Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP: Need to transfer money to Brazilian and have no IBAN

• 18-07-2016 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of a pain in the hole this is. I'm heading to Rio for the Olympics in August and have booked an apartment for my time there. I booked it through Booking.com ages ago, but the owner contacted me today looking for me to pay now to secure the booking. She gave me all her personal details so she's not a scammer.

She's a bit backwards and doesn't have credit card facilities. So I need to pay by bank transfer, and she quoted the price to me in Brazilian Reals.

However, she didn't send me an IBAN, but rather a load of specific Brazilian banking info. I'm a bit paranoid using one of those online sites which calculate the IBAN based on the info I input, in case I get it wrong.

To make things more painful, she doesn't have any English, other than the obvious Google Translate stuff she has been sending me by email and whatsapp. She also doesn't seem to know what an IBAN is.

Can somebody please help me with this? I obviously won't post her personal details but I'll post the format. She has given me:

1) The name of the bank - Bradesco Bank 237
    2) An agency number which I assume is the branch - 4 digits
    3) The fact it's a current account
    4) Account number in this format - 002222-2 (6 digits with the first 2 being zeros, followed by a dash, then 1 more digit)
    5) Code Swifp (I assume she means Swift) - BBDEBRSPRJO, followed by "junction 4902" whatever the hell that means!

Also, I went onto my online banking for AIB and for international transfers they don't list Brazilian Real as one of their currencies. How can I get around that?

This is all a nuisance.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Brazilian banks don't use IBANs AFAIK. You may need to do this in your local branch, there should be a form you can fill in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Toots wrote: »
    Brazilian banks don't use IBANs AFAIK. You may need to do this in your local branch, there should be a form you can fill in.

According to this they do use IBANs now:

http://www.bcb.gov.br/Pom/Spb/Ing/IBAN-Guidelines_English.pdf

What I dont understand is that it says the account number is 10 digits, while the number she gave me is 7 digits.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hmmm, in that case I'd get back on to her and tell her that you need an IBAN and a SWIFT (that swifp thing she mentioned is the swift code) so tell her that in order for you to send the money from Ireland she has to have an IBAN. Before you contact her, I'd recommend getting in touch with AIB and checking that they'll do the transfer in Brazilian Real. Sometimes not all the currencies are listed on the online banking transfer page, but if you go into the branch they may be able to do it for you. If they don't do Real, they'll be able to tell you the best currency to send instead (possibly USD) but it would be best to know that before contacting her, that way you can make her aware of that if you need to, and ask her if it's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Should you not be paying booking.com? Or is that an option? I am not sure about sending money like the way you are talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

+1 Scousemouse.................Only pay through booking.com otherwise forget her and find something else. You probably wont see your money or accommodation. Plenty of cases of booking.com people getting stung by paying direct to the owner you have no comeback unless you pay Booking.com direct

• Advertisement
Advertisement