Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keratosis Pilaris or 'Chicken Skin'

Options
  • 19-07-2016 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with the above? Ive had this on my upper arms since my teens, so about 10 years now at this stage and would really like it to just be gone!

Ive tried exfoliating and using the E45 and Savlon creams on it but they dont work. Maybe im not using them enough? Im not flushed with cash and dont know much about creams and lotions to start buying loads of them and trying them all, only for them to fail.

Its recently started to appear on my lower arms and I want to tackle this before it gets any worse! To be honest im really embarassed by it, it makes me feel like it looks like I dont shower often enough and have dirty skin! :o

So, after yet another lovely summer of feeling crap about myself, and all the unecessary sweating by wearing long sleeves on the hottest day of the year, I would love to hear if anyone has any tips or specific potions I could use to get rid of this once and for all!

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Eucerin with 10% Urea is brilliant for KP or any lotion containing Urea. Key is to apply daily and even when you think it's gone to keep applying so it doesn't return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I remember seeing a dermatologist about something else and she saw my arms and just said "circulation!" - It's nowhere near as bad as it was but I've never found anything to clear it up

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Scraggs wrote: »
    Eucerin with 10% Urea is brilliant for KP or any lotion containing Urea. Key is to apply daily and even when you think it's gone to keep applying so it doesn't return!

Thank you :) I'll definitely have a look into this

I remember seeing a dermatologist about something else and she saw my arms and just said "circulation!" - It's nowhere near as bad as it was but I've never found anything to clear it up

So it cleared up somewhat for you by using circulation techniques? Thats interesting, I must Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I exfoliate every day with exfoliating shower gloves and a gentle shower gel. Then I try use lotion regularly, garnier 7 days (for very dry skin) works really well. It's barely noticeable now!

Also I think sunlight/fresh air helps so try expose your skin when you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Wexy86

Scraggs wrote: »
    Eucerin with 10% Urea is brilliant for KP or any lotion containing Urea.

I second Scraggs - only thing I found to help was urea based products, no matter much exfoliation was done it never cleared up for me. Urea all the way.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your answers!
    It seems the bumps are a little bit deeper under the skin for exfoliating to work on me, also seems to be a bit of reddish scarring in places from it too. :(

Il definitely try the Eucerin and have a look out for Urea based products too, thanks ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Have had it on my arms and legs for as long as I can remember and what has worked best for me was body brushing and coconut oil. Body brush before a shower, put on the oil for 5-10 minutes and then wash it off in the shower. As someone else said, it's important to keep up the routine even if it seems to have cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Get something with Glycolic Acid, like Neostrata products. That always works best for me! I use the Glycolic Wash in the shower every few weeks, let it sit for a few minutes then rinse it off. If you're at all sensitive, patch test for a short amount of time, and then you can build it up.

Like someone else mentioned, I've always found it clears up very well after I've been out in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Silcox base (cheaps, in most chemists, Boots etc.) instead of shower gel, and sun exposure -as recommended by dermatologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Silcocks base works!!!! Reminder to self to start on it again!

• Advertisement

Heres me dreading the sun because I had to cover up, when I should be stripping off instead!! :p

Thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    Heres me dreading the sun because I had to cover up, when I should be stripping off instead!! :p

Thank you all
    Cutie don't know whether or not you have come across this article, but just in case you haven't here is the link:http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-disorders/_/get-rid-of-kp-keratosis-pilaris

I havent read that article before no, its very helpful though, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    I havent read that article before no, its very helpful though, thank you :)

If you Google Keratosis Pilaris or 'Chicken Skin' an NHS one will pop up as well as a couple of other ones. I would check with your GP first before doing anything. One oil that might be helpful, but again check it first, is vit E oil read: http://www.livestrong.com/article/25515-benefits-vitamin-e-oil-skin/ I use it everyday after applying my Monsia night repair cream it locks-in moisture and in the morning my skin still feels "elastic".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've had this for as long as I can remember. Sun exposure works best for me, it's barely noticeable at the moment, much worse during the winter. I've tried several urea products over the years and tbh they didn't do much for me. I moisturise regularly, like at least once a day.

Advertisement