Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog locked in car every day

• 19-07-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

So at work there is a company across from the office where the owner locks his dog in the car every day, hes very thoughtful tho as he leave a window open about 6".:rolleyes: The dog was in the Car all day last Friday, most of yesterday, and was in the car from 8.30-11am today already and its 28deg!!, hes now out but given what ive seen it wont be long before hes back in there again.
    I have reported it to DSPCA, as i dont want to confront the owner, is there anything more i should do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Call the Gardai. Did the DSPCA turn up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,604 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Spanish Police have the right approach...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

I would confront him or just smash the window. No way could I let a poor dog suffer like that . Dogs can't regulate their own temperature. My beloved dog is 13 and part of the family...and very much treated with respect and care.

Mod note... Please don't advocate breaking car windows. It could result in the window-breaker getting into a lot of trouble. Call the guards and let them make that call.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Why dont you approach the owner?

Someone I know had a (heavy) dog who had a serious cruciate ligament operation so afterwards he brought the dog to work for a few weeks, and the dog stayed in the car as it wasnt allowed to weight bear initially, and he lifted the dog out to go to the toilet and checked on her every 15 minutes or so. It wasnt ideal but it was much better for the dog than to be left home alone and unchecked on all day long with no help for the loo etc..

So why not check with the owner whats going on? It could be a short term solution to a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

I'm pretty sure that falls under animal cruelty, which is a criminal offence, so i would recommend you contact the appropriate authorities

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Definitely call the guards. I had my dog alone in the car today for all of 5mins with the aircon blasting while I was talking to a friend outside the car. He was more comfortable than me!! But no excuse for this idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

So at work there is a company across from the office where the owner locks his dog in the car every day, hes very thoughtful tho as he leave a window open about 6".:rolleyes: The dog was in the Car all day last Friday, most of yesterday, and was in the car from 8.30-11am today already and its 28deg!!, hes now out but given what ive seen it wont be long before hes back in there again.
    I have reported it to DSPCA, as i dont want to confront the owner, is there anything more i should do?

Call the Garda, the dog will die it's that simple !
    They are allowed to smash the window to get the dog out if you do it you can be charged with criminal damage, I doubt the DSPCA will come out they never do.
    Now I am worried about this dog please act fast !

Why dont you approach the owner?

Someone I know had a (heavy) dog who had a serious cruciate ligament operation so afterwards he brought the dog to work for a few weeks, and the dog stayed in the car as it wasnt allowed to weight bear initially, and he lifted the dog out to go to the toilet and checked on her every 15 minutes or so. It wasnt ideal but it was much better for the dog than to be left home alone and unchecked on all day long with no help for the loo etc..

So why not check with the owner whats going on? It could be a short term solution to a problem.

Actually, I agree with this, having thought about it. People have different circumstances in their lives, maybe this owner has some issues at home and can't leave the dog there while they are in work.

Talk to the owner, and maybe suggest doggy day care, even if only for the summer, warm months if that is a possibility.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Actually, I agree with this, having thought about it. People have different circumstances in their lives, maybe this owner has some issues at home and can't leave the dog there while they are in work.

Talk to the owner, and maybe suggest doggy day care, even if only for the summer, warm months if that is a possibility.

This could be quiet possible and in the meantime the dog needs to get out of that care asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Can/will the guards do anything in cases like this? I ask because a friend shared a post on FB where a dog was left in a car for 2 hours yesterday while the owner was in the hairdressers. Guards were called and came out but said they couldn't do anything? It was 32 degrees in my car when I got into it at lunchtime yesterday - a bit cooler today at 26!

Edit - they only called the guards because they were having problems tracking the owner down

• Advertisement

On a social media site someone posted about this issue on the DSPCA page the responded saying they are looking after the issue and have spoken with the person who reported so hopefully it will get sorted asap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In this weather, it will get unbearably hot in a car, window open or not.
    The poor dog would be better off tied up in the shade with a bowl of water, though this is also not ideal.

Hopefully someone will get him out soon.

I was at a training weekend last month and I was surprised how cool it was in the car - it was no warmer in the car than it was outside in the shade. I had those fabric shade things that cover the door so all the windows were open as well as the back door and Lucy was quite comfortable and chilled out!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

DSPCA havnt arrived, the dog isn't in the car all day every day, just for long periods of the day.
    Eg Friday- Al day bar 10mins
    Yesterday- was out for 3 hours approx(tied up)
    Today- In car from 8am-11am, currently outside(tied up) but i expect him to be put back again.

i do not wish to approach the owner.

This is an ongoing observation over many many weeks, its become more alarming given the temp.

I have to trust DSPCA will do their jobs.

DSPCA havnt arrived, the dog isn't in the car all day every day, just for long periods of the day.
    Eg Friday- Al day bar 10mins
    Yesterday- was out for 3 hours approx(tied up)
    Today- In car from 8am-11am, currently outside(tied up) but i expect him to be put back again.

i do not wish to approach the owner.

This is an ongoing observation over many many weeks, its become more alarming given the temp.

I have to trust DSPCA will do their jobs.

They said that their inspectors have been talking to you and that it will be sorted but I dont believe them

" The dog is in the owners office now, inspectors were down with owner"

DSPCA posted this on their page as someone asked why were they not doing anything so it looks like as soon as they went the dog was out back out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

tk123 wrote: »
    I was at a training weekend last month and I was surprised how cool it was in the car - it was no warmer in the car than it was outside in the shade. I had those fabric shade things that cover the door so all the windows were open as well as the back door and Lucy was quite comfortable and chilled out!

Unfortunately, dogs left in cars rarely have all the doors and windows open.

tk123 wrote: »

Last weekend was in no way the same heat as this week so its not really a good comparison, even in cooler weather the oxygen in cars is limited so its just not okay anytime for dogs to be left in them.

Angel2016 wrote: »
    Last weekend was in no way the same heat as this week so its not really a good comparison, even in cooler weather the oxygen in cars is limited so its just not okay anytime for dogs to be left in them.

It was actually last month and around the same temperature... the car was no warmer than outside or inside the training centre. I don't advocate locking dogs up in warm cars and I also don't advocate trial by social media.

Nobody would be bringing a dog with them to work like that unless there was a very good reason. Somebody had a dog in their car where I work at one stage and there was people queuing up to take the dog during the day when they were on breaks etc so it wouldn't be cooped up.

I still don't agree with having dogs in car for long periods of time at all driving somewhere with them is different sure I do that with my own dog but at no point is it okay to leave them in cars, I know someone who was lived in a council house was told no animals and didn't listen they told her get the dog out or else your out which is fair enough she had that dog in the car for over a month coming and going sleeping in it at night etc...until someone told her to cop on and to get the dog sorted which she did.
    Doggy daycare is not that expensive if you agree a rate this is just not okay ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Is the dog still in the car?

I still don't agree with having dogs in car for long periods of time at all driving somewhere with them is different sure I do that with my own dog but at no point is it okay to leave them in cars, I know someone who was lived in a council house was told no animals and didn't listen they told her get the dog out or else your out which is fair enough she had that dog in the car for over a month coming and going sleeping in it at night etc...until someone told her to cop on and to get the dog sorted which she did.
    Doggy daycare is not that expensive if you agree a rate this is just not okay ever.

So when boardsies advise someone that is travelling over to the UK, to leave their dog in their car on board the ferry, rather than put them into the kennels, they are wrong? Agree to disagree on that one, having seen where the kennels are on most of the ships. Ulysses has good kennels, but even then, unless you disinfect them, and bring your own padlock, I would always suggest leaving your dog in your car rather than putting them in there.

Yes, in this weather alternative arrangements need to be made, but without knowing the owner's living conditions, it is unfair to make assumptions about them. Perhaps it is the only way they can keep their dog at the moment, and would rather do that, than put him or her into the pound. I wonder how warm Ashton is at the moment?

I gave an example earlier in the thread where I do believe it was ok as a short term solution.

Going straight for GUARDS! DSPCA! SMASH A WINDOW! is counterproductive imo.

Surely the very first step would be to approach the dog owner and ask pleasantly if there was anything you could do to help because youd noticed they had a dog in the car. Opening a conversation that would then allow you to find out whats going on.

Or do we now live in a keyboard warrior world where the slightest transgression results in trial by social media?

I gave an example earlier in the thread where I do believe it was ok as a short term solution.

Going straight for GUARDS! DSPCA! SMASH A WINDOW! is counterproductive imo.

Surely the very first step would be to approach the dog owner and ask pleasantly if there was anything you could do to help because youd noticed they had a dog in the car. Opening a conversation that would then allow you to find out whats going on.

Or do we now live in a keyboard warrior world where the slightest transgression results in trial by social media?
    Depends if the dog is in imminent danger of death surely?

OldNotWIse wrote: »

It does, but as the OP won't approach the owner, perhaps they have only seen the dog and car from across a car park, or from where their own office is, so cannot tell if that is the case.

I didnt see that mentioned by the OP?

I didnt see that mentioned by the OP?

Neither did I. What's your point?

It does, but as the OP won't approach the owner, perhaps they have only seen the dog and car from across a car park, or from where their own office is, so cannot tell if that is the case.

I would hazard a guess that any dog left in a car for a long period on a day like this where temperatures will soar to 30 degrees might be in danger. Temperature inside a car can escalate pretty quickly.

I would hazard a guess that any dog left in a car for a long period on a day like this where temperatures will soar to 30 degrees might be in danger. Temperature inside a car can escalate pretty quickly.

Indeed, but I have thermal windscreen and window covers for the cab in my van, it is amazing how cool it stays even on really warm days when they are in place. We don't know whether that is the case here or not.

• Advertisement

Indeed, but I have thermal windscreen and window covers for the cab in my van, it is amazing how cool it stays even on really warm days when they are in place. We don't know whether that is the case here or not.

Exactly ;)

They said the window was open 6 inches. And that the dog was in and out of the car.

Look, I dont disagree with helping the dog. At all.

But the pitchfork carrying nature of some of the posts here was hysterical.

And as pointed out by another poster, perhaps there was no other choice for the person and now their only choice is the pound? Is that better?

I still think approaching the owner should have been the first port of call.

If he gave short shrift, great - you tried, then call the DSPCA.

They said the window was open 6 inches. And that the dog was in and out of the car.

And as pointed out by another poster, perhaps there was no other choice for the person and now their only choice is the pound? Is that better?

+1

I'd lol if the car was a hybrid with the A/C blasting all day lol :pac:

Pitchfork? Trial by social media? I think you need to consider who exactly is being hysterical here.

My single point was that in a (not necessarily this) situation where a dog is locked in a car, whether or not force should be used to free the dog or a report should be made to the relevant authorities depends on whether the dog in question is in imminent danger of death. I don't believe that this is an unreasonable stance and I certainly don't think it in any way approaches "hysterical". I wasn't implying that the dog in question was in such danger because as you (rightly) point out, we are not privy to that information.

ps its been my experience that (certain) high profile rescues will only take an interest when there is a media element. If there's an oil spill for example, they will be all over it. Individual cases? Not so much.

I absolutely agree that approaching the owner should be first option!

Pitchfork? Trial by social media? I think you need to consider who exactly is being hysterical here.

My single point was that in a (not necessarily this) situation where a dog is locked in a car, whether or not force should be used to free the dog or a report should be made to the relevant authorities depends on whether the dog in question is in imminent danger of death. I don't believe that this is an unreasonable stance and I certainly don't think it in any way approaches "hysterical". I wasn't implying that the dog in question was in such danger because as you (rightly) point out, we are not privy to that information.

ps its been my experience that (certain) high profile rescues will only take an interest when there is a media element. If there's an oil spill for example, they will be all over it. Individual cases? Not so much.

I absolutely agree that approaching the owner should be first option!

The rescue in question have said that they did attend and spoke with the owner.

The rescue in question have said that they did attend and spoke with the owner.

Good. The most important thing in all this is the welfare of the dog, not who is right or wrong.

• Advertisement

Good. The most important thing in all this is the welfare of the dog, not who is right or wrong.

It is.

Id also prefer to think that people are taking up the time of rescues on cases that genuinely need them.

I really see no need for smashing peoples car windows, calling the Guards or the DSPCA or anyone else on them, when they are in an office right next to the car and an attempt can be made to speak to them.

It is.

Id also prefer to think that people are taking up the time of rescues on cases that genuinely need them.

I really see no need for smashing peoples car windows, calling the Guards or the DSPCA or anyone else on them, when they are in an office right next to the car and an attempt can be made to speak to them.

Provided that when the person in question is spoken to they actually do something about the situation. Of course we don't know whats going on in this person's life but really on a long term basis keeping a dog in a car is ludicrous (IMO)

It is.

You must take every situation on its merits and weigh up the situation.

Provided that when the person in question is spoken to they actually do something about the situation. Of course we don't know whats going on in this person's life but really on a long term basis keeping a dog in a car is ludicrous (IMO)

Of course, did I suggest otherwise anywhere?

In fact, I was careful to point out, that if the owner gave short shrift then to go ahead and make the call. I would have thought it was obvious to do so if you spoke to the owner and he still did nothing.

We have no idea how long term the arrangement is. In fact, without talking to the owner, we have no idea of anything really.

Of course, did I suggest otherwise anywhere?

In fact, I was careful to point out, that if the owner gave short shrift then to go ahead and make the call. I would have thought it was obvious to do so if you spoke to the owner and he still did nothing.

We have no idea how long term the arrangement is. In fact, without talking to the owner, we have no idea of anything really.

No. Did I suggest you did? See it could go on forever - it doesn't really matter once the dog is ok, as I already mentioned :) We seem to be reading from the same hymn sheet tbh.

• Advertisement

Update : Dspca phoned me to say they had visited the owner, after i had emailed them every day to let them know the dog is locked in the car (which it is every single day)

They reported that the dog barks at home when left alone so the owner takes it to work, they reported the dog is healthy and in good condition.
    The owner maintained the dog is taken out every hour(lol) and exercised and given water a work colleague backed this up(course he would).
    When i highlighted that the dog is locked in the car from early morning to late evening, every single day they told me there is no offence being committed. Even though they have highlighted on their website Never lock your dog in the car!!
    Baffling.

Update : Dspca phoned me to say they had visited the owner, after i had emailed them every day to let them know the dog is locked in the car (which it is every single day)

They reported that the dog barks at home when left alone so the owner takes it to work, they reported the dog is healthy and in good condition.
    The owner maintained the dog is taken out every hour(lol) and exercised and given water a work colleague backed this up(course he would).
    When i highlighted that the dog is locked in the car from early morning to late evening, every single day they told me there is no offence being committed. Even though they have highlighted on their website Never lock your dog in the car!!
    Baffling.

Advice and law are two different things. If it was illegal to lock a dog in a car, then nobody could ever really go anywhere with their dog, dog shows, taking the dog out for a walk and stopping off at a shop etc. The law can't really say it is ok for 5 minutes, but no longer, it either has to be do it or don't, which isn't practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

you could inform the employer.Mine would go nuts if I left my dog in the car for 8 hours while parked on their property. You also could see if there are dogwalkers/doggie day care options in the area,print a few flyers and place them on the windshield....it might help.

you could inform the employer.Mine would go nuts if I left my dog in the car for 8 hours while parked on their property. You also could see if there are dogwalkers/doggie day care options in the area,print a few flyers and place them on the windshield....it might help.

:pac: I've brought my two to work a few times when I was off and needed to collect something - they had a line of people in the carpark wanting to meet them and throw balls into the lake for them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

I take one or both of my dogs to work every day. One of the dogs has started barking at customers especially men so she has to spend a good bit of time in the car. When it's quiet I take her out if she wants to come out. Often she doesn't especially if it's cold or wet. She sits up on the back window and sleeps or looks around at what's going on.

If the dog that the OP is concerned about barks a lot in the car or is panting I would say there may be a problem but if he spends most of the time sleeping and relaxed I'd say he's happy enough with the arrangement.....

I take one or both of my dogs to work every day. One of the dogs has started barking at customers especially men so she has to spend a good bit of time in the car. When it's quiet I take her out if she wants to come out. Often she doesn't especially if it's cold or wet. She sits up on the back window and sleeps or looks around at what's going on.

If the dog that the OP is concerned about barks a lot in the car or is panting I would say there may be a problem but if he spends most of the time sleeping and relaxed I'd say he's happy enough with the arrangement.....

He barks constantly, and given the fact i went to my car at lunchtime Friday and had to get back out again with the heat, id say hes far from happy with the arrangement.

Advertisement