Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Penalty points on a learner permit.

• 19-07-2016 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

IN ADVANCE****
    If this question is in the irrelevant section, I would appreciate if someone could guide me towards it, or move this thread.

Had abit of a problem yesterday. Got stopped by the Garda for the first time ever. I was on a motorbike. They told me I was speeding, but didn't take any of my information down, and didn't tell me im getting fine. They asked me to produce my licence and insurance at the local Garda station as I didn't have it on me at the time.

This is my second learner permit - first I received in 2013, prior the 7 penalty point law came in.

The first permit I held was for a car only, but this permit, which I received only last year, is for both a motorbike and a car.

I have read that the 7 penalty point system applies only to learners holding their first permit, but would like some clarification if any of you may know. Does this apply to me? Or does this permit counts as my first as it was my first permit including a motorbike - the vehicle I was driving?

Would like to know what to expect going into the Garda station later on.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Hi all,

IN ADVANCE****
    If this question is in the irrelevant section, I would appreciate if someone could guide me towards it, or move this thread.

Had abit of a problem yesterday. Got stopped by the Garda for the first time ever. I was on a motorbike. They told me I was speeding, but didn't take any of my information down, and didn't tell me im getting fine. They asked me to produce my licence and insurance at the local Garda station as I didn't have it on me at the time.

This is my second learner permit - first I received in 2013, prior the 7 penalty point law came in.

The first permit I held was for a car only, but this permit, which I received only last year, is for both a motorbike and a car.

I have read that the 7 penalty point system applies only to learners holding their first permit, but would like some clarification if any of you may know. Does this apply to me? Or does this permit counts as my first as it was my first permit including a motorbike - the vehicle I was driving?

Would like to know what to expect going into the Garda station later on.

Thanks in advance!

It will apply to your license, this is also considered your first provisional for your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 P1ston H3ad

jonnycivic wrote: »
    It will apply to your license, this is also considered your first provisional for your bike.

Thank you for being the bearer of bad news :(
    Guess its time to face the music so!

Much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Call the NDLS helpline tomorrow. As far as I understand, your driver number and record would have started driving before the new learner and novice rules applied meaning that you have the full 12 points to work from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,360 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sounds like it's just a producer, make sure the details are noted down when you go in with the documents and that should be the end of it.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Your driver number on your license would be where the points would be applied to , so if you get points for driving cat A,B,C,D etc its all includes the categories . I was in similar boat as you OP of as having 6 points on my full b and only receiving my first learner A permit 3-4 months ago . The NDLS said i would have to receive the 12 points for my cat B+A license to be revoked . So this 7 point system is abit iffy :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement