Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Drumpot wrote: »
    Wonder if this would work if they made a Kenobi movie next.

Personally, I think they need to stop with the checklist of OT heroes.

Star Wars in not Marvel and it never will be, no matter how much Disney try to make it so. You can't just have a docket of names and make origin films about them for Star Wars. It won't work, especially when you start ripping up already implanted histories for those characters, that many people are beholden to. Marvel superheroes have a history of being dumped in the bin and restarted. Star Wars characters don't.

They need to get a bit of balls and start coming up with independent, but connected stories, that aren't completely hooked on famous names. Hopefully, a flopping 'Solo' will tell them that.

Disney seriously need to be thinking twice now about their Kenobi, Boba Fett, Lando and Princess Leia films. Not to mention their Skywalker reboot that I have have doubt they have on the cards at some point.

I think, probably, the best thing Disney could do for the next "A Star Wars Story" is flesh out what Vader did between the end of 'Revenge of the Sith' and 'Rogue One', where he's the Emperor's hand and hunting down the remaining Jedi. Yes, I know he's an OT character, but the film wouldn't be about his origin (we already got that) or have to be entirely focused on him. It would be more an empire at war film. Or, if they have to do a Boba Fett film, make it about him being hired by Vader to uncover the identity of the pilot who blew up the Death Star. But, I'm not really sure how that translates into a 2 hour film.

AMKC wrote: »
    Chewbacca eats people? :confused:

They never said he done that but then if you are trapped and are not being giving anything you would be surprised what people or animals will do to survive it's their only means of it.

Perhaps. It's still just weird.

In any case, the
    eating people is inferred strongly by the empty stormtrooper uniform and if I'm correctly recalling, the guards directly mention that the "beast" is hungry.
    [/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Story was a bit meh, although Ehrenreich put in a decent performance as Solo, which made it passable entertainment. Left the cinema wondering if this was the improved Howard reshoot, then how bad was the original Lord and Millar version though? Maybe in 30 years, we'll get to see it, similar to the Donner cut of Superman 2.

I'd rank this one in with those Ewok movies in that it's technically a Star Wars movie, but it's not really.

Strangely enough, I'd still like to see a sequel, as better writing and better story could turn Solo into something.

PS: Don't let Lawrence Kasdan anywhere near it. He's dined on Empire Strikes Back far too long at this stage !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it tonight. God it was bland. Didn't do much for me at all.

Flat humour, flat storyline and the only good set piece was the train.

Very average. Some of the creature design was great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Tony EH wrote: »

Star Wars in not Marvel and it never will be, no matter how much Disney try to make it so. You can't just have a docket of names and make origin films about them for Star Wars. It won't work, especially when you start ripping up already implanted histories for those characters, that many people are beholden to. Marvel superheroes have a history of being dumped in the bin and restarted. Star Wars characters don't.

They need to get a bit of balls and start coming up with independent, but connected stories, that aren't completely hooked on famous names. Hopefully, a flopping 'Solo' will tell them that.

Disney seriously need to be thinking twice now about their Kenobi, Boba Fett, Lando and Princess Leia films. Not to mention their Skywalker reboot that I have have doubt they have on the cards at some point.

I think, probably, the best thing Disney could do for the next "A Star Wars Story" is flesh out what Vader did between the end of 'Revenge of the Sith' and 'Rogue One', where he's the Emperor's hand and hunting down the remaining Jedi. Yes, I know he's an OT character, but the film wouldn't be about his origin (we already got that) or have to be entirely focused on him. It would be more an empire at war film. Or, if they have to do a Boba Fett film, make it about him being hired by Vader to uncover the identity of the pilot who blew up the Death Star. But, I'm not really sure how that translates into a 2 hour film.

Haven't seen the film for the simple reason i think they marketed it really badly. I was aware and super excited for Infinity Wars and Deadpool 2, i only became aware this was even released when a mate put it up on facebook.

You make valid points about the direction Disney is going i probably will give it a miss now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Kenobi should work because it’ll be full of interesting characters.

Solo was too full of uninteresting bums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Calhoun wrote: »
    Haven't seen the film for the simple reason i think they marketed it really badly. I was aware and super excited for Infinity Wars and Deadpool 2, i only became aware this was even released when a mate put it up on facebook.

You make valid points about the direction Disney is going i probably will give it a miss now.

Your going to miss a fun film. I agree the marketing was not great but maybe that's a good thing. The less you see and know about a film before you see it the more chance you might enjoy it.
    I seen Infinity Wars and thought what a boring,dull bloated film, I seen Deadpool two and came out disappointed with it, The trailer for it had given away all the funny parts too it.
    I seen Solo and loved it. It's much better than the other two films you mentioned.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Well, that's not really the reason for the post. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go and see it. Be all means, do that, if you want to. It's an ok film, with a few good scenes. You have to make the choice on whether that's enough to drop a few quid on.

My post is more about how I see things possibly standing with old school Star Wars fans and how Disney is running the show at the moment.

Kenobi should work because it’ll be full of interesting characters.

How do we know?

Kenobi, as it stands, spent 20 years in the desert on Tatooine, keeping his head down, in case Vader found out about his sprogs.

People are saying that the stakes were low in 'Solo' and they were, if dying on a heist is considered low stakes. But, not everything has to be about saving the galaxy. Personally, I found that part of 'Solo' to be quite refreshing.

But, 'Kenobi' has the potential for the stakes to be even lower. He can't afford to get involved in anything that will blow his cover.

As an aside, is anyone else getting this weird double spacing going on in their posts?

Each time I post, it automatically puts a double space between paragraphs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

AMKC wrote: »
    Your going to miss a fun film. I agree the marketing was not great but maybe that's a good thing. The less you see and know about a film before you see it the more chance you might enjoy it.
    I seen Infinity Wars and thought what a boring,dull bloated film, I seen Deadpool two and came out disappointed with it, The trailer for it had given away all the funny parts too it.
    I seen Solo and loved it. It's much better than the other two films you mentioned.
    Well, that's not really the reason for the post. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go and see it. Be all means, do that, if you want to. It's an ok film, with a few good scenes. You have to make the choice on whether that's enough to drop a few quid on.

My post is more about how I see things possibly standing with old school Star Wars fans and how Disney is running the show at the moment.

Ah its not just that it just seems to be an unremarkable film, my mate did say it was good because he thought it was going to be so bad.

With two young ones its rare i get to the cinema dont know if i want to waste it on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Saw it last night. Its pretty average, a bit too long I think. You know exactly where Han and Chewie will end up, so there's no sense of risk to them at all. Donald Glover was a good Lando, found his droid to be highly irritating - even when just walking along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I agree with you. .

While I would love to see a Vader movie I would worry though that it would take some of the magic away from that character. His appearance in Rogue one (particularly at the end) was so enjoyable because it was sparse.

That said a Vader and Emperor movie does sound superbly exciting in theory. With both undermining or trying to replace the other in the sith tradition!

But generally I agree I would love to see some of the other stories explored. I have only read some of the older stuff and it seemed like it would be great on the big screen!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Conceptually and creatively, I think Star Wars has the best shot at a lasting franchise if it focuses on TV adaptations. The reality of what's expected from modern blockbusters, versus the expectations of 'a Star Wars film' means there's almost zero room for growth or exploration of some other stories or themes. As I've whinged about before, Star Wars is a franchise of motifs, not ideas, so films are obliged to tick those boxes. And as mentioned earlier, try as they might, Disney can't wedge (geddit) a shared universe into Star Wars; it just won't work.

With TV now a debatably more creative medium than mainstream cinema ATM, there's genuine scope for a properly bedded down Star Wars story that can shoot off to any corner of the universe - or any genre - it wishes to. Game of Thrones knock-off with the Hutts? Sure, why not. A 'domestic' drama set under the yolk of a newly installed Imperial garrison? Let's do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

I'm probably one of the only ones who doesn't have as much interest if it doesn't have a Jedi element or force element to the movie. I don't think it works as well. It's Star Wars, the force/Jedi are what imo the whole thing is about. The mythology of it. One of the reasons I wasn't that interested in Solo.

Anyone can be Han Solo or Lando, you want to see the highly gifted people which are the Jedi's, Siths etc.

Re: the tele...

I think it depends on what sort of TV show we're talking about. If it's an HBO style drama, with a little grit here and there, but with Star Wars, it could work definitely. If, on the other hand, it's a "Marvel" style TV show, a lot of people will reject that, eventually, if not outright. If the movies have been bland and forgettable fare, the TV shows have been even more meh.

And TV shows, in general, need to start reducing their episode number. 10 is a good round figure. If you can't tell your story in 10 hours, something's wrong. Too often, TV shows up their episode figure and then they find they have to pad out their "season" with "bottle" episodes, that largely annoy people. Although this also down to American TV's irritating habit of spliting a season in two over the course of a year. Show the damn thing over 10 weeks and be done with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Re: the tele...

I think it depends on what sort of TV show we're talking about. If it's an HBO style drama, with a little grit here and there, but with Star Wars, it could work definitely. If, on the other hand, it's a "Marvel" style TV show, a lot of people will reject that, eventually, if not outright. If the movies have been bland and forgettable fare, the TV shows have been even more meh.

I don't agree with that: I'd be the first to say it was utter muck in season 1, but Agents of SHIELD recently ended its fifth season and has been a legitimately excellent character-driven action drama for the last few seasons. Season 4 was one of the best pieces of TV aired that year, hands down. 'Bland' it's not, and effectively been disconnected from the MCU, relying on its own cast and their arcs instead of tying into the cinematic universe. Moreso the Netflix shows, whose more mature tone & themes necessitated further removal from the MCU. Their quality levels are variable, but I don't think they lack their own voices as such; if their flaws lie anywhere, it has been a lack of pace and drive in their seasons. Iron Fist was the first true flop IMO, which admittedly never could rise itself above 'redundant'.

If there are lessons to be taken from the MCU-on-TV for Star Wars' own dalliance, is that it should be unafraid to forge its own destiny and not worry about tying into the cinematic universe. There's also a big gap in .... I dunno, family appropriate genre TV that'd do gangbusters if executed right.

As great as shows like The Expanse is, I miss those glory days of the late 90s, early 00s, when Trek, Stargate, Farscape & Babylon 5 went on adventures across the cosmos without smothering the stories with excessively mature themes or tone. In the race to grit everything up for the more mature, HBO skewed audience, it's easy to forget that a lot of folks just want escapist entertainment that takes them on an adventure - and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 5/10

An insipid, predictable and badly acted adventure film that prioritises frenetic, noisy action ahead of character driven story.

Its no surprise that a project that had such well publicised production problems has resulted in such a vacuous shell of a movie. This is a film that had no demand and didn't need to be made.

They auditioned hundreds of actors for the titular role and Alden Ehrenreich is the best that they could come up with? Harrison Ford managed to exude more charisma when encased in Carbonite than Ehrenreich manages throughout this entire film. They then had the great idea of casting him alongside Emilia 'Crest of a wave' Clarke who again shows the world why she shouldn't be anywhere near a Hollywood film. Their staggering ineptitude makes me yearn for Ford and Fisher's effortless chemistry.

Clarke and Ehrenreich's inferior ability is bought to light even more when Donald Glover shows up and pulls of a superb interpretation of a young Lando Calrissian. By far the best thing in this film. His performance immediately feels familiar and warming.

My main gripe is how creatively redundant the whole project is. It's so predictable and restrictive. There is zero jeopardy and all of the new characters are expendable and pointless. At one point they tease a returning character from the old films... but with the infuriating caveat that we have to endure more Emilia Clarke.

Any studio that has tried to replicate the success of the MCU has done so in an incompetently transparent way, none more so that Universal with their 'Dark Monsters Universe'. It seems that even Disney themselves are trying a bit too hard to spawn another universe; There are a few loose ends and set-ups here that are clumsily dealt with and don't really seem to make any sense. Whether these are intended to be explored in 'Solo 2' or one of the other spin-offs, i'm not sure. I just think they need to be a little less heavy handed.

Solo was dull in both a narrative sense and a visual sense. The films opens up with text depicting a 'Lawless world' full of smugglers and crime yet the film itself is full of fresh faced, wisecracking, family friendly adventurers. Its almost as if they realised they needed to bridge these two conflicting elements and they decided the best way to achieve this was to lower the brightness levels of every frame. Now it looks grim and murky, just like the opening text said!

A really shallow, forgettable but safe adventure film. Ron Howard deserves credit for salvaging it and making it work, but its just so plain and average.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

... such well publicised production problems...

Other than occasionally popping in here and wondering why everyone was getting excited about the movie 6 months early as the film would surely be coming out in December I wasn't aware of any problems with the movie production, and even then I had no idea what those problems might be or particularly cared about it. But unless you are looking out for every little tiny bit of information about the next movie then most people wouldn't know.

I was in the midnight showing in the big local multiplex, barely a handful of people there and despite every one of their screens showing it. Think there may have been only 20 people in the screen I was in. Most people who'd be interested in going to see a Star Wars movie probably were not even aware that it was on and would have been assuming that it would be released in December. The only reason I found out it was actually coming out this month was when I was stood in the queue at the cinema to buy tickets for the toddler to watch the Bing bunny film a few weeks before and the trailer caught my eye and I happened to see the date which took me by surprise.

There may be problems with the film itself, but the biggest problem is releasing it when people were not expecting it at a different time of year to their established dates for the last few years and nobody knowing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

robinph wrote: »

There may be problems with the film itself, but the biggest problem is releasing it when people were not expecting it at a different time of year to their established dates for the last few years and nobody knowing about it.

The thing is, they clearly want to 'Marvel' the star wars universe. So they want to be able to release multiple films in the same year. They can't rely on a December release date for every film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

El Duda wrote: »
    The thing is, they clearly want to 'Marvel' the star wars universe. So they want to be able to release multiple films in the same year. They can't rely on a December release date for every film.

No reason not to work on it more, reshoot parts and delay until December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

No reason not to work on it more, reshoot parts and delay until December.

True, but Mary Poppins is coming out in December this year and I can't see Disney wanting any competition getting in the way of that. It sounds like they want to do a Poppins trilogy so they need it to have a strong run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I didn't go into this expecting much and I was right not too.

Boring and badly acted I struggled not to get up and walk out.

The only thing that kept me into the end was trying to spot Easter eggs.

I have not seen any of the trailers, love the star wars universe, lads and ladies, i'm asking honestly is this a movie worth watching for star wars or is it a disney fest of star wars.
    Thanks.

El Duda wrote: »

Releasing it in May isn't really an issue. The legions of Star Wars fans know the significance of May for Star Wars and cinema fans in general usually check to see what's coming for a particular month. And it isn't like a film is in the pictures for just one day. This thing is going to run for a least another couple of weeks, until 'The Incredibles 2' comes out and starts shunting it.

Simply put, the majority people aren't not going because the they don't know about the film. They're not going because there's no real interest in it.

Also, about Marvelising Star Wars. This is one of the things I've been against since the very beginning of Diswars. You can have the "this is how *insert superhero name here* got started" type films for that realm and you can have the "team up" movie as well and it'll trundle along, hunky dory.

But you can't do that with Star Wars, so a Marvel style approach just isn't going to work here. Disney are in a real pickle with this, if that's their template. The just don't understand or get it. Star Wars should practically make itself and I'm amazed at how people keep fucking it up. The only one, so far, to really understand and capture the spirit of the original films has been Gareth Edwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have not seen any of the trailers, love the star wars universe, lads and ladies, i'm asking honestly is this a movie worth watching for star wars or is it a disney fest of star wars.

Thanks.

I think Star Wars are films that are not too complicated but fun to watch and a bit of escapism. I think this film hits that nail on the head. Sure you know the main characters are not in any danger but you do not know how they started out and I found it to be a fun movie. I thought the acting was very good. I thought Han, Chewbacca and Londo were done well and would have no problem watching it again.
    Ah its not just that it just seems to be an unremarkable film, my mate did say it was good because he thought it was going to be so bad.

With two young ones its rare i get to the cinema dont know if i want to waste it on this.

I do not think it would be a waste. Think they would really enjoy and you too. Maybe go of peak like to an Odeon on Wednesday or to an IMC cinema on a Thursday. That way if you do not enjoy it then at least you did not pay to much for it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

pixelburp wrote: »
    Conceptually and creatively, I think Star Wars has the best shot at a lasting franchise if it focuses on TV adaptations. The reality of what's expected from modern blockbusters, versus the expectations of 'a Star Wars film' means there's almost zero room for growth or exploration of some other stories or themes. As I've whinged about before, Star Wars is a franchise of motifs, not ideas, so films are obliged to tick those boxes. And as mentioned earlier, try as they might, Disney can't wedge (geddit) a shared universe into Star Wars; it just won't work.

With TV now a debatably more creative medium than mainstream cinema ATM, there's genuine scope for a properly bedded down Star Wars story that can shoot off to any corner of the universe - or any genre - it wishes to. Game of Thrones knock-off with the Hutts? Sure, why not. A 'domestic' drama set under the yolk of a newly installed Imperial garrison? Let's do it.

You'd just to have to look at Clone Wars and Rebels which despite the limitations of being aimed for children's television have handled some of the aspects of star wars much better then most of the films primarily because they've had the space to develop ideas. They've also handled fleshing out some of the characters that show up in the film much better then they were in the film Saw Gerrera is handled much better in rebels then his brief confusing appearance in Rogue 1.

On that topic and the reveal at the end of Solo
    That really is a dud of a reveal, if you've not been an avid follower of the franchise in animation etc Darth Maul appearing out of nowhere is a confusing and bizarre appearance. If you have been an avid follower of the franchise it's a reveal that feels like it cant go anywhere. Maul's entire story has been almost entirely fleshed out across the clone wars and Rebels animated series and really all they are teasing is filling in a small chunk of timeline between his defeat by sidious at the end of one series and his return back into the series in the middle of Rebels, you really cant do much with the character unless they are intending on adapting stories from the animated series into film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Saw it tonight. Was enjoyable enough.

There'd be plenty to pick holes in but it never attempted or pretended to be anything more than it was – and the marketing, the 'hype', and my own expectations reflected that. I was just entertained.

It did go on too long though. Had a handful of really clunky scenes. Ehrenreich was good but never came across as the Han Solo we've seen before – but that didn't really feel like a problem. Glover's take on Lando was much more recognisable and very entertaining, even if it did border on parody from time to time.

I've already forgotten yer one from Game of Thrones. I guess she was... in the film.

The equal-rights robot actually paid off quite well in the end, and a few good lines along the way.

The story was fine. Nothing really maters but it was decent fun.

Controversial: thought it was better than Rogue One, which just tried too hard. Enjoyed it more than the first time I watched TLJ, although TLJ was a lot better on repeat viewing.

Still feels like a silly short-sighted idea to recast Han Solo and to release this movie at all. But it was fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Falthyron wrote: »
    True, but Mary Poppins is coming out in December this year and I can't see Disney wanting any competition getting in the way of that. It sounds like they want to do a Poppins trilogy so they need it to have a strong run.

While Star Wars has theme parks and themed hotels opening up in the coming year, so keeping this messed up production to it's earlier release date, and leaving a bad buzz for 19 months until IX sounds like a solid plan. They really should have delayed it.

• Advertisement

While Star Wars has theme parks and themed hotels opening up in the coming year, so keeping this messed up production to it's earlier release date, and leaving a bad buzz for 19 months until IX sounds like a solid plan. They really should have delayed it.

I agree and I would go one step further to say they should never have made it in the first place! :pac:

Yes to a heist film set in the Outer Rim, but no to any connection with the old guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Lol this has flopped hard.

The angle they are now spinning...

Are movies about straight white men toxic for Hollywood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I havnt seen the movie yet but one comment suggested that Solo doesn't do a lot in the movie, its more the Scooby gang around him, true or not? if so it would seem like a serious watering down of the character which would negatively affect the vibe of the movie.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

silverharp wrote: »
    I havnt seen the movie yet but one comment suggested that Solo doesn't do a lot in the movie, its more the Scooby gang around him, true or not? if so it would seem like a serious watering down of the character which would negatively affect the vibe of the movie.

Nah, that’s not true. It’s definitely a ‘I’m putting a gang together’ heist movie in many ways so there’s plenty of characters who get screentime and moments, but Han is unmistakably the main protagonist and hero. Plenty of chances for him to shine. I mean, it may be a painfully mediocre film, but it definitely puts Han at the centre of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

You have to laugh. When Last Jedi came out half the fandom hated it for trying to be too different and thought they'd ruined Luke, they wanted the Luke they'd grown up with, not this crusty ol' lad . Solo comes around , they give us a Han by the numbers entertaining romp , and people are 'but that's the Han I've always known, why didn't they do something different, where's the characterization ?

They can't win really .

I think it's more like:

"Yaaay...can't wait for 'The Last Jedi' to see what cool stuff Luke gets up to.........WTF was that shite!!!!!!!"

and

"Solo? Huh, wha? Sorry not interested."

:D

• Advertisement

I think it's more like:

"Yaaay...can't wait for 'The Last Jedi' to see what cool stuff Luke gets up to.........WTF was that shite!!!!!!!"

and

"Solo? Huh, wha? Sorry not interested."

:D

I think we both know thats a bit of a oversimplification Tony, people didn't like the "characterisation" of Luke in TLJ, they wanted the Luke they'd always known, a man who would never have given up on his student or abandon his friends.

Solo comes out and suddenly everyone wants prestige tv level of characterisation and moan that they should have been braver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

You have to laugh. When Last Jedi came out half the fandom hated it for trying to be too different and thought they'd ruined Luke, they wanted the Luke they'd grown up with, not this crusty ol' lad . Solo comes around , they give us a Han by the numbers entertaining romp , and people are 'but that's the Han I've always known, why didn't they do something different, where's the characterization ?

They can't win really .

Well with TLJ we had Leia Poppins, dad jokes, awful side plots with Finn, and some awful performances (I'm looking at you Bennicio) to mix in with any Luke frustrations.

I think a lot of people's problems with Solo is either that they can't get over anyone else playing Han, or simply that the film is very average on the action front. Overall the plot isn't so bad. Some characters could be better served, and it didn't have to touch all the bases we expected like meeting chewie, and the Kessel run, but Rogue One was worse for the knowing nods to the past.

Rogue One has better action, mainly the last act, which saves it for me. I know a lot of fans love it, but it truly is a weakly structured film that should have been so simple a set up, and I find it more frustrating the more I see it. Solo is a decent film that is let down a tad by it's plain delivery.

I think we both know thats a bit of a oversimplification Tony, people didn't like the "characterisation" of Luke in TLJ, they wanted the Luke they'd always known, a man who would never have given up on his student or abandon his friends.

Solo comes out and suddenly everyone wants prestige tv level of characterisation and moan that they should have been braver.

I think we're both doing oversimplifications, aren't we Philo?

Re: 'Solo'...I don't think people are saying that Disney should have been "braver". I think they're saying that they shouldn't have done it at all.

I think we're both doing oversimplifications, aren't we Philo?

Re: 'Solo'...I don't think people are saying that Disney should have been "braver". I think they're saying that they shouldn't have done it at all.

Some are saying that certainly, but those of us who have accepted it did in fact get made, have actually formed opinions on it beyond the why of it all. From what I've seen here and on other sites & comment sections the vast majority of people are moaning as to why they weren't braver, that its "bland/beige" that he's the same Han they knew from beginning to end.
    Basically, paint outside the lines of peoples expectations like in TLJ, people get upset , paint inside the lines like in Solo and people are still upset. This fandom is so long established and so entrenched in its views it's veritable no win scenerio.

We obviously frequent different sites if you're seeing different Tony which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Jaysus, that was mediocre. Star Wars is going to become irrelevant very quickly if they churn out blandness like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Jaysus, that was mediocre. Star Wars is going to become irrelevant very quickly if they churn out blandness like this.

I think it might already be too late. Has that ship sailed?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think it might already be too late. Has that ship sailed?

I don't think so. They haven't thrown enough shít yet to work out what sticks. Episode IX is, effectively, the end of Star Wars for most, if not all, old-guard fans and yet Disney has yet to produce a new strand of Star Wars ideas or stories to keep the coffers afloat. They will try a few more random ideas before they will give up entirely.

If the Game of Thrones showrunners are, indeed, making a trilogy set in the Old Republic, then that will be Disney's first real foray into untold territory. If it fails after Solo, Boba Fett, and presumably Obi-Wan failing, where else can they go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I liked it.
    Don't get all the hate. It's not that bad. Now last jedi on the other hand? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Basically, paint outside the lines of peoples expectations like in TLJ, people get upset , paint inside the lines like in Solo and people are still upset. This fandom is so long established and so entrenched in its views it's veritable no win scenario.

I completely disagree, my problem is they're both very poor films, TLJ especially so.

Saying it's a lose lose scenario is defensive spin talk from Disney IMO.

You can paint outside the lines and still deliver a brilliant film - Chris Nolan proved that recently with Dunkirk.

I'd argue Rogue One was painting outside the lines to some degree and is one of the best star wars films of recent times, it's not perfect but it's 10x better than TLJ and Solo.

With the exception of Rogue One i think from the Phantom Menace to The last Jedi (not seen Solo yet) they have been pretty poor imo.

They just don't hold my attention, they seem all over the place, maybe the child in me has grown up i don't know, i really want to like them but

jaysus there just awful, i think Disney killed the newer ones for me, maybe i'll just wait for them to come on netflix or something.

Lucas was a genius in creating the mythology and the overall Star Wars universe.

As a director, he was awful and as a scriptwriter he was even worse.

Kershner can take a lot of credit for Empire.

However the new Star Wars under Disney is even worse. The whole thing smacks of being assembled by a committee with a checklist.

From a storytelling point of view they have firmly established that they do not understand the lore of both key characters (Luke) nor do they understand the Force and Jedi/Sith concepts

Pablo Hidalgo should be fired as should Kathleen Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see this today.

jaysus but its the audio visual definition of the word "Meh"

havent been thrown by a film like this in a long time. they've CLEARLY spent loads of money on it and i cant fault the actors.

its just completely unengaging.

i never felt any real dramal and IMO for some bloody mad reason the score didnt seem to gel right with the visuals at all. thats unforgivable in these films. particularly with theme songs as iconic as we have here.

the kessel run was probably the best part in this but besides that as others have said its got the whole "made by committee" feel to it which lends it to feeling souless.

bizarrely i kept thinking of the resident evil films, in that while what your watching aint that great they DO tease you with a sequel (which i presume its not gonna get on these takings if boxofficemojo is anything to go by) which looks ALOT more fun.

hell after THAT guy was introduced i couldnt help thinking how much more fun the film wouldve been if he was the main villain.

5/10 from me.

not BAD, but not good either, deffo not worth paying box office fare for. my advice is wait till its on DVD and watcht it at home with a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

With the exception of Rogue One i think from the Phantom Menace to The last Jedi (not seen Solo yet) they have been pretty poor imo.

They just don't hold my attention, they seem all over the place, maybe the child in me has grown up i don't know, i really want to like them but

jaysus there just awful, i think Disney killed the newer ones for me, maybe i'll just wait for them to come on netflix or something.

I would dispute that.

Revenge of the Sith is an excellent Star Wars movie.

I would dispute that.

No. It is not.

I would dispute that.

Fair enough if you like it you like it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement