Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasers/their bank likely to have financial impact on us

Options
  • 19-07-2016 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi,
    We were all geared up to move on Wed 13th July. Had removals company lined up.
    Then there was a glitch on the purchaser's side so it's looking like closing date will be on Thu 21st July.
    However removals company are now booked out until Thu 28th July.
    We've looked at other alternatives but they are €400 more expensive.
    I'm ringing our solicitor later but I feel the purchaser's should absorb some if not all of this.

Jos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Why not just wait till the 28th..

Can't see why anyone else would be liable for your moving costs..

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭jos_kel

Swanner wrote: »
    Why not just wait till the 28th..

Can't see why anyone else would be liable for your moving costs..

Yeah the vendors on our side won't be happy though.
    Certainly we shouldn't pay €400 extra when we had our i's dotted and t's crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You can try and negotiate with the other side, potentially using the nuclear option of saying you're not going ahead with the sale etc. but is it worth it over €400? The other side's solicitor will no doubt be advising their side that the possibility of that is nil.

Assuming you get the €400 off your purchasers how much will your vendor be looking for from you?

Buying houses in Ireland is a broken joke, it needs radical reform, until then we're all stuck with these stupid annoyances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I don't think you're going to get anywhere with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I don't think you're going to get anywhere with this.

Me either these things happens when moving or involved in a sale if I was the person you were buying the house from I most definitely would not be paying your removal van costs.

There are plenty of companies that do removals around just shop around and try someone else.

• Advertisement

Angel2016 wrote: »
    Me either these things happens when moving or involved in a sale if I was the person you were buying the house from I most definitely would not be paying your removal van costs.

There are plenty of companies that do removals around just shop around and try someone else.

I was so diligent with this and then looks like we're being stung for €400 at short notice.
    Not enough time to shop around.
    I told solicitor we'll just wait until 28th.
    He said he would be advising against that.
    Are we not a client of his? I think he just wants to close to suit himself.
    My manager who's English said Irish solicitors are generally inept and can't handle chains.
    Let me hasten to add this was overheard by me not in relation to this specific case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

jos_kel wrote: »
    I was so diligent with this and then looks like we're being stung for €400 at short notice.
    My manager who's English said Irish solicitors are generally inept and can't handle chains.
    Let me hasten to add this was overheard by me not in relation to this specific case.

I've dealt with plenty of solicitors I am in Dublin and have to say the ones I have used are great I am in the process of a sale of my apartment at present and my solicitor is very helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to chains.
    I don't think you have any choice but to wait until the 28th unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I may have misread this, but if you're the people selling, why not move your stuff earlier to your new place?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

There is a bank holiday next week and a lot of people would be on holidays do I would try to close on the 21St then get your movers on the 28th when it suits. I wouldn't mess with th closing date. I can see no benefit in doing so beyond being awkward for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

a glitch on the purchaser's side

So you are selling this house, but you cant move out till the new buyer completes???

You have known for nearly a week (if not more) and that was not enough time to "shop around" for a new moving company?

Sounds like you wanted someone else to foot the bill and save you a tiny bit of effort.

• Advertisement

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I may have misread this, but if you're the people selling, why not move your stuff earlier to your new place?

Because vendor of new house is not releasing keys.

Angel2016 wrote: »
    I've dealt with plenty of solicitors I am in Dublin and have to say the ones I have used are great I am in the process of a sale of my apartment at present and my solicitor is very helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to chains.
    I don't think you have any choice but to wait until the 28th unfortunately.

Yeah but solicitor advises against it.
    Just to give you an idea this same solicitor furnished me with a financial memo with basic errors and was 80k incorrect

Senna wrote: »
    So you are selling this house, but you cant move out till the new buyer completes???

You have known for nearly a week (if not more) and that was not enough time to "shop around" for a new moving company?

Sounds like you wanted someone else to foot the bill and save you a tiny bit of effort.

Was meant to close on Friday. That's 2 working days. You make it sound like a full week.
    Let's be clear, it is the purchaser's lack of preparedness that is impacting us but hey this is Ireland I suppose.
    Penalise the organised

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Chains completely fall part all the time in every country in the world, yours has been delayed by a week, but keep blaming the whole country if it makes you feel better.

Chains completely fall part all the time in every country in the world, yours has been delayed by a week, but keep blaming the whole country if it makes you feel better.

You're absolutely right I should have been more specific.

Originally closing date was 13th July so we had something to work with and duly lined up removals company for that date.
    Now as a result of issues on the purchaser's side the closing date is a moving target.
    I've rang removals companies and they're all asking when is the closing date. One even said you will get a few days to sort it out when closing date is known.
    However our solicitor (as in the person we're paying a fee for services) told me in no uncertain terms yesterday that when he has the funds he's closing date. He said moving is our problem.
    Of course he has a point.
    But common sense needs to prevail. We need time once we have a definite closing date and ideally not to be out of pocket as a result of other people's action.
    The is nothing more uncommon than common sense, it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

So becaus of your vendors mistake, you want to push out the date to your buyers even further to save yourself a few quid?

There's lots of things that can cause delays when in a chain like this. Go the earliest date you can, or you risk further issues.
    And no, the vendor owes you nothing for this. They are not responsible for your moving costs.

So becaus of your vendors mistake, you want to push out the date to your buyers even further to save yourself a few quid?

There's lots of things that can cause delays when in a chain like this. Go the earliest date you can, or you risk further issues.
    And no, the vendor owes you nothing for this. They are not responsible for your moving costs.

Hmm originally when the closing date was fixed I lined up a removals company.
    Now through no fault of our own the closing date is now a moving target.
    Even a removal company I rang yesterday said you are generally give some time after closing to get organised and arrange for removals. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Hmm originally when the closing date was fixed I lined up a removals company.
    Now through no fault of our own the closing date is now a moving target.
    Even a removal company I rang yesterday said you are generally give some time after closing to get organised and arrange for removals. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Our worst fears have been realised. The very scenario we done our best to reason with the solicitor.
    Yesterday as requested I paid money into his account.
    Yesterday he advised he would transfer the funds into vendor solicitor account and close sale once money arrived into account.
    As our solicitor had no interest in our removal arrangements, which I guess is his privelege, we organised a removal company for today.
    The vendors solicitor was uncontactable after 4pm by phone so now we are in a hotel and have to pay for storage and get another removal and pay on the double.
    I emailed our solicitor suggesting that if it turns out that the funds were in the vendors solicitors account by 4 or 5 today, then house was legally ours and they should be liable for extra expenses incurred.
    As usual he's very blunt and said we should have used common sense and not moved. This despite our attempts to liaise with him to avoid this scenario and if the sale did go through we would have been blamed for not being ready to move.
    Surely there is some legal comeback on this

I don't think your solicitor or anyone else is liable at all. Nobody forced you to get the removal vans in or to put your stuff in storage. You shouldn't do any of that until you've got the keys in your hand.

• Advertisement

I don't think your solicitor or anyone else is liable at all. Nobody forced you to get the removal vans in or to put your stuff in storage. You shouldn't do any of that until you've got the keys in your hand.

So yesterday I done an interbank transfer at 9 and it hit my solicitor account at 4.
    If it hit vendors solicitor account at 4 was house not legally ours. Silly me

So yesterday I done an interbank transfer at 9 and it hit my solicitor account at 4.
    If it hit vendors solicitor account at 4 was house not legally ours. Silly me

Did you have the keys?

Did you have the keys?

No. The key question I want advice on is ...... If the funds hit the vendors solicitor account at 4 or 5
    A. Is the house legally hours?
    B. Due to the vendor solicitor being uncontactable and not letting us know, would they be liable to expenses incurred by us.

Someone said I was blaming everyone else. Nonsense. I'm looking for guidance

None of that really matters. If you didn't have the keys you shouldn't have started moving your belongings unless you were planning on breaking the lock.

You knew there was delays but yet you still went ahead and arranged for removals.

I think it's pretty obvious you're looking for someone to pay for your removals or reimburse you for them. It's not going to happen.

Some one is liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

I presume you were keen to move in to avoid paying another months rent,
    what you did was just daft, your solicitor thinks so , and I think anyone would agree with him
    no they aren't liable, and you seem to be looking for people to agree with you rather than guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I moved last year & was involved in a chain. We needed the funds from our sale to buy & our vendors needed the proceeds to buy their next house. There were three houses & four couples & four solicitors involved

I felt our solicitor was totally looking out for our interests all the way through. Reading through the OP's posts it doesn't sound like their solicitor was actually all that concerned about them or what happened on moving day.

I'm quite sure it was stressful for the OP, although I'm not sure what comeback there is. I reckon you need to try & get over the stress & the blame & move in & enjoy the new home. Don't mind all the people saying "tough".

Some one is liable.

Who?

Who?

You. :pac:

• Advertisement

Joking aside you can try and go after the vendor if they did not meet the agreed closing date but I believe you'll have a very hard time of getting anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement