Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aberdeen

Options
  • 18-07-2016 11:24am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm an Irish person who has been living in Aberdeen for 3 years. If anyone needs a little advice on the city I will be happy to answer any questions I can. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My dual Irish/UK citizen husband and I (an American citizen) want to move to Aberdeen because of my job (I am currently the sole employee of the Irish subsidiary of a UK IT company, and the owner wants us all to eventually move to Aberdeen because he has property there). I've previously held a 12-month Type 2 visa with my previous oil-industry employer for training in Aberdeen. Any tips, especially for making the visa process easier given that my husband doesn't currently live or work in the UK, would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Speedwell wrote: »
    My dual Irish/UK citizen husband and I (an American citizen) want to move to Aberdeen because of my job (I am currently the sole employee of the Irish subsidiary of a UK IT company, and the owner wants us all to eventually move to Aberdeen because he has property there). I've previously held a 12-month Type 2 visa with my previous oil-industry employer for training in Aberdeen. Any tips, especially for making the visa process easier given that my husband doesn't currently live or work in the UK, would be appreciated.

The visa aspect will be UK-wide, and based on what I've heard from British friends with non-EU spouses, one of the issues you most likely will face will be proving that you meet the "independent means" criteria, which may include proving you have something like £35K sitting in a bank!

One thing I would mention that I've heard from a friend in relation to Aberdeen is that the cost of living (primarily rent) can be ridiculous given the size of the place, because the oil industry places significant demand on property. So it is worth pushing for relocation funding if your employer wants you to move, along with a contribution towards the higher rent you'll be paying compared to most other parts of Scotland for equivalent property.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Speedwell wrote: »

I'm afraid as an EU citizen I have automatic residency here so I have no experience with visa issues. :(

However I know a lot of ex-pat couples here where one partner is an EU citizen and they've experienced relatively few visa issues, apart from the large annual renewal cost. If your husband is a UK citizen and you wish to stay here long term, you may be able to naturalize.

Regarding the comments above about accommodation, rents have decreased by about 30% since I moved here, due to the downturn in the oil industry. However I would suggest lowering your expectations as accommodation is not great here in general. I rent a good 2 bedroom flat in a poor area with no amenities (although it is only about 40 minutes walk to the city centre) and it sets us back £700 per month (this is slightly over the odds right now, but I don't want to move as landlords are notoriously bad here and I have an excellent, attentive landlord). However for this we have no balcony, no garden and no fireplace (things I considered basics in a rental in Ireland), and we pay council tax at the rate of about £125 per month, as well as the usual bills.

I strongly advise a week's visit to Aberdeen before committing to move here. It is an ugly city with few resources and little culture - unlike Glasgow, Edinburgh and even Dundee and St Andrews. However, Americans do seem to like it here and you would have no shortage of American friends. Making friends with the locals is extremely difficult, so apart from one colleague and one neighbour, all my friends here are ex-pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I'm afraid as an EU citizen I have automatic residency here so I have no experience with visa issues. :(

However I know a lot of ex-pat couples here where one partner is an EU citizen and they've experienced relatively few visa issues, apart from the large annual renewal cost. If your husband is a UK citizen and you wish to stay here long term, you may be able to naturalize.

Regarding the comments above about accommodation, rents have decreased by about 30% since I moved here, due to the downturn in the oil industry. However I would suggest lowering your expectations as accommodation is not great here in general. I rent a good 2 bedroom flat in a poor area with no amenities (although it is only about 40 minutes walk to the city centre) and it sets us back £700 per month (this is slightly over the odds right now, but I don't want to move as landlords are notoriously bad here and I have an excellent, attentive landlord). However for this we have no balcony, no garden and no fireplace (things I considered basics in a rental in Ireland), and we pay council tax at the rate of about £125 per month, as well as the usual bills.

I strongly advise a week's visit to Aberdeen before committing to move here. It is an ugly city with few resources and little culture - unlike Glasgow, Edinburgh and even Dundee and St Andrews. However, Americans do seem to like it here and you would have no shortage of American friends. Making friends with the locals is extremely difficult, so apart from one colleague and one neighbour, all my friends here are ex-pats.

It's also very, very cold and dark, even for Scotland! The weather up there actually feels quite Scandinavian which makes sense I suppose considering it's jsut across the water from Norway.

It is, although in summer there's daylight from about 4am till 11pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I'm an Irish person who has been living in Aberdeen for 3 years. If anyone needs a little advice on the city I will be happy to answer any questions I can. :)

Been living here for 5 years myself, can weigh in on any advice if necessary... Lucky enough to still have a job during the downturn!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Hi all. Thinking about making the move to Aberdeen at the start of next year. What's the story on visa with the whole brexit thing. Would be looking for a job in construction. What's work like at the min and what roughly is the wage per week for a digger driver or block layer/general builder. Rent seems to be expensive going by few threads here. Thanks.

Dupont wrote: »
    Hi all. Thinking about making the move to Aberdeen at the start of next year. What's the story on visa with the whole brexit thing. Would be looking for a job in construction. What's work like at the min and what roughly is the wage per week for a digger driver or block layer/general builder. Rent seems to be expensive going by few threads here. Thanks.

No visa, will never be a need for a visa even if brexit does go ahead. It might take a little while for you to set up a back account and national insurance number - few weeks max.

Jobs can be scarce in around Aberdeen as the main industry is oil and gas, and a lot of people lost their jobs when the price crashed. There seems to be quite a few construction jobs going on however - new bypass currently being built and they got the go ahead for a new football stadium and harbour extension, houses still popping up also.

Rent has dropped a little bit due to the oil price crash. I share a flat with one other person, about £480 each, including bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Can you recommend any decent economically priced hotels close to the 50m swimming pool?

Google is your friend there! I live on the opposite side of town. But if you're that stuck, I'll give you a lift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    Google is your friend there! I live on the opposite side of town. But if you're that stuck, I'll give you a lift.

Thanks for that. Is Aberdeen big? How would it compare to Dublin in size?

Freddio wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Is Aberdeen big? How would it compare to Dublin in size?

Nah its not as big as Dublin at all. There's no 'Luas' type tram thing, only a bus system and you can pretty much walk to where you need to go once you're in the centre of town.

For a small city its a decent place to work, lots of international companies - mostly oil and gas. Or study, two good universities and a decent college. I probably won't be spending my life here tho... I've never been sunburnt in 5 years :(

I studied in Aberdeen for 4 years. I had a great time although I couldn't live there permanently.

Freddio wrote: »
    Can you recommend any decent economically priced hotels close to the 50m swimming pool?

You won't get an economical hotel in Aberdeen. B&B is your best bet. I suggest getting a B&B on King Street, a short walk from the sports village. I recommend the Jays Guesthouse.

Dupont wrote: »

Rent has dropped a lot. You can get a 1 bed apt for£450/500 now, a 2 bed for £600.

Come for a weekend and check it out. It's a bleak place. You need to know what you're getting into!

Check out the employment agencies and job sites for construction work. It won't be as well paid as Ireland but will probably be more consistent. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Rent has dropped a lot. You can get a 1 bed apt for£450/500 now, a 2 bed for £600.

Come for a weekend and check it out. It's a bleak place. You need to know what you're getting into!

Check out the employment agencies and job sites for construction work. It won't be as well paid as Ireland but will probably be more consistent. Good luck!

I was over last weekend haha. My girlfriend has moved over she's in Robert Gordon uni but in student accommodation.
    Would a construction worker take home £600 with them?

I'm afraid i don't know. Do you mean per week? I don't know anyone in my circle earning close to that much here. You can earn serious money here if you're working in the oil industry but otherwise not. I'm doing admin here because I can't use my profession in the UK, and I earn a lot less than I did in Ireland, 21k, despite many years experience, postgraduate degrees etc. The pay is just not that good here and the cost of living is high. Skilled professionals, nurses and occupational therapists, teachers etc. earn around the same me. I'd advise ringing some recruitment agencies to ask about construction salaries. I'm certain the guys doing construction for the council etc are not on high wages, but contracts for oil companies could bring in the big bucks.

Agree with Mystery Egg. I think the average labourer wage is about £10-12 per hour, don't quote me on that one. I work in education, £28k. But the type of courses I teach are specific to oil and gas so if I lost this job it's unlikely I'd find a similar one anywhere else except Aberdeen. My ex girlfriend is a drilling engineer, she's on about £45k - not bad for a 26 year old!

I can't use my profession in the UK,

Being a nosy gimp, what were you working as that you can't do over here, and what made you choose Aberdeen?

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    I can't use my profession in the UK,

Being a nosy gimp, what were you working as that you can't do over here, and what made you choose Aberdeen?

I don't want to say! We came to Aberdeen because my other half was doing a PhD and Aberdeen is where the person he wanted to work with was based. We would have moved wherever that advisor was living. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

hi all

It looks like in the next couple of months ill be relocating to Aberdeen.

Ill be working at the airport and will be doing irregular shifts.

Looking for any tips on areas to rent in easy commuting distance, cant be any more than 20 minutes at any time of the day.

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bluejay01

hi all

It looks like in the next couple of months ill be relocating to Aberdeen.

Ill be working at the airport and will be doing irregular shifts.

Looking for any tips on areas to rent in easy commuting distance, cant be any more than 20 minutes at any time of the day.

thanks in advance.
    I would suggest looking at Dyce, Bucksburn, Kingswell/Westhill or in the Bridge of Don.

bluejay01 wrote: »
    I would suggest looking at Dyce, Bucksburn, Kingswell/Westhill or in the Bridge of Don.

cheers for the reply, ill have a look in those areas.

looking forward to the move as ive always enjoyed visiting Scotland

cheers for the reply, ill have a look in those areas.

looking forward to the move as ive always enjoyed visiting Scotland
    No worries, the airport is surrounded by a large industrial area, so traffic at the morning and evening commute can be slow but outwith those times you'll be fine. 
    Aberdeen is a similar size to Cork City, enough going on to keep you occupied but a bleak place to live(weather and daylight) at this time of year

No worries, the airport is surrounded by a large industrial area, so traffic at the morning and evening commute can be slow but outwith those times you'll be fine. 
    Aberdeen is a similar size to Cork City, enough going on to keep you occupied but a bleak place to live(weather and daylight) at this time of year

The shift patterns will be unsociable so ill be used to not seeing the sun :D

from what i can find £100 per week for a apartment share with bills included seems to be the going rate

The shift patterns will be unsociable so ill be used to not seeing the sun :D

from what i can find £100 per week for a apartment share with bills included seems to be the going rate
    Sorry, can't help you with the going rate for an apartment share, I left Aberdeen in 1998!

Dyce is the most convenient location for the airport for sure.

£100 a week in shared accommodation will definitely be possible, you could go as low as £75 currently as there are tons of vacant flats right now. If you'd like your own place you'll negotiate a 1 bed for£450. Try Citylets and Gumtree to find a place. Good luck!

Dyce is the most convenient location for the airport for sure.

£100 a week in shared accommodation will definitely be possible, you could go as low as £75 currently as there are tons of vacant flats right now. If you'd like your own place you'll negotiate a 1 bed for£450. Try Citylets and Gumtree to find a place. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply , if i can get a 1 bed for that price I'll be all over it. Never house shared before so would much prefer that.
    Cheers I'll start looking on those sites today

Thanks for the reply , if i can get a 1 bed for that price I'll be all over it. Never house shared before so would much prefer that.
    Cheers I'll start looking on those sites today

If you find a place you like for £500, offer them £450. It is a renter's market just now.

Are you planning to drive or use public transport? It is a small city so if you are driving you can live anywhere with easy access to the airport in under half an hour. I live in AB24 and it's 15 minutes drive to the airport from here. It would be longer on public transport but not hugely.

Don't live in Torry or Altens though, as you will have to cross a traffic clogged bridge that can take a very, very long time.

• Advertisement

If you find a place you like for £500, offer them £450. It is a renter's market just now.

Are you planning to drive or use public transport? It is a small city so if you are driving you can live anywhere with easy access to the airport in under half an hour. I live in AB24 and it's 15 minutes drive to the airport from here. It would be longer on public transport but not hugely.

Don't live in Torry or Altens though, as you will have to cross a traffic clogged bridge that can take a very, very long time.

Perfect thanks, i will bring my car over as there is a VRT rebate on it which makes it more cost effective than selling it and buying again when i arrive.

Due to the early/late starts + standby shifts i would like to be 15 minutes tops from the airport to cut down on commuting times.

Great advice about Torry/Altens, knowing my luck i would have ended up living there:pac:

Advertisement