Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports bra

Options
  • 18-07-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Could you recommend a good supportive sports bra please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey Molly,

Shock Absorber. Debenhams and Elverys have them anyway. Get fitted. You may dislocate a shoulder the first few times but they provide excellent support.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've never liked shock absorber.
    I wear anita sports bras and have done for years now...shock absorber, while giving good support always cut into me everywhere and broke down much easier than anita ones do.

I've used the anita extreme control and momentum control ones - don't know if any Irish shops stock them so I've had to buy online. They're usually about 60 euro each. I managed to get 2 in Rotterdam, they were selling them half price at the expo. HALF PRICE. I was ridiculously excited. :D
    http://www.anita.com/shop/en_global/sports-bra-extreme-control-d4f276.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

While I do really like shock absorber bras, like racoon queen says they might not suit everyone, so be sure to fit on and most importantly jump around /jog on spot/ swing your arms etc in whatever bra you are trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I use either the Shock Absorber Active Multisport or the Panache Sport. I'm on the bigger side of things though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I have a Shock Absorber and recently got a Brooks Juno

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_ie/juno/350025.html?dwvar_350025_color=001#start=10

You can see in the pic, just in the middle of the chest there is a vertical seam. That seam rubbed the skin off, however I unpicked the stitches so it layed flat rather than poking it and it has been perfect since. It's a bit of a mission to get on and off, however I now perfer it to the Shock Absorber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I got one from Lidl last year, and its great, I'm also on the big side. Getting it on isn't a problem, getting it off can be interesting, a fair bit of contortion is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Berlei underwire sports bra, Panache underwire, brooks Juno & shock absorber all good, I've found the Berlei bra best for me. Juno bra you need to be a contortionist to get in to it, panache can mark the skin under the boobs on longer runs & shock absorber just doesn't seem to have as much support once you've used the others. Purely personal choice & like the others say you're probably better to get fitted as they all size differently on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

denis160 wrote: »
    Berlei underwire sports bra, Panache underwire, brooks Juno & shock absorber all good, I've found the Berlei bra best for me. Juno bra you need to be a contortionist to get in to it, panache can mark the skin under the boobs on longer runs & shock absorber just doesn't seem to have as much support once you've used the others. Purely personal choice & like the others say you're probably better to get fitted as they all size differently on.

Good point, but where are you gonna get someone to fit you for a sports bra really like? I can't imagine going into Amphibian King and asking Gary to fit me for a sports bra:eek: and there only ever seems to be guys in there, or Kevin in the Run Hub:eek::eek:. If you go to Elvery's etc, I doubt they'd have expert women fitters there, so it'd just be a shop assistant's opinion. Maybe somewhere like Arnotts, but I'm not sure they do the big brand sports underwear. Maybe they do. Must check...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Arnotts definitely had the Freya Active sports bras the last time I was in there, and I got one of my Panache sports bras years ago in Peaches and Cream.

Bravissimo if you can get to Belfast or happen to find yourself in one of the other UK branches - they have a big range despite the fact that you don't see too many of them out on the shop floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Arnotts definitely had the Freya Active sports bras the last time I was in there, and I got one of my Panache sports bras years ago in Peaches and Cream.

Great stuff, thanks. Will pop into Arnotts this week and see what the Freya are like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ososlo wrote: »
    Good point, but where are you gonna get someone to fit you for a sports bra really like? I can't imagine going into Amphibian King and asking Gary to fit me for a sports bra:eek: and there only ever seems to be guys in there, or Kevin in the Run Hub:eek::eek:. If you go to Elvery's etc, I doubt they'd have expert women fitters there, so it'd just be a shop assistant's opinion. Maybe somewhere like Arnotts, but I'm not sure they do the big brand sports underwear. Maybe they do. Must check...

:D It'd be an interesting conversation alight!

I got fitted in Arnotts for my shock absorber, their service is quite good although I rarely wear that bra now (found a much better, much cheaper one in Penneys!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Ososlo wrote: »

Exactly! When i was talking with brooks customer support about the little piece of fabric that folds in in the centre of the chest they said it mustn't fit right and did i get fitted? Ummm...excuse me?!! I don't want one of the guys fitting me and i'd be pretty sure they haven't been trained anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I'm 'down the country' & we've a few shops/stores that will fit & order in for you. Marie sue lingerie is one they have a branch in Newbridge if you were ever down that way. Is there no underwear/lingerie shops in dublin?
    Debenhams fit too & carrya good selection online that can be ordered into local store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I've to do some running bra shopping pronto. Barbara in Run Logic Temple Bar said to call into her, they have two women on the staff willing and able to help, she suggested I drop a message to their Facebook to make sure there's a lady there to fit me before I trip into town. I hate HATE those bras you've got to wiggle and shimmy and squeeze out of. After a long run (especially if you've been rained on) it's just the worst to get out of those. Don't fancy spending 50 60 quid on a bra though, am trying to save for new brooks ghost 9's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I was in house of Fraser in Dundrum recently and noticed they have shock absorber, Freya and triumph sports bras and a fitting service. I haven't tried it but just thought I'd mention it!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I quite like Shock Absorber, and I have an Under Armour one I quite like too.

Advertisement