Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Setanta / eir Sport free with eir Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Hi

I am asking on behalf of my father in law who is an eir broadband/phone subscriber. He has a Sky box that he uses for free-to-air channels and does not have a Sky viewing card. Is it possible for him to get the eir Sport channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi tallpaul,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I would recommend your father in law contacts our eir Sport team on 0818 20 30 40 for the best support on this and they will be able to advise him of all of his options.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Quick question , Can Eir issue viewing cards for customers who have a sky box but no valid sky subscription ?

Using IE is a pain and not very reliable

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BigSue

Hi - Quick question in relation to Eir sport

just upgraded my Eircom account to include broadband - due to be activated next week which includes Eir Sport free.

I have Eir sport annually package paid in April € 225. If I cancel this now do I get refund as it is only 4 months into 12 month deal? If not can I cancel my subscription before April that I pay for & then use my 'free' subscription through my broadband package if I have not used it until then?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Quick question , Can Eir issue viewing cards for customers who have a sky box but no valid sky subscription ?

Thanks
    Hi ninja 12,

I'm afraid we'd be unable to issue a viewing card as our eir Vision service doesn't require a viewing card in order to avail of eir Sport. This is only needed to view it when you're a Sky TV customer with eir broadband.

- Adam

• Advertisement

eir: Adam wrote: »

Thanks
    Hi ninja 12,

I'm afraid we'd be unable to issue a viewing card as our eir Vision service doesn't require a viewing card in order to avail of eir Sport. This is only needed to view it when you're a Sky TV customer with eir broadband.

- Adam
    I thought as much .

So Eir Sport isn't much use to me so thanks to the 2 device limit with limited changes allowed .

If temp internet files/ cookies get deleted it shows up as a new device when logging in .

Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks
    Hi ninja 12,

- Adam
    It has nothing at all to do with being a Sky customer!

Please re-phrase so it makes some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,125 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi ninja 12,

- Adam
    Adam, there's a huge contradiction in your comment so it would be appreciated if you would clarify or further clarify the matter.

Also, are you saying that Eir has never arranged for a Sky viewing card to be sent to a customer?

Thanks
    Hi ninja 12,

- Adam
    I thought as much .

So Eir Sport isn't much use to me so thanks to the 2 device limit with limited changes allowed .

If temp internet files/ cookies get deleted it shows up as a new device when logging in .

Thanks anyway
    If you do experience issues with your registered devices due to internet files/cookies, our technical support team would be able to look into it for you and try to register your devices for you again if you give them a call on 1890260260 or free phone 1901.

- Adam

muffler wrote: »
    Hi ninja 12,

- Adam
    Adam, there's a huge contradiction in your comment so it would be appreciated if you would clarify or further clarify the matter.

Also, are you saying that Eir has never arranged for a Sky viewing card to be sent to a customer?
    Having taken over Setanta Ireland, are eir not obliged to offer cards for the decryption of the Sound & Vision subsidised programming? Setanta were so obliged so presumably eir are also.

One of those cards is sufficient for use in a Sky box to receive the eir sports channels, after registering with eir.

• Advertisement

Hi ninja 12,

- Adam

If you are looking for a Sky viewing card, you would need to contact Sky to receive this.

However, if the Sky Box is inactive, you'd be unable to view eir Sport on it as our offer is for customers who are availing of eir Broadband and Sky TV.

- Adam

Hi ninja 12,

- Adam

If you are looking for a Sky viewing card, you would need to contact Sky to receive this.

However, if the Sky Box is inactive, you'd be unable to view eir Sport on it as our offer is for customers who are availing of eir Broadband and Sky TV.

- Adam
    What about your obligations under the Sound & Vision scheme?

Thanks
    Hi ninja 12,

- Adam
    I thought as much .

Thanks anyway
    If you do experience issues with your registered devices due to internet files/cookies, our technical support team would be able to look into it for you and try to register your devices for you again if you give them a call on 1890260260 or free phone 1901.

- Adam
    I rang the other day while waiting for a response here and got a blunt "we don't issue cards anymore " response .

Why can't Eir allow more than 2 active devices ?

My sister in law has Sky and they allow 4 on their Sky Go service .

Surely somebody in Eir  thought about their customers needs and usage requirements ? 

What about your Eir customers who are on "broadband" with speeds of under 2-3 meg? (i'm on 5-6 so not an issue for me)

Is it a case of waving Eir Sports at them and saying "this is not for you" ? 

Given the rise in prices from Sky and the availability of Saorview and Freesat , not everybody wants / needs Sky .

For clarity I refer to the Sound & Vision 3 Broadcasting Funding Scheme - see
    http://scannain.com/irish/industry/sound-and-vision-funding-2017/

Checking through the applicants who have been offered funding I note numbers 104 and 107 which are both for eir sports. List of successful applicants here
    http://www.bai.ie/en/download/132087/

As I understand it, eir, like Setanta before them, is therefore obliged to issue, or arrange for the issue of, Sky box decryption cards to all who ask for one.

