Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

But across the Irish sea isn't here.

So, your point is, because RTE didn't produce and broadcast a minstrel show, Irish people ( please define, is it a length of time living here, a passport, what?) are entitled to offend/be racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

I want my trocaire box money back

Blackface - not ok?

Dressing as a member race and painting your face while comically demonstrating the stereotypes - ok?

Any answer to these yet? For Mr. Darkpagandeath, of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Smondie wrote: »
    I want my trocaire box money back

You can use the money for tickets to the next installment of White Chicks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

So, your point is, because RTE didn't produce and broadcast a minstrel show, Irish people ( please define, is it a length of time living here, a passport, what?) are entitled to offend/be racist.

I would ask that woman on FB. Her comments are pretty bad.

• Advertisement

You can use the money for tickets to the next installment of White Chicks!

I can't it's racist now.

Any answer to these yet? For Mr. Darkpagandeath, of course

Your last statement is nonsense. They were comically doing stereotype now.....

I would ask that woman on FB. Her comments are pretty bad.

She's not absolved from the idiocy, btw. Any answer to those questions?

She's not absolved from the idiocy, btw. Any answer to those questions?

"I'll get over black face, being called a black b***ch, being called a ******, getting violently abused by an Irish man for being black, getting told I'm less black because I'm appropriate, being told to silence my mouth when I see black people even more demeaned by any Caucasian when I see an Irish person get over English people calling them pigs, or dismissing the Irish famine and "slavery" or when I see an Irish person dress up as Hitler to a synagogue."

Your last statement is nonsense. They were comically doing stereotype now.....

Ok, as you've proven to have difficulty analysing anything outside of exactly whats in front of your eyes, I'll add the missing words, and remove the sneery one I had

Blackface - not ok?

Dressing as a character from a movie/sports person from a member of another race which has historically been oppressed by yours for comic effect - ok?

• Advertisement

Ok, as you've proven to have difficulty analysing anything outside of exactly whats in front of your eyes, I'll add the missing words, and remove the sneery one I had

Blackface - not ok?

Dressing as a character from a movie/sports person from a member of another race which has historically been oppressed by yours for comic effect - ok?

Sorry no history of slavery in my family.

Remove that and answer the question then.

And of course, being wilfully obtuse while calling others for it, is a bit, you know.... :cool:

Remove that and answer the question then.

Why you accused me. No history in my family of slavery. I have not dressed up for comic effect as another race either. Neither were the guys in the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I can't it's racist now.

No it's very tastefully done. They dress as two white old ladies to bust a ring of Fake Jews who travel the countryside beating old people for their money, committing dole fraud and abusing horses, while claiming to be the lost tribe.

Wait, that's still wrong isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Michael Jackson done "whiteface" and nobody called him racist.....although he had bigger problems :pac:

Racism is a two way street ,whatever about his morals and behaviour,its never smart to use medical conditions to make a point..im sure theirs an "ism" for what you did,but i don't care ,I'm grateful that i don't look at weakness and see a chance to kick a person ..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You do realise you are posting in AH yes ?

Racism is racism. Doesn't matter what forum it's in. It's not a funny /laughing subject. I'll leave it there. I don't think you'll ever get it

Blackface - not ok?

What, like her own people?

Several nations such as the Ashanti of present-day Ghana and the Yoruba of present-day Nigeria were involved in slave-trading. Groups such as the Imbangala of Angola and the Nyamwezi of Tanzania would serve as intermediaries or roving bands, waging war on African states to capture people for export as slaves. Historians John Thornton and Linda Heywood have provided an estimate that Africans captured and then sold to Europeans around 90% of those who were shipped in the Atlantic slave trade

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Racism is racism. Doesn't matter what forum it's in. It's not a funny /laughing subject. I'll leave it there. I don't think you'll ever get it

So you are calling me Racist provide the Evidence then.

Why you accused me. No history in my family of slavery. I have not dressed up for comic effect as another race either. Neither were the guys in the picture.

Ok, here it is, read it slowly if English isn't your first language and your having trouble understanding

Do you, Mr. DarkPaganDeath, believe that is socially acceptable for someone to dress up as a character (you still with me here?) or sports person, for comic effect, of a race which was historically oppressed by the race of the person (still here?) doing the dressing up?*

* do not apply any of the 'race' nouns to you or your family or your race

• Advertisement

What, like her own people?

Several nations such as the Ashanti of present-day Ghana and the Yoruba of present-day Nigeria were involved in slave-trading. Groups such as the Imbangala of Angola and the Nyamwezi of Tanzania would serve as intermediaries or roving bands, waging war on African states to capture people for export as slaves. Historians John Thornton and Linda Heywood have provided an estimate that Africans captured and then sold to Europeans around 90% of those who were shipped in the Atlantic slave trade

Are the dressing up as members of the races they enslaved, for comic effect, and having the '#bantz' - if so, that's not right, Smondie

Are the dressing up as members of the races they enslaved, for comic effect, and having the '#bantz' - if so, that's not right, Smondie

Well if a Nigerian is dressing like a Nigerian, then yes, they are dressing up as members of a race they enslaved.

Ok, here it is, read it slowly if English isn't your first language and your having trouble understanding

Do you, Mr. DarkPaganDeath, believe that is socially acceptable for someone to dress up as a character (you still with me here?) or sports person, for comic effect, of a race which was historically oppressed by the race of the person (still here?) doing the dressing up?*

* do not apply any of the 'race' nouns to you or your family or your race

Rules out the entire planet then. Your fixated on comic effect prove that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bambi wrote: »
    That touristy kip of a bar has a "neat dress essential", sign on it :D
    One that wants to ban scobes on sight?

Well if a Nigerian is dressing like a Nigerian, then yes, they are dressing up as members of a race they enslaved.

I wonder if the brain blew when harry dressed up as a Nazi.

Rules out the entire planet then. Your fixated on comic effect prove that.

I think we can safely assume you think it's perfectly ok, good man Mr DarkPahanDeath, thank you for playing.

So, it's ok then? Perfectly acceptable? You've no issue with what these guys did?

I wonder if the brain blew when harry dressed up as a Nazi.

Show yer logical workings there please, Mr DarkPahanDeath, and contrast them with the discussion in this thread.

I think we can safely assume you think it's perfectly ok, good man Mr DarkPahanDeath, thank you for playing.

Where is your proof of comic effect ?

• Advertisement

Is she not dressing up like a white person with the blonde hair?

Advertisement