Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 1st Sportive -100k An Post tour of Meath Sunday 24th

Options
  • 18-07-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    So this is my first season cycling and my first sportive and I'm a wee bit nervous! I've manged to get in a couple of ~75km spins over the last 2 weeks along with my usual 30km loop a couple of times during the week.

However the last 15km on my long cycle at the weekend was bloody tough, felt like I had spent all my energy, it could have been all down to fueling but I dont know (1 gel, 1 rice krispie bar)?

I've just looked at the profile and it looks like a fairly tough one for a newbie.

Would this be a good one for a newbie and any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

You will be fine. You will get carried along with the crowd and the adrenilene will kick in. Also you will be mentally perpared.

What I would have done before a sportive of 100km as a beginner would be to do a light spin of about 40km on the Weds/Thurs but not at any great speed just to keep the legs spinning and then rest up until Sunday. It worked well for me especially if you are saying that you have been feeling tired at the end if spins.
    Also make sure that you get a Carbohydrate mix into your water bottles to keep you fueled up as well as the usual carbs that you will eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Dow99 wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    So this is my first season cycling and my first sportive and I'm a wee bit nervous! I've manged to get in a couple of ~75km spins over the last 2 weeks along with my usual 30km loop a couple of times during the week.

However the last 15km on my long cycle at the weekend was bloody tough, felt like I had spent all my energy, it could have been all down to fueling but I dont know (1 gel, 1 rice krispie bar)?

I've just looked at the profile and it looks like a fairly tough one for a newbie.

You'll be fine. Sounds like you "Bonked" (ran out of energy) for the last 15k
    Loose the Gel and replace with a Banana or two. You cant beat solid food. Also there is a food stop on the Tour Of Meath,use it. have a cup of Coffee and a sandwich. you'll be signing up for the Wicklow 200 next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I've never done that route but in general for your first event:

Make sure you get a good nights sleep in the two nights before the event.

These things usually require very early starts in the morning in order to get to there for the start, so you may not be be in the mood for a breakfast before you leave the house. If not you could bring some milk/cereal with you and have it in the car when you arrive but there'll usually be food at the start free for you to have. Those quick pots of cereal, bananas, flapjacks that sort of thing so fuel up before you leave and grab a banana and flapjack for your pocket to nibble on.

Try avoid the gels or anything you're not used to in case it does bad things to the stomach. No harm in having a gel in the pocket just in case, and I've had to make use of them in the past, but try using wholefoods if you can.

Go a bit slower then you'd usually go for the first half when it's easy to get caught up with fresh legs and enthusiasm and go out too hard. Knocking 1 or 2kph off your usual pace will keep you nice and fresh for the second half.

Make use of the food stops to top up on a bit of grub and keep the bottles filled.

Sit in with a group if you find one going at a nice pace, it'll save you a bit of energy but also adds to the enjoyment by having a natter as you tip along.

Lastly try not to overthink things which it's very easy to do. You've pretty much done the distance already solo, it'll be easier in company. So make sure you eat and drink regularly and enjoy the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Hey folks,

If someone is training for a particular distance, such as in your case a 100k sportive, its very normal never to hit that distance in training, especially if you train solo. On the day, a combo of riding in groups, adrenaline, being psychologically up for the day etc, will easily see you doing 25%-30% more than you've done in training, assuming you've trained properly.
    Start at a steady pace, and don't hoor up the first proper hills, especially if they arrive early.
    Use electrolytes in your water, I wouldn't get caught up on carbs, a good breakfast will provide most of that (porridge!), and then just have a bit of lunch at the feed stops. And enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

There's usually a big crowd of cyclists at this, especially the 100km route. The buzz of cycling with others will keep you going, and if you take a bit of shelter from the wind behind others at times that will definitely help too when it comes to the final few km. Say hi to random people beside you, the time will fly in with some company.

Don't feel you have to stick with a group if you find the pace too much, you don't want to burn yourself out. Go your own pace on the hills, if you are faster than the group you can shoot on or take it handy while they catch up. If you are slower, well there's always more people behind you*.

Enjoy the day. It's a great one to start with in my opinion.

* well, usually, someone has to be last I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

This was also my first sportive when I started a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. There will be lots of cyclists there of all abilities and you will find that you're not the slowest. There will be lots of small groups forming once you're away from the start and it should be easy enough to find a group going at your pace. As others have said, don't push too hard in the first half, it's ok to drop out of the back of a group of they're going too fast for you. Use the food stops and don't vary your diet or drink this close to the event. If you're not used to energy drinks or gels, I wouldn't start trying them now.
    You've done 3/4 of the distance already, probably alone, so the extra part will fly by if you're in a decent group or even chatting with one other person. Enjoy the day, you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Ah folks, thanks a lot. That has really put my mind at ease!!! Actually really looking forward to the day now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hope you get better weather on the day than we did last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

OP you sound like you're well prepared to me. 3/4 the distance solo is pretty decent preparation. As others have mentioned make sure you eat and drink regularly. Get yourself a sandwich and a cuppa at the foodstop. Find a group that suits you and enjoy the chat. If the group's too fast, there'll be another one along.

See you at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

First half is the hardest but after that it was grand. Two years ago when I did it the food stop was very late so eat plenty before that.

I'm coaching two new guys so will do the 50km with them at their pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Sounds to me like you`ll be sorted.

Day of the event the hype alone will carry you through the dark patches. Also you`ll have company the whole way, just enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Hey folks,

totally agree on the buzz of the event getting you through, make sure you eat and drink enough on the day and drink plenty in the day or 2 beforehand. My 1st big spin was about 120kms which i felt like was a easy sunday morning spin. cycling a group was the hardest thing to get used to. listen & watch out for the shouts from those ahead of you poiniting out shores etc and have a great time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This was my first ago it was mostly enjoyable. Well organised, noone was trying to do any racing. Groups were happy to come and go with you.

There is or was one pinch point at the first climb so just watch out for people stopping suddenly to unclip or get off. Its a very short climb, but steep enough if I recall and it is the only time the big crowd is an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Hey folks,

Did you remember to stop off on your 75km cycles? My first 100km sportive was the lap de gaps this year. Felt nice and fresh towards the end as I meticulously ate something every 20 - 25 minutes and stayed well hydrated. Also I watched my pace and didn't push it, I just enjoyed the cycle and took in the beautiful scenery. 1 gel and 1 rice krispie bar over 100km would not be enough (for me!) - I'm a big bloke 6'2 and 93kg so need a lot of fuel to keep going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Hope you get better weather on the day than we did last year!

It's not promised good!

Advertisement