Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wada commissioned McLaren report into Antdoping in Russis

Options
  • 18-07-2016 2:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Russian sport is toast.....

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2016-07/wada-publishes-independent-mclaren-investigations-report

Key Findings
    1. The Moscow Laboratory operated, for the protection of doped Russian
    athletes, within a State-dictated failsafe system, described in the report as
    the Disappearing Positive Methodology.
    2. The Sochi Laboratory operated a unique sample swapping methodology
    to enable doped Russian athletes to compete at the Games.
    3. The Ministry of Sport directed, controlled and oversaw the manipulation
    of athlete’s analytical results or sample swapping, with the active
    participation and assistance of the FSB, CSP, and both Moscow and Sochi
    Laboratories

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm shocked, stunned and not a little amazed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

endacl wrote: »
    I'm shocked, stunned and not a little amazed?

I'm shocked the report is so damning, was expecting a slap on the wrist/could do better one....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's Russia... same as the USSR, same as East Germany, same as Caucescu Romania ... if there is any way they will give their athletes an edge, without regard to the damage that will do the athlete or the sport in question, they will grab it with both hands, whether that is doping, corruption, bribery, intimidation whatever.

The only surprising thing about it is that an official body is finally taking off its blinkers to call a spade a spade.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

The response from Pat Hickey is just fecking unreal, it really would make you despair!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/pat-hickey-slams-report-calling-for-outright-russian-olympic-ban-1.2725073

Totally ignores the actual findings and focuses in on the fact that the info got out a day before it was due. Christ almighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's Russia... same as the USSR, same as East Germany, same as Caucescu Romania ... if there is any way they will give their athletes an edge, without regard to the damage that will do the athlete or the sport in question, they will grab it with both hands, whether that is doping, corruption, bribery, intimidation whatever.

The only surprising thing about it is that an official body is finally taking off its blinkers to call a spade a spade.

You left out, Jamaica, Kenya, Ethopia, Turkey, China, India, & the good olde U.S. Of A, & many, many, others !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

terrydel wrote: »
    The response from Pat Hickey is just fecking unreal, it really would make you despair!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/pat-hickey-slams-report-calling-for-outright-russian-olympic-ban-1.2725073

Totally ignores the actual findings and focuses in on the fact that the info got out a day before it was due. Christ almighty!
    A few minor good points but he's really missing the big picture and would have been much better off keeping quiet.

They're just trying to hurry things along so that they can get qualification spots reassigned before Rio - hardy surprising this close to the date.

Pat might change his tune if any Irish athletes get qualified on the back of this.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A minimum 643 "Disappearing Positive Test Results" between 2012 and 2015. 139 Athletics, 117 Weightlifting, 37 Non Olympic sports, 35 Paralympic Sport....

Cycling is lagging behind with "only" 26!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Beasty wrote: »
    A minimum 643 "Disappearing Positive Test Results" between 2012 and 2015. 139 Athletics, 117 Weightlifting, 37 Non Olympic sports, 35 Paralympic Sport....

Cycling is lagging behind with "only" 26!!

Damn, we need to up our game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

fishfoodie wrote: »
    You left out, Jamaica, Kenya, Ethopia, Turkey, China, India, & the good olde U.S. Of A, & many, many, others !

There are a couple of state sponsored doping programmes in there but mostly it was the work of privateers - individual training groups etc. The authorities certainly didn't cover themselves in glory in tackling it but it's a bit different to full on state sponsored or state sanctioned doping.

An interesting point is the extent to which outright bans of athletes from particular nations will be used as a weapon in the future. It is certainly an appropriate response when the state is behind doping - will we also see it used more widely to ensure that states' anti-doping programmes become more effective? To some extent this is what the IAAF have already done in athletics.
    The difficulty is that clean athletes from countries with ineffective anti-doping programmes potentially suffer and may take action. I don't know enough about the institutional and legal framework for imposing country's responsibilities for anti-doping to know if those actions would be likely to succeed. The idea of allowing athletes voluntarily submit themselves to testing by accredited structures outside of their national arrangements is an attractive short term fix but seems like a mess as a longer term approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

fishfoodie wrote: »
    odyssey06 wrote: »

Agree. "They're all doping." I mean, if Maria Sharapova fancies a bit of heart medicine to up her game, who isn't doping. Finnish Cross Country skiers were banned for doping with a very dangerous blood expander, i said the FINNISH CROSS COUNTRY SKIERS.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It would appear to me that clean athletes from states like Russia are probably better off with action like this as their chances of ever making it within a regime like that look pretty low.

Finnish Cross Country skiers were banned for doping with a very dangerous blood expander, i said the FINNISH CROSS COUNTRY SKIERS.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this something that's done to mask (and/or reduce the health risks of) EPO use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Agree. "They're all doping." I mean, if Maria Sharapova fancies a bit of heart medicine to up her game, who isn't doping. Finnish Cross Country skiers were banned for doping with a very dangerous blood expander, i said the FINNISH CROSS COUNTRY SKIERS.

The Finnish were blood doping prior to Munich and Montreal in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Finnish Cross Country skiers were banned for doping with a very dangerous blood expander, i said the FINNISH CROSS COUNTRY SKIERS.

It's absolutely huge in Finland. Like the 'GAA' here. Nearly everyone in Finland skies and it's still used as a mode of transport there. They were at the forefront of EPO use as well and started using it well before the pro peloton.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Esroh wrote: »
    The Finnish were blood doping prior to Munich and Montreal in the 70s.

It was actually legal up til after the 1984 Olympics when the USA team used it extensively to great effect esp in the cycling events

RobFowl wrote: »
    It was actually legal up til after the 1984 Olympics when the USA team used it extensively to great effect esp in the cycling events

Is it not that it was illegal to use performance enhancing substances at the time but that many PEDs weren't specifically listed and was no way of testing for them. Meaning that there was no way of getting caught (unless you admitted to it) and no real incentive not to do it.

I.e. they were technically illegal, but not really in practice...and most didn't bother worrying about the difference.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Is it not that it was illegal to use performance enhancing substances at the time but that many PEDs weren't specifically listed and was no way of testing for them. Meaning that there was no way of getting caught (unless you admitted to it) and no real incentive not to do it.

I.e. they were technically illegal, but not really in practice...and most didn't bother worrying about the difference.

No, I was specifically saying blood doping via transfusion was only banned after 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

the response from Pat Hickey prior to publication of report signifies how deep the problem is and how far the omerta extends to as regards what these administrations will do to cover up the issue

I mean a State sponsored doping programme in Russia still isn't enough to ensure they are table toppers - they should have just thrown money at it like other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Andalucia wrote: »
    the response from Pat Hickey prior to publication of report signifies how deep the problem is and how far the omerta extends to as regards what these administrations will do to cover up the issue

I mean a State sponsored doping programme in Russia still isn't enough to ensure they are table toppers - they should have just thrown money at it like other countries

Sadly, there is an alternative reason why the State Sponsored Dopers from Russia might have failed to win their events :mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement