Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Christ - the pages and pages of pan-sexuality arguing were painful to wade through.

Just keeping things warmed up before the exciting "critics v. audience" and "rotten tomatoes, pros and cons" main event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Seeing this tomorrow night at the Odeon in Blanch. The weird thing is, despite being a massive Star Wars fan, I kinda want to go see Deadpool 2 instead... Even typing that feels... 'odd'. I should be excited, but I'm not. A weird and new feeling to have on the eve of a Star Wars film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Falthyron wrote: »
    Seeing this tomorrow night at the Odeon in Blanch. The weird thing is, despite being a massive Star Wars fan, I kinda want to go see Deadpool 2 instead... Even typing that feels... 'odd'. I should be excited, but I'm not. A weird and new feeling to have on the eve of a Star Wars film.

To be honest I wouldn’t be going to the midnight screening had a friend not offered me a seat at the lighthouse. That’s the best cinema for me!!!

And Deadpool 2 is very good. Why don’t you Goto see both!!!

Drumpot wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn’t be going to the midnight screening had a friend not offered me a seat at the lighthouse. That’s the best cinema for me!!!

And Deadpool 2 is very good. Why don’t you Goto see both!!!

Yeah, my friend and I have gone to the midnight showings of VII, Rogue One, and VIII, but we decided against it for Solo. We aren't expecting much and don't want to look like zombies the day after for (what appears to be) an average enough film.

Not a bad idea. I might use Deadpool 2 to cleanse my palette of Solo. :pac:

Yeah, my friend and I have gone to the midnight showings of VII, Rogue One, and VIII, but we decided against it for Solo. We aren't expecting much and don't want to look like zombies the day after for (what appears to be) an average enough film.

Not a bad idea. I might use Deadpool 2 to cleanse my palette of Solo. :pac:

Ha, that’s exactly what I was going to suggest. At least if Solo disappoints you know you will be getting a quick pick me up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭starvin

Just home from it. I wasn’t expecting much from it and I was still disappointed. Terrible story, awful characters, stupid dialogue the whole film feels really rushed together. 3/10.

Deadpool 2 was much more enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back. It was good. Went from being a good fun film to
    a fun film with heart
    :)

Saw it in IMAX 3D. It benefits from the 3D but you can live without it.

It's a scoundrel story story and it is done well for that. Some of the feel of the scoundrels from the animated shows came across I think.

There are nods to many things like
    Darth Maul still being alive in the animated Star Wars The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. They are trying to make the dice from Last Jedi a thing. It kinda felt forced.

It looks like it sets up
    for at least one or two more films, one definitely on tatooine with Jaba and another to do with the rebels and crimson dawn.

Slydice wrote: »
    Just back. It was good. Went from being a good fun film to
    a fun film with heart
    :)

Saw it in IMAX 3D. It benefits from the 3D but you can live without it.

It's a scoundrel story story and it is done well for that. Some of the feel of the scoundrels from the animated shows came across I think.

There are nods to many things like
    Darth Maul still being alive in the animated Star Wars The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. They are trying to make the dice from Last Jedi a thing. It kinda felt forced.

It looks like it sets up
    for at least one or two more films, one definitely on tatooine with Jaba and another to do with the rebels and crimson dawn.

I agree, it was enjoyable.
    Darth Maul was a surprise and while it feels like it’s setuo for at least one more am I not wrong in saying solo doesn’t believe in “hokey religion” or something to that effect? How could he meet a Sith Lord and not believe in it?

But seriously anything that brings
    Maul back to the big screen has to be good.
    . I said to my friend “is that
    Darth Maul
    ? He obviously looks different and I forgot that he could easily have
    robotic lower body
    cause I was trying to do the maths as to Han and Luke’s age or when the movie was set.

Also, I felt it was very different to the other movies. There wasn’t
    heart pounding pace
    really at any stage and the stakes were
    small in comparison to any of the other Star Wars movies

Just some other nods were
    Landos suit in ROTJ and Bossk was mentioned earlier in the movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Why in the name of jaysus did that character pop up?

I like the character but come on!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is this the first Star Wars movie without any R2D2 or C3PO cameos, or the "I've got a bad feeling about this" line?

Unless I missed them it's probably both good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

robinph wrote: »
    Is this the first Star Wars movie without any R2D2 or C3PO cameos, or the "I've got a bad feeling about this" line?

Unless I missed them it's probably both good things.

Yes to both, however -
    Han DOES say "I have a good feeling about this."

Plus Anthony Daniels does have a role in the film. He plays the Wookiee that helps Chewie on Kessel.

doubledown wrote: »
    Yes to both, however -
    Han DOES say "I have a good feeling about this."

