From the trailers alone, Bradford Young's cinematography is already up there with TESB and RO, though I'm guessing far behind TLJ in terms of style and composition. Hopefully the non-Howard stuff doesn't jar too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Donald Glover looks & sounds the business though; his casting always felt like a stroke of genius.

+1 to that. He looks/sounds perfect in the role and it really emphasizes how weak Ehrenreich looks/sounds in HIS role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

He's too damn short!

447727.jpg

447728.JPG

Keep in mind that Emilia Clarke is 5'2"!

This looks pretty generic. Probably a decent action/heist film set in space, but they shouldn't have called it 'Solo' or cast someone to play Han Solo. Donald Glover looks great, the personification of cool and some of the flying shots looks excellent, edge of your seat kind of stuff, but its marred from the outset by a man masquerading as Han Solo.

Also, I am really not liking the iteration of the Star Wars fanfare at the end of the trailer. Really hurts the ears to hear the theme played like that and I hope it won't feature in the final cut of the film.

This is going to do a lot of damage to Alden's career, imo. His emulation of Ford is visible, but its also visibly poor, especially when you compare it to how relaxed Glover appears as Lando. Alden's playing someone he shouldn't be playing and he is going to do it poorly. Internet trolls are going to tear this film apart and I expect an online campaign to get Chewie an Oscar nod will be a small part of that campaign :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Trailer is ok but I'm not putting much thought into as well from experience trailers nowadays tend to have quite a bit that doesn't actually make it into the main film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Looks like The Train Job episode from Firefly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

It's not: it's Phoebe Waller-Bridge, whose probably most known as writer / star of BBC sitcom 'Fleabag'.

Fleabag was an incredible show, a very interesting choice for the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Absolutely nothing in that trailer would put me off seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I dunno, it looks fine. Given all that's happened behind the scenes it'll be a minor triumph if the final product is competent, structured and enjoyable - so that's the metric I'm going by at this stage. I'm not expecting miracles here, and no better man to get a job professionally done than Ron Howard.

Definitely don't feel any more enthused about Ehrenreich's performance - based on those small snippets it feels terribly flat, and it's arguably worrying that the bulk of the trailers have featured everyone else EXCEPT the titular character. Donald Glover looks & sounds the business though; his casting always felt like a stroke of genius.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about this too.

Hiring Emergency Director Ron seems to have been one of Kennedy's better decisions so far at LFL.

As for Glover, he has a freer time as Lando. That character was really just a bit part in the original films. He probably only has 15 minutes of dialogue across two films. So Glover doesn't really have to be Billy Dee Williams. He can essentially be himself.

Ehrenreich, on the other hand, not only has to be Han Solo...he has to be Harrison Ford too, because Solo was such a major part of Star Wars and Ford put an indelible stamp on him. I think he's really going to be the achilles heel fo this film, which is a shame, because they seem to have put effort into getting a lot of other things right.

Falthyron wrote: »
    He's too damn short!

And that's just an inch taller than Fisher, who Ford towered over.
    This looks pretty generic. Probably a decent action/heist film set in space, but they shouldn't have called it 'Solo' or cast someone to play Han Solo. Donald Glover looks great, the personification of cool and some of the flying shots looks excellent, edge of your seat kind of stuff, but its marred from the outset by a man masquerading as Han Solo.

This is going to do a lot of damage to Alden's career, imo. His emulation of Ford is visible, but its also visibly poor, especially when you compare it to how relaxed Glover appears as Lando. Alden's playing someone he shouldn't be playing and he is going to do it poorly. Internet trolls are going to tear this film apart and I expect an online campaign to get Chewie an Oscar nod will be a small part of that campaign :pac:

Chewbacca looks pretty good in the trailers #chewiefilmnow! :D

Not sure how damaging to Ehrenreich's career this will be, but it certainly has potential to be damaging to Star Wars as a whole, that's for sure. And agreed, it looks like a pretty generic heist movie.

"I'm putting a team together..."

As I said before, it should have been a story about somebody else. Even someone from the comics. Maybe Dr. Aphra or whatever she's called. She's really just a female Han Solo anyway. A lot of the ingredients seem to be there from what we can gather from the trailer. But, with Ehrenreich in the lead role, it feels like a chicken madras that someone forgot to add the spices to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

The music in that trailer is soooooooo bad.

The acting from yer man playing Solo looks very dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm cautiously optimistic about this film. Surely it can only be better than The Last Jedi, or at least my reaction to it. I want to give Ehrenreich the benefit of the doubt for having the pressure of playing this iconic character so I won't judge until I see the full performance. The performance that worries me the most if that Nordic guy playing Chewie, he may be tall but, funny as this sounds given he's playing the walking carpet, he just doesn't fit right with chewie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

He's too damn short!

447727.jpg

447728.JPG

Also, I am really not liking the iteration of the Star Wars fanfare at the end of the trailer. Really hurts the ears to hear the theme played like that and I hope it won't feature in the final cut of the film.

They've already started judging by some of your comments...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm a bit surprised by the negative reaction, I thought it was leaps and bounds better then the teaser, though like most folks, I'm still not sold on Ehrenreich.
    Here's hoping this will be the entertaining heist movie set in the Starwars universe that Rogue One should have been.
    After The Last Jedi, something fun and, well, watchable is much needed to salvage the franchise.
    One thing that didn't work for me, and perhaps I'm alone in this reaction, is the fact that Lando's droid co-pilot has the potential to be all kinds of Jar-Jar levels of irritating. Is she programmed to be an annoying, catch phrase bleating, quirky-hilarious (without actually being funny) droid?
    Also, the electric guitar in the trailer sucks and is very discordant with the starwars universe with it's attempt to inject some faux edginess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Can't wait for this, looks really good and should be a lot of fun, also looking forward to seeing more of Emilia Clarke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

OSI wrote: »
    **** sake. Emilia Clarke would bore the hole off a dead camel, just listening to her in the intro was painful.

Can't say I did much listening during that part to be honest......... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

It's virtually/totally impossible to go on any of these Star Wars threads without being hit by a constant barrage of negativity on almost every aspect of the movies.

Remember that character from Little Britain in the wheelchair played by Matt Lucas, who's response to every offering from David Williams was always 'I don't like that'. Well that's the Internet today.

I'm not expecting high art from these new Star Wars movies, I just want two hours of decent popcorn movie I can bring the family to. If Solo delivers that then its job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Definitely don't feel any more enthused about Ehrenreich's performance - based on those small snippets it feels terribly flat....

I haven't watched the new trailer but I thought the same for the first trailer, there were no recognisable Han characteristics that I could see at all. Having said that, I won't watch the new trailer but I will be heading over to the BFI IMAX with the lads as we had a great time for TLJ in December. Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea of when the tickets will be goung on sale, it must be soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Emilia Clarke is such a poor actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Still looks utterly pointless. This is detracting from Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

These things have gone full Marvel mode now. That trailer gave me a headache. Whats with all the pathetic smarminess and the wise cracks? Uggh. The dialouge isn't even like fantasy movie dialouge anymore, more like loud 90's smarmy teenager party movie dialogue.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Han Solo? Wise cracks and smarminess? Never!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wedwood wrote: »
    It's virtually/totally impossible to go on any of these Star Wars threads without being hit by a constant barrage of negativity on almost every aspect of the movies.

Remember that character from Little Britain in the wheelchair played by Matt Lucas, who's response to every offering from David Williams was always 'I don't like that'. Well that's the Internet today.

I'm not expecting high art from these new Star Wars movies, I just want two hours of decent popcorn movie I can bring the family to. If Solo delivers that then its job done.

Cue standard response : "I am allowed to give my opinion if I want, this is after all a forum for movie discussions" . .

