Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Play?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'd be quite a quick golfer even when playing bad, I'll pick up when out of the hole, give up "honour" if someone else is ready, get to my ball first, line up putts etc but..

I've played with groups who are too fast for me. They treat the round like a speed run and it sucks the enjoyment out of it.

A member of one group I played with took it to a new level hitting their drive while others were on the fairway and in range saying it would speed them up until I refused.

I take a yardage,practice swing, I line up my shots and I might even change club if the wind picks up because if I hit a good shot I generally don't hit two more.

If in a four ball we're at the 9th by 1.5hrs on a Sunday and we catch the group in front I'll slow down instead of trying to play through when the course is full anyhow.

I can understand if they want to get home soon etc but generally its my one day off a week where I can relax and enjoy my hobby so four hours in a four ball is acceptable for me on a weekend.

I fully understand the frustration if the group in front is standing around talking while they could hit their shots,slow to leave a green etc but aside from that no matter what we do, on a full course the round will be 4-4.5hrs.

Its full of amateurs enjoying their day out, we can't expect 3hr rounds from such a mixed group of ages and abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think the problem with slow play comes from players who are slow at everything they do, like slow to pick a club, excessive talking between shots, slow on the green, slow to get to the next tee box and think that once they get there that they can stand there talking and taking an eternity to take their shot.

That pretty well sums it up. Some people seem to think it is normal for a round to take 4.45 - 5.00 and behave accordingly. Unless and until they are told that it is not (and that there are consequences like losing their spot on the timesheet), 'ready golf' isn't going to make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Sounds like some posters want everyone who is over 50 to stay off the course and out of their way so ye can jog around in double quick time and get home to cut the front lawn.

Slow down and smell the flowers lads, it wont last forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sounds like some posters want everyone who is over 50 to stay off the course and out of their way so ye can jog around in double quick time and get home to cut the front lawn.

Actually, its fellas under 50 I find are the biggest offenders

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Rikand wrote: »

Agree.  Age has little or nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Agreed.

Young guns taking their lead from what they see on the tele is a killer. Lining putts up from every single direction possible, checking the line on their ball is EXACTLY in line with the hole seems to take 4/5 attempts and marking 2 footers for no reason when they can just bang them in. All things that Pro's do and young people copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Agreed.

Young guns taking their lead from what they see on the tele is a killer. Lining putts up from every single direction possible, checking the line on their ball is EXACTLY in line with the hole seems to take 4/5 attempts and marking 2 footers for no reason when they can just bang them in. All things that Pro's do and young people copy.

I kinda disagree. Getting better at golf in my mind means lining up putts and shots correctly as opposed to just walking up and banging it. It would be better for the pace of play if this was done while walking up to the ball, or while your partners are playing their shots rather than when its your turn. I think thats the true time killer. Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newport2

eoghan104 wrote: »

This is the only thing I really take time over, cos it's the most important thing to get right. There's a margin of error in everything else! :D I also line up short putts for routine's sake, but it only takes a second and I don't take practice swings with my putter, so still quicker than most.

Be ready for your shot with club selected, one practice swing, pick your line and hit the ball. Then walk at a reasonable pace. This would solve most problems.

Pet hates:
    Golfers leaving bag on wrong side of green every time.
    Golfers ambling along, chatting away with people standing waiting.
    Golfers who make changing clubs at the last minute part of their routine (almost)
    Guy I work with takes about 5 practice swings for every shot, more for chips and pitches.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Relevant

Gotta feel so sorry for him. He went through hell with his anxiety's over the ball.
    The video at 1 min with the waggles is brilliant.
    The smile on Rickie's face is brilliant.
    The video where it takes 1:42 to hit a shot ? I walked around with one of the Rules officials at the Connacht finals and he put one of the matches on the clock. On one of the holes, both sets of foursomes took these times to hit two fairway shots (4:50) and (3:30). I stood beside him watching the clock with him as he continued to time this group over the next few holes and on only a couple of occasions did they beat the Allowed time. Most of the time all 4 players were minimum 30 seconds to a minute over the allowed time per shot.

Having seen what I seen at the weekend. The 1:42 isn't all that bad! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I walked around with one of the Rules officials at the Connacht finals and he put one of the matches on the clock. On one of the holes, both sets of foursomes took these times to hit two fairway shots (4:50) and (3:30). I stood beside him watching the clock with him as he continued to time this group over the next few holes and on only a couple of occasions did they beat the Allowed time. Most of the time all 4 players were minimum 30 seconds to a minute over the allowed time per shot.

Thats painful. What was his ruling?

• Advertisement

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Thats painful. What was his ruling?

Common sense prevailed on his part.

That is to say, That all in the group were equally ridiculous so he couldn't take holes off them. How can you punish one and not the other when both are at fault. Thankfully there was no one behind them, but by the 11th hole, they had lost 3 holes on the group in front of them.

All he could do was keep standing there with the watch and hope they'd cop the **** on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Common sense prevailed on his part.

That is to say, That all in the group were equally ridiculous so he couldn't take holes off them. How can you punish one and not the other when both are at fault. Thankfully there was no one behind them, but by the 11th hole, they had lost 3 holes on the group in front of them.

All he could do was keep standing there with the watch and hope they'd cop the **** on.

Genuinely asking, could he have DQ'd both pairs ?
    I know it would have caused a sh1tstorm, but, seriously, at the business end of amateur competitions, slow play is almost a bigger issue than on the tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

First Up wrote: »
    A very minor one. The logic of the practice is that you play the shots in the order in which you reach the balls.  That is also the safest way to proceed as everyone is behind the ball being hit.  It just requires that every player (a) keeps up while walking (or in their cart) and (b) is ready to hit their shot.  Of course there are times when someone is delayed looking for a ball etc and in those situations others should hit.
    Slow play is caused mostly by players walking too slowly, not being ready when it is there turn, taking too long over shots (dithering over which club, practice swings), unnecessary marking of short putts, leaving clubs in the wrong place and just all-round faffing about.

I get this, and the furthest away rule makes sense in this case. But it is usually around the green that there should be more flexibility. e.g. I'm off the green, my 3 partners are on, I hit a **** chip, and end up farthest away. The other 3 are ready but have to wait for me to get my putter and line up the putt. Or similar scenario farther out where players ready to play wait for another one to walk up, pick a club, hit the ball.
    And yes, this is not the sole cause of slow play, but it can add time, therefore can slow the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

In my club we play 4balls on Fridays and 4 hours really is the max and usually its around the 3:45 mark. Sundays its 3balls and its 3:20 to 3:40 or so. Our course is probably not what you'd call a monster length wise, but at the same time its far from short and probably the most challenging in the area. Its not easy anyway. I played the Heritage I think its called in Laois last year and 4 hrs plus wouldn't surprise me there. One long par 4 after another. And I mean at the limit for mid handicapper long.
    Where are you guys playing that you see > 4hrs or even close to 5 hrs rounds?

Russman wrote: »
    Genuinely asking, could he have DQ'd both pairs ?
    I know it would have caused a sh1tstorm, but, seriously, at the business end of amateur competitions, slow play is almost a bigger issue than on the tours.

I dont believe so - Perhaps in strokeplay that is an option, but in matchplay all the rulings follow ::

1st Warning - On the clock
    2nd warning - Loss of hole
    3rd warning - Loss of hole
    4th warning - Loss of match
    A match needs a winner in this case - not for the match to be null and void

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

2 ball

4h 15m in margarets. Usually we play in 3 hours.

Absolute joke. Mentioned it after nine and i swear the group out front start going slower.

Not sure how others feel but it ruined it for me to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Played Ballykisteen today. 4.5 hours to play. It was excruciating.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

work outing today. painful. 4 hours 30 on a short course. group 2 spots in front lost 3 holes on group ahead. Thought one of them had a score going. Asked after and best was 27. just wanted to cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

2 ball

4h 15m in margarets. Usually we play in 3 hours.

Absolute joke. Mentioned it after nine and i swear the group out front start going slower.

Not sure how others feel but it ruined it for me to be honest

Jesus that's painfully slow for St. Margaret's.

Jesus that's painfully slow for St. Margaret's.

actually should of stopped playing after 9. The four arseholes in front never let us through. The lad in the club shop drove down to the groups ahead and done f all really and then drove back to club house.

It is rare i would go to clubhouse, i once had to ring grange castle as there was 6 groups on on two holes.

I wont be going back anytime soon to be honest.

4 groups on 194 par 3 overwater, think it was 13th or 14th (just after a par 5)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Tom.D.BJJ wrote:
    I kinda disagree. Getting better at golf in my mind means lining up putts and shots correctly as opposed to just walking up and banging it. It would be better for the pace of play if this was done while walking up to the ball, or while your partners are playing their shots rather than when its your turn. I think thats the true time killer. Hope that makes sense.

As mainly a society player and playing a number of rounds each year which I wouldn't be familiar with - I agree you have to line up putts / read greens. No point rushing and 3 or 4 putting and taking longer!! Just need to read the green when others are taking there putts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have a question related to slow play. Do people like being called through?

We were called through today - didn't really want it - and it affected my concentration, felt rushed etc and kinda turned a pretty well going round into a struggle for the buffer. It shouldn't have affected me but it did. Not looking for sympathy or a hug but I'm wondering do people like being called through?

I don't tbh unless it gives me a clear home run. Today we were a 2ball amongst 4 balls and we weren't going anywhere.

I have a question related to slow play. Do people like being called through?

We were called through today - didn't really want it - and it affected my concentration, felt rushed etc and kinda turned a pretty well going round into a struggle for the buffer. It shouldn't have affected me but it did. Not looking for sympathy or a hug but I'm wondering do people like being called through?

I don't tbh unless it gives me a clear home run. Today we were a 2ball amongst 4 balls and we weren't going anywhere.

I prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I always accept and pay no more attention than noting common courtesy.

Even the argument of being behind a load of 4balls, it slows the backlog by at least a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Start making your decision as you approach your ball. When you arrive at your ball take a few seconds to finally decide what to hit. Take out your selected club, one practice swing, address the ball, take a few seconds to get comfortable then hit it. Any more than that at our amateur level is overkill imo.

Advertisement