Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A literal waste of space at the Jervis Centre

Options
  • 18-07-2016 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

Every day when I stand at the grim and grimy Luas stop at the Jervis, I wonder why this space has sit so long empty and void of life. (Years empty).

I would love to flower bomb it, plant it and give some life to this space. Why is it sitting idle for so long. There are several other wastelands bang in the city too, just like this.

Does anybody have any ideas how I could cultivate this space whilst waiting for whatever to happen.

I am sure there would be plenty of people who would volunteer also to transform this space and breath some life into such a bleak empty wasteland.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

You could house a few thousand people in apartments on that site.

But then you could also house people in apartments built in people's gardens across the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It is a true travesty that this is allowed. Has the owner not been hit with vacant site tax? There should be apartments of at least 10 storeys here given the infrastructure and location. Bend the rules and allow a reduced amount of underground parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Chinasea wrote: »
    I would love to flower bomb it, plant it and give some life to this space... Any ideas?

You could literally do that:
    http://www.suck.uk.com/products/flowergrenade/

Though it could look strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

I think this site is owned by CIE, who were to build a bus depot here years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Zoe(Liam Carroll) owns the site, they bought it from CIE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

The amount of dereliction within Dublin 1 to some extent, and Dublin 7 to a major extent, is absolutely shocking. There's been a huge site vacant beside the Luas line between the Four Courts and Smithfield stops for years, and a lot of the buildings along the red line between the Jervis and Museum stops seem to be derelict too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That was the former Dublin Bus city centre parking yard where buses laid over during prolonged breaks.

Personally I'd like to see it used as a second city centre bus station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

The amount of dereliction within Dublin 1 to some extent, and Dublin 7 to a major extent, is absolutely shocking. There's been a huge site vacant beside the Luas line between the Four Courts and Smithfield stops for years, and a lot of the buildings along the red line between the Jervis and Museum stops seem to be derelict too.

I understand that this site is to be developed by way of PPP shortly as a new family law court complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

dats_right wrote: »
    I understand that this site is to be developed by way of PPP shortly as a new family law court complex.

Good that it will be utilized. How it was allowed sit fester and rot for so long is shameful.

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Zoe(Liam Carroll) owns the site, they bought it from CIE.

How would they be contacted nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Good that it will be utilized. How it was allowed sit fester and rot for so long is shameful.

It wasn't they found old artifacts when putting in the foundations, so the place had to be explored. They have/had posters up explaining it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How would they be contacted nowadays?

They went bust an age ago.

L1011 wrote: »
    They went bust an age ago.

Anybody know how the gatekeeper can be contacted so that I could try and get a green project moving. I haven't the physical nor mental capacity to cope with Billy to Jack CoCo ping pong.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anybody know how the gatekeeper can be contacted so that I could try and get a green project moving. I haven't the physical nor mental capacity to cope with Billy to Jack CoCo ping pong.

Its going to be built on imminently, so I expect you'll get a very rapid no.

Is it still going to be a court?
    It's strange in Ireland that the courts service seems to be able to get infrastructure built almost at it's whim. Court houses have been enjoying a roll out of new buildings and plush renovations for over a decade now. Health and educational facilities don't seem to have the same clout.
    Ironically we'll have a super modern network of courthouses and sweet F all prison facilities to place offenders. The courts are a bit of a waste of time when there's nowhere to put offenders. We already see multiple offenders walk free because there's nowhere to put them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

cgcsb wrote: »
    Is it still going to be a court?
    It's strange in Ireland that the courts service seems to be able to get infrastructure built almost at it's whim. Court houses have been enjoying a roll out of new buildings and plush renovations for over a decade now. Health and educational facilities don't seem to have the same clout.
    Ironically we'll have a super modern network of courthouses and sweet F all prison facilities to place offenders. The courts are a bit of a waste of time when there's nowhere to put offenders. We already see multiple offenders walk free because there's nowhere to put them.

What you dont seem to realise that our prison population has soared in recent years, while the number in asylum has collapsed. We are sending people to prison now rather going to asylums. You could be a drunk and disorderly and end up in an asylum. Where as the prison system manages you

Do you think that it is acceptable for our courthouses to be something straight out of the 1800s? Our courts literally have not being renovated properly in generations. Should would be content with having courts literally from the 1800s with no renovations?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

This site is huge!
    Surely doesn't need to be all taken up with a courthouse building?
    Ideal site for mixed-use development and build upwards to get maximum value for such a central location.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    What you dont seem to realise that our prison population has soared in recent years, while the number in asylum has collapsed. We are sending people to prison now rather going to asylums. You could be a drunk and disorderly and end up in an asylum. Where as the prison system manages you

Do you think that it is acceptable for our courthouses to be something straight out of the 1800s? Our courts literally have not being renovated properly in generations. Should would be content with having courts literally from the 1800s with no renovations?

Well, yea actually. Nobody lives in court houses they are not a priority for spending. Mountjoy has no plumbing. Prisoners poop in a bucket. People die in attrocious conditions in hospitals and kids are living in hotels. Courts are a secondary concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well, yea actually. Nobody lives in court houses they are not a priority for spending. Mountjoy has no plumbing. Prisoners poop in a bucket. People die in attrocious conditions in hospitals and kids are living in hotels. Courts are a secondary concern.

It's the job of government to spend money across all sectors - not just splash it all in one sector alone.

Many courthouses are frankly not fit for purpose and, especially with the family courts, proper modern facilities are needed.

I don't believe for one minute in the kind of argument that says don't spend money on certain things (like courts) - you need to spend money across the whole of the public sector.

Of course Mountjoy needs replacing and improving the health service is important but you don't just suddenly stop everything else too. By that argument no public investment would happen in any other area whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

lxflyer wrote: »
    It's the job of government to spend money across all sectors - not just splash it all in one sector alone.

Many courthouses are frankly not fit for purpose and, especially with the family courts, proper modern facilities are needed.

I don't believe for one minute in the kind of argument that says don't spend money on certain things (like courts) - you need to spend money across the whole of the public sector.

Of course Mountjoy needs replacing but improving the health service is important but you don't just suddenly stop everything else too. By that argument no public investment would happen in any other area whatsoever.
    I haven't frequented every courthouse in the country but I highly doubt any of them are not fit for purpose. I accept your argument about spending on all areas of the public sector, but when budgets are tight and other areas are arguably more deserving, they should get the investment. And I don't think anyone could argue that new courthouses are more deserving of investment than hospitals, prisons and increased wages across the teaching, Gardai and nursing professions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this article about this space http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rezoning-proposal-puts-40m-family-law-court-in-jeopardy-34905976.html did the councillors not know family law cours going there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I haven't frequented every courthouse in the country but I highly doubt any of them are not fit for purpose. I accept your argument about spending on all areas of the public sector, but when budgets are tight and other areas are arguably more deserving, they should get the investment. And I don't think anyone could argue that new courthouses are more deserving of investment than hospitals, prisons and increased wages across the teaching, Gardai and nursing professions.

A substantial number of circuit courts are in dreadful condition - some don't even have heating. Some sittings are held in local pubs.

Huge investment in health also - primary care centres opening in towns up and down the country. This alleviates pressure on hospitals. Also new maternity hosp has work starting soon. New children's hospital finally started and new and long awaited cystic fibrosis wing finally opened.

In terms of derelict sites - last week's housing announcements will finally see joined up thinking. Remember Coveney wants to be next fg leader and possible future taoiseach - he'll be making sure this housing programme works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The joy is supposed to be redeveloped and prisoners moved out to a new one beside the airport. The prisoners in the joy are generally the lowest rug in society. Do you think prison conditions for kidnappers and heads of drug cartels should be on par with a hotel?

Our hospitals are world class. Go to a hospital in Eastern Europe and see what "atrocious" really is like.

Law and justice should be a primary concern for any country. Without law and justice we arent a modern society. A strong legal system is what separates us from most of the hell holes in Asia and Africa. Without functioning courts, there is no legal system. Without no legal system, there is no investment or jobs etc.

There will always be homeless. There will people moaning about our health system ( being entirely clueless at how amazing it is compared to even other European countries). But without a functioning legal system, there will be no strong economy. Without a strong economy is no chance of dealing with homelessness or money to fund the health system.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    The joy is supposed to be redeveloped and prisoners moved out to a new one beside the airport. The prisoners in the joy are generally the lowest rug in society. Do you think prison conditions for kidnappers and heads of drug cartels should be on par with a hotel?

Our hospitals are world class. Go to a hospital in Eastern Europe and see what "atrocious" really is like.

Law and justice should be a primary concern for any country. Without law and justice we arent a modern society. A strong legal system is what separates us from most of the hell holes in Asia and Africa. Without functioning courts, there is no legal system. Without no legal system, there is no investment or jobs etc.

There will always be homeless. There will people moaning about our health system ( being entirely clueless at how amazing it is compared to even other European countries). But without a functioning legal system, there will be no strong economy. Without a strong economy is no chance of dealing with homelessness or money to fund the health system.

I dont care about the prisoners. I care about the fact there is nowhere to put them and we're splashing out on court houses for criminals to walk into and out of freely. The new prison, like Dublin transport projects, are probably never going to be built. These things are on the never never. The Irish legal profession are also an assembly of crooks, so I don't especially care if they fancy more comfortable offices.

Why are people talking about two completely separate places on this thread?

The OP is talking about this place, next to the Jervis Luas stop:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53°20'50.5"N+6°15'51.9"W/@53.34736,-6.265185,172m

Some other people have brought up a different site for some reason, and then segued into talking about courts/prisons??
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53°20'48.7"N+6°16'33.4"W/@53.346873,-6.2772529,290m

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Why are people talking about two completely separate places on this thread?

The OP is talking about this place, next to the Jervis Luas stop:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53°20'50.5"N+6°15'51.9"W/@53.34736,-6.265185,172m

Some other people have brought up a different site for some reason, and then segued into talking about courts/prisons??
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53°20'48.7"N+6°16'33.4"W/@53.346873,-6.2772529,290m

I was talking about the former by Jervis st luas stop. Not the site beside the Smithfield luas stop. Where's the court to go?

I was talking about the former by Jervis st luas stop. Not the site beside the Smithfield luas stop. Where's the court to go?

It's to go at the site beside the Smithfield luas stop.. so you were talking about it, just didn't realise it.
    Plans for the facility, on Church Street and Hammond Lane in central Dublin

So what is destined for this waste land at the Jervis Luas?

Who owns it? How is this waste of prime land tolerated. Not to mention the eye-soar.

Too much derilect waste. Look what happened to the fabulous Vernon Mount House yesterday in Douglas Co. Cork. Sitting idle for donkeys with planning permission denied. Now all lost.

Advertisement