Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Endurace CF - question about saddle height

Options
  • 18-07-2016 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

The Endurace (non SLX) Medium sized frame seems like a perfect fit for me, except for one thing: the minimum-saddle-height.
    Specs are a minimum of 74.5cm, while the Maximum I can ride is 73.5cm.
    I assume its measured from the bottom bracket, along the seat tube, up to the top of the seat.

I really don't want to go with the Small frame, and was wondering whether someone who owns an Endurace, can check whether the seat can (in practice) be inserted a bit deeper reaching a slightly lower minimum height.

Thanks!
    Adiror

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

adiror wrote: »
    Hi,

The Endurace (non SLX) Medium sized frame seems like a perfect fit for me, except for one thing: the minimum-saddle-height.
    I assume its measured from the bottom bracket, along the seat tube, up to the top of the seat.

I really don't want to go with the Small frame, and was wondering whether someone who owns an Endurace, can check whether the seat can (in practice) be inserted a bit deeper reaching a slightly lower minimum height.

Thanks!
    Adiror
    Which model are you looking at? If you are looking at one of the ones with the split/leaf spring seat post, then the limitation is likely the fact that the seat post has a max insertion point, as well as a minimum, whereas most just have a minimum insertion point. To be honest I'm not sure the repercussions of "over-inserting" the seatpost, but would imagine the damping would end up being less effective at the very least. FWIW I have the XL frame (I'm about 191 cm tall) and have plenty of seatpost exposed, so are you 100% on the other aspects of the size being ok? Also worth considering that if you're looking at one with a solid seatpost, I'd expect less of an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 9 adiror

Thanks for the info. Yes I'm looking at one with the leaf spring seat post, and all other M sizing are fine for me.
    I noticed that the new SLX frame does allow for lower minimum saddle height, probably due to its redesigned clamp.
    Maybe I'll just wait a few months, as I expect that soon they will end selling the old frame, and have all Endurace bikes use the new frame of the SLX, i.e. also the cheaper Endurace models.

Thanks for the info. Yes I'm looking at one with the leaf spring seat post, and all other M sizing are fine for me.
    I noticed that the new SLX frame does allow for lower minimum saddle height, probably due to its redesigned clamp.
    Maybe I'll just wait a few months, as I expect that soon they will end selling the old frame, and have all Endurace bikes use the new frame of the SLX, i.e. also the cheaper Endurace models.

I wouldn't make any assumptions on that, as they released the Ultimate CF SLX which shares some of the features of the Endurace CF SLX (aero cockpit, redesigned clamp) some time ago, and they still sell both the old and new Ultimate CF frames, so both types could still continue in parallel for some time to come.

Good point. Let's hope you're wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Good point. Let's hope you're wrong :)

The Ultimate CF SL frame is about 1,199, the Ultimate CF SLX frame is 2,499.

I'd imagine it will be the same price brackets for the Endurace.

That aside, you can go about 10mm above the line on that leaf spring seat post and it still performs. Shortly after that point if starts to split and won't go down any further.

If you are willing to wait and aren't in a rush, then in a couple of months Canyon will be doing their 2016 sale and you could save a few bob during that.

• Advertisement

Thanks! Look like that seat-post on the CF is just not good for me.
    I had no idea another big sale is expected in two months - indeed I'm in no hurry, and will wait for it, hopefully it will also include the Endurace SLX (unlike the current sale)

Do you recall how big were the markdowns during the 2015 sale? Roughly similar to the current sale?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hi,

[b[I really don't want to go with the Small frame,[/b] and was wondering whether someone who owns an Endurace, can check whether the seat can (in practice) be inserted a bit deeper reaching a slightly lower minimum height.

Thanks!
    Adiror

Why don't you want to go with a small? Sounds like it's the right size for you.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Hi,

I did some measurements that determined the geometry of the Medium is best fit for me (expect for seat height)\
    Interestingly enough, Canyon's calculator generates this message when I key in my measurements:

"MISENTRY
    Normally you would need a Size M. However, your inseam length shows us your saddle height would be around around 73.5cm. A Size S is therefore a better match for you."

BTW I see some of the CF models show as "sold out" without a restocking date - again, makes me wonder if this is a sign they are phasing out the old frame for all models, in favor of the SLX frame.

Thanks

Hi,

I did some measurements that determined the geometry of the Medium is best fit for me (expect for seat height)\
    Interestingly enough, Canyon's calculator generates this message when I key in my measurements:

"MISENTRY
    Normally you would need a Size M. However, your inseam length shows us your saddle height would be around around 73.5cm. A Size S is therefore a better match for you."

BTW I see some of the CF models show as "sold out" without a restocking date - again, makes me wonder if this is a sign they are phasing out the old frame for all models, in favor of the SLX frame.

Thanks

Nah, this has happened year on year, and across all models. As far as I gather, the reason for this is that Canyon negotiate their supply up front for the year/production run, and most likely they have exhausted/allocated their supply of parts for those bikes for this year, and until they redo this process, they may have none in certain sizes. Now there are slight changes between each year's spec as a result of this (e.g. the higher level Endurance CFs got a wheel upgrade this year, and the saddles are different, and between 2014 and 2015 they switched from Ritchey to their own brand finishing kit), but again, I would expect to see the same Endurace CF frame on sale again next year, or if not, a tweaked version of the current, but most certainly not the CF SLX at the price point of the CF.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hi,

"MISENTRY

Thanks

Surely this means a small is the right size then? You may need a longer stem though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

"MISENTRY

I got this too - except in my case it was size S and recommended XS.

I went for the XS and I think it fits great

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ive a endurace cf slx in small coming in a few weeks if you want to test for size.

Advertisement