Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Power/Betfair Merger Staff Uncertainty

• 19-07-2016 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping this is in the right thread. I've been working in IT marketing for the last 6 years and have a very comfortable job (but have been slightly bored). I've tried for Paddy Power a few times down the years and now have a job opportunity but apparently since the merger (which apparently is more of a takeover) staff morale is at an all time low, constant staff turnover, alot of people let go etc. I'm very worried that it's now too risky of an environment to enter. I'm getting married next Summer and would hate to make the wrong decision at this stage.

Any advice or feedback would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Being perfectly honest - working in grey industries is always risky. That includes bookies, poker sites, etc. I've worked for a payday lender before and known many people who've worked for full tilt and rational poker. Governments are always trying to regulate these activities as heavily as they can, and the company is always struggling to keep its reputation above water, so things change a lot, and they change fast. And the rug can be pulled out from underneath the company literally overnight - full tilt pokers's CEO got arrested and the entire company stopped trading overnight.

But that also brings a lot of technical challenges, lots of new things to work on, and as a result your colleagues are usually very energetic and driven people.

From what I've heard with the merger, there's something of a divide in teh company - some areas are untouched by the merger and people are happy, other areas have been ripped asunder and people are understandably sour. Mergers generally don't happen because companies are in trouble, and if they're hiring "soft" positions like marketing then they're probably doing OK.

You're not even married so I'm assuming you don't have kids - this is the time when you can afford to take risks. Take the risks early in your career; worst case scenario you're job hunting again in a years' time. When you have children and a mortgage to service, the scope for risk taking massively reduces. Working with risky companies like betting companies is a great way to quickly expand your experience and will stand to you in future years. Whatever the general public may think about these companies, future employers often hold the staff in high regard, and Paddy Power is one of these.

This is also where LinkedIn might actually be of use to you; If you know anyone who works in PP or who has a friend who works there, see if you can meet them for coffee some day. Find out what they think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

FWIW, having just spoken to a developer who was made redundant, there are more rounds to go yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

seamus wrote: »
    Being perfectly honest - working in grey industries is always risky. That includes bookies, poker sites, etc. I've worked for a payday lender before and known many people who've worked for full tilt and rational poker. Governments are always trying to regulate these activities as heavily as they can, and the company is always struggling to keep its reputation above water, so things change a lot, and they change fast. And the rug can be pulled out from underneath the company literally overnight - full tilt pokers's CEO got arrested and the entire company stopped trading overnight.

But that also brings a lot of technical challenges, lots of new things to work on, and as a result your colleagues are usually very energetic and driven people.

From what I've heard with the merger, there's something of a divide in teh company - some areas are untouched by the merger and people are happy, other areas have been ripped asunder and people are understandably sour. Mergers generally don't happen because companies are in trouble, and if they're hiring "soft" positions like marketing then they're probably doing OK.

You're not even married so I'm assuming you don't have kids - this is the time when you can afford to take risks. Take the risks early in your career; worst case scenario you're job hunting again in a years' time. When you have children and a mortgage to service, the scope for risk taking massively reduces. Working with risky companies like betting companies is a great way to quickly expand your experience and will stand to you in future years. Whatever the general public may think about these companies, future employers often hold the staff in high regard, and Paddy Power is one of these.

This is also where LinkedIn might actually be of use to you; If you know anyone who works in PP or who has a friend who works there, see if you can meet them for coffee some day. Find out what they think.

Dont see how they are risky unlikely to go bankrupt. As for the poster take a risk like why would you stay in a boring job if it goes wrong big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

audi12 wrote: »
    Dont see how they are risky unlikely to go bankrupt. As for the poster take a risk like why would you stay in a boring job if it goes wrong big deal.
    Like I say, grey industries are always being watched. It's not even about the company going bankrupt, but changes in regulation, that can quickly require the company to "adjust" its workforce and approach to compensate.

Let's say, for example, that PaddyPower does most of its business in the UK. And that as part of the whole Brexit negotiations comes with it massive and punitive taxes on gambling between the UK and the EU.

PP would have to massively adjust its Irish presence and move many operations to the UK, just to keep their head above water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

seamus wrote: »
    Like I say, grey industries are always being watched. It's not even about the company going bankrupt, but changes in regulation, that can quickly require the company to "adjust" its workforce and approach to compensate.

Let's say, for example, that PaddyPower does most of its business in the UK. And that as part of the whole Brexit negotiations comes with it massive and punitive taxes on gambling between the UK and the EU.

PP would have to massively adjust its Irish presence and move many operations to the UK, just to keep their head above water.
    worst comes to worst get a new job this phobia about being a week without a job in this country is pathetic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement