Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

No I would not dress up as a Minstrel.

Neither did the lads in the article that sparked off this thread despite the moaning minority posting here claiming otherwise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Did I say those idiots in Dublin wore costumes.

lol.......

So you are agreeing the lads in Dublin weren't racist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

The original minstrels in 19th century America, (at a time where black people were severely oppressed,) made fun of black people, portraying them in a negative light as dumb, idiotic and lazy, not dissimilar to how Irish were portrayed as dumb and drunk in America and England.

How is that not racist?

You say our friends in England.

Would you say to black people the slave owners are their friend?

If I was a black person I'd be so pissed off with people like you, reminding me of the past and how badly treated my ancestors where.

Just so you can claim how great you are and look how liberal I am????

Most people just want to live their life in peace, both black and white...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

If I was a black person I'd be so pissed off with people like you, reminding me of the past and how badly treated my ancestors where.

When can we consign slavery to history? I'm not offended by anything an Englishman does and they raped my country. This slavery argument is bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Smondie wrote: »
    So you are agreeing the lads in Dublin weren't racist

Why do you ask that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Would you dress up as blackface, knowing that it is racist?

Depends on the outfit. I don't automatically consider painting my face black as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

FortySeven wrote: »
    I'm not offended by anything an Englishman does and they raped my country.

I dont know. A lot of people find the irish being the constant punchline in english jokes as being a little offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Speaking as a white man, who identifies as a black man; it's only banter.

FortySeven wrote: »
    When can we consign slavery to history? I'm not offended by anything an Englishman does and they raped my country. This slavery argument is bollocks.

It will never be consigned to history with people like unseenfotage around.

The crazy thing is most normal people don't see colour as an issue only these people living in the kingdom of offendedom.

But you are not black so stop being outraged on their behalf i'm sure they'd find that a bit patronizing and dare i say it a bit racist.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Is it okay if you dress up but don't lampoon black people? I want to be phil lynott this halloween and I sorta need the make up or I'll just look like Graeme Souness on a night out

:confused:
    What I find out fascinating about AH is you see all these presumably irish people mindlessly repeating the dribble that emanates from the right wing libertarian nutters or the SJW puritans over in America.

This is not America kids. We're not daft.

I'd say that people who think that blackface is not racist are pretty daft.

Letree wrote: »
    But you are not black so stop being outraged on their behalf i'm sure they'd find that a bit patronizing and dare i say it a bit racist.

That makes both of us racist then :rolleyes:

fcking hyprocisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

:confused:

I'd say that people who think that blackface is not racist are pretty daft.

I think you ran out of road there kid, try backing up a bit

That makes both of us racist then :rolleyes:

fcking hyprocisy.

Well if you admit being racist i'll have to take you at your word. Just as i suspect anyway. Patronizingly taking offence for black people is a clue. They don't need your help.

I'm not racist btw.

I think you ran out of road there kid, try backing up a bit

Who is a kid, wiseguy?

Well if you admit being racist i'll have to take you at your word. Just as i suspect anyway. Patronizingly taking offence for black people is a clue. They don't need your help.

I'm not racist btw.

Yep, you got me. I'm a racist.

That word has lost all meaning.

Yep, you got me. I'm a racist.

That word has lost all meaning.

About 10 years ago thanks to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Patronizingly taking offence for black people is a clue. They don't need your help.

You dont have to be black to be offended by racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Smondie wrote: »
    I saw these girls wearing normal clothes, but they had painoted themselves brown. There's tons of them every where in rainy old ireland.

Are you offeneed by these women and their body paint? What's the colour on the chart were offense stops?

I get it that the world is overly pc and I understand your frustration but that is an idiotic comparison and does little for your argument. What women do has a purpose as in Ireland a tan is generally seen as attractive and the vast majority of men and women care about our appearance. A group of men going out in regular clothes painting their faces brown has no purpose. It's not attractive. It's not funny. So what is the reason for doing it?

Note that I wouldn't label it racist and I'm fine with the lads trying to look like the cast of 'cool runnings'.

I get it that the world is overly pc and I understand your frustration but that is an idiotic comparison and does little for your argument. What women do has a purpose as in Ireland a tan is generally seen as attractive and the vast majority of men and women care about our appearance. A group of men going out in regular clothes painting their faces brown has no purpose. It's not attractive. It's not funny. So what is the reason for doing it?

Note that I wouldn't label it racist and I'm fine with the lads trying to look like the cast of 'cool runnings'.

Nope sorry women painting themselves a different colour is not attractive. It's racist.

• Advertisement

And those cool running suits don't look like regular clothes to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Omg Just look at her page... linking blond hair from Aus and maybe does not realise 57% of the planet have blue eyes. maybe she thinks black Australasians are African.

White Redditter gets it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/1plkvj/risky_question_why_is_black_face_as_part_of_a/

"Risky question: Why is black face as part of a costume racist?" ........[click on link to see more of the question]

In the United States, blackface was used as part of Minstrel Shows, which is basically a comedy show where the only joke was basically "Wow, black people sure are stupid!" As you can imagine, incredibly ****ing offensive. Blackface was also used on stage or screen so that a show could have black characters, without having to actually, you know, hire black people. The white actors would then usually play up negative black stereotypes in the process.

So there is a lot of history of blackface being used as a method of mocking black people. But, hey, that's just history. Why would it be offensive today?
    Your point that you wouldn't be offended by a black person in "whiteface", or that it is the same as wearing a red wig, is what we might call 'false equivalency'; within a larger cultural context, it isn't the same thing. There are several reasons for this.

The first and most straightforward is that the mentality of the ministrel show hasn't disappeared. A lot of people who wear blackface in their costumes for Halloween or whatever use it as an excuse to make fun of black people, so people are wary of it. But that doesn't make in intrinsically racist, right?

Well, no, nothing is "intrinsically" anything when talking about race, because race isn't skin deep. You appear to believe in a sort of colourblind mentality towards race, in that it doesn't matter at all what race you are. Well, race is kind of an absurd concept (see below the break) because humans pretty much just made it up, but humans also just sort of made up things like governments, laws and economies, which are also important and "real" things. So let's talk about race. Really talk about it.

To many people, especially people of colour, race matters. It can matter in a lot of negative ways, manifesting in poor treatment, harassment, or simply the circumstances into which they were born, statistically. It can also matter in many positive or affirmative ways; concepts like "Black culture" or "Black pride" exist as a counterpoint, a way for Black people to take pride in themselves and their experiences, and to explore concepts that dominate culture, white culture, doesn't have experience with that many Black people do. Serious stuff, like mistreatment by the police and justice system, or basic stuff, like hair. Hair! Bet that's something you've never thought about at length (lol) but it's a pretty important issue for Black folks in America.

To white folks like us, this often doesn't make a lot of sense; we were taught as kids that race doesn't matter. But it's very easy to say that something that rarely seems to affect us doesn't matter; our race as white people is seen by society as default, our experiences as normal. Our stories get to be the ones that get retold and remembered, and we retell and remember them quite frequently. It's like saying it doesn't matter who wins or loses, after collecting the trophy and the prize money.

So something like whiteface doesn't affect us; it's just skin tone, after all. It's also why, as Americans who are very disconnected, often by generations, from our European ancestors, we often don't give a **** about those stereotypes either. I don't give a **** when people make Scottish jokes, and I wouldn't give a **** if people made Czech jokes, if those were jokes people over here made. It's not all that important to me.

If you are a person of colour in America, it is impossible not to notice race. Even if you've never been subject to malicious racism, you know that you are perceived as an outsider to the dominant culture. Even if you didn't want to care about race, race has been made important for you, personally. You've experienced a lot of **** you know is basically invisible to white people because of "just" your skin tone.

So when some white guy rolls along in blackface, or using black slang or trying to use the n-word positively or neutrally, it rings hollow. It's a mockery, somebody who thinks that all you need to emulate this giant, deeply personal and nuanced concept of Blackness is some shoe polish.
    That's what's offensive.

White Redditter gets it...

I'm sure white American Reddit does seen as it was a thing in America.

I'm sure white American Reddit does seen as it was a thing in America.

Have you read it?

Have you read it?

Nope no need. I don't frequent SJW threads. I'm sure you will say because white south Africans committed apartheid all the rest of us have. Being white and all. OH wait that's stupid just like Americans doing blackface has nothing really to do with Europe.

White "blackface" girls caricaturing black people.

"******"
    "Got the big ol lips"
    "The white teeth."
    "We need some fried chicken."

(They not dressed like the minstrels. In fact they only have face paint on. Yet their language is deeply offensive.
    This is what the redditter meant when he wrote:
    So when some white guy rolls along in blackface, or using black slang or trying to use the n-word positively or neutrally, it rings hollow. It's a mockery, somebody who thinks that all you need to emulate this giant, deeply personal and nuanced concept of Blackness is some shoe polish.
    That's what's offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Ah lads ya can't be doing that now, can't be doing that at all!.....

• Advertisement

White "blackface" girls caricaturing black people.

"******"
    "Got the big ol lips"
    "The white teeth."
    "We need some fried chicken."

(They not dressed like the minstrels. In fact they only have face paint on. Yet their language is deeply offensive.
    This is what the redditter meant when he wrote:

In America Jesus.... do you even listen to the stuff linked ?

Advertisement