Roughly translated as "I am allowed to whinge and moan about a movie, before, after and in between it being released. Most people agree with me cause anybody I tell my opinion to agrees with me. And they don't just agree with me to shut me up or avoid having to argue with me, its totally because they agree with my opinion and that my opinion is fact". .

Continual negative responses or replies in case anybody has either forgotten what they think or has the audacity to want to chat positively about it. .

Copy and paste as required .

Drumpot wrote: »
    Cue standard response : "I am allowed to give my opinion if I want, this is after all a forum for movie discussions" . .

Roughly translated as "I am allowed to whinge and moan about a movie, before, after and in between it being released. Most people agree with me cause anybody I tell my opinion to agrees with me. And they don't just agree with me to shut me up or avoid having to argue with me, its totally because they agree with my opinion and that my opinion is fact". .

Continual negative responses or replies in case anybody has either forgotten what they think or has the audacity to want to chat positively about it. .

Ah, here. Nobody in this thread has been berating other posters into adopting their opinion or challenging those who like the look of the film. Opinions are opinions, take some, leave others, or don't. The naysayers, including myself, have given their reasons as to why they think the film looks bad, and in many cases, they have also praised the film's other aspects, such as: the aliens look great and it could be a very good heist film.

There is no need to exaggerate. The purpose of a trailer is to show you reasons as to why you should be interested in this film, it almost implies engagement and by that extension, it invites praise and criticism. If the predominant sentiment among posters is positive then so be it, likewise if the prevailing feeling is negative. If you like something, you will like it, irrespective of what others say or do.

And the above can be translated as "stop having opinions I don't like, cos I can't deal with it..."

God help you if it was something serious under discussion.

Ah, here. Nobody in this thread has been berating other posters into adopting their opinion or challenging those who like the look of the film. Opinions are opinions, take some, leave others, or don't. The naysayers, including myself, have given their reasons as to why they think the film looks bad, and in many cases, they have also praised the film's other aspects, such as: the aliens look great and it could be a very good heist film.

There is no need to exaggerate. The purpose of a trailer is to show you reasons as to why you should be interested in this film, it almost implies engagement and by that extension, it invites praise and criticism. If the predominant sentiment among posters is positive then so be it, likewise if the prevailing feeling is negative. If you like something, you will like it, irrespective of what others say or do.

That’s a little disingenuous there buddy. Star Wars threads are riddled with repetitively negative posters spouting the same repetitive complaints who anticipate a bad upcoming Star Wars movie and revel in gloating about how right they were about the movie we eventually get.

This thread is as predictable as a bull in a china shop.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    And the above can be translated as "stop having opinions I don't like, cos I can't deal with it..."

God help you if it was something serious under discussion.

Serious ? Don’t make me laugh Tony, if I took you serious I would never even allow myself to think of watching a Star Wars movie ever again while Disney own the rights!

I think we can already summarize what some posters won’t like about Solo:

F**k Disney, they are ruining the franchise and future movies will be as bad . This movie didn’t need to be made. The humour was bad or silly or didn’t fit. This Was not the Han Solo character or movie expected therefore was not respectful of the source material. The originals didn’t have any (insert other negative points) that the new ones suffer from.

Why do you even bother going to the movies? We both know you will prob hate The solo movie!!!

Serious ? Don’t make me laugh Tony, if I took you serious I would never even allow myself to think of watching a Star Wars movie ever again while Disney own the rights!

F**k Disney, they are ruining the franchise and future movies will be as bad . This movie didn’t need to be made. The humour was bad or silly or didn’t fit. This Was not the Han Solo character or movie expected therefore was not respectful of the source material. The originals didn’t have any (insert other negative points) that the new ones suffer from.

Why do you even bother going to the movies? We both know you will prob hate The solo movie!!!

Everything you say can easily be countered with (what you appear to prefer) a positive spin about the film.

