Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Holiers back then

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

It wasn't much better when I went there as a kid 40 years ago :D

Oh, god the food was terrible!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've fond memories of mosney in the seventies
    That said I grew up across from portlaoise prison so I'd low expectations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Steve wrote: »
    It wasn't much better when I went there as a kid 40 years ago :D

Oh, god the food was terrible!!

Very true, my mam got food poisoning there. She wouldn't complain. That was in the days when you took everything on the chin. :(
    Stheno wrote: »
    I've fond memories of mosney in the seventies
    That said I grew up across from portlaoise prison so I'd low expectations :)

We went twice. It was very exciting for me as we never had any experience of going away for holidays back then except for these two times to Mosney. Kids today have been all over the world. They don't know they're born!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Butlin's at Mosney? R.I.P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ5MlHg5y2s
    N.B. Should Holiers have two L's?

Yep, unless you mean something holy :D

Holliers seems right to me.

Never did go to Butlin's, but spent my youthful Summers either on a farm or at a beach.
    Looking back they seem like very good times ....... I wonder if I thought so back then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Never went to Butlins - mother said it was common :)
    Spent summers in Wexford in a caravan or Bettystown or Donabate - not common at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just watched the video ........ the site must be worth a few bob, but it would cost an absolute fortune to dispose of all that asbestos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

...all that asbestos......shudders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The holliers of my childhood were on the east coast of northern England - our nearest coast. Scarborough, Skegness, Bridlington and Cleethorpes. Some of the coldest, windiest coastline in England! We would have a week in a caravan or occasionally a 'chalet'. One chalet I remember was not much more than a garden shed, I remember sleeping in a top bunk a few inches from the wooden ceiling :)

Contrary to the - apparently - usual childhood memories of sunshine, I have no memories of anything other than rain, and perishing cold rain at that. Though I do recall dashing out of the sea after a swim, blue with cold but not really concerned or surprised about it. My younger sister and I would be bought comics and colouring books to keep us occupied, and we would sometimes go and put pennies in the slot machines - the only time in the year this happened. You could keep going with a shillings worth of pennies for quite a long time, till it was finally all gone. I remember one holiday when mum won a teaset - no idea what she was playing - it was very exotic as it was quite a nice shape and each set of the six sets of cup saucer and plate were a different, quite attractive colour. Very swish in the '50s.

One year we went by train - maybe more but I only remember one - a steam train with the carriages that had leather straps to let down the windows, and two small pictures of scenery above the opposite seat. We had squashy tomato sandwiches - I always thought of them as 'train sandwiches' after that. Other times we went in the sidecar of my dad's motorbike. I don't recall anymore than one suitcase for the four of us, dad wore his 'good suit' for the week so all he needed was a couple of shirts - he would throw caution to the wind and dispense with his tie, on the beach.

Our parents would hire a couple of deckchairs and we would be bought a tin bucket and a spade with a wooden handle - different colours to prevent arguments! Oh, and little glass dishes of cooked shrimps from a stand on the prom. You had to give back the dish. There were cockles and mussels as well, but I didn't like them. I'm sure there were other special holiday treat foods, but I cannot quite recall them. An icecream wafer sandwich was one - when did cones become popular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This probably sounds like something from Monty Python but we never had a holiday as kids. My first holiday was the year after I started working. We borrowed a car and went to the beach once a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

This probably sounds like something from Monty Python

That'll never get old :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lol. My post sounds a bit Monty Python-ish but it really is just bits of memory. I presume, in spite of everything that I enjoyed the holidays, I just don't remember! Certainly our parents made the effort to make it enjoyable for all of us.

Some of ye here were very posh indeed! Butlin's was common because it was common for the poorer of us working classes to go there for our holliers. :p After two holidays in Butlin's as a child I didn't have another holiday for many years, until after I was married in fact. No, not even a honeymoon! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Some of ye here were very posh indeed! Butlin's was common because it was common for the poorer of us working classes to go there for our holliers. :p After two holidays in Butlin's as a child I didn't have another holiday for many years, until after I was married in fact. No, not even a honeymoon! :(

we went on day trips but there was no way the mother was staying! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Day trips to the beach, complete with sandy egg sandwiches, soggy tomato sandwiches, iced tea cakes (my sister loved to bake) and warm diluted miwadi. This up until a school trip to France in the early 80s then nothing until my honeymoon.

However, I'm now sipping a tall cold one on a nice verandah overlooking the boats and yachts in Amalfi.

We had picnics in Fairview Park. Sambos, and tea made on a primus stove. Looking back now it was a lot of trouble to make the tea, hauling the equipment there and back on the bus, light the stove, boil the water in God knows what, a kettle, a pot, I can't remember. Maybe she made the tea in the kettle! It would have been easier sense to just give us a fizzy drink, though Mam and Dad would have preferred tea I suppose. Sambos were probably eggy!

Advertisement