Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

lotta rumours going around that kennedys lost her job on the back of this.

talking about a 80 million dollar loss now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

We have to wait a year and a half until the next Star Wars film and that almost seems like a lifetime these days! I just want to get this phase out of the way and see something brand spanking new.

Normally I can't wait for the next thing in a series I love but I can definitely wait for the next Star Wars. Over saturation and the thing is being watered down.

The thing is, if it's a new iteration/ episode of a classic, it has to be damn good, and they should take all the time in the world to ensure it is damn good, at all stages of the process - script, casting, shooting, editing. The fact is that TFA was pretty good, Rogue One was alright, TLJ was pretty dissapointing and Solo was middling, serviceable, almost a straight to video film.

I've had enough for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Normally I can't wait for the next thing in a series I love but I can definitely wait for the next Star Wars. Over saturation and the thing is being watered down.

The thing is, if it's a new iteration/ episode of a classic, it has to be damn good, and they should take all the time in the world to ensure it is damn good, at all stages of the process - script, casting, shooting, editing. The fact is that TFA was pretty good, Rogue One was alright, TLJ was pretty dissapointing and Solo was middling, serviceable, almost a straight to video film.

Tbh, I will go and see Episode IX just to round out the trilogy and the possibility of a Yoda/Luke/Anakin appearance, but I think that will be the end of Star Wars for me. The only exception being: a new film/TV Show set in the age of the Old Republic and/or the Mandalorian Wars.

If Rian's trilogy is set in and around the same timeline as Episodes 1-9, and those kids we saw in The Last Jedi, then I have absolutely no interest in it. As for Favreau's TV Show? Not for me if its another Star Wars Rebels but in Live Action. As for the 'Anthology' films, well, Obi Wan might interest me, but it depends on what the story will be. As for every other 'Anthology' film, presumably tied to the existing Skywalker timeline, not interested whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I'm glad of the wait too, and that's kind of the point I was making. The thoughts of another Star Wars film at Christmas this year wouldn't excite me no matter what it was about. Plus it gives me a chance to catch up on some of the books. Going to pick up The Art of Solo this weekend. Love those art books, they give you a nice insight into the creative process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There’s another fantastic beasts movie out at Christmas I wonder would they have been avoiding a head to head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

robinph wrote: »
    Needed a bit of an explanation for why Lando didn't expose Han as cheating in the second game. Sure that could have then exposed Lando as having cheated in every previous game, but Han was just the newcomer to the table that Lando was playing at with all his "mates", who is going to believe the kid that just walked in and happened to clean out the card playing superstar Lando?

He just rolled over and gave away the Falcon too easily.
    Han didn't cheat to win the Falcon. He stole Lando's "ace" preventing Lando from cheating and then won "fair and square" while also revealing to everyone that Lando cheats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

People are over playing TLJ affect. I think it had little , if anything to do with the performance of solo.

The main reasons for me are:

- it’s not a great movie
    - the fun and initial excitement around Star Wars (TFA) is gone
    - too close to TLJ, we haven’t had SW movies so close together
    - before holidays - Christmas movies invariably do better because of holidays
    - market saturation - Infinity, Deadpool and Solo all released within a month with Jurassic park out- Solo is not an established franchise like the others

You could possibly add the marketing, issues with filming, 40% drop between TFA and TLJ as other indicators that affected it.

TLJ was a success and objectively enjoyed by the majority of the fans. The fact that the most vocal fans have been the loudest doesn’t adjust the satisfactory percentage to explain Solos performance. I’d be interested to know how many people who hated TLJ went to Solo. That in itself shows that outrage of TLJ doesn’t even stop angry fans going!!!

This isn’t a statement that TLJ was objectively good or perfect, more a statement to clarify that I don’t think the enjoyment of TLJ had much bearing on this flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Word of mouth hasn't helped either - its not exactly getting glowing reviews. I went back to see it again at the weekend because my son wanted to see it. It really drags - I ended up falling asleep this time, and I'd actually had a good nights sleep for once.

Despite initially saying how much he loved it (because of Maul) my son then admitted he was pretty bored during it. Its ok, not good nor great - but fundamentally I think it actually doesn't really appeal to any age group of SW fans.

salmocab wrote: »
    There’s another fantastic beasts movie out at Christmas I wonder would they have been avoiding a head to head.

I dont really think that was a great concern. The first was poor and I think people only went to see it out of interest given it is in the same universe as Harry Pothead. Cant see it doing well.

• Advertisement

kdevitt wrote: »
    Word of mouth hasn't helped either - its not exactly getting glowing reviews. I went back to see it again at the weekend because my son wanted to see it. It really drags - I ended up falling asleep this time, and I'd actually had a good nights sleep for once.

Despite initially saying how much he loved it (because of Maul) my son then admitted he was pretty bored during it. Its ok, not good nor great - but fundamentally I think it actually doesn't really appeal to any age group of SW fans.

Its just forgettable. Before the film we were joking a out how it would revolve around the Kessel Run... and it did.

That scene itself was lacking in drama and interest. You would have imagined it would have been some sort of epic flight, but instead it was a dumb escape from a stupid monster. It just felt old and like it had been done before, and done better.

I didnt ever think too much about Han's past and considering this film is 'it', I still won't.

Another poster made a point I thought was valid also in that they could have really shown the story of Han e.g. his childhood etc, in vignettes or whatever.

His story is basically
      1. Meet woman 2. Escape ****hole 3. Meet wookie. 4. Meet Lando 5. Do Kesell Run 6. Win Millenium Falcon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 BigDaveTheRed

is this film good or wha? i thinking of watchin it tomorrow as i have a few days off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

is this film good or wha? i thinking of watchin it tomorrow as i have a few days off

Its far better then it has any right to be given the behind the scenes upheaval. Doesn't try and reinvent the wheel like TLJ , covers the ground you'd expect it to cover in an entertaining enough fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Its just forgettable. Before the film we were joking a out how it would revolve around the Kessel Run... and it did.

The Kessel run actually bothers me, the Kessel part is fine but getting it back to the refinery that was picked for various reasons (cant remember the name of the planet) means that they just had to pick a place that suited, The talk of the Kessel run would suggest a particular route thats well known especially to smugglers but the story itself suggested they picked point B for a reason which to me suggests it was just a run but not one anyone would know. I know Ive expressed this badly but I'm just finishing a night shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The whole Kessel run thing is a perfect example of why some story items should remain a mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The whole Kessel run thing is a perfect one example of why some story items should remain a mystery.
    FYP

Finally watched it last night and if this is the story Kasdan wanted to tell before Disney, Lord & Miller, Howard were ever involved then I was never going to really enjoy this movie. During the production I was positive in thinking that they could do something interesting but I was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Saw it last night. Very meh. 5/10.

I liked Alden and the character, but at no point felt I was watching "Han Solo". Like, at the end there's no way the Han Solo we see in ANH would give anything away to any cause - unless he just did a total 360 on his personality and outlook in 10 years. Which is possible I guess.

Why were Lando and Han friends by the end? They had virtually no time together and didn't seem to bond over anything, except cheating each other at cards.

Similarly, no reason was given as to why Chewie was going to be hanging around with Han indefinitely.

One trick that was missed was around how he got the name SOLO. It should've been... "I have no people. I'm just going solo". And then the Imperial guard mistaking what he said for his surname. Instead of him musing and going "I DUB THEE SOLO". Why would Han continue to use a name he was forced to take?

In all, I felt I was waiting for the big set piece or point of the movie. When I realised it was nearly over I was like "oh right, that it??" If a sequel concentrated on the Adventures of Han and Chewie (TM), that would be good, as I did like seeing the two of them at the controls. But that probably won't happen from the box office reports.

edit: I was actually a little underwhelmed by Lando. I thought he was "grand", not amazing like everyone has said.

Also, I think I could spot a clear Lord / Millar scene - during the dog fight with the Tie Fighters. There were some comedy quips between Han and Beckett, plus Beckett's "I hurt my thumbs" comment was nowhere near like his character in the rest of the film. That kind of humour was much more "Ragnarok" in style, and it actually might have been pretty good had it ended up more like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Also, I think I could spot a clear Lord / Millar scene - during the dog fight with the Tie Fighters. There were some comedy quips between Han and Beckett, plus Beckett's "I hurt my thumbs" comment was nowhere near like his character in the rest of the film. That kind of humour was much more "Ragnarok" in style, and it actually might have been pretty good had it ended up more like that.

Lando filming his little video diary was the part that stuck out most to me - could have been a Ron Howard addition, who knows (cares!). Apparently when Lord and Millar watched a screening it was significantly different from the movie they filmed, and they didn't even bother pushing for a co-director credit.

bonus 2 second bit at the end :)

Post-credits scene uploaded by IGN

(if you want to see more development of Darth Maul from before his appearance in Solo, he has a fair chunk of story in
    the two animated shows, 1. Star Wars: The Clones Wars, 2. Star Wars: Rebels
    )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

The whole thing is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

The cameo at the end of the movie makes the idea of a sequel worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Slydice wrote: »
    Post-credits scene uploaded by IGN

That's not a post credits scene, it's in the movie!

Emilia Clarke is so wooden there it's not even funny. It's a pity Peter Serafiniwicz isn't the voice of him. It makes his appearance that bit more off to those who haven't kept up with the cartoons, and be familiar with that guy doing his voice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching that clip, I stand by an original claim I made a while back: Solo's photography was far too underlit in places. The brightness & colours on my laptop are reliably crisp and balanced IMO, yet I can barely make out Emilia Clarke's face - it's covered in shadow; even before the blinds closed the details were murky. That wasn't an isolated incident either.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭El Duda

That Darth Maul scene is the most shamelss carrot dangling ever.

"Sure the entire movie was awful and pointless... but look who we're setting up the sequel!"

It reminds me of this...

Sequel bait for morons.

See also...

I read somewhere that Howard had no idea who Darth Maul was and only included it because his son picked the name from a list given to him from Disney, that they had approved for the "boss" cameo at the end of the film.

Mediocre movie it has to be said. Completely forgettable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Wow, just saw this today - the first star wars movie where I was waiting for the end. Couldn't keep me interested, just bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

This is like the TLJ for me really enjoyed it when it was in the cinema but really have no desire to ever revisit it , where as the older films I'd watch them consistently when ever they are on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would describe it as harmless. Unlike Rogue One this doesn't really contain anything that I was thinking "Oh I wonder how that happened". But was enjoyable movie. Reminded me more of the opening of Last Crusade showing how he got the hat, using the whip, falling into snakes, etc. "Oh that's how he got the blaster" "That's how he met Chewie". Just convenient everything he's known for happened in the same period, except his name.

While not a sequel to the film, I can see they were probably planning a follow up in some way for Crimson Dawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Here's an unfinished/deleted scene that's pretty cool
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYfX4iS4hxY

Certainly explains how he ended up in the infantry instead of being a pilot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Whats the point of this movie?

Solo/Chewie origin story? Kessel run?

It doesnt really add anything to the Star Wars universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was a decent enough sci-fi film but did not really feel like Star Wars, everything was competently shot and directed but it seemed to lack a soul.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Whats the point of this movie?

media.caspianmedia.comimagebebb1871278dd5feb61f1f331efee500-090860680fa568df35222b99c610cdf2de0c9ad6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well that plan failed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder how the merchandising arm of Disney-Star-Wars has been going since the merger, particularly the stuff related to Solo; given the film itself is now considered a flop, presumably Disney were also relying on the brand being a big seller when it came to all the plastic tat with a 10 euro markup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Anyone know why the cinematography was so dark and unclear? Looked awful.
    Yes, that was my biggest thought during this film. Why so damn dark? Film was average and forgettable, but the muted colour look was really distracting. I watched this on a 55" 4K, the same TV I watched TFA and TLJ on, earlier this year. They looked fine, Solo looked bland and washed out. During the first half of the film there were scenes where I could hardly make out facial expressions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Watched this last night for the first time, despite being a big SW fan this was the first SW movie i'd not watched in the cinema as it just didnt appeal to me the way the main ones or R1 did and I have to wonder if that influenced me before it even began.
    To be frank, this didnt feel like a SW movie to me. It was mildly entertaining (mostly due to Woody Harrelson) but simply lacked any of the charm of the other SW movies. Even though I was being told it was Han, Chewie & Lando I never really got the same chemistry from any of them and they may as well have been anybodys rather than three characters from the OT. I'm pretty confident I'll never watch this again.

A disappointing 6/10 for me. Easily the weakest SW film ever made.

One bit that did make me smile though was the use of the Imperial March as the music on the Empire recruitment booth's advertising for new recruits... nice touch that.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder how the merchandising arm of Disney-Star-Wars has been going since the merger, particularly the stuff related to Solo; given the film itself is now considered a flop, presumably Disney were also relying on the brand being a big seller when it came to all the plastic tat with a 10 euro markup.

Well, I'm no expert, but from talking to some folk it seems that sales of Star Wars toys and stuff is in decline for the most part. There are up-ticks here and there, but a lot of it ends up at clearance too often.

I think the problem is that there is just too much. Nearly every item one can buy has a Star Wars sticker on it (not really, but you know what I mean).

Plus, kids just aren't buying (or wanting) toys any more. It's adults that keep that thing fuelled, with both their enthusiasm and their money. But, with the flop of 'Solo', the interest in the toys seems also to have wavered. I suppose if people don't like, or haven't bothered with the film, they have no connection with the toys it streams off and a lot of old time fans just weren't interested in the film. So, subsequently, they're not interested in buying the merch. Also, when those old time fans drop out, they aren't getting replaced with new fans who'll be in it for a 40 year stint and that red line on the graph starts going down.

'Solo' has been a really eye opener for Disney (or at least should be). Don't piss of your core audience, don't saturate your market and don't milk your cash cow dry too quickly.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Plus, kids just aren't buying (or wanting) toys any more.

Agreed, I can remember even up to the age of 12 buying the figures and things like Transformers. My own kids have stopped wanting this kind of merch far earlier, as they have no real interest in playing with them. Why play alone with action figures when they can join their friends in the seemingly infinite worlds of things like Fortnite or No Man's Sky?

Agreed, I can remember even up to the age of 12 buying the figures and things like Transformers. My own kids have stopped wanting this kind of merch far earlier, as they have no real interest in playing with them. Why play alone with action figures when they can join their friends in the seemingly infinite worlds of things like Fortnite or No Man's Sky?

They don't have to imagine either. It's imagined for them. I remember spending hours making up stories in my head with my "star wars men". :pac: It can't compete with fully realised worlds on a computer monitor though.

It's why they target adults now with action figures. They want the little burst of nostalgia and memory that that little bit of plastic brings and then it sits on a shelf gathering dust for a few years.

There's a line of action figures from Marvel, I read recently, whose main demographic are men in their mid 30's and 40's. That's remarkable, when you think that just 30 years ago, no man would have been caught dead buying a toy...for himself!

Kids, though, just don't know what to do with them in the main. Their interests are in a digital form, almost exclusively these days. Sure, Toys R Us went out of business a few months ago. Think of how crazy that sounds.

I agree, on one hand it's sad to see kids no longer indulging in that kind of imaginative play. On the other hand, as an 80s gamer growing up I would've creamed myself at the kinds of games available now. They're amazing when you think about it. The idea of No Man's Sky, an infinite universe, is mind blowing for me.

I was at Comic Con recently, and that's where all those high end figures are sold. They aren't for playing with as such, more for displaying on a shelf or on a box. Though it would be funny to see a bunch of 40 year olds sitting on the floor playing Star Wars!

I agree, on one hand it's sad to see kids no longer indulging in that kind of imaginative play. On the other hand, as an 80s gamer growing up I would've creamed myself at the kinds of games available now. They're amazing when you think about it. The idea of No Man's Sky, an infinite universe, is mind blowing for me.

Oh, me too. As someone who grew up playing 'Jetpack' or 'Gunfright' on the Speccy and thinking they were brilliant, if I'd seen something like 'Skyrim', or 'Elite: Dangerous', I think my brain would have melted.
    I was at Comic Con recently, and that's where all those high end figures are sold. They aren't for playing with as such, more for displaying on a shelf or on a box. Though it would be funny to see a bunch of 40 year olds sitting on the floor playing Star Wars!

Never been to a con, but I keep an eye on the likes of the Black Series. Don't really know why. There's a definite charm to them though. They're very well designed, I suppose.

My particular vice is model kits. Been making that stuff for decades. Now, there's something most kids would balk at. I gave my nephew a model kit of a tank a while ago and his face dropped when he opened the box and found that he had to, not only put it together, but paint it too.

He politely said thanks, but gave me a look as if to say "Are you fucking serious? You mean I have to actually put it together, what kind of crazy planet are from old man?"

Plus, a WWII panzer meant absolutely nothing to him. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

biggest pile of **** i have seen in a long time ,and a big star wars fan , utter ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Can't help but feel that the awfullness of TFA and TLJ have poisoned the well somewhat when it comes to Star Wars. It's put the fandom in such a negative mindset that everything is S**T and nothing less then perfection is acceptable. Solo was a good, not great movie. Yes, it was a by the numbers telling of a story we knew the broad strokes of , but considering the reaction we all had to them F***ing around with our expectations of what Luke would do or act in TLJ, you'd think 'by the numbers' would be just what the doctor ordered, but nope.

TFA : by the numbers retread of ANH
    Reaction: FFS this is a complete retread of ANH can you please have an original thought Disney .

TLJ : a retread of ESB (imo) with character based rather then plot based curveballs
    Reaction: FFS why is Luke such an arsehole , why isn't Rey a Skywalker, stop subverting expectations for the sake of it and give me what I expected. I don't like surpises.

Solo: entertaining (imo) albeit by the numbers telling of how Solo became the cynical curmudgeon we all know and love.
    Reaction: WHAT ?? I knew all this stuff, why didn't they make Han an Au pair on Kashyyyk to give him an arc and explain why he can talk fluent Wookie. Surprise me FFS.

TFA : by the numbers retread of ANH
    Reaction: FFS this is a complete retread of ANH can you please have an original thought Disney .

You're forgetting:

General public reaction: This is awesome! I love Star Wars! Shut up and take my money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So I was left with a real sour taste in my mouth after the nonsense sjw elements of recent Star Wars movies particularly TLJ... didn’t help that TLJ was absolute bollocks either and Rian Johnson has single handedly destroyed a trilogy and even affected previous Star Wars movies it was so horrendous.

Completely avoided Solo in the cinema, first Star Wars I said I wasn’t giving any money towards. I caught a blue ray copy last night and first impressions is that it’s a decent movie.

The Lando/Droids rights thing was actually fine, like it was different and I didn’t mind it at all, forget the name of the droid but the fact it wasn’t a BB8 or R2D2 clumsily dictating the plot all the time was a super addition.

It didn’t REALLY feel like a Star Wars movie though. Can’t put my finger on it. I’m gonna watch it again at the weekend and give it another go.

High points, the lad who played Han nailed it, Lando, the droid, woody harrelson, even chewie, it was great he wasn’t just there to sell porgs.

Now that I think of it. I enjoyed this.

6.5/10

Watched it for the second time yesterday, first time for the kids (under 12), and they loved it. In fact, one of them said it was his favourite SW movie so far. They have no interest in the originals, too slow and dated I suppose, and they have no interest in seeing the prequels (though I reckon they'll like Phantom Menace). So, "their" Star Wars is Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rogue One, all of which they loved, and now Solo.

It's interesting to see it from that point of view. Mrs eviltimeban also enjoyed it, far more than she thought see would. Everyone is saying it was a failure, and while it didn't do billions (or break even) it grossed a decent amount and I reckon will have second legs on DVD / Bluray.

I enjoyed it the first time, but was a bit meh about it, but I did enjoy very much it the second time. The set pieces were good, and I knew what to expect. AE was more palatable as Han Solo, and the humour was pretty good (would've liked more though).

One thing that struck me was, if they had used contemporary music rather than a score (a la GOTG) it could've been really fun. The score was forgettable. Good, fun music would've made it more of a good, fun movie.

I hope they make a sequel or that we see the new Solo and Chewie in other movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've certainly seen worse films, and some have done a lot better at the box office.

I'd echo the darkness issue. The Kessel run thing was a bit gloomy and there was too much cutting. The asteroid scene they were aping from ESB was a lot smoother. It was nice to hear the music again, at least.

It's not some sort of crime that ruins the continuity or anything. I probably won't watch it again.

It's still not as bad as TPM or AOTC. Or probably even ROTS.

It probably could've been a bit better had it not been a cluster **** of production, and it certainly would've made more money, but the main thing that's wrong with it, was what was wrong from the start - some stories are better left as a mystery. They can only get worse when you fill in the blanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement