Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Query

Options
  • 18-07-2016 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I've just moved into a house share, where the rent is due on the 1st of the month. I moved in on the 16th, and paid a full month's rent for the deposit. I have not yet met the landlady, signed the contract or received a rent book ..

My housemates paid the rent for this month in full, but since I only moved in on the 16th, surely I should only pay the amount from move in ? I shouldn't pay for a time I wasn't actually living in the house, should I ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Hi, I've just moved into a house share, where the rent is due on the 1st of the month. I moved in on the 16th, and paid a full month's rent for the deposit. I have not yet met the landlady, signed the contract or received a rent book ..

My housemates paid the rent for this month in full, but since I only moved in on the 16th, surely I should only pay the amount from move in ? I shouldn't pay for a time I wasn't actually living in the house, should I ?

Where you not asked to pay a months rent in advance and a months rent as a the deposit example if the rent is 500 pm you would have given 1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

I would assume you pay from the 16th - end of month = 2 weeks rent + a full month deposit. Then from the 1st of of next month pay the full months rent. A few questions that would help with your issue.

Are you paying directly into Landlords bank account ? ( ask to speak to landlord directly to get their details and then bring up the contract/rent book etc )

Are you paying it to the head tenant, who then pays the landlord ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Roqueandrolle.

I would assume you pay from the 16th - end of month = 2 weeks rent + a full month deposit. Then from the 1st of of next month pay the full months rent. A few questions that would help with your issue.

Are you paying directly into Landlords bank account ? ( ask to speak to landlord directly to get their details and then bring up the contract/rent book etc )

Are you paying it to the head tenant, who then pays the landlord ?

That was what I was thinking ..

I haven't actually met the landlord yet, I've text her to arrange a rent book but no response as of yet. I'm hoping that there's nothing dodgy is going on, in case they're subletting to me without her knowing, that would make me very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Check n the PRTB website if the house is registered. http://www.prtb.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Roqueandrolle.

Check n the PRTB website if the house is registered.

Thanks, did that and it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement