Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a network cable from house to garden office

Options
  • 18-07-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here would recommend someone in order to do this...

I'm currently building an small office building in my garden, and I require a wired broadband connection from the house to the office. I'm currently unsure how to do this. We have a good fibre broadband service, so I need to connect a network cable from the modem to the office somehow. It'll have to go from the cable modem back into the wall and then outside, through the garden, and into the office. I'm unsure what is the best way to do this, or if there is another solution that I can use (apart from Wifi). Anyone know of a company with experience in this area?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

What's the distance from where your current modem/router is to where the new office will be?

Presumably a sparks will be running electrical cabling out to this new office, so if they were any good, they could include a run of Cat 5e/6 cable from the modem/router out to your office and terminate both ends with an RJ45 connector.

If you wanted to have a couple of connected devices in the office you could get yourself a small 4 or 8 port Gigabit switch pretty cheap and connect everything to that. You might also consider maybe having a small wifi AP so your phone/tablet could continue working out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dreadnought

would a powerline adapter be an option for you? You could simply use the electric cables to send the signal if they are already in place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

would a powerline adapter be an option for you? You could simply use the electric cables to send the signal if they are already in place...

If he's building it would be daft not to run network cables. Homeplugs are hit or miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

If he's building it would be daft not to run network cables. Homeplugs are hit or miss.

Never had a problem with home plugs myself in my own network setup. Have however had an issue at a clients house whose garage/office was on a different circuit to the main house and they weren't a suitable solution in that instance.

Do agree that if its a new build running a network cable is the most logical solution.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Definitely run a few cables out to the new office.

If you have the space to do it, put in a small wall mounted 19inch comms cabinet and a patch panel at each end where the connections from the house to the office terminate with proper cable labelling so you know what one goes where.

This also allows you to mount a small switch in the cabinet in the house and patch them all into the one router if required or you can patch in a wireless access point in the office and have a separate wifi network out there.

Keeps things easier to manage and neat too. Nothing worse than a bunch of loose cables hanging there and you've no idea if they are working or not and which each one goes where.

You can get a cabinet for a less than €200 incl VAT.

Also make sure you use external ethernet cabling between buildings, the standard internal copper isnt suitable for outdoor use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Hi, managed to sort it out. Got our electrician over, and we figured out how to get the line out of the house. We're actually doing patio work at the moment, so it'll be easy to bury the cable underneath with ducting.

Advertisement