Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

I see when they cant be answered.

They're easy enough to answer but judging at how silly those questions are, you're either taking the p*ss or you not very smart.
    Why should I bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

They're easy enough to answer but judging at how silly those questions are, you're either taking the p*ss or you not very smart.
    Why should I bother?

Then go ahead answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I'm out... Never play pigeon with a chess.

Sums it up really.

Our friends in England have had these debates decades ago.
    The mere fact that we're still debating this issue speaks volumes of how backward we are as a society, when it comes to race relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

You're just trivializing a serious issue for your own cheap thrills.
    No it's the same issue and your inability to answer screams "because I said so" and stamping your feet

• Advertisement

Then go ahead answer.

nah...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

The mere fact that we're still debating this issue speaks volumes of how backward we are as a society, when it comes to race relations.

Our friends in England?

Who is this we?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Fake afro not a race you heard of a perm ?

What exactly is a black accent ? Is accent a race now ?

Who does these caricatures ?

The outfits are obviously using the Jamaican flag as a pattern.

There is a Jamaican accent. Or a Caribbean accent.

Smondie wrote: »
    No it's the same issue and your inability to answer screams "because I said so" and stamping your feet

Let me get this straight.
    You're referring to white girls who wear fake tans?

Did they, Why would they be worried about something that started in the USA and was not really an EU issue. Please don't visit Holland on a particular day.

• Advertisement

Our friends in England?

Don't be pedantic.

I could've just as easy wrote. People in England.

Who is this we?

"We" are those debating this issue in this thread for one and wherever else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Have you ever asked a black person how it feels when a white person dresses slaps on face paint, a fake afro, , puts on a fake black accent and caricatures a black person purely for some cheap laughs.

Most black people will tell you that it is deeply offensive and that they find it racist.

A black accent. Very good. Very good. Are you sure that's not a bit racist though?

Are you by any chance the limerick mayor who wanted street signs in "African" to help new arrivals feel more welcome?

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The outfits are obviously using the Jamaican flag as a pattern.

There is a Jamaican accent. Or a Caribbean accent.

Kind of need to being the Jamaican bobsleighed team.

Accent is not race so get out with that. I'm Racist then with my bad Irish accent having lived here a long time.

See you drooped the hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Let me get this straight.
    You're referring to white girls who wear fake tans?

I think it was that movie White Chicks.

I think it was that movie White Chicks.

Fake tan changes ones skin tone at what level should we get triggered from the original skin tone ? :confused:

Did they, Why would they be worried about something that started in the USA and was not really an EU issue. Please don't visit Holland on a particular day.

Because in decades gone by they engaged in this stupid racist behavior in theaters (The minstrels) and on TV in entertainment shows during the seventies and the eighties.
    Subsequently, more progressive attitudes prevailed and racist behavior such as this blackface nonsense was shunned and banned.

Accent is not race so get out with that.

I never said it was. There's a Jamaican accent though isnt there?

Are you by any chance the limerick mayor who wanted street signs in "African" to help new arrivals feel more welcome?

This is another issue but I personally think this mayor is foolish.

Because in decades gone by they engaged in this stupid racist behavior in theaters (The minstrels) and on TV in entertainment shows during the seventies and the eighties.
    Subsequently, more progressive attitudes prevailed and racist behavior such as this blackface nonsense was shunned and banned.

I agree Black face minstrel are racist.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I never said it was. There's a Jamaican accent though isnt there?

I'm sure there is black and white Jamaicans have it. If I do an American accent I'm clearly Racist yes ? Or a UK one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I wouldn't be remotely bothered by people dressing up with black faces, brown faces, white faces etc. Not one steaming turd would i give.

Fake tan changes ones skin tone at what level should we get triggered from the original skin tone ? :confused:
    Maybe is ok for women to misappropiate skin or hair colour?

The original minstrels in 19th century America, (at a time where black people were severely oppressed,) made fun of black people, portraying them in a negative light as dumb, idiotic and lazy, not dissimilar to how Irish were portrayed as dumb and drunk in America and England.

How is that not racist?

All races change their skin tones for vanity, cosmetic and beauty purposes.

There is a clear distinction between this and a white person dressing up in a blackface minstrel costume with facepaint and an afro and lampooning black people.

The former act is not considered to be offensive although some people find it controversial.

The latter action, originated when America was deeply racist and clearly causes offense to black people and to humanity at large.

I'm sure there is black and white Jamaicans have it.

:confused:

Ummm. Not sure where you're going with that.

Letree wrote: »
    I wouldn't be remotely bothered by people dressing up with black faces, brown faces, white faces etc. Not one steaming turd would i give.

Would you dress up as blackface, knowing that it is racist?

Would you dress up as blackface, knowing that it is racist?

No I would not dress up as a Minstrel.

There is a clear distinction between this and a white person dressing up in a blackface minstrel costume with facepaint and an afro and lampooning black people.

The former act is not considered to be offensive although some people find it controversial.

The latter action, originated when America was deeply racist and clearly causes offense to black people and to humanity at large.

Minstrel costumes and lampooning black people?

What pictures are you looking at?

This guy changed thier skin colour for cosmetic purpose, which you say is fine

Minstrel costumes and lampooning black people?

What pictures are you looking at?

Did I say those idiots in Dublin wore costumes.

lol.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it okay if you dress up but don't lampoon black people? I want to be phil lynott this halloween and I sorta need the make up or I'll just look like Graeme Souness on a night out

What I find out fascinating about AH is you see all these presumably irish people mindlessly repeating the dribble that emanates from the right wing libertarian nutters or the SJW puritans over in America.

This is not America kids. We're not daft.

Advertisement