Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much it cost a children in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-07-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello lads, I was just reading some economics posts , and maybe I understood something wrong about the childcare price in this country.

I read about 30k(WOOOOOW) per year in childminder expenses and sounds that is not affordable for me.

At this moment our income is around 4200 after taxes and we can save around 2200 (living in Cork City) , I was kind of proud of my economic healthy but after read that, looks like one children could literally destroy my economy.

Well, I'm 25, so, I won't have children in the next 3-4 years (I wish)

How much money are you paying in childcare?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I've moved this post to the parenting forum, you might get a better response here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

roghar wrote: »
    Hello lads, I was just reading some economics posts , and maybe I understood something wrong about the childcare price in this country.

I read about 30k(WOOOOOW) per year in childminder expenses and sounds that is not affordable for me.

At this moment our income is around 4200 after taxes and we can save around 2200 (living in Cork City) , I was kind of proud of my economic healthy but after read that, looks like one children could literally destroy my economy.

Not sure where you read that but a report from 2015 outs average at €19,500 for two children under 3. Childcare costs vary widely depending on your setup (crèche, child-minder, paid family member etc)

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/childcare-crisis/cost-of-childcare-as-high-as-25k-a-year-for-just-two-children-31509189.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I can give you my numbers if that helps.

Nothing is tax deductable.

When i had one child full time in creche in Cork city, 800 euro per month.
    2 children full time, 1500 per month.

Part time (mornings 5 days) was only about 50 euro cheaper.

Our eldest is in school and we now have an au pair. Not any cheaper really, because we pay her, plus food, transport, phone, bring her on holiday and pay for some classes... But much better fit with our life.

Also take into account losing the several months pay for mat leave if the mother is not in a place that pays a wage for it. That is what hit us the hardest really.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

The only way to afford to return to work for all the women I know with young kids is availing of free/cheap childcare within their families.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

roghar wrote: »

I would be more worried about the grammer in this post proud of my economic healthy but after read that, what is all that about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

audi12 wrote: »
    I would be more worried about the grammer in this post proud of my economic healthy but after read that, what is all that about.

I don't think the OP is a native English speaker .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In Dublin it was 1100 for 1 and 10% discount on 2nd child so 2100 for both full time .
    It can be crazy .

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

€5,500 a year. Childminder, one child and term time only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I've been quoted €200 a week by a local crèche for my two. That's only 4 days a week though and will go down a bit in January when my eldests ECCE kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

In Dublin, for two under 10s I reckon we pay this per year
    School 250
    Uniforms 200
    Creche (breakfast, after school, school holidays) 14,000
    House - well we bought one with enough bedrooms so that we could fit two kids, so it's not like that's an extra expense
    Health insurance 1500
    Sports and activities 1000

Creche does food, so we just need snacks, school lunch and supper.

Treats and holidays are extra

And of course, having my two lovelies - priceless!

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I don't think the OP is a native English speaker .

Fair enough if thats the case otherwise shocking.

School 250
    Uniforms 200
    House - well we bought one with enough bedrooms so that we could fit two kids, so it's not like that's an extra expense
    Health insurance 1500

Thankfully I dont have children 14,000 on fees you will be working till your 65 ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Fair enough if that's the case, otherwise it's shocking.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'd be more worried that you spelt grammar incorrectly

Fair enough if thats the case otherwise shocking.

Please keep on topic , the topic is not anyone elses use of English .

School 250
    Uniforms 200
    Health insurance 1500

Thankfully I dont have children 14,000 on fees you will be working till your 65 ha

I plan on doing that anyway! The Creche fees are only for the primary school years, and also while I'm building my career and earning capacity. Once the Creche / school fees are done my money is for me! Meeeee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I plan on doing that anyway! The Creche fees are only for the primary school years, and also while I'm building my career and earning capacity. Once the Creche / school fees are done my money is for me! Meeeee!

College?

I hear they only get more expensive as they get older...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

pwurple wrote: »
    College?

I hear they only get more expensive as they get older...

And braces! I'll never see a bob again :(

But my babies are my world. ....

You still have to pay for them after primary why would you want to be working till you are 65 like.

I was referring to Creche fees.

I like my work and I like money and the treats it brings! I've a great work life balance too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement