Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swimming around limerick

• 18-07-2016 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

weather is fine, is there anywhere suitable to go swimmng in the vicinity of limerick, where the water isn't too deep mind.

Is there any place suitable out around killaloe or castleconnel even ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Salt water swimming at Beagh Castle or Ringmoylan but both dependant on tides.

Fresh water swimming in Dromore Lake.

I think there's an outdoor pool in Ballina, also I've seen people swim in tge lake nearby.

I've seen people swim in the canal between the Head Race and the Tail Race, ESB discurages it.

I assume you can swim in the Shannon at Castelconnell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

phog wrote: »

I've seen people swim in the canal between the Head Race and the Tail Race, ESB discurages it.

It is discouraged for a reason. It is extremely dangerous. Came upon the scene of that 16 year old that drowned at Ardnacrusha bridge not so long ago. Awful scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Lahinch is only an hour away by car. It's pretty doable, and beats the more local swimming spots. Headed out there after work yesterday myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe too late now as the day's almost over, but Ballycuggeran near Killaloe is a decent spot, and there are often plenty of people in the water. Shallow too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

osarusan wrote: »
    Maybe too late now as the day's almost over, but Ballycuggeran near Killaloe is a decent spot, and there are often plenty of people in the water. Shallow too.

I like Ballycuggeran for kids - they have lifeguards etc.

Bleach Lough/Dromore lake is nice but you need to hike down to the lake from the fisherman's car park.

Ardnacrusha is not that dangerous if you are a good swimmer & sensible. There is a current with the turbines on put if you are upstream of the bride and stay close to the edge its ok.

There is World's End in Castleconnell.

Glin Pier another option.

Failing this 1.5 hours will get you Spanish Point/Lahinch or Beale/Ballybunnion.

I swam in Lough Gur a couple of years but it was making me sick. I think its the nitrogen levels from the surrounding farmland fertilizer.

wingnut wrote: »
    Ardnacrusha is not that dangerous if you are a good swimmer & sensible. There is a current with the turbines on put if you are upstream of the bride and stay close to the edge its ok.

Swimming is forbidden there and with good reason. What one person thinks is a good swimmer can be very different to another.

It is just irresponsible to be even suggesting swimming there, no matter how good a swimmer someone is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

wingnut wrote: »
    ....Failing this 1.5 hours will get you Spanish Point/Lahinch or Beale/Ballybunnion.....

Limerick to Lahinch is easily done in under an hour I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Swimming is forbidden there and with good reason. What one person thinks is a good swimmer can be very different to another.

It is just irresponsible to be even suggesting swimming there, no matter how good a swimmer someone is.

water is dangerous and should always be treated as so , but 1 accident doesn't make it anymore or less dangerous than any other place. it was a horrible tragic accident I'm sure, I know people have been swimming there for 30+ years probably even longer without issues and it was a nice spot to go for a dip. but if the op is looking for somewhere that's not too deep the canal is not the place for them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Yeah, I'd steer clear of the head race and tail race. It's just too risky.

A good option which hasn't been mentioned is Doonass. If you go out by Clonlara and go to the Angler's Rest pub, and follow the track upriver from there, there's some nice natural pools in the river. You can also access it from Castleconnell by crossing the military bridge and walking downriver for maybe a kilometre.

Actually, Clare Glens can be nice too, but the water levels may be very low.

• Advertisement

geotrig wrote: »
    water is dangerous and should always be treated as so , but 1 accident doesn't make it anymore or less dangerous than any other place. it was a horrible tragic accident I'm sure, I know people have been swimming there for 30+ years probably even longer without issues and it was a nice spot to go for a dip. but if the op is looking for somewhere that's not too deep the canal is not the place for them .

Its not just one accident though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Poor man Kilkee is a great spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Its not just one accident though.

?

I'm guessing most waterways would have some accidents associated with them so I'm not sure what your point is . all water activities should be approached with caution even if you deem them "safe"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Head race at Clonlara, footbridge at Castleconnell, Ardclooney at the Killaloe side of Parteen Weir.

geotrig wrote: »
    ?

I'm guessing most waterways would have some accidents associated with them so I'm not sure what your point is . all water activities should be approached with caution even if you deem them "safe"

True but when the area in question has signs saying swimming prohibited people should obey them instead of thinking they know better resulting in accidents and having to call out the emergency services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

The Pier Head in Killaloe is a great spot for swimming in the Summer.

Advertisement