Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Isn't that James P. Sullivan of Monsters Inc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Isn't that James P. Sullivan of Monsters Inc.?

You're being silly.

Caption.
    American political cartoon by Thomas Nast titled "The Usual Irish Way of Doing Things", depicting a drunken Irishman lighting a powder keg and swinging a bottle. Published 2 September 1871 in Harper's Weekly.

You specifically asked me question on a discussion forum.

You may not want opinions from a white man but I'll chat with anyone. Ball's in your court.

I said that I already know what white people think.
    I wanted your input on whether you've actually bothered to determine how black people feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Oh, I've got white people's opinion's already. More than 30 pages of it in fact.
    I specifically wanted to know if white people on boards have bothered to ask black people how they feel about blackface.
    Do their opinions matter at all to us or do we just project ours onto them?

how do you know the ethnicity of the posters here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Since you insist on answering for black people, maybe you could answer this.

Do you find this caricature of Irish people to be offensive.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/TheUsualIrishWayofDoingThings.jpg

Reminds me of myself. No. I'm not offended by that. It is a historical document.

• Advertisement

how do you know the ethnicity of the posters here?

I don't.
    I'm making an assumption that the majority of posters are white and Irish.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Reminds me of myself. No. I'm not offended by that. It is a historical document.

So if an English person wore a white colored "ape like mask" and peasant clothes with a bag of potatoes, a bomb in one hand, a bottle of whiskey in the other and caricatured a "drunk and stupid" Irish person, you would not be the least bit offended?

So if an English person wore a white colored "ape like mask" and peasant clothes with a bag of potatoes, a bomb in one hand, a bottle of whiskey in the other and caricatured a "drunk and stupid" Irish person, you would not be the least bit offended?

No. I'm Scottish.

not in the slightest. i'd laugh at them for being a feckin' eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

According to the one

The indigioneous people of ireland were black

Mind=blown

And apparently calling white people 'massa', as in master, is hilarious.

• Advertisement

Smondie wrote: »
    According to the one

Mind=blown

The one on Facebook?

The one on Facebook?

That's the one

According to the one

Mind=blown

i think they watched the commitments and took jimmy rabbitte too literally.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kneel Ayn Rudd niece massa

No. I'm Scottish.

hahaha.

I love the Scottish humor.

My favorite scene from trainspotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

According to the one

Mind=blown

They were probably wiped out by Yakub's evil creations.

hahaha.

I love the Scottish humor.

My favorite scene from trainspotting.

was that not a documentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

According to the one

Mind=blown

Unsure who you mean by "the one", but the term "black Irish" is a thing, but it doesn't refer to skin colour; rather to the traditional Irish colouring of dark (Celtic, I believe) hair, fair skin and grey or blue eyes.

As regards the original post, no, I don't think white people should "black up" and go out. Dressing as a specific person is one thing, and yes, it's one of the greyer areas as it's not innately offensive in itself. I think "blacking up" in tracksuits and whatever is just weird and the message it puts across isn't exactly the most pleasant. It's not something I'd like to see as part of what people think Ireland is like.

There are connotations to blackface. You can deny them all you like because we didn't do anything, but if you're going to do something "American", you're a bit of a fool if you ignore what it means in America. This isn't really like the Svarte Piet business, which was indeed silly.

Quite a lot of people disagree on this, well, fine, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't believe that I am being foolishly "PC" by thinking it distasteful.

not in the slightest. i'd laugh at them for being a feckin' eejit.

They colonized and oppressed you for 800 years and you'd laff it off.
    I don't think everyone has such thick skin tho.
    Can't expect them to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I don't.
    I'm making an assumption that the majority of posters are white and Irish.

Nice bit of racial profiling there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Since you insist on answering for black people, maybe you could answer this.

Do you find this caricature of Irish people to be offensive.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/TheUsualIrishWayofDoingThings.jpg

You mean like this one?

http://davewalshphoto.photoshelter.com/img/pixel.gif

Or this one?

http://www.travelandleisure.com/sites/default/files/styles/tnl_redesign_article_landing_page/public/1458228145/saint-patricks-day-dublin0316.jpg?itok=YkmQQR97

Amazingly no one was triggered and everyone just got on with their lives :confused:

Must be that white privilege

They colonized and oppressed you for 800 years and you'd laff it off.
    I don't think everyone has such thick skin tho.
    Can't expect them to either.

i think most irish people would laugh at them and consider them eejits. If another irish person wants to take offence then that is up to them. But if somebody who isnt Irish wants to take offence on our behalf they can feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Just how black are we talking here?

Samaris wrote: »
    Unsure who you mean by "the one", but the term "black Irish" is a thing, but it doesn't refer to skin colour; rather to the traditional Irish colouring of dark (Celtic, I believe) hair, fair skin and grey or blue eyes.

As regards the original post, no, I don't think white people should "black up" and go out. Dressing as a specific person is one thing, and yes, it's one of the greyer areas as it's not innately offensive in itself. I think "blacking up" in tracksuits and whatever is just weird and the message it puts across isn't exactly the most pleasant. It's not something I'd like to see as part of what people think Ireland is like.

There are connotations to blackface. You can deny them all you like because we didn't do anything, but if you're going to do something "American", you're a bit of a fool if you ignore what it means in America. This isn't really like the Svarte Piet business, which was indeed silly.

Quite a lot of people disagree on this, well, fine, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't believe that I am being foolishly "PC" by thinking it distasteful.

The one isrhelady who complained on the first place; whom the article is about.

She is referring to skin colour

They weren't just track suits it was fancy dress.

How is zwarte piet different, it's white men painting themselves black.

Is it because it's European and not American?

If they had dressed as zwarte piet you'd be cool with it?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Nice bit of racial profiling there.

Not really. In engineering we make assumptions all the time when presented with problems with insufficient data.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If they had dressed as zwarte piet you'd be cool with it?

I'm offended on behalf of the satanist and heathen communities by people dressing up as perchten and krampus :mad:

i think most irish people would laugh at them and consider them eejits. If another irish person wants to take offence then that is up to them. ......

Lets flip the bolded part and apply it to the blackface incident.
    If a black person wants to take offence then that is up to them. ......

Lets flip the bolded part and apply it to the blackface incident.

anybody is free to take offence. what effect do you think that should have?

anybody is free to take offence. what effect do you think that should have?

I think that in the interest of racial harmony these types of behaviors should be discouraged, if not banned.

Now you might be thick skinned to laugh it off but bear in mind that previous generations of Irish people in Ireland, England and America had to endure racial discrimination and oppression because of the belief that the Irish were drunk, murderous and stupid.
    Caricatures like the ones I posted about contributed to the oppression. I can assure you, no Irish were laughing back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think that in the interest of racial harmony these types of behaviors should be discouraged, if not banned.

Now you might be thick skinned to laugh it off but bear in mind that previous generations of Irish people in Ireland, England and America had to endure racial discrimination and oppression because of the belief that the Irish were drunk, murderous and stupid.
    Caricatures like the ones I posted about contributed to the oppression. I can assure you, no Irish were laughing back then.
    Racial harmony? That's some scary language. Maybe not everyone's interested in your sinister social engineering.

Advertisement