Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

buried wrote: »
    I honestly don't see where you are getting this from D. Everyone I know, my small close circle of mates, my relations, are all dissapointed with these new works. We don't "hate anything Disney" at all. Every Christmas Eve me and my sister and her lot always make the evening more majick by sticking on a classic Disney animation. We have to do it, and we all genuinely love doing it, those films are brilliant. It's just we find these things very poor, thats how we simply find them, there is no agenda

My issue isn’t with people who don’t like it. It’s with certain posters who do nothing BUT complain before and after they are released. If you are not in that bracket my comments are not directed at you.

Do you honestly not see certain posters who do nothing but post negative comments and random SW jibes at all opportunity? You don’t see the angry or overly defensive comparison with soccer fans who may like or hate a player/manager in the SW forum?

In all fairness, my wife is always saying I think too much about these sort of things. She doesn’t give a sh*t and do you know what she’s right.

The only point you have is "I don't want to hear things i don't agree with consistantly".

If posters come in hear and post the same positive things over and over you won't have a problem with it.

This reminds me of the mayor in Ghostbusters 2 “it’s every New Yorkers god given right to be miserable.” And on that point I agree..

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's not even a valid comparison. There's plenty of team criticism carried out by fans and supporters of a given team across every football forum. Sometimes the fans of a particular team can be the most critical of all voices.

There's shitposting about other people's opinions on football forums too, when some people can't have the view challenged, usually to the tune of "go support someone else then..."

It's a nonsensical there as it is here.

You finish by saying “it’s as nonsensical there as it is here” which suggests you actually agree with me for once Tony.

Do you not think people who prefer Star Trek and who might feel SW is an inferior franchise are not comparable with rival fans who think their team is the best? You can of course like both franchises but there are Ultras of both who strongly defend them.

Or even fans within SW who are strongly convinced the new movies are good or bad are not the same as fans of the same team who rate or don’t rate their teams manager/squad or certaIn players?

I don’t get you Tony. We both know you probably won’t enjoy Solo so why will you go an see it? (genuine question, I’m not looking to antagonize, I just don’t understand why you would bother!).

The nearest I can come up with was Twilight. The one with the wedding. I knew it would be bad (couldn’t believe how bad it was to be honest, I’m still haunted by how sh*t it was) but went anyway. But I didn’t goto the next one that’s for sure!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Really man, build a bridge. You've almost filled two pages with shıte about 'other peoples opinions'. We get it, you dont like criticism, especially if it's both before and after.

If there is a particular item of peoples criticism of Solo/ Star Wars that offends you (e.g. 'not reshooting TLJ to incorporate Leia's death was a mistake'), please elaborate on that and explain why a particular criticism is invalid, rather than just moaning about people being negative in general.

People have the right to be negative on the turn Star Wars has taken. The original trilogy is loved by many, many people and the current custodians of it have a lot to live up to - I think they are overegging it with things such as 'Solo' and the new trilogy already announced. I also think TLJ was an ultimate dissapointment.

The reasons for my dissapointment have already been covered here numerous times. You - jnstead of taking umbrage with the particular reasons people have elucidated for the dissapointment - are complaining at people being dissapointed at all.

Shows us the specifics... Deal in detail, make a point someone can engage with. Shıt or get off the drumpot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Drumpot wrote: »
    You finish by saying “it’s as nonsensical there as it is here” which suggests you actually agree with me for once Tony.

Do you not think people who prefer Star Trek and who might feel SW is an inferior franchise are not comparable with rival fans who think their team is the best? You can of course like both franchises but there are Ultras of both who strongly defend them.

Or even fans within SW who are strongly convinced the new movies are good or bad are not the same as fans of the same team who rate or don’t rate their teams manager/squad or certaIn players?

I don’t get you Tony. We both know you probably won’t enjoy Solo so why will you go an see it? (genuine question, I’m not looking to antagonize, I just don’t understand why you would bother!).

The nearest I can come up with was Twilight. The one with the wedding. I knew it would be bad (couldn’t believe how bad it was to be honest, I’m still haunted by how sh*t it was) but went anyway. But I didn’t goto the next one that’s for sure!!!

tenor.gif

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Really man, build a bridge. You've almost filled two pages with shıte about 'other peoples opinions'. We get it, you dont like criticism, especially if it's both before and after.

Actually you don’t get it.
    tigger123 wrote: »
    I think it's far to say that reaction to TLJ in that thread has been quite negative, and the same applies for the TFA thread, but to a lesser extent.

This thread seems to be very much leaning in the same direction, and the film hasn't been released or seen yet. Which is strange; you'd think people that are fans of the franchise would wait to see it first instead of criticising a film they've yet to see.

Think that's the poster was driving at.

Tigger does...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

The whole thing for me has just become an abject dissappointment. Fair enough, I haven't seen this thing yet, and probably won't, because I have seen all of the recent SW works that have come before, and they have resulted in a total shocking disappointment. I had a small bit of hope for this, I liked the last trailer, but this one, once you hear the dialouge man, Jayzus, you know what its going to be like, two hours of the first ten minutes of TLJ is my best bet what its going to be. The whole Disney angle really skewered it for me with these things. I had great hopes for the new ones once I heard disney had bought the rights. Here is a studio that has a gold standard track record for creating good stories with great characters, not only in the past but also in recent memory with the likes of 'Up' and 'Wall-E". But these new SW things are a mess, especially TLJ. The awful attempts at awful humour, the poor plotlines, the weak characters, characters you do not give a $hit about whatsoever, it really is shocking and really disappointing. I don't want to find these things to be poor for the sake of it, but they are poor to me, really poor. It's desperately strange and disappointing because it is Disney. It's actually shocking If they are just copying the Marvel Movies way, thats just really really lazy and money hungry. Nobody in 30 years time will look back fondly on any of these things the way some of us look back on TESB for instance, not even the kids that love this and the Marvel noise at the minute, because 500 more noise movies made the same way will have drowned out this current mess that they think they like now. Thats the way it's going. It's totally f**ked IMO

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really odd they didn't wait to bring this out for the Xmas market like the last few movies

I think it's far to say that reaction to TLJ in that thread has been quite negative, and the same applies for the TFA thread, but to a lesser extent.

This thread seems to be very much leaning in the same direction, and the film hasn't been released or seen yet. Which is strange; you'd think people that are fans of the franchise would wait to see it first instead of criticising a film they've yet to see.

Think that's the poster was driving at.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    Tigger does...

And both of you are labouring under a falsehood.

Criticising what we've seen in the trailers, with the knowledge of its troubled production and the - as of yet - fairly lack luster output from the production studio allows people to make a judgement.

ON WHAT WE'VE SEEN SO FAR.

There isn't anyone criticising the finished film, because nobody has seen it yet.

Into the bargain, the overwhelming criticism of the trailer has been what we've seen on Alden Ehrenreich's effort at Han Solo, which hasn't been anything to write home about.

To say the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Really odd they didn't wait to bring this out for the Xmas market like the last few movies

Probably to give Mary Poppins a chance to breathe: that’s a curious prospect that could thrive if the competition isn’t too fierce.

That said, Episode IX and Frozen 2 will be going to bat with only a few weeks apart... so Disney isn’t above a bit of competing with themselves. I guess when you own almost every ****ing pop culture property that’s a problem you inherit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

This is the Han Solo thread isn't it? Came on looking for star wars film discussion and there's just a bunch of bitches whining about their feelings.

#freedavid75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

#freedavid75

#pleasedont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I think this is going to be really good.

Despite all the behind the scenes and the lukewarm reception.

It'll probably help it that people have such low expectations, if it's as good as I predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Mokuba wrote: »
    I think this is going to be really good.

Why?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Why?!

I actually think that the trailers look decent.

I also like the cast.

#freedavid75

Is he gone for good? Or just a wee while?

Is he gone for good? Or just a wee while?

Not sure tbh. I know he was on probation so he is sitebanned. Could be 3/ 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

You're taking the mickey here, right?

I'm dead serious, as daft as that sounds. The guy in the Chewie suit is sh!te in TFA* and TLJ.

*I know Peter Mayhew did some sit down scenes, or anything that wasn't too taxing on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I'm dead serious, as daft as that sounds. The guy in the Chewie suit is sh!te in TFA* and TLJ.

*I know Peter Mayhew did some sit down scenes, or anything that wasn't too taxing on him.

Why is he sh!te?

• Advertisement

Pretty much everything I think about the trailer summed up in this vid.

Except for the "Ehrenreich situation", of course.

Also, that planet with the tusked skull could be Mandalore, which means we light get a Boba Fett cameo awkwardly shoved into this thing.

Further on the "Ehrenreich situation", if Han Solo is in his 20's here, it might make for a better effort at working. Also, I heard from someone that in one of the books, Solo had his eyes changed to fool the Empire after he broke Chewbacca out of captivity. If at the end of this movie, Solo has to change his features somewhat to evade capture from Sky Riders, the Empire and whatnot, that'll will go a long way to easing the idea of Ehrenreich as Solo at 25 in this and Ford as Solo at 35 in 'Star Wars'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

New tv spot. The more I see the more I like. Chewie's reaction at the end is pricekess.

https://youtu.be/KUXd7p_vd3w

Slave 1 at 0:39.

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Great trailer, I've got a really good feeling about this film now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Meaningless fan fiction. Of course it has Boba Fett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Ron Howard is a good director but I'm still a bit skeptical about it all.
    There's surely going to be a new class of star destroyer that is bigger and badder. I guess i'm very wary of yhe franchise churning movies out every calender year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They've done a tie in with Renault. Chewie and co all appear in it. A different type of speeder bike appears too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

They've done a tie in with Renault. Chewie and co all appear in it. A different type of speeder bike appears too.

Brought to you by the design team at Raleigh

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quite timely, given the re-release of Season 4 of Arrested Development on Netflix this Friday... Ron Howard reprises his narration :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

... and that's why you always leave a note :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Are tickets for this still expected to be on sale from tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

pixelburp wrote: »
    Quite timely, given the re-release of Season 4 of Arrested Development on Netflix this Friday... Ron Howard reprises his narration :D

Is luke buster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Shred wrote: »
    Are tickets for this still expected to be on sale from tomorrow?

I'll answer my own question - tickets are now on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

SOLD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like the reshoots couldn't save Emilia Clarke's lack of charisma; can't completely condemn a performance on a 50 second clip n' all, but she's just such a wooden actor...

Looks like the reshoots couldn't save Emilia Clarke's lack of charisma; can't completely condemn a performance on a 50 second clip n' all, but she's just such a wooden actor...

She is an awful actress, her performance as Sarah Connor was dreadful, she's a charisma vacuum with as much presence as a wet paper bag with a face drawn on in crayon. About the only thing, she was tolerable in so far has been Dom Hemingway but that's largely thanks to how unhinged Jude Law was in so much of that film. She's the kind of no note actor who never really should be in anything other than SyFy films of the week, you know the kind she started her career appearing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

And yer man looks like a kid playing Han Solo dress-up.

The music's a bit jarring and off-key too.

But... that's just a wee clip. Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Clarke is brutal. I can't wait for her to be killed off in Game of Thrones. Typically her character will probably last to the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Not sure tbh. I know he was on probation so he is sitebanned. Could be 3/ 6 months.

He should have been thrown into the sarlaac for 1000 years.

• Advertisement

The more I see, the more I'm convinced this will be a good film...with all the wrong characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

She is a shocking actress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Tbf, preview Twitter remarks are almost always 'OMG, it's awesome!' in nature. The same was said for Justice League, The Last Jedi, etc.

I saw an interview with Alden and Jimmy Kimmel where he admits there is a scene where Han speaks to Chewie in Chewie's language. That is probably going to be awful and will just mess with subsequent Han/Chewie interactions. For example: when Han and Chewie are working together in ANH and they have to deal with Leia, why aren't they making smart comments between each other in Chewie's language since Luke/Leia wouldn't understand them? Retroactively introducing the idea that Han can speak Chewie's language for decades but never shows it is rather stupid. Particularly, as Han is a character who would love to make smart comments about people to Chewie in many different situations.

Still though... seeing it on the 24th. Expecting a mess, so if its anything other than that, it should do okay by my book. #NotMySolo. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

As for Favreau's Star Wars TV Series, he has just confirmed that it will take place 7 years after Return of the Jedi. Maybe, just maybe, some day, we will have a Star Wars 'thing' that takes place far removed from the current timeline of Episode I through to Episode IX.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2018/05/11/this-is-when-jon-favreaus-star-wars-tv-series-will-take-place

Falthyron wrote: »
    As for Favreau's Star Wars TV Series, he has just confirmed that it will take place 7 years after Return of the Jedi. Maybe, just maybe, some day, we will have a Star Wars 'thing' that takes place far removed from the current timeline of Episode I through to Episode IX.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2018/05/11/this-is-when-jon-favreaus-star-wars-tv-series-will-take-place

There's a problem there with who the baddies are going to be.

At least with the Empire, you have an established, recognisable antagonist and one that isn't just a copy of them, like that First Order nonsense.

Still, if they play their cards right, this could be good. Probably the best Star Wars thing in ages. But, they need to stay away from the kiddie crap like 'Rebels'. Give the show some balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm not normally a fan of having to wait for later media to retroactively fill in narrative gaps that shouldn't exist in the first place but that could be a very nice companion piece to the new trilogy.

Um...it's this kind of crap that's going to wreck 'Solo' for me. While not as excruciating as the so-called "humour" in 'The Last Jedi', it still nulls the tension of the scene.

Great music, a heightened drama...then a dumb "comedy" moment. :rolleyes:

I hope there's not too much of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'm not normally a fan of having to wait for later media to retroactively fill in narrative gaps that shouldn't exist in the first place but that could be a very nice companion piece to the new trilogy.

I'm looking forward to that element of it too. For all the faults of the prequels, I felt the overarching story of Anakins transformation kind of made it all worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Um...it's this kind of crap that's going to wreck 'Solo' for me. While not as excruciating as the so-called "humour" in 'The Last Jedi', it still nulls the tension of the scene.

Great music, a heightened drama...then a dumb "comedy" moment. :rolleyes:

I hope there's not too much of this.

I liked it! I've had enough of po-faced seriousness. Seriously, some people would be giving out about the "we're all fine now" gag in Star Wars, or Han thumping the Falcon to get it started in Empire... (not saying you personally)

I liked it!

Fair enough and there's plenty that will.

Personally, I knew exactly what was going to happen in that scene, as soon a s Ham Solo stepped forward and started yapping.

I also read today that the female voiced droid in 'Solo' is concerned with "droid rights"...deeply. :rolleyes:

Fuck sake.

I'm really hoping this isn't a pile of crap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement