Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees on the Sugarloaf?

Options
  • 18-07-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Took a walk up the Sugarloaf yesterday for the first time in years. Probably first time since the 'big fire'. I was surprised by the number of coniferous trees that have taken hold on the upper slopes. Have these been planted or are they opportunists that got in when the mountain was stripped of vegetation after the fire? My memories are of giant ferns covering the slopes in summers past. What will the mountain look like in another 20 years if the trees get a hold?

Glad to see it's still a popular venue for families.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There is always a few, self seeded pines mostly. They seem to remain small and stunted until eventually a fire gets them. Then they start again. So I don't think we will ever see real forest cover there.

There have been several organised tree plantings on the nearby Little Sugarloaf, mostly beech saplings. But between summer drought, lack of soil, high winds and recurring fires its a hostile environment for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

I have noticed this on the increase. It is worrying.
    Conifers blanket and ruin the Wicklow countryside.
    There were no conifers there in the past. I used to run over and down it often.
    It will look awful if these trees take hold.
    Any idea of who to contact about this?
    Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't understand how a hill looks awful if trees take hold ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I have noticed this on the increase. It is worrying.
    Conifers blanket and ruin the Wicklow countryside.
    There were no conifers there in the past. I used to run over and down it often.
    It will look awful if these trees take hold.
    Any idea of who to contact about this?
    Niall.

Is your post a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Incidentally Ireland has always had native species of conifers and yes Wicklow would have been covered in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

listermint wrote: »
    Incidentally Ireland has always had native species of conifers and yes Wicklow would have been covered in them.

Scots pine only, not the spruce trees that now cover most of the country. But yeah, don't see why anyone would complain about trees around sugar loaf. Interfere with his running....sweet jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Sugarloaf used to be covered in trees there 100 years ago

Advertisement