Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Help!!!! wrote: »
    In the southern hemisphere they call Pakistanis Paki's but in England its deemed racist.

Do you mean Australia, and if so are you saying that the Pakistani community in that country think it's fine to be referred to as Pakis?

Move the goalpost all one likes. I hear they had a Racist Empire too.

Move the goalposts?
    Just to remind you, the thread title is:
    'Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface.'

That's what I'm talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Zxclnic wrote: »
    Do you mean Australia, and if so are you saying that the Pakistani community in that country think it's fine to be referred to as Pakis?

How many Aussies get triggered ? Yanks ? Brits ? Scott's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

What was a black and white minstrel is it all black people now ? If you are going down that rout then we are all still black. All our DNA is from Africa some kept skin tones some did not.
    Not all our DNA is from Africa,
    Europeans have a percentage of Neanderthal DNA that people from sub Sahara do not share,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

New Zealand & South Africa as well. Paki is short for Pakistan don't see why they would think its not fine.

• Advertisement

Move the goalposts?
    Just to remind you, the thread title is:
    'Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface.'

That's what I'm talking about!

But they did not cause Outrage. And were not wearing blackface. They were wearing a costume. And some were taking part. What will people do when blackface is gone ?

I love inspector gadget.

How many Aussies get triggered ? Yanks ? Brits ? Scott's ?

Scott's?

http://www.scottshotelkillarney.com/

gw80 wrote: »
    Not all our DNA is from Africa,
    Europeans have a percentage of Neanderthal DNA that people from sub Sahara do not share,

link...

New Zealand & South Africa as well. Paki is short for Pakistan don't see why they would think its not fine.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Paki" is a racial slur directed towards Pakistanis, and others of South Asian origin,[1] including Indians, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans. The slur is used chiefly in the United Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Zxclnic wrote:
    Btw, you're correct in saying that it wasn't just confined to America, on this side of the pond 'The Black and White Minstrel Show' was on our TV's in 1978!

And yet a boards member thought it funny to post the old Lyons tea add. Like I say we are one of the most racist countries in the world. Where else would you see so many try say what is racist worldwide isn't racist here.
    Help!!!! wrote:
    In the southern hemisphere they call Pakistanis Paki's but in England its deemed racist.

Sorry dude but it is racist everywhere in the world to use the term Paki, chink etc. My head hurts reading so much ignorance. Was my generation the only one that actually covered racism in school?

• Advertisement

link...

I'm useless at links,
    Just type in "why am I Neanderthal" into Google, put the link up for me if you want 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    And yet a boards member thought it funny to post the old Lyons tea add. Like I say we are one of the most racist countries in the world. Where else would you see so many try say what is racist worldwide isn't racist here.

Sorry dude but it is racist everywhere in the world to use the term Paki, chink etc. My head hurts reading so much ignorance. Was my generation the only one that actually covered racism in school?

By "worldwide" one can assume that you mean america of course

A common mistake for some people given their hobby horses.

I'm useless at links,
    Just type in "why am I Neanderthal" into Google, put the link up for me if you want 🙂

there were 3 mating periods with modern humans. If that's the best one can come up with were not 100% directly from Africa. What will that say about African Americans then ? Sounds awfully Master race like....

Anyone ever see Al Jolson? This wasn't racist, it was a celebration of African American

Jolson first heard African-American music, such as jazz, blues, and ragtime, played in the back alleys of New Orleans, Louisiana. He enjoyed singing the new jazz-style of music. Often performing in blackface, especially in the songs he made popular, such as "Swanee", "My Mammy", and "Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody". Jolson's black stage persona, called "Gus" was a wily and wise-cracking servant who was always smarter than his white masters, frequently helping them out of problems they created for themselves. In this way, Jolson used comedy to poke fun at the prevalent idea of "white supremacy".

Jolson's black stage persona ''Gus'', from another era I know, sounds very suspect and not unlike Jim Davidson's 'mate' ''Chalkie''.

We think we know Jim Davidson; the south London, Page 3 girl-dating, Thatcher-loving, Our Boys-supporting, gay-baiting, hard-drinking, racist standup comedian. In the 80s his routine was infamous for his depictions of the character Chalky – a slow-witted and stereotypical black character with a weed habit and Jamaican accent. Watching him as a child, to my eyes Davidson didn't seem a hardcore bigot like Bernard Manning. With his breezy manner and cheeky-chappy air, Davidson reminded me of a weak-minded schoolboy who goes along with the bullying as he knows it will make him popular. - The Guardian

www.theguardian.com/stage/2011/mar/06/jim-davidson-stand-up-be-counted

Jolson's black stage persona ''Gus'', from another era I know, sounds very suspect and not unlike Jim Davidson's 'mate' ''Chalkie''.

We think we know Jim Davidson; the south London, Page 3 girl-dating, Thatcher-loving, Our Boys-supporting, gay-baiting, hard-drinking, racist standup comedian. In the 80s his routine was infamous for his depictions of the character Chalky – a slow-witted and stereotypical black character with a weed habit and Jamaican accent. Watching him as a child, to my eyes Davidson didn't seem a hardcore bigot like Bernard Manning. With his breezy manner and cheeky-chappy air, Davidson reminded me of a weak-minded schoolboy who goes along with the bullying as he knows it will make him popular. - The Guardian

www.theguardian.com/stage/2011/mar/06/jim-davidson-stand-up-be-counted

Awfully obsessed with the UK.... Thought these lads were in Dublin in fancy dress ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bambi wrote:
    By "worldwide" one can assume that you mean america of course

You've just proved my point here. Irish people need education on racism. If something is racist in one country its racist in all. This childish mentality of we didn't have black slaves in Ireland so its not racist here is ridiculous.

I'm useless at links,

There you go, how right you are!

''Everyone living outside of Africa today has a small amount of Neanderthal in them, carried as a living relic of these ancient encounters.'' - National Geographic.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/

Awfully obsessed with the UK.... Thought these lads were in Dublin in fancy dress ?

I have given my opinions on that specific incident earlier in the thread.

It was at best, stupid and wrongheaded, and at worst, deliberately racist.

Happy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Anyone see the guys in Dublin dressed up as Jamaican coal miners the other day?
    Cant understand how outraged some people were at them. You cant even dress up as a coal miner anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You've just proved my point here. Irish people need education on racism. If something is racist in one country its racist in all. This childish mentality of we didn't have black slaves in Ireland so its not racist here is ridiculous.

Sounds like cultural imperialism to me. Yep, sounds just like that.

You'd wanna have a word with the Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, actually most of Asia. A sizeable amount of europe once your past Poland and pretty much everywhere else on this planet that hasn't imported the sensitivities of project snowflake from the states.

Ireland will still proudly boast restaurants and chippers with the word "oriental" in them and no one will be the worse for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

114 Thanks on this post to date. 114 Irish people think blackface isn't raciest. You can't have something that is raciest in one country but not in another. Raciest is raciest in every country. It truly saddens me to see how our country is.

http://www.thejournal.ie/afl-player-blackface-row-2950354-Aug2016/
    :mad::mad::mad:

Altering the kids skin tone to match that of the Fijian AFL player they were paying tribute to is not racist.

Say a black guy wanted to dress as Shane McGowan for Halloween - then bad teeth, slurred speech and a pasty pallor (using white face paint) would help in carrying off the look successfully. Likewise, attending a party dressed as Mr.T would require a similar change of skin tone and an adherence to behaviours and catchphrases associated with that characters persona. Were someone to dress as a generic black man however, and act out an ill-judged series of traits and characteristics which they believe captures the essence of an entire race, then that would be cause for taking exception.

There you go, how right you are!

''Everyone living outside of Africa today has a small amount of Neanderthal in them, carried as a living relic of these ancient encounters.'' - National Geographic.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/

And does not say most of our DNA is African does it....

there were 3 mating periods with modern humans. If that's the best one can come up with were not 100% directly from Africa. What will that say about African Americans then ? Sounds awfully Master race like....
    Jesus, who said anything about the master race,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    Anyone see the guys in Dublin dressed up as Jamaican coal miners the other day?
    Cant understand how outraged some people were at them. You cant even dress up as a coal miner anymore

You cant say anything if they're under age.

And does not say most of our DNA is African does it....
    To be fair it's an ongoing and ever evolving field of science,
    Every few years they find a skeleton somewhere that leaves people scratching their heads and speculating differently,
    Recently it's seems that there is a lot of modern European dna in Africans which they say means that a huge number of Europeans must have migrated back to Africa, which some analysts find hard to believe due to the vast numbers of people that it would have taken to achieve the dna present,

It's all very wishy washy for me, but then again I'm not an anthropologist,
    I think it will be a long time before we ever know exactly what happened or how things actually panned out, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

The point of the article is that the kid was being racist even if he didn't know it.
    It's racist even if you are Irish. I really don't understand how so many Irish people don't get it.
    How can you be racist without knowing it?
    Racism is a belief that all members of a certain race have certain characteristic attached to them, usually negative ones.
    As far as this kid is concerned he is dressing up as his hero, that's it.
    Like I say we are one of the most racist countries in the world.
    I'd love to see your proof for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would dawn the 'black face' these days. It's well known for being viewed as racist. Anyone who does so wants to be edgy, be seen as controversial or lets be honest get attention.

It would be no different than dressing up as a prisoner with the star of David on your shirt or to dress up as a Nazi officer. As there are literally a thousand and one things to dress up as. But yet the thousand other ways wouldn't really strike a cord with other people would'nt they? It's all attention seeking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Did ye cover the Fake Jews thing at school?

I find it very confusing. Are Fake Jews not at least as bad as Fake Jamaicans? Why is nobody as upset about these as the blackface?

I mean, it's obviously impossible that the original spark of this thread is a bigoted loonbag herself, so why are all the people jumping up and down about her blackface comments so careful to avoid her Fake Jews comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

The Fijian football player thought it was charming until some white person told him it's not and he SHOULD be offended.

How tf can a child be racist? His hero was a black person and he wanted to look like him.

Now there have been death threats towards the family and somehow this isn't worse than wearing make up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

This group of men are long gone home, probably sitting in their 9-5 office job somewhere in England, completely unaware that Irish forum users are still in such heated debate at their crude attempt at a Jamaican bob-sleighing team.

Advertisement