An official comment would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi ninja 12,

- Adam

- Adam
    What does 'inactive' mean?
    If, as it appears, you mean there is no current Sky subscription being paid, then I guess I must be imagining things when I watch eir sports on an 'inactive' Sky+HD box.

Else Adam you are misinforming people.

If eir has made a change to their eir sports offering, and are killing off reception of eir sports from Satellite without a Sky subscription, then please point to where that information is publicised.

- Adam

Sky boxes do not turn "inactive" . They can still be used for free channels without a viewing card  , but not Eir Sport  unless a viewing card is used , hence the reason I came here enquiring about a viewing card to access the channels being advertised to existing Eir Broadband customers .

Hi ninja 12,

- Adam

- Adam
    That's a load of hog wash but I think you know that already. I appreciate you are only replying from a script prepared by others but really and truly that script needs to reflect reality and truth.

Its very disappointing to ask a question or raise an issue here only to be answered in a disingenuous manner.

Do you really want me to post up photographic proof that what you have stated above is wrong? 

- Adam

Sky boxes do not turn "inactive" . They can still be used for free channels without a viewing card  , but not Eir Sport  unless a viewing card is used , hence the reason I came here enquiring about a viewing card to access the channels being advertised to existing Eir Broadband customers .
    Hi there,

I have been speaking with our eir Sport team about this and they should be able to send you out a viewing card if you give them a call on 0818203040. 

In regards to the number of devices you can register, we don't currently have any plans in place to increase. If changes are made to this, you will be notified and I will pass your feedback about this on to the relevant department. 

- Adam

Hi ninja 12,

- Adam

- Adam
    That's a load of hog wash but I think you know that already. I appreciate you are only replying from a script prepared by others but really and truly that script needs to reflect reality and truth.

Its very disappointing to ask a question or raise an issue here only to be answered in a disingenuous manner.

Do you really want me to post up photographic proof that what you have stated above is wrong? 
    Hi there,

I have been in touch with our eir Sport team about this. If you give them a ring on 0818203040, they should be able to arrange to have a viewing card sent out to you.

- Adam

For clarity I refer to the Sound & Vision 3 Broadcasting Funding Scheme - see
    http://scannain.com/irish/industry/sound-and-vision-funding-2017/

Checking through the applicants who have been offered funding I note numbers 104 and 107 which are both for eir sports. List of successful applicants here
    http://www.bai.ie/en/download/132087/

As I understand it, eir, like Setanta before them, is therefore obliged to issue, or arrange for the issue of, Sky box decryption cards to all who ask for one.

An official comment would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Hi Johnboy1951,

I have been speaking to our eir Sport department about this and they will be able to send you out a viewing card if you give them a call on 0818203040.

- Adam

• Advertisement

Nope ,

Just rang , was on hold for a few minutes .

Response came back - we can't arrange viewing cards .

Nope ,

Oh dear!

Doesnt surprise me though as individuals with Eir dont know what each other is doing or what policies they have in place

Nope ,

Can you PM me a mobile number for yourself please?

- Adam

Nope ,

- Adam
    Sent , thanks

Nope ,

- Adam
    Sent , thanks
    No problem.

- Adam

Nope ,

- Adam
    Sent , thanks
    No problem.

- Adam
    Viewing card is on it's way , thanks for your help .

:)

Hi ninja 12,

- Adam

It would be nice if you would now make a clear statement about the situation regarding eir issuing cards for Sky boxes, as it seems your more recent posts contradict the above.

It might help bring clarity to the situation for those who read this thread in the future.

Something simple would do ....... like an apology for the misinformation earlier in the thread and pointing people to the correct place to get a card.

Thank you.

Hi ninja 12,

- Adam

It would be nice if you would now make a clear statement about the situation regarding eir issuing cards for Sky boxes, as it seems your more recent posts contradict the above.

It might help bring clarity to the situation for those who read this thread in the future.

Something simple would do ....... like an apology for the misinformation earlier in the thread and pointing people to the correct place to get a card.

Thank you.
    Well , we now know that Eir can indeed arrange for viewing cards to be issued to broadband customers who do not have an active Sky card/account ( but do have access to a Sky box ).

A clear message with instructions on the Eir Sport page should be added ., and maybe a sticky at the top of the forum here .

Surely the easiest way of issuing cards to Eir customers would be to add an option on the Eir Sport registration page - the section where you can enter a viewing card number .

Something like -
    "Do you have a Sky account or viewing card ? "
    If no is selected add the option to have one posted to the customer .(one per customer , must be activated & tied to Eir account etc.)

Anyway , I spent the last while setting up my old Sky box , should have my card in 7-10 days ,  :)

Hope everyone else gets sorted :)

Just to add that this post by a Sky Rep clearly sets out Sky's policy on the matter which is that you DO NOT have to be a Sky subscriber to view Eir Sports and BT Sports on the Sky platform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

Nope ,

- Adam
    Sent , thanks
    No problem.

- Adam
    Adam, with FTTH installed, besides a fiber BB modem what other component will I be supplied with if I op for eirTV.  i.e do I get a set-top box or is my TV connected directly to the modem.    Your sales/call-centre people couldn't explain.... 

Advertisement