Allow me to summarise what some posters will say about Solo:

Disney have done a great job. The anthology films are better than the main trilogy they are currently making. Alden was surprisingly good and a solid interpretation of the character. It was a great heist film. The aliens, planets, and ships really expanded the Star Wars universe. I was surprised by how funny the film was, funnier than TLJ. I'm glad they were respectful to the source material and didn't deal with the 'Who shot first' issue. Hopefully, this will encourage Disney to explore other characters and timelines.

See? Its really easy.

Some people will like Solo, others won't. What exactly is the problem? Should we not be allowed to critique a trailer or should we only say positive things about Solo based on the footage we have seen so far? Should we take the Irish mammy approach to criticism: 'If you have nothing nice to say, then its best you say nothing at all'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I think it's far to say that reaction to TLJ in that thread has been quite negative, and the same applies for the TFA thread, but to a lesser extent.

This thread seems to be very much leaning in the same direction, and the film hasn't been released or seen yet. Which is strange; you'd think people that are fans of the franchise would wait to see it first instead of criticising a film they've yet to see.

Think that's the poster was driving at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I'm cautiously optimistic about this film. Surely it can only be better than The Last Jedi, or at least my reaction to it. I want to give Ehrenreich the benefit of the doubt for having the pressure of playing this iconic character so I won't judge until I see the full performance. The performance that worries me the most if that Nordic guy playing Chewie, he may be tall but, funny as this sounds given he's playing the walking carpet, he just doesn't fit right with chewie.

You're taking the mickey here, right?

Everything you say can easily be countered with (what you appear to prefer) a positive spin about the film.

Disney have done a great job. The anthology films are better than the main trilogy they are currently making. Alden was surprisingly good and a solid interpretation of the character. It was a great heist film. The aliens, planets, and ships really expanded the Star Wars universe. I was surprised by how funny the film was, funnier than TLJ. I'm glad they were respectful to the source material and didn't deal with the 'Who shot first' issue. Hopefully, this will encourage Disney to explore other characters and timelines.

See? Its really easy.

Some people will like Solo, others won't. What exactly is the problem? Should we not be allowed to critique a trailer or should we only say positive things about Solo based on the footage we have seen so far? Should we take the Irish mammy approach to criticism: 'If you have nothing nice to say, then its best you say nothing at all'?

Up in here? Yes. That goes for a lot of the trash made nowadays, not just Stmarvel Wars

Han Solo? Wise cracks and smarminess? Never!

What about every single character, even the cartoon robot, taking part in that pathetic smarm noise? Because that's what that trailer is, johnny

• Advertisement

See? Its really easy.

It’s not about liking the movies, it’s about repetitively spending your time putting something down over and over again. And as for judging a movie by its trailer? WTF?! It’s a decent bet the people who complained about TFA, Rogue one and TLJ will have the same complaints or worse about solo. Why bother wasting time watching and complaining about something you know, no longer meets your expectations?

I stopped watching the walking dead (as did my wife) a few years ago when it stopped being fun or enjoyable. I didn’t bother going into a forum to complain constantly while continuing to watch it. I don’t understand what people get out of continuing to negatively support something that they obviously don’t or won’t like.

A lot of the criticisms of Star Wars are more about choices people made then actual constructive criticism. I don’t mind people choosing to disagree with The way Johnson took the movie and characters but it’s a simple choice of either going with it or fighting against it.

I think a significant part of the problem is That people are applying rigid expectations and parameters that they didn’t apply to the originals. They wrap these disappointments around what could be reasonably accepted as fair criticisms in a non fantasy universe but they don’t stand up to scrutiny when you apply the same criticisms to the originals.

I don’t think the newer Star Wars movies are perfect but they are enjoyable. I don’t understand why some people spend so much timing putting the franchise down so much and yet they will continue to watch the movies.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I think it's far to say that reaction to TLJ in that thread has been quite negative, and the same applies for the TFA thread, but to a lesser extent.

This thread seems to be very much leaning in the same direction, and the film hasn't been released or seen yet. Which is strange; you'd think people that are fans of the franchise would wait to see it first instead of criticising a film they've yet to see.

Think that's the poster was driving at.

Perhaps the negativity is indicative of the predominant feeling about the film. Somebody suggested putting up a poll on TLJ to gauge people's overall thoughts on the film. If the poll showed 65% negative and 35% positive, it should come as no surprise then that the comments within the debate reflect that polling result.

As for commenting on the trailer, that's perfectly normal. There are dozens of trailers posted weekly across a myriad films and people give their thoughts on them. One such example: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. The trailers made the film look awful, cheap, a poor knock-off, and yet the final film turned out to be quite decent. Was it wrong for people to suggest the film was awful based on the trailer? No, because they thought it looked awful.

If the Solo trailer comes across as poor then surely people can say that, followed up with their reasons as to why. There is no reason whatsoever that people can't say a film looks poorly based on a trailer. Trailers are designed to entice your interest. If it failed in doing so, why can't we talk about it? :confused:

But, so what if some people do though? Be an adult and get over it. What's the use in coming on and whinning about other people, who are posting their opinions about a Star Wars film?

Other people's opinions are going to be different than yours. You're going to have to learn to deal with that.

It’s not about liking the movies, it’s about repetitively spending your time putting something down over and over again. And as for judging a movie by its trailer? WTF?! It’s a decent bet the people who complained about TFA, Rogue one and TLJ will have the same complaints or worse about solo. Why bother wasting time watching and complaining about something you know, no longer meets your expectations?

I stopped watching the walking dead (as did my wife) a few years ago when it stopped being fun or enjoyable. I didn’t bother going into a forum to complain constantly while continuing to watch it. I don’t understand what people get out of continuing to negatively support something that they obviously don’t or won’t like.

A lot of the criticisms of Star Wars are more about choices people made then actual constructive criticism. I don’t mind people choosing to disagree with The way Johnson took the movie and characters but it’s a simple choice of either going with it or fighting against it.

I think a significant part of the problem is That people are applying rigid expectations and parameters that they didn’t apply to the originals. They wrap these disappointments around what could be reasonably accepted as fair criticisms in a non fantasy universe but they don’t stand up to scrutiny when you apply the same criticisms to the originals.

I don’t think the newer Star Wars movies are perfect but they are enjoyable. I don’t understand why some people spend so much timing putting the franchise down so much and yet they will continue to watch the movies.

I don't consider the recent films to be abominations. I am pretty sure I have said on quite a few occasions that I consider them to be competently made films. They aren't what I expected or what I would have preferred, but that's me.

As for expectations, I think people are perfectly entitled to adjust their expectations accordingly. Much like values, expectations can change over time. What was once considered not that important could become significantly important a generation later. There is a lot more choice today, more options, greater variety when it comes to the consumption of media and if a particular pillar in that media (i.e. the Star Wars franchise) doesn't meet their high expectations then they can criticise it, as far as I am concerned. 'Solo' doesn't meet my expectations from what I have seen in the trailers and I have given my reasons as to why that is. Now, if that happens to align with others to form, what you believe to be, a chorus, then that's hardly the fault of those who have issues with the film. Perhaps it reflects the opinion of the majority of those discussing the film? There is a sizeable portion of the British people (48%) who didn't vote for Brexit, but the majority have gone with it. Sensible people aren't berating the 'remainers' for their voting preference or opinion, they recognise that was their feelings on the matter. Much like the thoughts of those in this thread. I will admit that there does appear to be a small majority criticising 'Solo' based on the trailers, but nobody here is trying to convince those looking forward to it to change their minds and 'join the lightside' against the dark and evil Disney.

There is nothing wrong with arguing that a film looks bad from its trailer. It has been done innumerable times in hundreds of different threads for years. It is possible that these Star Wars are bad films in the eyes of a small majority. It would be unfortunate given the love so many have for the franchise, but that love doesn't necessary translate into obedience or ignoring problems.

A lot of the commentary on the recent Star Wars films has been less about the quality of said films and more about each side trying to disprove the other through insults and attacks. I actually stopped posting in the Last Jedi thread when I was accused of hating women simply because I didn't recognise the brilliance of Rey or understand why they never told Poe about the evacuation plan. Pop culture has moved into a strange place where any negative voice is seen as a personal attack rather than criticism of a piece of art.

I think that Star Wars are competently made kids films, they are made for 12 year old boys so when you see men in their 40s attacking someone because they don't love the films it's a little sad. I actually think that Solo looks like good fun, I have no problem with prequels or getting a different actor in and while the trailers won't have me running out to see the film I won't write it off just yet. But the best thing about it is that my 10 year old brother could not be more excited to see it. He thinks it looks cool and I have no doubt that to him it, alongside Guardians of the Galaxy will be one of the best things ever. Even if I hate it and think that Han Solo is the worst thing ever, all that matters is that kids enjoy it.

• Advertisement

I don't consider the recent films to be abominations. I am pretty sure I have said on quite a few occasions that I consider them to be competently made films. They aren't what I expected or what I would have preferred, but that's me.

As for expectations, I think people are perfectly entitled to adjust their expectations accordingly. Much like values, expectations can change over time. What was once considered not that important could become significantly important a generation later. There is a lot more choice today, more options, greater variety when it comes to the consumption of media and if a particular pillar in that media (i.e. the Star Wars franchise) doesn't meet their high expectations then they can criticise it, as far as I am concerned. 'Solo' doesn't meet my expectations from what I have seen in the trailers and I have given my reasons as to why that is. Now, if that happens to align with others to form, what you believe to be, a chorus, then that's hardly the fault of those who have issues with the film. Perhaps it reflects the opinion of the majority of those discussing the film? There is a sizeable portion of the British people (48%) who didn't vote for Brexit, but the majority have gone with it. Sensible people aren't berating the 'remainers' for their voting preference or opinion, they recognise that was their feelings on the matter. Much like the thoughts of those in this thread. I will admit that there does appear to be a small majority criticising 'Solo' based on the trailers, but nobody here is trying to convince those looking forward to it to change their minds and 'join the lightside' against the dark and evil Disney.

There is nothing wrong with arguing that a film looks bad from its trailer. It has been done innumerable times in hundreds of different threads for years. It is possible that these Star Wars are bad films in the eyes of a small majority. It would be unfortunate given the love so many have for the franchise, but that love doesn't necessary translate into obedience or ignoring problems.

It’s actually a common trait you can spot in posters in different forums. Go to the football forums and you see similar negative sentiments being constantly thrown out by the same posters. It’s not constructive it’s basically people looking for anything that they feel proves their opinions “more right” and then moving goal posts of the discussion and falling back on the “well I’m entitled to an opinion” if people are progressively challanging their stance.

It admittedly happens on both sides but I find it less annoying when people want to enjoy something they love. Prob cause I generally frequent movie threads of things I like, not things I want to shred to sh*t. And you frequently read people give their negative opinions as fact when in all cases a movie review or opinion is subjective. So when I come to Solo and see the same stuff we have heard before other recent SW movies it just puts me off coming back.

A lot of the commentary on the recent Star Wars films has been less about the quality of said films and more about each side trying to disprove the other through insults and attacks. I actually stopped posting in the Last Jedi thread when I was accused of hating women simply because I didn't recognise the brilliance of Rey or understand why they never told Poe about the evacuation plan. Pop culture has moved into a strange place where any negative voice is seen as a personal attack rather than criticism of a piece of art.

I think that Star Wars are competently made kids films, they are made for 12 year old boys so when you see men in their 40s attacking someone because they don't love the films it's a little sad. I actually think that Solo looks like good fun, I have no problem with prequels or getting a different actor in and while the trailers won't have me running out to see the film I won't write it off just yet. But the best thing about it is that my 10 year old brother could not be more excited to see it. He thinks it looks cool and I have no doubt that to him it, alongside Guardians of the Galaxy will be one of the best things ever. Even if I hate it and think that Han Solo is the worst thing ever, all that matters is that kids enjoy it.

Indeed. This is a video that I feel makes a solid effort at explaining this. You can ignore the first few minutes, the real stuff begins around the 1min 50s mark and the argument is quite convincing and applicable to all sorts of brands, including Star Wars.

I agree with a lot of this... My kids enhance my enjoyment of the movies, they aren’t made for me and I can readjust my expectations appropriately.

But there is a difference between been attacked for Not liking a movie versus being attacked for complaining about a movie before it’s released , making the same complaints when the movie is released and then not shutting up about it it.

Because we now have 4 SW movies to see the trend of certain posters who generally have the same things to say. People are entitled to be this way and people are entitled to call it out....

It’s actually a common trait you can spot in posters in different forums. Go to the football forums and you see similar negative sentiments being constantly thrown out by the same posters. It’s not constructive it’s basically people looking for anything that they feel proves their opinions “more right” and then moving goal posts of the discussion and falling back on the “well I’m entitled to an opinion” if people are progressively challanging their stance.

But that's football man. I mean, are you actually trying to equate football team support to sequential works of art such as film? Those two things are no way comparable Drumpot. I think you may be dragging your tribal football support logic into what is supposed to be a artform forum/discussion. That's fair enough for sports teams, you want to 'support' a team, no matter what, great, that's what sport fans are supposed to do. You simply cannot do that for a artform such as film. "Support all films no matter what" That's just plain ridiculousness man

buried wrote: »
    But that's football man. I mean, are you actually trying to equate football team support to sequential works of art such as film? Those two things are no way comparable Drumpot. I think you may be dragging your tribal football support logic into what is supposed to be a artform forum/discussion. That's fair enough for sports teams, you want to 'support' a team, no matter what, great, that's what sport fans are supposed to do. You simply cannot do that for a artform such as film. "Support all films no matter what" That's just plain ridiculousness man

You can actually. Particularly in the case of SW there are some who will defend it to the hilt and others who want to hate anything Disney are going to do and both will
    Look for any “evidence” to validate their opinions.

Then you have people in between who just go along with what they get and don’t get too upset with specific things that get others animated.

And you have some who judge movies on a more technical level, like an art as you say. I’m not sure what The value is on judging Star Wars movies as an art is but I suppose some people feel it’s important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Stop whinging Drumpot, like another poster said get over the fact people express different opinions.

You can actually. Particularly in the case of SW there are some who will defend it to the hilt and others who want to hate anything Disney are going to do.

I honestly don't see where you are getting this from D. Everyone I know, my small close circle of mates, my relations, are all dissapointed with these new works. We don't "hate anything Disney" at all. Every Christmas Eve me and my sister and her lot always make the evening more majick by sticking on a classic Disney animation. We have to do it, and we all genuinely love doing it, those films are brilliant. It's just we find these things very poor, thats how we simply find them, there is no agenda

buried wrote: »

It's not even a valid comparison. There's plenty of team criticism carried out by fans and supporters of a given team across every football forum. Sometimes the fans of a particular team can be the most critical of all voices.

There's shitposting about other people's opinions on football forums too, when some people can't have the view challenged, usually to the tune of "go support someone else then..."

It's a nonsensical there as it is here.

Stop whinging Drumpot, like another poster said get over the fact people express different opinions.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

tenor.gif

The only point you have is "I don't want to hear things i don't agree with consistantly".

If posters come in hear and post the same positive things over and over you won't have a problem with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement