Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal for a Generous New Grant for First Time Buyers

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I would imagine land cost is one of the biggest variants?

i'd of thought so also but i was using the rebuild part of the calculator
    rebuilding ignores the cost of the site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Tigger wrote: »
    cxan anyone explain why a dublin build is soo much dearer as it would seem to me that the construction industry want much more money to build in areas that they know the houses cost more in.
    in other words if you know an equivatlent built house is worth 330 then it costs 330 to build but if they going rate for a house is 220 then it only costs 220 to build
    cant see any other reason

Land costs, access difficulties, labour costs are higher in Dublin, professional fees are higher, waste disposal costs are higher to name but a few of the factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I was in a new build last weekend in a development beside an access road to other estates the area. Constant but light traffic with no loud exhaust just normal road noise, and the triple glazed windows had zero impact on the road noise whether open or closed.

My point?
    Minister Coveney wants homes built to a lower price, just like eu wanted cars with lower co2.
    Well the realities may not reflect the ambition.
    Just like these 'triple' glazed windows.

Time to get building inspection in before we have a Diesel-gate for homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I was in a new build last weekend in a development beside an access road to other estates the area. Constant but light traffic with no loud exhaust just normal road noise, and the triple glazed windows had zero impact on the road noise whether open or closed.

My point?
    Minister Coveney wants homes built to a lower price, just like eu wanted cars with lower co2.

You are correct - and I will add that from my experience even without those low price targets we already have a "diesel-gate" on our hand with all the properties built in the early 2000s, even though they were actually sold for very high prices. Places like Longboat Quay and Priory Hall are just the tip of the iceberg. I would expect a few other cases emerging related to critical safety concerns, but on top of that you also have many smaller defects everywhere which don't make it to the media but still are very real concerns for occupiers (water infiltrations, poor ventilation and mould issues, poor soundproofing, poor heat insolation, etc).

So proper inspections and sanctions for developers found in breach are indeed probably much more needed than stricter regulations, as if no-one is making sure those regulations are enforced they don't seem very usefull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

There are zer0 0 no new build houses/apartments on the island of Ireland available under 200k.

Wrong. A few near where I am going for 175k.

• Advertisement

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Wrong. A few near where I am going for 175k.

Out of curiosity can you post a link so that we know what kind of location and properties we are talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

Bob24 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity can you post a link so that we know what kind of location and properties we are talking about?

Finglas seems to have reasonably priced new developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

My point?

THIS!!!I have been in multiple apartments, the last one was the straw that broke the camels back! It is a newish development, already shut down for 2 years for fire defects! Anyway, the bedrooms backed out onto the Dundrum bypass, the noise was so bad, not just from the traffic, but from the **** build quality, noise from other tenants, we broke the lease and moved out!

I am tired from hearing from these fools who have never lived in apartments about light and minimum sizes and NOTHING, NOTHING about noise which is the reason I will never move back into one!

We now have the short term airbnb letting etc in apartment blocks! Another poster started a thread about this issue recently, he has a short term let in the apartment above and below him, making his life a misery!

Apartments are the solution to a large part of the housing crisis, but the noise issue for me, more than any other, is the reason I wont be touching one!

In terms of noise, you can have triple glazed window, but the window is only as good as its weakest point, if the seals are useless, noise will get in! Pumps is the other thing I cant stand in apartments! Endless, relentless!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    THIS!!!I have been in multiple apartments, the last one was the straw that broke the camels back! It is a newish development, already shut down for 2 years for fire defects! Anyway, the bedrooms backed out onto the Dundrum bypass, the noise was so bad, not just from the traffic, but from the **** build quality, noise from other tenants, we broke the lease and moved out!

I am tired from hearing from these fools who have never lived in apartments about light and minimum sizes and NOTHING, NOTHING about noise which is the reason I will never move back into one!

We now have the short term airbnb letting etc in apartment blocks! Another poster started a thread about this issue recently, he has a short term let in the apartment above and below him, making his life a misery!

Apartments are the solution to a large part of the housing crisis, but the noise issue for me, more than any other, is the reason I wont be touching one!

In terms of noise, you can have triple glazed window, but the window is only as good as its weakest point, if the seals are useless, noise will get in! Pumps is the other thing I cant stand in apartments! Endless, relentless!

One problem in appartements in Ireland also is the very poor quality of entrance doors. Basically builders put something which is barely better than the doors between rooms within the apartment. This means you can hear all the noise from the public corridor and possibly the apartment across, poor heat insulation, and very easy to break into.

I guess you can change it if you want, but an adequate door should be there by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Idbatterim wrote: »

This describes my current apartment to a T... as I sit here now I can hear the neighbours upstairs blowing their nose, talking (normally I might add), water running down interior pipes etc - and as my sitting room is right next to the entrance door I hear every coming and going, people opening their mailboxes etc.

Then there's the water pump.. so loud I can't in good conscience have a shower or even flush a toilet after 11pm

Add on the way the thing is built and the hallway to the bedrooms is in almost constant darkness as there's no natural light unless you leave the other room doors open

I've genuinely never experienced anything like it - If it wasn't cheap and convenient to the motorway for the daily commute I'd already be gone, but I'll be damned if I'll be paying any more when the lease come up for renewal next year.. I'll be moving either way instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This describes my current apartment to a T... as I sit here now I can hear the neighbours upstairs blowing their nose, talking (normally I might add), water running down interior pipes etc - and as my sitting room is right next to the entrance door I hear every coming and going, people opening their mailboxes etc.

Then there's the water pump.. so loud I can't in good conscience have a shower or even flush a toilet after 11pm

Add on the way the thing is built and the hallway to the bedrooms is in almost constant darkness as there's no natural light unless you leave the other room doors open

I've genuinely never experienced anything like it - If it wasn't cheap and convenient to the motorway for the daily commute I'd already be gone, but I'll be damned if I'll be paying any more when the lease come up for renewal next year.. I'll be moving either way instead.

Its not only apartments that have noise from the neighbours. Terraced and Semi Ds are terrible for it.
    If you want to avoid noise from the neighbors then got for either a detatched or a semi D with good old fashioned stone walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭atech

Ah so only new homes then?

Bailout for the developers by the backdoor. Excellent.

Also, loving the way they are not publicising that fact so that people can think any house will net them a bonus.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/incentive-payments-for-first-time-buyer-will-apply-for-new-builds-only-411505.html

If the incentive is to increase the supply of new builds as the above article stated and the effective date any grants/rebates will apply be from July 19th then wouldn't I be correct in assuming that this would only benefit any developments that submit commencement notices from that date forward?

Or do people think this will apply to any house that becomes liable under the revenue's LPT website from that date. (i.e. currently unsold and unfinished houses would therefore be included too).

As far as I am aware there is no other statutory way of determining what the definition of a new house actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

Morning
    Can someone explain to me how if the grant is 3k, its worth 30k as some other posters have said? Just not getting this part?!?!

mel123 wrote: »
    Morning
    Can someone explain to me how if the grant is 3k, its worth 30k as some other posters have said? Just not getting this part?!?!

It could be an extra 30k of purchasing power for some buyers if it is a cash grant and can be used to top-up a mortgage deposit. It would not be a gift of 30k though, just leverage to borrow more.

See my explanation of the 30k figure here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100397458&postcount=77

We can't tell fro sure though as it is not clear how much the grant will be and how it will be given (if it is a tax credit following the purchase for example, it is unlikely it can be leveraged as a mortgage deposit).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

Bob24 wrote: »
    It could be an extra 30k of purchasing power for some buyers if it is a cash grant and can be used to top-up a mortgage deposit. It would not be a gift of 30k though, just leverage to borrow more.

See my explanation of the 30k figure here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100397458&postcount=77

We can't tell fro sure though as it is not clear how much the grant will be and how it will be given (if it is a tax credit following the purchase for example, it is unlikely it can be leveraged as a mortgage deposit).

Ah thanks Bob24, the part i missed was 'IF IT WAS A CASH GRANT' scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dzwx

If the grant will apply only for a new build houses it actually might bring the prices down a bit. That's of course when they will start build promised affordable houses.

A brand new A rated house in affordable price(250k) in good location plus a grant vs 15years old C-D rated house in need of some work for +300k, no brainer

Second hand owners will be forced to lower the price in order to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dzwx wrote: »
    If the grant will apply only for a new build houses it actually might bring the prices down a bit. That's of course when they will start build promised affordable houses.

A brand new A rated house in affordable price(250k) in good location plus a grant vs 15years old C-D rated house in need of some work for +300k, no brainer

In this utopia you envisage supply coming on line when ?

So far we are told only 450 houses by 2019-2020. Thats incredibly low output.

Agree that only applying it to new builds is a good (or less bad) idea.

I wouldn't hold my breath in terms of seeing 250k new builds in areas were equivalent second hand properties are now going for 300k+ though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dzwx

listermint wrote: »
    In this utopia you envisage supply coming on line when ?

So far we are told only 450 houses by 2019-2020. Thats incredibly low output.

Can't reach that rebuilding Ireland page with plan now but I'm pretty sure it was way more then 450, could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can't reach that rebuilding Ireland page with plan now but I'm pretty sure it was way more then 450, could be wrong though

It wasnt. 100 Million for 450 homes was agreed with LA's Tuesday. and it that timescale which is head scratching to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

listermint wrote: »
    It wasnt. 100 Million for 450 homes was agreed with LA's Tuesday. and it that timescale which is head scratching to say the least.

Potentially because there are a lot of influential people financially benefiting from the current crisis (lots of TDs are landlords - here's an article from last year on the topic - and there's the multinational funds that are making a killing on the current rent prices), and as such it's no harm to drag out any relief measures as long as possible.

If there was real political will to address the problem 450 houses could probably be knocked out in a month or two.

Advertisement