Plus Anthony Daniels does have a role in the film. He plays the Wookiee that helps Chewie on Kessel.

Ah I would hardly be nitpicking at those or Warwick Davis involvement for that matter. These things shouldn’t have much of a bearing in terms of whether you thought this was good or bad.

Its very quiet in here... Off to see Solo at 8.30pm. Will post my thoughts on the film later tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Not sure I liked it. The problem with this type of movie is that the story seems forced just to include all the past events that were mentioned in the other movies. A lot of it was a disappointment when those stories came to light i.e. How he got the name Solo, The Kessel Run, meeting Chewy etc

May need to go see it again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think I was expecting something a bit more from Han for the life debt think that then had Chewie hanging around with him forever more. Yes, he broke him out of a prison. But a few more other victims thrown into that pit to get eaten by Chewie and that pipe is collapsing anyway. It wasn't as if anyone was overly bothered when they got out either.

Was expecting something more along the lines of pulling him out of a sarlac pit type jeopardy for Chewie to be in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought it was alright. Not the best film but enjoyable enough as a watch.

Only issue was the cnuts in the cinema who couldnt control their kid. At one point, he actually had his phone out and was watching something on it, sound on and everything.

Should be legal to hit people like that. Was tempted to just go and stand in front of them (they were back row) so they couldn't enjoy it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s grand in a completely uninspired way,

There’s something about these ‘stories’ so far that just seems completely disposable. They’re unnecessary stories told with only the most modest amount of flair. It’s no different here than it was in Rogue One. Right from the start - the lack of a crawl after ‘a long time ago...’ will never not seem wrong - this all feels very, very minor. And while minor is fine if done well, this all just feels particularly underwhelming.

Visually, this thing’s a mess. I mean, it doesn’t help that it’s so soon after the most formally accomplished film in the series, but man this is a super bland film visually. The opening half hour or more suffers particularly in that respect - drab, industrial environments that do nothing to set the tone for what is a lighthearted adventure. Things brighten up a few notches when the heist gets underway, but never to the point of matching the tone. Howard is a workman and keeps thing moving, but it is a film largely devoid of impressive directorial flourishes... a shame. Lord and Miller at least seem like they would have been great fits for the material and may have more wholly embraced the lighthearted vibe that shows the film at its best.

The first major sequence of the film feels like it was haphazardly shot down the local docks.

When this settles into the heist - at least half an hour too late - it does find its feet somewhat, and becomes a decent, fun adventure with some appropriately colourful characters (Waller-Bridge In a particularly enjoyable supporting role, but most of the cast acquit themselves well). But it also gets bogged down in both prequel-itis (a dramatic pause afforded to the first mention of ‘Solo’ is the kind of pointless detail that can curse films of this sort) and setting up future sequels... the final stretch in particular is the sort of extended universe guff that’s straight out of the Marvel playbook. It makes for weirdly unsatisfying drama, even as character arcs and this film’s own stories reach a natural, sometimes solid conclusion.

Ultimately, it’s fine and never properly rises above that. There’s a good hour of good fun, albeit surrounded by filler and franchise gubbins that dilutes it significantly. I probably enjoyed it a notch more than Rogue One, but that’s not saying a whole lot. This is the kind of film I feared Disney would make with Star Wars... solid but utterly unremarkable stuff. Oh well, at least we still have The Last Jedi.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

I thought it was dreadful.

What was the point of it?

The Paul Bettany guy is about as scary as Jar Jar Binks.

Appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Quite enjoyed it. A fun little romp. Geeked out for
    Darth Maul, even though it did hurt my head then trying to figure out when the film is set

I’d happily watch a sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Just back from seeing it and I enjoyed it. A couple of eye-roll moments, but overall it was quite fun and entertaining.
    Loved seeing the Empire at war segment, that was superb. And I thought that was going to be Vader in the hologram at first when I saw the mechanical legs, but I know Sam Witwer's Maul impression all too well from watching the Clone Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Went last night, a LOT sooner than I expected TBH. Anyway, at the risk of this post looking like a CIA document on JFK, I'll just spoiler tag the whole lot and knock out it quickly, before I head off...

A completely frivolous and uttlerly pointless film - which while not a bad thing in and of itself - just really, really didn't need making and screams "please like our star wars" by Disney in the most desperate way.

It's not absolutely unenjoyable, it's just meh overall, which I suppose is the common state of being for the modern blockbuster.

LIKES -

-Chewbacca. If you like Chewie, you'll at least get something out of this.

-Aliens. There's plenty of them knocking around in the background, like there should be.

-Mimban. Good scene, but way, way, too short. Liked the WWI vibe that came with that. Frankly, the whole film could have taken place there and I would have been happier.

-Lando. Glover is great. Even certain intonations in his voice reminded me of Billy Dee Williams. The world and his wife seems to be all over this lad at the moment and if he plays his cards right, he's sure to have a very fine career.

DISLIKES -

-Well, No.1 has to Alden Ehrenreich's Hank Solo. It's, to put simply, just not good enough. It's nothing like Harrison Ford, not that it had to be, but it sorta had to be, if you get my drift. Otherwise why bother?. It lacks the charm needed to pull it off and I never once felt comfortable with it. Unlike Glover, Ehrenreich fails completely to convince. There's not one moment where I forgot that I was watching him and not Han Solo on the screen. It does an awful lot to kill the film and I really, really hope that LFL don't recast anyone else in the blessed trinity of OT stars. And I really, really did give him a chance.

-Tandie Newton. Just an awful character. Completely useless and equiped with stupid hollywood type quips that passes for dialogue. More than once I internally said "just answer the blooby question without the smartarse reply...". So happy when she died, even if how she went out was completely dumb.

-That four armed alien. Another crappy "character", where Disney was trying to channel Ricky Raccoon (or whatever he's called) from the equally frivolous 'Guardians of the Galaxy'. His New Jersey or Chicago (?) accent was bloody irritating as hell. So satisfied when he bit the dust too. Christ. So, so bad.

-Speaking of bad. L337. Fucking god...From her stupid h4x0r name to her woeful "droid rights" bollocks, she's shot straight into fourth spot on the "worst Star Wars characters evar!!!" list. Just terrible. So, so, grating and never once feels like the Star Wars movie droids that we all know and love. Her dialogue too...cringworthy and embarassingly unfunny. Very, VERY happy when she got blown to bits. It just didn't happen quick enough.

-Ciara, or Q'ra, or she-ra...whatever. Such an unimportant character that the film tries hard to make important. Emilia Clarke is the epitome of an actress that gets parts because she's very pretty. She has zero screen presence and has about as much charisma as a wet sponge. She sucks the life out of every scene she's in, like that black hole thing that killed space Cthluhu.

-Space Cthluhu. WTF?

-Paul Betany's character. About as much threat as a damp rich tea biscuit and someone who would have been bumped off long before it happened. A public schoolboy bully that wouldn't survive ten minutes in the real world. Too real life posh to be convincing.

-There's too much "explaining" going on. Like everyone feared, we see things happen to Solo, that we know about Solo from the OT that didn't need elaborating. While, thankfully, the film is not saturated with this stuff, what's in there helps the eye rolling. We see how meets Chewie (obviously), we see how he gets his name, we see how he gets his famous blaster, we see his (now famous) dice, we see how he gets the Millenium Falcon etc and every time a piece of his backstory is unveiled, it feels like a dud.

-Enfys Nest. Turns out, shes a child and a wannabe rebel too. :rolleyes: Another nobody in a fancy suit of armour.

-Darth Maul. His resurrection was dumb in 'Rebels'. It's more so here. I know 'Rebels' is "canon". But, the cartoons are looked on by most fans as canon lite. Now he's in a film, it's bolted on. Why can't anyone just bleedin stay dead in Star Wars?

-The humour is DOA. While it's certainly not as egregious as the crap jokes in 'The Last Jedi', there wasn't one single laugh out of me or the lads, or anyone else in the cinema either. Han speaking wookie..no...just no.

Anyway, there's lots more nitpicks to be gone over. But, it is what it is. I cannot imagine returning too many times to this (even in fanedit form), so overall, it's another dud, sort of, from Disney. There's stuff in there that's entertaining, for sure. It's worth watching (albeit with incredibly reduced expectations) and it's a harmless 2 hours. But, unlike 'Rogue One', it just doesn't add anything at all to Star Wars and never once feels like it tying in. It kinda feels like one of those Star Wars ripoffs from the 70's. Hello 'Starcrash' :pac:

Also, I'll echo what robinph said above...that's the "rescue" that Chewie pays his famous life debt for? Really? Looked like a joint venture to me. In the end, it's just another bit of Star Wars EU history that's been drop kicked into the bin, I suppose.

It's funny, as I said in the pub afterwards, that film could have been much better, if it was

A. About totally new characters

B. 'Kelly's Heroes' in space. Have a bunch of Imperial soldiers pull off a heist on Mimban during the war.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah jaysus Tony. At least give us an idea of what you thought :rolleyes: :)

No

:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I went to see it last night, might be just me but f**k me did it have to be so dark? It was very difficult to make out a lot of scenes because of how dark it was.

pixelburp wrote: »

If you bet on what you thought Tony would think of it based in his feelings in general about the franchise since Disney bought it, you would win your bet.... :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I braved the wall of tags and there's practically no spoilers in it. Just skip the dislikes section if you don't want to know about a couple of character deaths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Probably, but at the risk of fluffing his ego, Tony is a good contributor who often makes decent contributions to the Star Wars threads, even if I don't necessarily agree with hiim (eg, Last Jedi). Plus after outing himself as a huge nerd via namechecking the Trandoshians, I'm doubly interested to hear his thoughts :p

Probably, but at the risk of fluffing his ego, Tony is a good contributor who often makes decent contributions to the Star Wars threads, even if I don't necessarily agree with hiim (eg, Last Jedi). Plus after outing himself as a huge nerd via namechecking the Trandoshians, I'm doubly interested to hear his thoughts :p

Oooh, ego fluffed!

Em...I didn't really want to spoil anything for anyone, so it was just better to tag everything. Maybe that was wrong, but I was in a rush.

Anyway, it's a relatively entertaining 5/10. It's more toward the good side of average, overall. But, it has some serious drawbacks that prevent it from getting a higher score.

Glover and Chewie are the best things about it really.

In football terms, it's a 0-0 draw.

Siri what does pixelburp imagine when he thinks of Tony E.

DPRQClE.gif

Tony EH wrote: »
    Oooh, ego fluffed!

Em...I didn't really want to spoil anything for anyone, so it was just better to tag everything. Maybe that was wrong, but I was in a rush.

Anyway, it's a relatively entertaining 5/10. It's more toward the good side of average, overall. But, it has some serious drawbacks that prevent it from getting a higher score.

Glover and Chewie are the best things about it really.

In football terms, it's a 0-0 draw.

Do you think you Would you feel the same if this was just a science fiction movie with different names? You have alluded to it before that you felt this could of been somebody else’s story in the universe. How much does the #notmysolo effect your enjoyment of these movies?

I suppose I don’t get as hung up on the uber nerdy aspects you aluded to so I can generally let certain things go seem to upset you. That’s not an insult by the way , it’s just me trying to understand you.

I thought it was a decent movie, entertaining if not spectacular. I would class it like a marvel movie that’s enjoyable but quite generic , unoriginal and quite forgettable. Disposable entertainment that’s a decent watch but isn’t going to add an awful lot to the overall universe. A safe enough entry that shouldn’t offend most people. I think 6.5/10 is a reasonable score.

• Advertisement

It’s no different here than it was in Rogue One. Right from the start - the lack of a crawl after ‘a long time ago...’ will never not seem wrong - this all feels very, very minor. And while minor is fine if done well, this all just feels particularly underwhelming.

If you get the crawl then it's a film about space wizards, if you don't then it's a war movie set space with a cameo by a famous space wizard in the final minute to remind us that they exist.

Better than The Last Jedi.

Shocking, I know.

But, it is.

Considering my position leading up to release (which was questioning the need for such a film and how cynical the decision to make this film was), I find it hard to believe that Solo is one of the better Star Wars films since Disney took over. It has flaws, but it is a good film.

Can't explain now as I don't have the time, but a full thesis is coming soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I saw it last night. It's average and inoffensive, bar a few quibbles but none that are a patch on some of the atrocities in TLJ. I must say I like Alden Ehrenrecih. He had big boots to fill, they will never be filled so you just got to deal with it. Emilia Clarke is bland as I expected. Beautiful to see on screen but she hasn't got charisma outside of her giggly interviews. I'm still maintaining that that tall nordic lad can't do a good chewie. His posture and everything is all off, the way he bends down to roar gets on my nerves. This irk really kicked in when he roars at Luke in TLJ.

Some points of dislike.
    The origin of the name Solo. I don't think Han would keep a name given to him by the Empire. If he came up with it as he was being questioned about being alone, no tribe etc then I'd let it pass. Still, it was cringe.
    No action sequence was any way exciting. It was quintessentially Ron 'safe hands' Howard as has been said a lot recently.
    Han speaking Wookie.
    The first meeting of them was a let down. There was no mention of life debt in original trilogy AFAIK so I'm not going to get hung up on that, but the idea of Chewie being in a cage underground and eating people is just weird.
    The marauder with the robo-voice was obviously a female to me. I don't buy that the small girl playing her was the same person in the gear fighting Woody Harrelson on the freight train.
    Foreshadowing - was super obvious in this film that I imagine 4DX screens would give you a jolt when certain lines are spoken.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Is anyone as confused with the timeline as I am. Based on some of the conversations I got the feeling that Han was about to embark on the job that he got in trouble with Jabba the Hut during episode 4. That would mean that Han and Chewy's relationship would be fairly new when they came across Ben/Luke - I always had the feeling that it was a much longer partnership than that.

Do you think you Would you feel the same if this was just a science fiction movie with different names? You have alluded to it before that you felt this could of been somebody else’s story in the universe. How much does the #notmysolo effect your enjoyment of these movies?

Yeh, I think the "Ehrenreich situation" is a big one and it's hard for me to see past it. Han Solo has been "my" Star Wars character since I was 5 years old. I just don't see anyone but Harrison Ford there. I'm still very much of the opinion that this should never have been as a "Han Solo" film. Any team of new Star Wars characters would have been better. Even one that had Chewie in it, before he met Solo. It's just unnecessary for the film to be about Han Solo. Take away all the character accessory reveals and this film could, literally, have been about anyone else. It all just felt so needless.

Another plus note, I forgot to mention, was Woody Harrelson's character, Beckett <- the most un Star Warsy name ever? I thought he was pretty great. Interesting enough to warrant my attention and believable as a burnt out swindler looking for one last big score so he could go off and play the bouzouki, or whatever he was on about.
    I suppose I don’t get as hung up on the uber nerdy aspects you aluded to so I can generally let certain things go seem to upset you. That’s not an insult by the way , it’s just me trying to understand you.

TBH, I don't really get hung up on the nerdy side of Star Wars myself. It's all just a twee, self indulgent pastime really. But, I just feel that these films are missing something - besides 'Rogue One', obviously, which was really responsible for kicking off my interest in Star Wars again. 'Solo' has a lot of...um..."star wars" in it. It's built well, for want of a better word and its world designs are interesting. But, it's still about Hank Solo at the end of the day, if you know what I mean. I spose I'd like Disney to branch out a bit. Develop the universe beyond the relative safe hook of OT characters. I mean, the news that the Boba Fett movie is in pre-production was just so inevitable as to be greeted with a shrug, a sigh and a resigned "whatever".
    I thought it was a decent movie, entertaining if not spectacular. I would class it like a marvel movie that’s enjoyable but quite generic , unoriginal and quite forgettable. Disposable entertainment that’s a decent watch but isn’t going to add an awful lot to the overall universe. A safe enough entry that shouldn’t offend most people. I think 6.5/10 is a reasonable score.

I spose I sort of agree. But, it doesn't have to be that way. The more I think on it this morning, the more I like the idea of a 'Kelly's Heroes' in Star Wars. It would be great to focus on Empire folk, for a change. Have the film start on Mimban and show the crappy conditions there - pretty much like they did in 'Solo'. Have someone tell of a big score somewhere. Show the team forming up and deserting. Perhaps they team up with Enfys Nest and her gang, or maybe even members of Saw Gerrera's group from 'Rogue One'. They being chased by both the Empire and some Star Wars criminal enterprise too. There's a whole film in there.

I'd much rather have seen that film.

I just feel the way Disney are going about it, it's mostly by the numbers so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well that was, a movie.

It was fine, it was exactly what I expected it to be, a very bland story cobbled together out of the 5 or 6 throwaway lines of character history we know about Solo's past from the original trilogy.
    This was easily the most forgetable Starwars movie yet, it just felt lethargic and low stakes with the possible exception of the Kessel run which was the only part of the movie that came alive for me. I was really hoping it would be the gripping heist that Rouge One wasn't, but all the twists and reversals feel limp, driven not by character or plot but rather by the need to get to the next plot point.
    Ehrenreich is the 'High School Musical of Han' Solo's and surprisingly, Glover's Lando failed to land for me, perhaps my expectations were over hyped by reviews when it turns out that he is simply the least worst character of the film.
    Oh, and L3-37 is exactly as annoying as you might expect. There are a few cringe moments in the movie and apart from how Solo gets his name, most of them involve that droid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Better than The Last Jedi.

They're both meh to a certain extent, but I definitely came out of Solo a lot more satisfied with the movie as a Star Wars movie, than I did with The Last Jedi.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Is anyone as confused with the timeline as I am. Based on some of the conversations I got the feeling that Han was about to embark on the job that he got in trouble with Jabba the Hut during episode 4. That would mean that Han and Chewy's relationship would be fairly new when they came across Ben/Luke - I always had the feeling that it was a much longer partnership than that.

It almost looked that way.. back when
    Beckett had brought it up cos that was the next thing he was going to do

BUT
    Now he's dead and they don't know alot about the plan except that there's a possible job on tatooine

for the next steps, I think they're gonna rock off with the Rebels for a bit, probably get chased around a bit by Boba Fett.. so that Han can not be over at tatooine while Obi Wan is doing his thing.. and so allowing them to meet for the first time later on in Episode IV: A New Hope

Slydice wrote: »
    It almost looked that way.. back when
    Beckett had brought it up cos that was the next thing he was going to do

BUT
    Now he's dead and they don't know alot about the plan except that there's a possible job on tatooine

for the next steps, I think they're gonna rock off with the Rebels for a bit, probably get chased around a bit by Boba Fett.. so that Han can not be over at tatooine while Obi Wan is doing his thing.. and so allowing them to meet for the first time later on in Episode IV: A New Hope

Yeh and in TROTJ Jaba talks with Han like he did a lot of jobs for him. My guess is that there could be anyhere up to
    15-20 years between Chewie/Han meeting and ANH based on this movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

for the people who have seen the movie can you tell me...
    what does Darth Maul do in this movie, does he get up to much?

In ANH they were talking to each other as if they had been doing jobs for years:

for the people who have seen the movie can you tell me...
    what does Darth Maul do in this movie, does he get up to much?
    He stands up.

robinph wrote: »
    He stands up.

yeah,
    less than Snoke in force awakens, it's a very brief scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I was a bit hesitant about this film since its announcement but I went to see this film yesterday. Im not going to lie, I enjoyed it. It straight up scoundrel story so I wasn't expecting anything like the trilogy films, regarding the story lines. I thought it was fun and clean. I think I enjoyed because I did not give it any thought nor did I think to much into it when it was first announced. I did not have any expectations going into it.

I didnt think Ron Howard was the best choice to direct taking his style and previous films, but I liked what he did at certain stages as much as what he did in other parts that I was a fan of.
    The one thing that truly pissed me off was when a political comment was made by the Lando's droid J3, it was towards the end when they were in the cock pit of the falcon with cargo on board, and something was said between a character and the droid about wanting or needing something else and the droid responded with "equal rights", maybe something trivial to others, but that really annoyed me

I was not expecting Darth Maul at the end. and I was delighted to see the character back on screen as he has been a favourite of mine

Sounds crap. Maybe not as bad as Last Jedi but still. Another dud from Disney.

• Advertisement

Sounds crap. Maybe not as bad as Last Jedi but still. Another dud from Disney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yeh and in TROTJ Jaba talks with Han like he did a lot of jobs for him. My guess is that there could be anyhere up to
    15-20 years between Chewie/Han meeting and ANH based on this movie.

it's
    10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Hyzepher wrote: »

The vibe in ANH is that he's done many jobs for Jabba and that the trouble he got caught up in was just another wee incident that wouldn't have been as big a deal if he didn't get caught up with Luke and Leia. As others posted about ROTJ, Jabba alludes to there being longer history too.

*WARNING* I think I have covered up the spoilers, but if not, a mod can cover them up for me if I missed any.

Ok, almost 24 hours have passed since seeing Solo: A Star Wars Story, and here are my thoughts.

To begin: I disagreed, profoundly, with the reasons for this film. I honestly felt it was a cheap, safe, cash-grab by Disney, devoid of creativity, inventiveness and ambition. When I saw who was cast as Han Solo, again, I reiterated my position arguing that Alden lacks the charisma, physical features, and stature to come close to Harrison Ford (he is also pretty damn short in height by comparison, to begin with!). Finally, I felt the film would spend most of its time doing fan service, references to 'Who shot first?', Boba Fett appearance, Jabba too, and many other issues to substantiate the 'why' Han Solo does what he does. Most importantly, the mystery surrounding his character adds to his persona, we don't need to know who he is or what makes him tick because Episode IV, V, VI, and to some extent, VII, doing a perfectly fine job with character building as it is. As such, we all get Han and know what it is that makes us love the character already.

Having said all of that, I honestly do feel Solo: A Star Wars Story is one of the better, if not, best Star Wars film to be released since Disney's acquisition of LucasFilm and the IP. It is important to note that I don't consider it to be a flawless film, nor do I consider it critically important, but this has more to do with how I view the franchise since Disney took over than the quality of Solo itself.

1 - The film takes us to new places far removed from the Skywalker storyline. We see Corellia for the first time! From Corellia to Kessel to Savareen and others, we finally get to experience parts of the galaxy that feel like the Outer Rim. Planets run by cartels, gangs, and outlaws vying for control with an Empire, presumably, at its peak. Complete domination of these systems is currently the objective of the Empire and while others maybe scrambling for a semblance of freedom from the Empire, various groups are too busy playing their own war, playing both sides, and pursuing wealth. This was alluded to in The Last Jedi, but it did not go far enough. We see planets and species enslaved, exploited for their resources and those ruthless enough to dispense with 'workers' on a whim because labour is cheap and readily available. Disparate and varied worlds is always to be expected in a Star Wars film, but we saw the Empire struggle on some and have absolutely no presence on others - in addition to the physical differences of the planets themselves; snow, sand, mud/rain, urban junkyards, and mines.

2 - Cultural differences. This film, in my opinion, really expanded on the 'Extended Universe'. We saw different alien creatures, droids, languages, people, customs, and Teras Kasi(!). It was great to see the palette growing rather than simply using what has come before in a different way. In short, much of what I saw on screen felt relatively fresh, new, different, helping to achieve a sense of belief that not only is the universe massive, but that there are many stories being told elsewhere in interesting places other than what we have seen before. In short, I am intrigued to learn more about these planets, aliens, customs, than I am for another trip to Tatooine.

3 - Alden was fine. Nothing special, but certainly not awful or terrible. He is a capable actor and if you try to imagine he is someone else (some random kid who finds himself caught up in a heist as a cheap way to make some money) it enhances the film. It is as I thought: this is a good heist film wrapped, needlessly, in leaning on a familiar character to draw the crowd. This isn't Alden's fault - he was never going to match Harrison Ford, but when he tried he was close enough. Mannerisms, certain looks, how he stood, for example, gave a brief flash of the Han we are familiar with, but his voice is wrong and his stature - he is too short. If we imagine this film is about a lad called 'Jan' and his big hairy Wookie friend, this has the makings of a new story, a new character, and new perspective to explore the Star Wars universe, and Alden is capable in doing this. While under the 'Solo' moniker, it struggles to truly grab the fans. Then again, as Kathleen Kennedy pointed out: "Kids today can't connect with characters like Luke Skywalker" - the plan is to phase out the old guard and replace them with new, young actors who will stick around for a while and emulate great characters from the past. This, once again, stokes the fires of debate around whether or not Disney is rebooting Star Wars.

4 - The story is a moderately strong point in this film. It was always going to be about Han and Chewie's initial meet, the Falcon, and the incidents/experiences Han had which moulded him into the character we see later. What I liked about it (on a surface level) though was the twists, the snappy betrayals, and the sense of desperation exuded from each character, it was cutthroat and it didn't matter who ruled the galaxy when you have credits and a ship. Much of this film felt far removed the Rebellion/Empire storyline and that was refreshing.

5 -
    Han speaking Wookie (Shyriiwook for the real nerds) was wrong. This only detracts from the consistency of his character. Han is cheeky, a chancer, and would take any opportunity to make a sly comment or dig at someone he doesn't like. There are many situations he and Chewie find themselves in during the Originals where he could have said something to Chewie in Shyriiwook and he would have relished the opportunity, but he doesn't. It is always English. I can understand this is an origins film and the writers needed to explain why Han can understand Chewie, but this route was incorrect, imo.

6 - The music was great and the use of the music from Empire was wonderful to hear again, particularly during that sequence. Possibly, the best use of the music in the recent films to date.

7 - Lando was excellent. His voice, mannerisms, poise, facial expressions, attitude was on point and it really did feel like a young Billy Dee Williams at times. I would hope to see he and Lando working together again in the rumoured Solo sequels to come, although I am not sure how that would align with how their reuniting in Empire would work - it feels as if the last time Lando saw Han was the card game where he won the Falcon: "You have a lotta nerve coming back here after the stunt you pulled",
    with the 'stunt' I imagine, being lifting the card from Lando's sleeve.

8 - Tobias Beckett was an interesting character for much of the reasons I have mentioned already - he personified a tired Outer Rim gangster looking to get his last big score so he can finally retire. World-weary and ruthless, he felt like a different type of anti-hero who was just trying to make it in a galaxy where everyone is out for themselves. I would have liked to have seen more of Woody's exploits prior to Solo.

9 - I enjoyed the character of Dryden Voss, manipulative, cunning, unpredictable and it left you anxious as to what he might say or do. Not exactly pantomime, but at the same time, insidious enough to keep you interested. Again, a fresh take on a typical Star Wars villain and for that reason alone, I can appreciate the effort. I found him to be more interesting than Krennic, for example, who reminded me of some opportunistic bad guy, where as Dryden felt more 'evil'.

10 - Qi'ra, played by Emilia Clarke is fine. Nothing particularly great or terrible about her.
    I don't think she is given the screen time to develop and yet, there was always a hint that maybe she is playing everyone as well. That hint, however, wasn't clear enough for when she does jump ship and, as such, it felt a bit more like a damp squib than a clever strategy executed by her.

As for the other supporting characters like Thandie Newton's and Jon Favreau's (Four armed pilot), I can't really say much about them. It felt as if there was more of a Kelly's Heroes or Ocean's Eleven vibe coming from them at certain points, but this was curtailed by other moments in the film. Perhaps this was Lord and Miller's original vision and Howard applied some serious adjustments to deviate from this plan, who knows? But the point still stands, I would have liked to have seen Beckett's team as a sort of Ocean's Eleven setup where Han comes in as the rookie. Wishful thinking, on my part.

The introduction of
    Maul immediately sparked 'Obi Wan film confirmed' in my mind. It is an interesting twist to decide Maul survived and is a serious boss of Crimson Dawn. Is he still a Sith? What about the rule of two? Has he cut himself off from the force, like Luke in TLJ, to avoid the Emperor's gaze and Vader's senses? Who knows, but I do know that this is a big story from the Star Wars Rebels series and that Obi Wan fights him again, hence my belief in the development of an Obi Wan film. As for Maul's role in Solo sequels, lets see where that goes for now.

We're all here for the great spectacle and action sequences though, and apart from a relatively quiet mid-section, I felt the film zipped along nicely. I certainly wasn't bored and I definitely wanted more on the planet where we see Han fighting as an Imperial. That was a proper, gritty battle sequence and I would like to see more of that in a Star Wars setting. It was great seeing the Falcon flying (particularly when it actually became the Falcon ;) ), but space combat, for the most part, was sacrificed for pretty solid battles with blasters, and a welcome surprise of Teras Kasi. For a film which, supposedly, experienced up to 70% of re-shoots it isn't discernible (to me, anyway) which parts were Lord and Miller's. Howard did a fine job in maintaining the structure and narrative throughout without much of a tonal change to be detected (apart from the Ocean's Eleven vibe I mentioned above).

The humour was subdued and kept to a minimum with Han and Chewie's rapport providing most of the laughs through off-hand comments. I was worried it would be awkward or cheesy (see 'Your Mom' jokes in TLJ), but it steered clear as best it could.

In summary, much of my enjoyment of Solo: A Star Wars Story comes from my own desire to see new worlds, fresher perspectives, and a clear ambition to try new things. This film, imo, did both and that does detract from the whole experience. Yes, the film feels far removed from the Skywalker timeline, the Empire/Rebellion story, particularly if you try to imagine you are not looking at a young Han Solo. It almost delivers in introducing a new character, a part of the galaxy that has different values, goals, and principles where money and power is the main focus, not some ideological pursuit akin to Jedi/Sith or autocracy/democracy. Could it have gone further, of course, but this is Disney and safe means profit. At the same time though, the film is held back by the need to tell a story about a character nobody really wants to know. It is forced to supply fan service moments
    (Han shoots first, Han speaks Shyriiwook, lifedebt or not, where does he get his blaster, how does he earn the Falcon, where he got his name)
    and while I honestly feel these are kept to the minimum and not some collection of drawn out processes, it still fails to resonate with an audience not seeing Harrison Ford. This is a competent film where there are laughs, great action sequences, but (and most importantly for me) asserts the idea that the galaxy is huge and there are different worlds out there not restricted to adhering to where their allegiances lie, Sith/Jedi/Empire/Republic.

If Solo had been about a young lad growing up on Corellia as a slave, looking for freedom and wanting to escape persecution, Alden could have produced a new and interesting character. He could have started a new trilogy showing us very new and different aspects to the Star Wars galaxy. Instead, we have a film seeking to balance (ironically) good and evil, ambition and profit to the detriment of the overall quality of the film, but not so much as to confine it to the 'it will do pile'. This is a film, I believe, Star Wars fans can enjoy if they look past the need to address Solo's origins. There is a lot of meat in there which does not pertain to who Solo is, and its in those parts where we can find an interesting band of supporting characters, perspectives, values, and worlds.

Drop the old guard (kill it, if you have to), but allow writers to bring us to these new places in Solo, to experience different worlds, and offer a fresh take on the types of people and characters who inhabit it.

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 7.5/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Well, that was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

Not a SW classic by any means but a solid 6.5/10 and a pleasant 2 hour diversion.

Not being familiar with the expanded universe lore, I was a bit thrown by the appearance of a certain character at the end, but from doing some online research, it apparently makes sense.

I thought Ehrenreich did a pretty good job as Solo - he's a bit short and his voice is different, but that's hardly his fault. Emilia Clarke was weak, but she's not a great actress IMO.

Everyone else in the cast was grand.

I thought they should have gone full heist-movie with it as the bits that worked best were when it morphed into a science fiction version of Ocean's 11.

• Advertisement
Advertisement