Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of revovating small terraced house (D7)

Options
  • 18-07-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi there,

Would anyone have a ballpark figure of how much it would cost to renovate a small (592 sq ft) terraced house in Dublin 7? it would need new kitchen/bathroom, rewiring, re-plastering, maybe knock one small wall, new windows (pref hardwood double-glazed), probably some insulation, guttering (hopefully that would sort the damp patches on the walls upstairs) new internal doors etc.

I know there's loads of variables and something bad would probably turn up but just want an idea. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what is your budget?
    It could be anything from 25k to 60k depending on what needs doing and what spec you want

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sm171

Thanks. I don't have a budget yet. I just wanted some idea of how much it would cost for a standard finish if I bought a house that needed renovation. I figured 25-30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

sm171 wrote: »
    Thanks. I don't have a budget yet. I just wanted some idea of how much it would cost for a standard finish if I bought a house that needed renovation. I figured 25-30k.

Given it needs gutting I think 50-80k depending on finishes is closer.

893bet wrote: »
    Given it needs gutting I think 50-80k depending on finishes is closer.
    If that's the case it is way overpriced! Its on the market for 200k and would only be worth 250-260k when renovated

If that's the case it is way overpriced! Its on the market for 200k and would only be worth 250-260k when renovated

That seems bang on really interns of price no?

• Advertisement

Not really. There's no profit in it if it costs 200k, takes 50k to renovate it and is then worth 250k (not that I'm a property developer but I wouldn't outspend what a house is worth).

Not really. There's no profit in it if it costs 200k, takes 50k to renovate it and is then worth 250k (not that I'm a property developer but I wouldn't outspend what a house is worth).

Lol. There would be profit in it if you were "handy" and could do a lot of work yourself. Think homes under the hammer style. I assume you are not so the builder you contract makes the "profit".

I think if you spend your time guessing values then you will never buy!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi there,

Would anyone have a ballpark figure of how much it would cost to renovate a small (592 sq ft) terraced house in Dublin 7? it would need new kitchen/bathroom, rewiring, re-plastering, maybe knock one small wall, new windows (pref hardwood double-glazed), probably some insulation, guttering (hopefully that would sort the damp patches on the walls upstairs) new internal doors etc.

I know there's loads of variables and something bad would probably turn up but just want an idea. Thanks.

Just did something similar in cork
    ~20 materials
    ~20 labour
    IKEA cheap kitchen, But not Windows or wall insulation or roof and only ceilings boarded, vapour barrier, insulated & plastered, only toilet changed, no tiling, living floor insulated, painted, some skirting, 1 timber structural wall relocated, floor sanding, floor levelling & Lino, and some asbestos removal.

Add another 10k for windows & doors.

Labour costs more in Dublin - the prices above included vat.

893bet wrote: »
    Lol. There would be profit in it if you were "handy" and could do a lot of work yourself. Think homes under the hammer style. I assume you are not so the builder you contract makes the "profit".

I think if you spend your time guessing values then you will never buy!

You're probably right. I'm not very handy so I'd have to learn!!

Advertisement