Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Have ye read the comments on that Facebook post?? That girl who posted it is calling white people pigs and complaining about racism...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Have ye read the comments on that Facebook post?? That girl who posted it is calling white people pigs and complaining about racism...

no, no, that's ok. black people cant be racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I don't have a Facebook account. Was there any explanation of the hatred for Fake Jews, or even a clarification of who these Fake Jews are when they're being thick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Chill "pekkerwood"

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

That is horrible.
    Can you post a screenshot here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It changes it, since as you know, you could be both French and Black.
    French is a nationality.
    Black is a race.

Have I suggested that some groups are protected and others not?

Would you ban Pepe le Pew?

Would you ban Pepe le Pew?

Who is that?

That is horrible.
    Can you post a screenshot here.

imgur.com/Cse16Qz

Picture attached.

I don't have a Facebook account. Was there any explanation of the hatred for Fake Jews, or even a clarification of who these Fake Jews are when they're being thick?

She refuses to respnd to these comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I heard some woman on the radio last week going on about ba ba black sheep and that it was racist :rolleyes: I wonder how does she connect black sheep to slavery?

Picture attached.

Is there any context to this.

The link I posted has what she is replying to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Your a racist for mentioning that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

none that would excuse it. http://imgur.com/Cse16Qz

• Registered Users Posts: 34,164 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

wow!

****ing hell lady.

If this was White Male this be all over the internet.

She is a Sociopath

Definitely not.

She personally lost the argument right there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭JuliusSeizure

If she hates 'peckerwoods' why move to Ireland?

Is there a link that you can share from a computer?
    Sorry for the bother.
    I might just respond to her racist cr*p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sorry for the bother.

Well, maybe we should all over react and protest outside the shop she works in.

Triggered.outraged. #iweepforhumanity

• Advertisement

Sorry for the bother.

She can't be racist

Definitely not.

She personally lost the argument right there.

Even though she was called a ****** and told to go home, she still should have not responded with racism.
    You cannot tackle racism with racism.
    The minute you do that, you have lost the fight.
    At least, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

She's on the WUM now surely?

Even though she was called a ****** and told to go home, she still should have not responded with racism.
    You cannot tackle racism with racism.
    The minute you do that, you have lost the fight.
    At least, in my opinion.

Whatcha gonna do, eradicate people stupid enough to rise to that bait and respond in that way? Dodgy ground right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe i need glasses but is she not white?

razorblunt wrote: »
    She's on the WUM now surely?

Jaypers unseen footage has invested a lot of time and energy in trying to convince us we are all the worst racists ever for not leaping around wailing with outrage over these lads, gonna be very disappointing for him if it was all WUMming.

Jaypers unseen footage has invested a lot of time and energy in trying to convince us we are all the worst racists ever for not leaping around wailing with outrage over these lads, gonna be very disappointing for him if it was all WUMming.

I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Smondie wrote: »
    The one isrhelady who complained on the first place; whom the article is about.

She is referring to skin colour

They weren't just track suits it was fancy dress.

How is zwarte piet different, it's white men painting themselves black.

Is it because it's European and not American?

If they had dressed as zwarte piet you'd be cool with it?

Some of them were in fancy dress (well, they were dressed as the guys from Cool Runnings), some of them were just in ordinary clothes with blackface (this has been clarified several times).

Zwarte Piet is an interesting one as it has changed many times through its history. It was originally some sort of small demon creature, became reimagined as a Moorish slave, and in the 20thC became a soot-blackened man (who may or may not be human). The depictions with the big lips, gold earrings and frizzy wig are conflated with some of the old blackface images, and they could probably be discarded. Overall though, it's a fantastic (as in fantasy) character rather than a depiction of a person. Some of the depictions could be made less American though.

Also, yes, it IS a Dutch tradition. The blackface that those guys were wearing were harkening more towards the American one.

Having said that, there isn't anything inherently wrong with painting your face black, and they didn't go full-on caricature so after some rethinking over it I lean more towards their being kinda eejits rather than racists.

Also, she is factually incorrect about the original natives of Ireland being black; Ireland wasn't settled until long after the skin tone changed "out of Africa".

Samaris wrote: »
    Some of them were in fancy dress (well, they were dressed as the guys from Cool Runnings), some of them were just in ordinary clothes with blackface (this has been clarified several times).

Zwarte Piet is an interesting one as it has changed many times through its history. It was originally some sort of small demon creature, became reimagined as a Moorish slave, and in the 20thC became a soot-blackened man (who may or may not be human). The depictions with the big lips, gold earrings and frizzy wig are conflated with some of the old blackface images, and they could probably be discarded. Overall though, it's a fantastic (as in fantasy) character rather than a depiction of a person. Some of the depictions could be made less American though.

Also, yes, it IS a Dutch tradition. The blackface that those guys were wearing were harkening more towards the American one.

Having said that, there isn't anything inherently wrong with painting your face black, and they didn't go full-on caricature so after some rethinking over it I lean more towards their being kinda eejits rather than racists.

Also, she is factually incorrect about the original natives of Ireland being black; Ireland wasn't settled until long after the skin tone changed "out of Africa".

You agreement supporting zwarte Pete is nonsense. He is blackface with the hair and the lips, all he's short of is a watermelon

• Advertisement

I have?

You haven't?????

Advertisement