Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon vs Clare, Pearse Stadium Saturday 23rd

Options
  • 19-07-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I just noticed that the football has qualifier has been fixed for pearse stadium this Saturday at 3pm . Surely this is lunacy taking into account the time of year and arts festival . Even though you may only get a crowd of 10000 it will bring the city to a standstill for a few hours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes. Lunacy. Get Away with Anything strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Only neutral ground available as Tullamore is hosting another match and any other grounds would inconvenience one or the other set of supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Should have been Tuam easier to get to for both sets of fans and saves them coming into the city.

Think of all the extra icecream that will be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Should have been Tuam easier to get to for both sets of fans and saves them coming into the city.

Tuam hasn't been used for Championship clashes for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This is insanity. The traffic as a result of the bog ball game last Sunday was a complete disaster and locked the city down from hours. I live 5 mins from the stadium and it was almost impossible to get home, the amount of brain dead muck savages that parked illegally on Maunsell's Road meant there was no room for busses or trucks to get through. Illegal parking is chronic every time there's a game in the stadium, the guards just turn a blind eye to it and the GAA want nothing to do with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

There should be a traffic management plan in this and other big games, similar to the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Yes there should be a traffic management plan, there should be sufficient parking, there should be park and ride facilities...all part of the planning permission for the stadium. But you know, it's the GAA, amateur organisation. City council turn a blind eye, cops turn a blind eye, the result is the traffic chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sconsey wrote: »
    Yes there should be a traffic management plan, there should be sufficient parking, there should be park and ride facilities...all part of the planning permission for the stadium. But you know, it's the GAA, amateur organisation. City council turn a blind eye, cops turn a blind eye, the result is the traffic chaos.

Can I try re-phrasing that for you?

There is a traffic management plan, there is sufficient parking, there are park and ride facilities. This was all part of the planning permission for the stadium.

But there's no implementation of the plan. And no consequences for the continued lack of implementation. Because .. it's the Get Away with Anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

Looking forward to this game. Clare will give the Rossies a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks for the heads up OP, I'll stay away from the city centre Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

flazio wrote: »
    Tuam hasn't been used for Championship clashes for years.

Not for Galway. And even more reason for it to be used. There's little chance Pearce studium will be full.

And getting to Salthill is a nightmare. Add in the fact there are students in Connemara and I think it's visit weekend and the arts festival Galway is gonna be a carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Not for Galway. And even more reason for it to be used. There's little chance Pearce studium will be full.

And getting to Salthill is a nightmare. Add in the fact there are students in Connemara and I think it's visit weekend and the arts festival Galway is gonna be a carpark

Due to health and safety changes Tuam is no longer a viable option for Inter County Gaa games. It's seriously lacking in facilities. Good for businesses in around Salthill. Last Sunday week was the only Gaa Championship game they would of got all summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Yeah Tuam needs upgrading and there is a plan in place to achieve that but it will take time and more fundraising.

This is a novel pairing and I might well go myself. I am not sure you will get 10,000 at this though. Roscommon have been to Pearse and McHale already over the past 2 weeks. I'd be thinking ~5,000 depending on weather. You never know with those mad Clare people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭spurshero

Jesus people never stop moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

spurshero wrote: »

When there's cars abandoned illegally and dangerously yet the parking spaces in St Endas which cost just a fiver are half empty, you can hardly blame people

Jesus, you are moaning about people moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

County fordners comin' over here and taking all our stadiums

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Jesus, you are moaning about people moaning

Well you actually just moaned about people moaning about people moaning.

Well you actually just moaned about people moaning about people moaning.

True, but I was an original moaner, so my moaner status has not changed. Are you moaning about my moaning? :p

• Advertisement

?Cee?view wrote:
    When there's cars abandoned illegally and dangerously yet the parking spaces in St Endas which cost just a fiver are half empty, you can hardly blame people

Problems caused around matches in salthill usually occur with pretty big crowds. Twenty thousand plus. This game will have nothing like that so I would think it would have little impact on traffic. Galway played Derry last year on the Saturday of the Arts Festival (Kodaline played that evening) and it had minimal affect on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

Galwayps wrote: »
    I just noticed that the football has qualifier has been fixed for pearse stadium this Saturday at 3pm . Surely this is lunacy taking into account the time of year and arts festival . Even though you may only get a crowd of 10000 it will bring the city to a standstill for a few hours
    This match will attract tops 5,000.

In regards to parking, until the Guards enforce the rules people will continue to park illegally, there is very little the GAA can do about that.

It doesn't say much for Galway City that it can't host an event of this size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭spurshero

thebackbar wrote: »
    This match will attract tops 5,000.

In regards to parking, until the Guards enforce the rules people will continue to park illegally, there is very little the GAA can do about that.

It doesn't say much for Galway City that it can't host an event of this size.

It can host it no problem . Anything that brings a few thousand to the city is s good thing

It can host it no problem .

Ehhh no it can't, not if there is a big crowd. Based on the traffic problems of the last big match and all other previous big matches. What are you basing your statement on?

Anything that brings a few thousand to the city is s good thing.

I disagree.

Ehhh no it can't, not if there is a big crowd. Based on the traffic problems of the last big match and all other previous big matches. What are you basing your statement on?

Big if.

Connacht championship matches involving Galway draw big crowds. This is a qualifier.

OP suggested 10,000. I think that's too high. Myself and others have suggested 5000 or less. In comparison, there were 25,000 at the Galway-Roscommon game and it was an awful wet day.

Galway will survive.

Sconsey wrote:

Traffic leaving every stadium after you have a big crowd is the same. I've been an hour in traffic leaving Castlebar, Thurles, Semple Stadium. It's not a new phenomenon. If you dump twenty or thirty thousand people on a city/town on any given day it will struggle to get people around.

I think people are overreacting here.
    How many Championship games are played in Salthill each summer?
    Complete guess work, would make me say <5
    Thats 5 days of poor traffic, but a whole lot of money brought into the area.

Whats worse, 5 days of Sunday traffic jams vs boarded up shops?
    We deal with horrific traffic in Galway anyway, so it's not something new. Took me an age to get home last night. Should we complain about the Arts Festival, and the sun?

Galway just got named the European City of Culture. We need to be hosting more events, not complaining about the events that we host.

If the major problem people have, is the parking system, well complaints should be made to councilors, guards, etc.
    If people aren't using the car parks, we should be questioning the pricing structure.
    Someone said it's €5 to park in Endas, and it's only half full. Maybe the prices needed to be lowered

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

I think people are overreacting here.
    How many Championship games are played in Salthill each summer?
    Complete guess work, would make me say <5
    Thats 5 days of poor traffic, but a whole lot of money brought into the area.

It varies but 5 is way out there. Last year there were 2. None in 2014 (well no football, I have a feeling there may have been one hurling match). Looks like this year will be 2 only.

It varies but 5 is way out there. Last year there were 2. None in 2014 (well no football, I have a feeling there may have been one hurling match). Looks like this year will be 2 only.

2013 was exceptional with 4 football games. Galway lost to Mayo in Salthill in 1st round and then were lucky enough to get 3 qualifiers at home (Tipp, Waterford, Armagh). The attendances for those qualifier games were very low.

• Advertisement

Traffic leaving every stadium after you have a big crowd is the same. I've been an hour in traffic leaving Castlebar, Thurles, Semple Stadium. It's not a new phenomenon. If you dump twenty or thirty thousand people on a city/town on any given day it will struggle to get people around.
    It's still a problem though when the authorities do feck all to address the problem. I'd say there were a lot of Rossies that spent way more than one hour trying to get of Galway the other day. Pearse stadium seems to be becoming notorious among GAA fans as a sh1te location.
    <snip>I think people are overreacting here.
    Whats worse, 5 days of Sunday traffic jams vs boarded up shops?
    I think you are making some fairly huge leaps in your reasoning if you think no game implies shops close down.
    <snip>
    If the major problem people have, is the parking system, well complaints should be made to councilors, guards, etc.
    Halleluah! that's the problem I have (probably same as most of the 'moaners'), I have complained to the GAA, to the council and to the cops, but as mentioned earlier, none of them give a crap.
    If the Pearse stadium management gave a crap they would implement the traffic plans they are obliged to implement.
    If the council gave a crap they would force the stadium to implement the plans they are obliged to put in place.
    If the cops gave a crap they would implement the traffic management plans that are included in the planning permission for the stadium.

Advertisement