Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon vs Clare, Pearse Stadium Saturday 23rd

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭spurshero

Maybe we should cancel Galway races next week . Sure it will ring big crowds causing traffic chaos 🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Why don't GAA County Boards run Bus Coaches for these events. Would take a lot of cars off the roads into approach of City and the City itself. Well run and organised is the GAA. If they picked 6 of largest Clubs in Roscommon and have 3-4 buses run per club. Same goes for Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Why don't GAA County Boards run Bus Coaches for these events. Would take a lot of cars off the roads into approach of City and the City itself. Well run and organised is the GAA. If they picked 6 of largest Clubs in Roscommon and have 3-4 buses run per club. Same goes for Clare.

This is done by most counties. Galway have two supporters buses going to Thurles on Sunday. Footballers run the same idea. Unfortunately people are fond of their cars and it's near impossible to change that attitude. Galway County board and the council did try to run a park and ride from Galway airport to Pearse Stadium for Mayo match unfortunately it turned into chaos. But even with that it was the right idea and should be done again.

This is done by most counties. Galway have two supporters buses going to Thurles on Sunday. Footballers run the same idea. Unfortunately people are fond of their cars and it's near impossible to change that attitude. Galway County board and the council did try to run a park and ride from Galway airport to Pearse Stadium for Mayo match unfortunately it turned into chaos. But even with that it was the right idea and should be done again.
    The Scale needs to be much larger. 2 Buses is only 100. Need 20 Buses just for 1000 supporters.
    Could be incentive's by giving Cheaper match tickets for those who take these "Club" buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sconsey wrote: »
    Halleluah! that's the problem I have (probably same as most of the 'moaners'), I have complained to the GAA, to the council and to the cops, but as mentioned earlier, none of them give a crap.
    If the Pearse stadium management gave a crap they would implement the traffic plans they are obliged to implement.
    If the council gave a crap they would force the stadium to implement the plans they are obliged to put in place.
    If the cops gave a crap they would implement the traffic management plans that are included in the planning permission for the stadium.

I have written to the Superintentent twice and the council on this matter, without as much as an acknowledgement. You're absolutely right, there is no appetite from either institution to tackle this problem.
    spurshero wrote: »
    Maybe we should cancel Galway races next week . Sure it will ring big crowds causing traffic chaos 🙄🙄🙄🙄

No. The Races are a good example of how a well implemented and executed traffic management plan can work. Galway used to completely shut down several years ago due to the races. This changed with the implementation of a new traffic management plan four or five years ago which has, by and large, been working very well.

I have no doubt that if I parked illegally in the vicinity of Ballybrit next week I would get a ticket or be towed away. Yet, thousands of good mass going GAA folk can abandon their cars wherever they like regardless of local residents, road safety or the gridlock they cause. The double standard is sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

The Scale needs to be much larger. 2 Buses is only 100. Need 20 Buses just for 1000 supporters. Could be incentive's by giving Cheaper match tickets for those who take these "Club" buses?

It's getting people away from their cars that's the problem. If the demand was there more buses would be run. And at €10 it's great value. Trying to change attitudes is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's getting people away from their cars that's the problem. If the demand was there more buses would be run. And at €10 it's great value. Trying to change attitudes is the problem.

A good crop of parking tickets would help.

Actually, seeing as this weekend's match involves blow-ins on both sides, perhaps the guards will be prepared to show a bit of bold-gendarmerie spirit and issue some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

A good crop of parking tickets would help.

Actually, seeing as this weekend's match involves blow-ins on both sides, perhaps the guards will be prepared to show a bit of bold-gendarmerie spirit and issue some.

A lot of Roscommon and Clare people live in Galway city and county. Some of them are even "nice" :)

Ye are fighting the wrong battle here lads. This qualifier wont be anything like Galway v Roscommon/Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Salthill gets very few championship games each year (involving Galway or otherwise) in comparison to other GAA grounds around the country. Mainly due to it's location right on the west coast. Having a qualifier game there like Roscommon v Clare this weekend is a rarity. Unfortunately the stadium is in a far from ideal location slap bang in the middle of a housing estate on the opposite side of the city to where the vast majority of match going supporters will be arriving from.

Now I don't live around Pearse Stadium but I can't imagine there are that many big games there over the course of the entire year that it would annoy me. If it was a regular occurrence then sure.

Ye are fighting the wrong battle here lads. This qualifier wont be anything like Galway v Roscommon/Mayo.

Would not agree, perhaps focus on this match is not a good example based on projected numbers. However it us an issue that does not just apply to Pearse Stadium. Any big event should have Traffic Management Plans and holders should be encouraged to use the most efficient forms of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Well was it traffic-mageddon in the end or no? Am at home fighting a cold so haven't ventured out to see myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Well was it traffic-mageddon in the end or no? Am at home fighting a cold so haven't ventured out to see myself.

No it was grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes it was.
    Entire section of BnaT inbound from Tuam Rd to Kirwan was jammed at one point. Garda had to come and direct traffic at Bodkin as a result. Oh and all the usual illegal parking all over the place.
    Same on DublinRd -> LAtalia ->LwrSalthill

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yes it was.
    Entire section of BnaT inbound from Tuam Rd to Kirwan was jammed at one point. Garda had to come and direct traffic at Bodkin as a result. Oh and all the usual illegal parking all over the place.

Mother of god, that sounds disastrous, better ring Jo, and tell me listener were dogs trapped in the cars too?

Maybe we could kill 2 birds with the one stone and knock Pierse stadium and build social housing there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Mother of god, that sounds disastrous, better ring Jo, and tell me listener were dogs trapped in the cars too?

Maybe we could kill 2 birds with the one stone and knock Pierse stadium and build social housing there

Social housing in G4. You must be joking! Traffic was grand yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yes it was.

attendance at the match was 5,000 plus change ... the only congestion that there was in salthill yesterday was out in the bay !

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Traffic was grand yesterday

No it wasn't, it was a mess. Long delays at Menlo when I was there at 2pm. Lots of comments on Twitter yesterday about the traffic.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    No it wasn't, it was a mess. Long delays at Menlo when I was there at 2pm. Lots of comments on Twitter yesterday about the traffic.

Obviously exclusively because of the match seeing as Galway traffic is never bad on a typical sat afternoon

I'm sure the traffic comments from match attendees are Clare and Roscommon fans who don't normally frequent Galway

Obviously exclusively because of the match"

Correct. It was Clare and Roscommon reg cars all around me in traffic. And judging by the condition of the cars and the amount of sh1te hanging off them they could only be GAA supporters.

Correct. It was Clare and Roscommon reg cars all around me in traffic. And judging by the condition of the cars and the amount of sh1te hanging off them they could only be GAA supporters.

Nice attitude, makes me believe you less now.

It always amazes me that today a town in Tipperary is welcoming supporters from 5 different counties, their town is in lockdown mode(stadium in the town) for 6 hours and yet there is no whinging. Similar situation for tens of other cities / towns multiple times each year. Is Galway too good for these gaa supporters and these stuck up city folk will only accept traffic from a sailing / art event?

• Advertisement

Nice attitude, makes me believe you less now.

It always amazes me that today a town in Tipperary is welcoming supporters from 5 different counties, their town is in lockdown mode(stadium in the town) for 6 hours and yet there is no whinging. Similar situation for tens of other cities / towns multiple times each year. Is Galway too good for these gaa supporters and these stuck up city folk will only accept traffic from a sailing / art event?

Better call Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

thebackbar wrote: »
    attendance at the match was 5,000 plus change ... the only congestion that there was in salthill yesterday was out in the bay !

Yeah the stadium looked empty. Much ado about nothing.
    Congrats to Clare on getting to the quarter finals!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

So it was like your average weekday rush hour then? ;)

Advertisement