Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catio / Cat Enclosures does anyone have them

• 18-07-2016 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

As someone who owns multiple cats 8 in total with a few fosters from time to time I can have up to 12 cats in my home at one time so in order to sort a space issue I had a catio / cat enclosure built in January it attaches onto the back of the house and a window opens into it, its very large and you could keep dogs in it the cats love it and it gives them extra space so that they are not in the house all the time, 5 of my cats go out anyway so its just the others that hang around some are special needs and others just dont like going out.

It's a fairly new idea I think in Ireland but alot do it in the US, I was just wondering on people's thought on it would they ever get one?
    I cant upload pix here of mine for some reason as its asking for a URL and I just have them saved to my PC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

We rent, so it is impossible for us to install a permanent solution, but I know people who have both cat enclosures and areas fenced with the top of the fence bending back into the area so the cats can't climb over them. Someone else took lengths of 4-inch (or was it 6-inch) PVC plumbing pipe and cut a slit in them to fit down over the top of their fences; the cats can't get any purchase on them. We might do that since it's a removable solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Boomerang on here has one, not sure how much she comes on here anymore, so maybe send her a PM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

I would have one if I was living somewhere where it is not safe for the cats to go out. As I am living in a very rural location with just a few cars daily (and the cats hear them well before we do, they even know the sound of our car!) I luckily have no need.
    BTW, to post pictures you can upload them to a site and then use the link it gives you (I use Tiny Pic, no reg needed, and just choose Notice Boards format/size before you upload)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

We're planning one. One of our rooms upstairs (which will be my study/ spare bedroom) has windows that open onto our flat roof extension. We just got it re-felted so I'm planning to built a very lightweight "cage" out of some wood and chicken wire so Shade can have the whole roof to herself for sunbathing & fresh air. With her one-eyed stature she can't be let out, and I feel awful that she can't get out in the fresh air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

morgana wrote: »
    I would have one if I was living somewhere where it is not safe for the cats to go out. As I am living in a very rural location with just a few cars daily (and the cats hear them well before we do, they even know the sound of our car!) I luckily have no need.
    BTW, to post pictures you can upload them to a site and then use the link it gives you (I use Tiny Pic, no reg needed, and just choose Notice Boards format/size before you upload)

Thanks alot...

My one comes apart too the guy who built it and designed it made it like a jigsaw so it comes apart in sections, we rent also and live beside a very busy road and two of my cats were killed in 2014 and one lost his tail as he was hit by a car costing me 1K in the vets so we had this built the landlady knows we have cats and is okay with it once most are out and anyway we keep the place spotless plus its not a permanent fixture it does not damage any part of the building we were very careful about that but we are trying to buy a house at the moment or working towards that so I will take it with me.

A friend husband made it for me for 550 that was all labour which was 3 days and materials but he said that normally it would have been 850 but I think its money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Check out the facebook group 'Cat Gardens, Enclosures Uk' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I'd love a small one for my balcony. The cats love the fresh air but being in an upstairs apartment in the city centre I don't feel I can give them anything more than comes through a slightly cracked open window.

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I'd love a small one for my balcony. The cats love the fresh air but being in an upstairs apartment in the city centre I don't feel I can give them anything more than comes through a slightly cracked open window.

When I lived in my apartment I wanted to get something put on the balcony but management company said no because it faced out onto a public area and therefore would change the whole look of the outside of the building so instead I brought my cat down to my parents house every two or three days and she would roam in the garden down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

We have had one the last few years. It's about 30ft x 40ft. Has a deck for us, a wild area for the cats, some.fruit trees. This year we are hoping to add to the inside of it with ladders etc. Will find some pics.

Here are some oldies. The back wall is now a wild area with bay leaf trees and bamboo. On the left is pear trees. On the right there is an "airlock". Means we can access the outdoor tap without being in the enclosure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I spy a very handsome looking snowshoe :D (and the others too of course!)
    Do you have to treat the wood often or does it seem to wear from cats claws etc? Looking into building something like this

Do you have to treat the wood often or does it seem to wear from cats claws etc? Looking into building something like this

We haven't treated i since we put it in.
    We used to have sisal rope on some.of the beams but weather etc destroyed them. One beam is being used as a scratcher and we hope to do something about it this yr.

A black silver tabby bsh. A white bsh and a coon. :-)
    Our rescues don't spend much time.outside.

We haven't treated i since we put it in.
    We used to have sisal rope on some.of the beams but weather etc destroyed them. One beam is being used as a scratcher and we hope to do something about it this yr.

That's a great one it's huge, did your neighbors not complain when you had that constructed or did they not mind, I am hoping when I move to extend my one and ad like a sleeping area for them enclosed in and maybe more area to roam.

The timber on mine was treated by the bloke who built it but he did tell me to treat a couple of supporting planks which I havent done to date but will get it sorted.

Angel2016 wrote: »
    That's a great one it's huge, did your neighbors not complain when you had that constructed or did they not mind, I am hoping when I move to extend my one and ad like a sleeping area for them enclosed in and maybe more area to roam.

The timber on mine was treated by the bloke who built it but he did tell me to treat a couple of supporting planks which I havent done to date but will get it sorted.

We explained to the neighbours what it is for and how high it would go. They were fine with it as most of them don't like cats so were happy that the cats would be confined on our property.

We explained to the neighbours what it is for and how high it would go. They were fine with it as most of them don't like cats so were happy that the cats would be confined on our property.

That's good its an option for us when we move as I have 8 cats, 3 indoor who chose not to go out and 5 ones that come and go and love being out.
    Luckily at present I live on a road with all older or retired people so they dont mind, plus I neutered all bar 2 stray cats on the road so no new babies have appeared in 2 years.

That's good its an option for us when we move as I have 8 cats, 3 indoor who chose not to go out and 5 ones that come and go and love being out.
    Luckily at present I live on a road with all older or retired people so they dont mind, plus I neutered all bar 2 stray cats on the road so no new babies have appeared in 2 years.

We have 9. We had 10 when we built it. I think the neighbours thought we were nuts but when they thought about it they were delighted. Lol

We have 9. We had 10 when we built it. I think the neighbours thought we were nuts but when they thought about it they were delighted. Lol

That's an idea for me now because I was really anxious about moving home with all my gang as some people just hate cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I just bought all the wood to build a catio like this one http://hk5h1jrb20jxth2s0b2jfj.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Catio_DIY_Catio_Plan_SANCTUARY_-8x10_CatioSpaces.com_FB.jpg

and I just thought, would I need planning permission for it? It's going at the side of our house, off the patio doors we have in the kitchen. We are a detached house and the next house on that side is about 30 foot away. It will be quite far back from the road and obviously won't be higher than the house. We are actually only making 1 wall and the roof sections as the rest will be enclosed by our house, the fence and the garage.

To be honest, the neighbour on that side probably wouldn't be able to even see it from her house as there is a fence along the boundary and it won't be higher than the fence.

Will obviously post pics when we are done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭chsdeddijj

As someone who owns multiple cats 8 in total with a few fosters from time to time I can have up to 12 cats in my home at one time so in order to sort a space issue I had a catio / cat enclosure built in January it attaches onto the back of the house and a window opens into it, its very large and you could keep dogs in it the cats love it and it gives them extra space so that they are not in the house all the time, 5 of my cats go out anyway so its just the others that hang around some are special needs and others just dont like going out.

It's a fairly new idea I think in Ireland but alot do it in the US, I was just wondering on people's thought on it would they ever get one?
    I cant upload pix here of mine for some reason as its asking for a URL and I just have them saved to my PC.
    I am looking for exactly the same for my cats. Who did you get to build it for you?
    Did you build it yourself or did you get someone to build it for you?
    I can't find anyone to build me one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mod note:Just be aware that the OP of this thread has closed their account, and has not posted for almost 2 years.

We're planning one. One of our rooms upstairs (which will be my study/ spare bedroom) has windows that open onto our flat roof extension. We just got it re-felted so I'm planning to built a very lightweight "cage" out of some wood and chicken wire so Shade can have the whole roof to herself for sunbathing & fresh air. With her one-eyed stature she can't be let out, and I feel awful that she can't get out in the fresh air.
    I was also going to use chicken wire but not anymore as I was told that cats can hurt themselves on chicken wire.

morgana wrote: »

Thanks alot...

My one comes apart too the guy who built it and designed it made it like a jigsaw so it comes apart in sections, we rent also and live beside a very busy road and two of my cats were killed in 2014 and one lost his tail as he was hit by a car costing me 1K in the vets so we had this built the landlady knows we have cats and is okay with it once most are out and anyway we keep the place spotless plus its not a permanent fixture it does not damage any part of the building we were very careful about that but we are trying to buy a house at the moment or working towards that so I will take it with me.

A friend husband made it for me for 550 that was all labour which was 3 days and materials but he said that normally it would have been 850 but I think its money well spent.
    I would be really interested in getting the same. The idea that it's built to come apart really appeals to me. Could you give me the contact details of the guy who built it for you.

I just bought all the wood to build a catio like this one http://hk5h1jrb20jxth2s0b2jfj.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Catio_DIY_Catio_Plan_SANCTUARY_-8x10_CatioSpaces.com_FB.jpg

and I just thought, would I need planning permission for it? It's going at the side of our house, off the patio doors we have in the kitchen. We are a detached house and the next house on that side is about 30 foot away. It will be quite far back from the road and obviously won't be higher than the house. We are actually only making 1 wall and the roof sections as the rest will be enclosed by our house, the fence and the garage.

To be honest, the neighbour on that side probably wouldn't be able to even see it from her house as there is a fence along the boundary and it won't be higher than the fence.

Yes that looks like something I would be looking to have built. What kind of wiring did you use?

Hi angle. Can you give me the contact details of the person who built it for you? I'd prefer someone to be recommended,as I'm worried about paying money out to someone I don't know and not getting a good job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Catlady76

I had one built here in Dublin for 800 it was about the size of a small dining room but have 13 cats and just moved back home for a few months while I house hunt so needed somewhere for my cats to go so built one up North triple the size for £900 it sleeps 10 cats comfortably and i can put litter trays and a sofa in there so all seem okay for the time being. Same one down south cost 2500

chsdeddijj wrote: »

Yes that looks like something I would be looking to have built. What kind of wiring did you use?
    Hi loveisdevine. Could build same for me?
    Still looking frantically!

• Advertisement

I'm still looking for someone who can build me a catio/enclosure! It's great that so many of you have found someone to build you one and it especially great for your cats. My cats however haven't been so lucky:(
    We are all very sad about this especially now that we are having great weather... Can anyone of you please pass on details of the people you got to build your cat enclosure's. Other information doesn't really help. Thanks.

Could you pass on details of who built yours?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

Person I know had one built by slaneyside kennels earlier in the year, holds about 15 cats who weren't able to be re-homed for various reasons but are friendly to one another. They did a great job from all accounts but were pricey (it was a very large enclosure though). sorry I have no pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Klaudia.

Hi cat owners and lovers

How did you all receive planning permission for your catios? Especially one on the flat roof extension? (As there is no exempt for construction on a flat roof). We're based in Dublin and we're experiencing a lot of legal hassle to build one for our cats.

The council is not giving us an answer to what kind of design would be acceptable. Therefore, I'm trying to find myself what other cats owner got approval to create.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Klaudia. wrote: »
    Hi cat owners and lovers

How did you all receive planning permission for your catios? Especially one on the flat roof extension? (As there is no exempt for construction on a flat roof). We're based in Dublin and we're experiencing a lot of legal hassle to build one for our cats.
    I doubt they applied...

I wouldn't hold your breath over getting permission tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Hmm. We built a catio in 2019 but didn't get planning application for it as I assumed it was a permitted development (I'm in NI by the way so it may not be the same in the south). It's in effect a shed so I can't imagine why it would require planning permission.

Having checked The Planning (General Permitted Development) Order (Northern Ireland) 2015, I would believe it would fall under a Class D permitted development:
    "The provision within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse of any building or enclosure, swimming or other pool required for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse, or the maintenance, improvement or other alteration to such a building or enclosure."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I've checked with my friend who works in the planning department here and her response was this:
    "With regard planning, if it's affixed to the house its considered an extension. So, for an extension to the rear it can’t be more than 2.5m in height or 3 metres in length (length being from the rear wall of your house down the garden!). If it is smaller than this, it is a permitted development and does not require planning approval."

Obviously again this is from a NI point of view so may not be applicable at all in your situation. Have you checked that an application is actually required? Although I see that you've mentioned a flat roof. Are you building the catio on top of an existing flat roof?

Advertisement