Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I said that I already know what white people think. I wanted your input on whether you've actually bothered to determine how black people feel.

Seems you've got call the bases covered then. So why bother using a public discussion forum.

The point I was making, and you singularly ignored save telling me you don't want it, is that people are to be treated equally. Black lads are not a protected species the same way french lads are not a protected species. Dressing as someone else is not necessarily derogatory or racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

I think that in the interest of racial harmony these types of behaviors should be discouraged, if not banned.

Now you might be thick skinned to laugh it off but bear in mind that previous generations of Irish people in Ireland, England and America had to endure racial discrimination and oppression because of the belief that the Irish were drunk, murderous and stupid.
    Caricatures like the ones I posted about contributed to the oppression. I can assure you, no Irish were laughing back then.

Taking offense on behalf of dead people?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Racial harmony? That's some scary language. Maybe not everyone's interested in your sinister social engineering.

It's not meant to be sinister at all.
    Sad that it scares you.
    Treat yourself to a doner kebab or a chicken vindaloo.
    That should cheer you up.

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm offended on behalf of the satanist and heathen communities by people dressing up as perchten and krampus :mad:

It's just the Americans and Irish they're after. The Europeans are excused

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think that in the interest of racial harmony these types of behaviors should be discouraged, if not banned.

Now you might be thick skinned to laugh it off but bear in mind that previous generations of Irish people in Ireland, England and America had to endure racial discrimination and oppression because of the belief that the Irish were drunk, murderous and stupid.
    Caricatures like the ones I posted about contributed to the oppression. I can assure you, no Irish were laughing back then.

i dont live in the past.

• Advertisement

Black lads are not a protected species the same way french lads are not a protected species. Dressing as someone else is not necessarily derogatory or racist.

Doesn't quite work.
    Black people and French people are not mutually exclusive.

i dont live in the past.

I know.
    One learns from it tho....

Smondie wrote: »
    Taking offense on behalf of dead people?

No.
    I just recalled an example of the link between caricaturing a people and oppression from the historical record.

I know.
    One learns from it tho....

have we not learned from it?

i dont live in the past.

This happened only 4 years ago.

.........Almost weekly we are reading in our local newspapers and in Irish newspapers of the antisocial behaviour among the young Irish arriving now. Jobs are being advertised, illegally I might add, with “No Irish Need Apply” in the description. Private rental owners are also advertising “No Irish Need Apply”. Naturally we Irish here are horrified, and the discrimination is being addressed by the appropriate authorities.

However, it is important not to miss the point. These discriminatory comments are a symptom, not the cause. The cause is the disgraceful behaviour of drunken Irish louts causing trouble in entertainment areas, being consistently unreliable at work, applying for jobs they are not skilled to do and destroying rental properties by having out of control parties and leaving them in a dreadful condition when they vacate.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2012/08/29/bad-behaviour/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Is there any chance her Fake Jews hatred was misspelled Fake Juice hatred, and her beef is with Kia Oras terrible caricaturing in their TV ads?

No.
    I just recalled an example of the link between caricaturing a people and oppression from the historical record.

What have we learned?

Is it better to fester in bitternes?

No.

have we not learned from it?
    Some haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

What have we learned?

TWITTER! #outrage!

This happened only 4 years ago.

did you read the article you linked to?
    However, it is important not to miss the point. These discriminatory comments are a symptom, not the cause. The cause is the disgraceful behaviour of drunken Irish louts causing trouble in entertainment areas, being consistently unreliable at work, applying for jobs they are not skilled to do and destroying rental properties by having out of control parties and leaving them in a dreadful condition when they vacate.

Doesn't quite work. Black people and French people are not mutually exclusive.

Thats true but what on earth does that have to do with what I said since it changes nothing? To clarify, neither are protected species and if someone is black and french, they're still not a protected species. Equality

What ever about the other behaviour what has "applying for jobs they are not qualified to do" got with anything?

Isn't that why companies have hr departments and interviews, selection processes Tec?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Racist, probably not.

Ill advised and unfunny, yes.

No. I put on a blindfold and posted it for you to read.

Now sir.
    What exactly is your point.

• Advertisement

Racist, probably not.

Ill advised and unfunny, yes.

i think that about sums it up. It certainly doesnt justify the outrage that has been shown.

No. I put on a blindfold and posted it for you to read.

Now sir.
    What exactly is your point.

that this is unrelated to the discrimination of old.

She puts up a picture of Melanesian blondes to prove blonde hair is natural in africa. Papa new guinea is a long way from Africa as far as i'm aware.

Thats true but what on earth does that have to do with what I said since it changes nothing? To clarify, neither are protected species and if someone is black and french, they're still not a protected species. Equality

It changes it, since as you know, you could be both French and Black.
    French is a nationality.
    Black is a race.

Have I suggested that some groups are protected and others not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

34 pages on this, Christ. Anyone offended by it should get a hobby and lighten up. Save your outrage for something that actually matters, not a few lads dressing up as characters from one of their favourite films. The faux outrage on this only perpetuates racism ironically enough.

It changes it, since as you know, you could be both French and Black. French is a nationality. Black is a race.

Doesn't change anything though as dressing as either is not necessarily derogatory.
    Have I suggested that some groups are protected and others not?

I don't know what you're saying as you seem a bit confused to bw honest. To clarify I'll just ask: do you think some groups should be protected?

that this is unrelated to the discrimination of old.

It is related.

Doesn't change anything though as dressing as either is not necessarily derogatory.

I don't know what you're saying as you seem a bit confused to bw honest. To clarify I'll just ask: do you think some groups should be protected?

I can't actually think of caricatures of French people, black, brown or white, that might be offensive to them.
    Are there any?
    Hypothetically speaking though, if there were any then yes, the French, black, brown or white, should be protected.
    All groups of people should be protected from offensive behavior and discrimination.
    This includes the racist ads forbidding Irish from renting apartments and/or working working in Australia, Poland and America.

I can't actually think of caricatures of French people, black, brown or white, that might be offensive to them. Are there any? Hypothetically speaking though, if there were any then yes, the French, black, brown or white, should be protected. All groups of people should be protected from offensive behavior and discrimination. This includes the racist ads forbidding Irish from renting apartments and/or working working in Australia, Poland and America.

Fair enough. I don't think dressing up as someone should be considered offensive or discrimination.

• Advertisement

It is related.

ah, automatic gainsaying. Monty python wrote a funny sketch about that. go look it up. it will save both of us a lot of time.

Advertisement