Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Nope no need. I don't frequent SJW threads. I'm sure you will say because white south Africans committed apartheid all the rest of us have. Being white and all. OH wait that's stupid just like Americans doing blackface has nothing really to do with Europe.

Neither do I frequent those threads.

The thread was "explain me like I'm five years old."

Oh. If you didn't bother reading it then spare me your comments. N
    Not interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Neither do I frequent those threads.

The thread was "explain me like I'm five years old."

Oh. If you didn't bother reading it then spare me your comments. N
    Not interested.

Blackface is American.

In America

Sh*te happens everywhere.

Sh*te happens everywhere.

Aye and just like some stuff happened in England does not bear any of our responsibility. I hear they had a massive empire based on racism. Should I feel bad about that too you know being white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

A man once stood over me when I was homeless and he pissed in my face while I was sleeping in a doorway. He was laughing, so were his friends.

Offence is relative. This op is so ****ing tame it is criminal.

Boo ****ing hoo.

• Advertisement

FortySeven wrote: »
    A man once stood over me when I was homeless and he pissed in my face while I was sleeping in a doorway. He was laughing, so were his friends.

Offence is relative. This op is so ****ing tame it is criminal.

Boo ****ing hoo.

I really don't know how I get out of bed in the morning with all this guilt on stuff my family never did. Shale we spice things up Black Americans removed sadam ?

I really don't know how I get out of bed in the morning with all this guilt on stuff my family never did. Shale we spice things up Black Americans removed sadam ?

My grandfather killed loads of Italians and Germans in north Africa.

We don't give the Germans or Italians an offence pass.

I'm educating you why blackface is offensive.
    Not tryna put you on a guilt complex about what the Americans and Brits did...
    Whats up with the paranoia.

My grandfather killed loads of Italians and Germans in north Africa.

We don't give the Germans or Italians an offence pass.

Same if you use statistic like this lot like, A disproportionate amount of black shooting of Arabs happened in Iraq. Way worth than anything in the USA.

I'm educating you why blackface is offensive.
    Not tryna put you on a guilt complex about what the Americans and Brits did...
    Whats up with the paranoia.

I'm not paranoid or racist I don't see black skin as any issue. Genuine question are you black ?

• Advertisement

I'm not paranoid or racist I don't see black skin as any issue. Genuine question are you black ?

Not black.

What do you mean you don't see black skin as an issue?

Not black.

I think we have an answer....

I think we have an answer....

You okay?
    You're not an easy person to communicate with. :)

*yawn*

You okay?
    You're not an easy person to communicate with. :)

*yawn*

Can you read what you wrote ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I bet she loves a nice cup of Lyons tea

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Faceybook posters's name sure is a mouthful but I'm probably nameist or some such thing for saying it - Jessica McDonald aka Jessica Ngozi Chichi McDonald.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Speaking as a white man, who identifies as a black man; it's only banter.

On boards.ie you are only allowed to identify as a person with the same skin tone and with or without the necessary organs to be what you identify as.

Identifying as a person with all the exact same organs but a different skin tone is absolutely definitely VERBOTEN. You think the outrage over a tacky stag is bad????? Don't even go there, the "fluid is so hip right now" types will lose their minds if the racial fluids get mixed with the gender fluids. "One is acceptable, the other is not. At all. Ever."

Did we ever figure out the "Fake Jews" comment? People keen to turn themselves inside out over some tacky stag antics have yet to turn their outrage on those misappropriating the cultural heritage of the the Jewish people. A bit selective don't you think?

My theory is that she was having a swipe athe Travellers for their cultural belief that they are of the lost tribe. A theory that's all. But nobody seems bothered that she's saying things that could be construed* as a slight on traveller's intelligence.

*It makes about as much sense as any other interpretation of the Fake Jews thing.

There's also the possibility that it's a test of what gullible people are prepared to ignore when they have a chance to climb on the outrage wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Have you ever asked a black person how it feels when a white person dresses slaps on face paint, a fake afro, , puts on a fake black accent and caricatures a black person purely for some cheap laughs.

Most black people will tell you that it is deeply offensive and that they find it racist.

I haven't polled black people on the topic. Maybe you have. The important point us that you're describing the face paint as part of a lust of offencive things done by the people in question. If they wanted to be offencive, it sounds like they were doing it well enough without 'blacking up'.

Doing fancy dress as a black person isn't any more offensive than dressing as a french fella with the striped jumper, garlic, mustache, baguette and hat. It's just a bit of fun. You could make it racist if you wanted to but you could do that without dressing up.

The racist part isn't the fancy dress part

I haven't polled black people on the topic. Maybe you have. The important point us that you're describing the face paint as part of a lust of offencive things done by the people in question. If they wanted to be offencive, it sounds like they were doing it well enough without 'blacking up'.

Doing fancy dress as a black person isn't any more offensive than dressing as a french fella with the striped jumper, garlic, mustache, baguette and hat. It's just a bit of fun. You could make it racist if you wanted to but you could do that without dressing up.

The racist part isn't the fancy dress part

I didn't ask for a white man's opinion.

• Advertisement

I bet she loves a nice cup of Lyons tea

Now why would you deliberately set out to offend black people with a clearly racist and offensive ad, first thing on a Wednesday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

thats the great thing about a discussion board. you get everybody's opinion. feel free to ignore those you dont like.

Get this non specific gender human a responsibly farmed kale and chia smoothie stat, ze's flagging big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Because they are inferior to the black mens opinion, or even fake Jews?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm sure white American Reddit does seen as it was a thing in America.

He starts it all off with "in the united states"

This is not the United States :)

The interesting thing I find with the whole SJW nonsense and their concept of privilege is this, if I, as a white, european male, am top of the pile and have won all the privileges. Why the f**k would I not perpetuate that system of privilege? I mean you're average screamy college campus yank can't claim that they're a proponent of egalitarianism given their own behaviour so what grounds are they appealing on?

thats the great thing about a discussion board. you get everybody's opinion. feel free to ignore those you dont like.

Oh, I've got white people's opinion's already. More than 30 pages of it in fact.
    I specifically wanted to know if white people on boards have bothered to ask black people how they feel about blackface.
    Do their opinions matter at all to us or do we just project ours onto them?

Oh, I've got white people's opinion's already. More than 20 pages of it in fact.
    I specifically wanted to know if white people on boards have bothered to ask black people how they feel about blackface.

Any insight on the Fake Jews though?

Oh, I've got white people's opinion's already. More than 20 pages of it in fact.

The woman who started all this is black. Her opinion seems to be that it's racist but she also appears to be racist so it's difficult to ascertain who Is correct. Hence this thread.

It's not racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You specifically asked me question on a discussion forum.

You may not want opinions from a white man but I'll chat with anyone. Ball's in your court.

• Advertisement

The woman who started all this is black. Her opinion seems to be that it's racist but she also appears to be racist so it's difficult to ascertain who Is correct. Hence this thread.

It's not racist.

Since you insist on answering for black people, maybe you could answer this.

Do you find this caricature of Irish people to be offensive.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/TheUsualIrishWayofDoingThings.jpg

Advertisement