Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions around purchasing an ex-council house

Options
  • 18-07-2016 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had the following experience. We have been bidding on ex-council houses, and have experienced the following issues:

1. Council would not allow house to be sold until owner was sale-agreed on another house. Owner couldn't find another house, took house down from sale.

2. Us (first time buyers) against an investor.
    Council have to issue consent of sale - and are unlikely to issue consent to an investor. Therefore, investor using a family member as a name on the deeds to get around this.

Number 1 was annoying (and time wasting)

Number 2 seems unfair, but I guess as long as all the paperwork lines up, the council don't know any better.

Has anyone else experienced these sort of set backs before?

Thanks,
    Eily

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1 would have collapsed most private sales. 2 could be reported but unlikely to be acted on.

Ex council properties that have already been sold before don't have these restrictions anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Smiley012 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had the following experience. We have been bidding on ex-council houses, and have experienced the following issues:

1. Council would not allow house to be sold until owner was sale-agreed on another house. Owner couldn't find another house, took house down from sale.

2. Us (first time buyers) against an investor.
    Council have to issue consent of sale - and are unlikely to issue consent to an investor. Therefore, investor using a family member as a name on the deeds to get around this.

Number 1 was annoying (and time wasting)

Number 2 seems unfair, but I guess as long as all the paperwork lines up, the council don't know any better.

Has anyone else experienced these sort of set backs before?

Thanks,
    Eily

I know someone who was getting hit by No 2. They wrote a letter to the vendors solicitor and said that they were going to issue proceedings and would injunct the letting of the property. The solicitor passed it on to his opposite number and the sale collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

4ensic15 wrote: »
    I know someone who was getting hit by No 2. They wrote a letter to the vendors solicitor and said that they were going to issue proceedings and would injunct the letting of the property. The solicitor passed it on to his opposite number and the sale collapsed.

I guess it's just frustrating, I would probably go down that path myself. Especially as they came in with a bid phenomenally higher than our last bid. It's hard to emotionally detach yourself from these situations.

Did the person you know who went through with the solicitor letter, did they actually get the house themselves in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did the person you know who went through with the solicitor letter, did they actually get the house themselves in the end?

I can't imagine the buyers were too happy with them so you'd guess not!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I guess it's just frustrating, I would probably go down that path myself. Especially as they came in with a bid phenomenally higher than our last bid. It's hard to emotionally detach yourself from these situations.

No they made a mess of it. They should have had a new bid put in in a different name but they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

I'm contemplating withdrawing the offer we have put in, I just think it's unethical to be bid up by someone who shouldn't be bidding on the house in the first place.

Appreciate the advice guys - I guess I'll keep on looking!

Advertisement