Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

OK the article is about some guys wearing blackface but is the post by the woman just as racist or is it just ignorant?

" To think they so desperately include Irish people in slavery conversations smh. Any idiot who uses Irish people as examples of white slavery should drown in the freaking liffey ???. "

Irish people were brought as slaves to the Caribbean & in many cases treated worse than the African slaves. Is slavery only what happened to Africans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Help!!!! wrote: »
    OK the article is about some guys wearing blackface but is the post by the woman just as racist or is it just ignorant?

" To think they so desperately include Irish people in slavery conversations smh. Any idiot who uses Irish people as examples of white slavery should drown in the freaking liffey ???. "

Irish people were brought as slaves to the Caribbean & in many cases treated worse than the African slaves. Is slavery only what happened to Africans?
    Yes, she has research to prove it. Check her fb page, she's is a massive racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It might be offensive to some, but it certainly isn't racist. Your one who wrote the Facebook post would want to take a look at herself.

114 Thanks on this post to date. 114 Irish people think blackface isn't raciest. You can't have something that is raciest in one country but not in another. Raciest is raciest in every country. It truly saddens me to see how our country is.

http://www.thejournal.ie/afl-player-blackface-row-2950354-Aug2016/
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    114 Thanks on this post to date. 114 Irish people think blackface isn't raciest. You can't have something that is raciest in one country but not in another. Raciest is raciest in every country. It truly saddens me to see how our country is.

Yes you can, What if a black person did blackface ? Skin tone is not racist. Again I'm very very white. On what tone of the fake tan would make me blacking up ? and that picture is not blackface on the kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It might be racist but its definitely not raciest.

• Advertisement

Yes you can, What if a black person did blackface ? Skin tone is not racist. Again I'm very very white. On what tone of the fake tan would make me blacking up ? and that picture is not blackface on the kid.

Blackface is blackface. It's nothing to do with your own skin tone????

Blackface is blackface. It's nothing to do with your own skin tone????

We all know what blackface is it's a caricature of black African slaves in the USA. The Aussie guy is Fijian for a start. And the kid had no idea as he was not being racist he went to the trouble of doing his arms as well. I find it a bit rich a Fijian athlete banging on about stuff to do with Black African Slaves in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Racy?

We all know what blackface is it's a caricature of black African slaves in the USA. The Aussie guy is Fijian for a start. And the kid had no idea as he was not being racist he went to the trouble of doing his arms as well. I find it a bit rich a Fijian athlete banging on about stuff to do with Black African Slaves in the USA.

The point of the article is that the kid was being racist even if he didn't know it. It's racist even if you are Irish. I really don't understand how so many Irish people don't get it. Oh but it's not racist in Ireland doesn't cut it.

The point of the article is that the kid was being racist even if he didn't know it. It's racist even if you are Irish. I really don't understand how so many Irish people don't get it. Oh but it's not racist in Ireland doesn't cut it.

No he was not Fiji has nothing to do with Black Face. Or we saying dark skinned people are one humongous group and have no separate countries ?

• Advertisement

No he was not Fiji has nothing to do with Black Face. Or we saying dark skinned people are one humongous group and have no separate countries ?

I think we are saying that Irish people need to learn more about what is & isn't racist. That what is racist in one country is racist in all..

Blackface actually isn't about slavery in America btw

I think we are saying that Irish people need to learn more about what is & isn't racist. That what is racist in one country is racist in all..

I'm Not Irish, Care to elaborate what you think blackface is about then ? Are you also saying dark skinned people are all one group ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'm Not Irish, Care to elaborate what you think blackface is about then ? Are you also saying dark skinned people are all one group ?

I tan really well and I was just wondering if, after the weather for the last two days should I be outraged?

I tan really well and I was just wondering if, after the weather for the last two days should I be outraged?

Stop appropriating melanin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Any news on her Fake Jews comment?

Who are these fake Jews she mentions and are they making a mockery of other people and their culture??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

http://black-face.com

"Originating in the White man's characterizations of plantation slaves and free blacks during the era of minstrel shows (1830-1890), the caricatures took such a firm hold on the American imagination that audiences expected any person with dark skin, no matter what their background, to conform to one or more of the stereotypes:"

And the whole "white girls" movie... just a crime against comedy? Or something far more sinister?

Any news on her Fake Jews comment?

Who are these fake Jews she mentions and are they making a mockery of other people and their culture??????

I wonder what her opinion on Michael Jackson is ? Is he still an African American or what ? I mean as it seems skin tone is a deciding factor and he did try to get rid of all traces of his African American roots with plastic surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Raciness is raciness? If I black up in the privacy of my own home is it raciest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

'Sleeper', some people just don't want to know and refuse to acknowledge that 'blackface' is racist and offensive. If you look back on this thread you'll see that I've tried my best, but to little or no avail.

''The stock characters of blackface minstrelsy have played a significant role in disseminating racist images, attitudes and perceptions worldwide. Every immigrant group was stereotyped on the music hall stage during the 19th Century, but the history of prejudice, hostility, and ignorance towards black people has insured a unique longevity to the stereotypes. White America's conceptions of Black entertainers were shaped by minstrelsy's mocking caricatures and for over one hundred years the belief that Blacks were racially and socially inferior was fostered by legions of both white and black performers in blackface.'' - Blackface! - The History

Btw, you're correct in saying that it wasn't just confined to America, on this side of the pond 'The Black and White Minstrel Show' was on our TV's in 1978!

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/honky_tv_britains_racist_black_and_white_minstrel_show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's actually quite interesting I was watching morris dancing on the youbetube and some styles wear black facepaint.

Predates the whole minstrel carry on by some time too but maybe it's raciest now.

Or maybe some people should just be told to go and ****e

Bambi wrote: »
    It's actually quite interesting I was watching morris dancing on the youbetube and some styles wear black facepaint.

Predates the whole minstrel carry on by some time too but maybe it's raciest now.

Or maybe some people should just be told to go and ****e

The Dutch are massive raciests too apparently. Except the non white ones. They can call people "Fake Jews" all they want.

Zxclnic wrote: »
    'Sleeper', some people just don't want to know and refuse to acknowledge that 'blackface' is racist and offensive. If you look back on this thread you'll see that I've tried my best, but to little or no avail.

''The stock characters of blackface minstrelsy have played a significant role in disseminating racist images, attitudes and perceptions worldwide. Every immigrant group was stereotyped on the music hall stage during the 19th Century, but the history of prejudice, hostility, and ignorance towards black people has insured a unique longevity to the stereotypes. White America's conceptions of Black entertainers were shaped by minstrelsy's mocking caricatures and for over one hundred years the belief that Blacks were racially and socially inferior was fostered by legions of both white and black performers in blackface.'' - Blackface! - The History

Btw, you're correct in saying that it wasn't just confined to America, on this side of the pond 'The Black and White Minstrel Show' was on our TV's in 1978!

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/honky_tv_britains_racist_black_and_white_minstrel_show

What was a black and white minstrel is it all black people now ? If you are going down that rout then we are all still black. All our DNA is from Africa some kept skin tones some did not.

I have a fairly good idea what SJW's want to do with people that don't realise they are Racist.

http://www.puremovies.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/a-clockwork-orange-puremovies-620x299.jpg

In the southern hemisphere they call Pakistanis Paki's but in England its deemed racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

What was a black and white minstrel is it all black people now ? If you are going down that rout then we are all still black. All our DNA is from Africa some kept skin tones some did not.

I'm talking about the TV show, more info below in this link.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/black-white-minstrel-show-most-2077085

Help!!!! wrote: »
    In the southern hemisphere they call Pakistanis Paki's but in England its deemed racist.

Irel's Irel's everywhere !!!

Zxclnic wrote: »
    I'm talking about the TV show, more info below in this link.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/black-white-minstrel-show-most-2077085

Move the goalpost all one likes. I hear they had a Racist Empire too.

Anyone ever see Al Jolson? This wasn't racist, it was a celebration of African American

Jolson first heard African-American music, such as jazz, blues, and ragtime, played in the back alleys of New Orleans, Louisiana. He enjoyed singing the new jazz-style of music. Often performing in blackface, especially in the songs he made popular, such as "Swanee", "My Mammy", and "Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody". Jolson's black stage persona, called "Gus" was a wily and wise-cracking servant who was always smarter than his white masters, frequently helping them out of problems they created for themselves. In this way, Jolson used comedy to poke fun at the prevalent idea of "white supremacy".

• Advertisement

In fairness until the black community stops calling each other " ****** " Stops calling black people who do well for themselves " Coconuts " & stops calling those of mixed race " Black " things are not gonna change

Advertisement