Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a universal bike rack....

Options
  • 19-07-2016 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Non-towbar mounted one.
    That will fit a saloon car and an audi a3 hatchback.

Any recommendations?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

61mgFoXUJdL._SL1500_.jpg

Any of the racks that look like the one pictured above will adjust to fit both a saloon and a hatchback. Funnily enough, I think the one that I have is identical to the one pictured above. The brand name is "Hollywood" and it is reliable and fairly easy to attach. I've transported three road bikes cross-country with it and had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

There was a lad on here selling one reasonably cheap the other day - let me see if I can find the post...

Here we go...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057620797

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

If you want to spend some money, Thule products are really top drawer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

thejaguar wrote: »
    There was a lad on here selling one reasonably cheap the other day - let me see if I can find the post...

Here we go...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057620797

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Saris Bones racks are very versatile, though they carry a premium as well. I picked a Bones 3 up second hand off a boardsie some time ago and have since had a few people ask about it, and indeed some bought their own on the back of mine and their experiences with my rack. Have fitted it to both a Corolla and a Qashqai, and Saris have a compatibility checker on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I have a Hollywood F1, does the job. I would prefer a tow-bar mounted rack as they're far more convenient, but no hitch on my current drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Seen one in Aldi Tallaght this morning i bought one a few weeks back great yoke...
    about 40 euro
    even looks the same brand as the one in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Saris Bones (1 at least) wasn't compatible with one of our cars. Went for a peruzzo one (their second cheapest) on Mick's Garage which did. Works fine for two bikes, is a pia to get the three it supposedly holds on. Is quite heavy/ substantial though.

It mainly goes on one of the cars, and I kinda have the knack of fitting it fairly quickly now, so tend to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Trojan wrote: »
    I have a Hollywood F1, does the job. I would prefer a tow-bar mounted rack as they're far more convenient, but no hitch on my current drive.

Same here. Super rack, easily adjusted, robust and has carried up to four /five bikes in the past when the kids' bikes were small.

Now have a towbar and the scissors rack takes 5 seconds to mount...
    146682?$pd_main_v2$

Advertisement