Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An insurance question

Options
  • 19-07-2016 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Could I have your thoughts On the following please.
    A lad I know had a car that he was registered owner of and insured fully comp with his wife as named driver.
    His wife had a car that's she was registered owner of and insured fully comp with him as named driver.
    They decided to change the wife's car as it was older.
    But he gave his car to his wife and they traded in her car for a new one which he registered himself as owner.
    So he is the owner of the two cars.his wife has insurance an a car that she isn't the registered owner of.
    He is maintaining that all is okay for them to drive each other's cars because of the named driver aspect.
    I am wondering is that true and even is her insurance policy valid because she does not own the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

shovel wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Could I have your thoughts On the following please.
    A lad I know had a car that he was registered owner of and insured fully comp with his wife as named driver.
    His wife had a car that's she was registered owner of and insured fully comp with him as named driver.
    They decided to change the wife's car as it was older.
    But he gave his car to his wife and they traded in her car for a new one which he registered himself as owner.
    So he is the owner of the two cars.his wife has insurance an a car that she isn't the registered owner of.
    He is maintaining that all is okay for them to drive each other's cars because of the named driver aspect.
    I am wondering is that true and even is her insurance policy valid because she does not own the car.

It doesn't matter who the car is registered to if they are married.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

She would have had to communicate with her insurance company that her original car had been disposed of and that she had a new car!
    Question is did she declare she was now the owner of his old car?
    AFAIK I couldn't have an insurance policy on a vehicle I don't own or at least have some "interest" in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They're fine. Both our cars are in my wife's name but I'm the insured on one, her the other, each named on the opposite policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I managed to get my partner insured as a main driver on my registered car. We were living together but not married. Did it all through Axa's website and all options were there. Shopped around and as Axa were among the cheapest, I rang them to check a few things out. Was told I couldn't do it, no way. Eventually got talking to a manager and I had to actually get her to go through the steps on the website so she could see for herself that I could take a policy out online without ringing and whilst fully disclosing all the information and they would have had to honour the agreement as everything was above board and all made in good faith. She gave me the policy over the phone there & then as I had wanted.

So what I learned is that some strange **** can and does happen in the insurance industry and your friend might well be correct. However he should make sure he has all his t's crossed and i's dotted so to speak in case of an accident. To save the future hassle I ended just putting the car in her name and leaving it with her as owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

Thanks for all the replies.looks like he is okay so.
    I just wasn't sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Yawns wrote: »
    Eventually got talking to a manager and I had to actually get her to go through the steps on the website so she could see for herself that I could take a policy out online without ringing and whilst fully disclosing all the information and they would have had to honour the agreement as everything was above board and all made in good faith. She gave me the policy over the phone there & then as I had wanted.

If anyone avails of this feature, make sure you have a copy of the Statement of Fact stored safely in in case you ever need to produce it in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

There is a question slot on near all insurance car policies to verify who the car is registered to.

For example,
    My policy but car is registered in wife's name, I confirm she initial owned car but upgrade to new car, I was given same car and once same is explained to insurer then all ok.

Only in cases, where car is belonging to yourself and partner/spouse will this work. Cars belonging other people need to covered by them. 'What's yours are mine and mine are my own' as herself says

Advertisement